PDA

View Full Version : Determining maneuvers that can be learnt TOB

Tief
2012-02-01, 11:57 AM
Hi all, reading the Tome of Battle has a few confusing parts in it. Specificity relating to maneuvers and stances that can be learnt.

From what I understand your initiator level is
(Martial class level + (1/2 other class levels))
So if I was a 10 Rogue, 1 Swordsage, I would have an initiator level of 6? which makes me able to take level three maneuvers from the get go?

Or am I very wrong? Because I read a lot about taking a two level dip in Swordsage to get Distracting Ember, Shadow Jaunt etc, but it seems you could take a single level dip and get the same benefits.

If you could point me into some helpful areas for reading about this as well would be great :) thank you

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-01, 12:12 PM
You are right that a level 10 rogue/ swordsage 1 would have an IL of 6 and be able to select maneuvers up to level 3.

The two level dips is recommended because one usually dips Swordsage to get Assassin's Stance for an extra 2d6 SA dice, access to Shadow Blade feats and usually Wis to AC, which you get at level 2. If you only want the maneuvers you can just dip for one level and go your merry way.

Greenish
2012-02-01, 12:13 PM
You're correct. Two level dip gets you another stance, though, and wis to AC. The stance is especially relevant if your DM subscribes to the school of thought that your 1st level stance has to be a 1st level stance, regardless of your IL.

Tief
2012-02-01, 12:25 PM
I see, that is pretty interesting then.
The TOB classes are a lot more versatile than I first thought

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-01, 12:48 PM
Exactly, even if you aren't going full initiator, most if not all classes in 3.5 can benefit even from a single level dip into a ToB class. (martial classes getting the most out of it naturally)

Hunter Noventa
2012-02-01, 05:34 PM
Take care though, even though you can select Level 3 Maneuvers, you still need the prerequisites for them, so you might have to take a Level 1 Maneuver to get your shiny Level 3 Maneuver.