PDA

View Full Version : Help with Low-Op L1 Gnome Bard

missmvicious
2012-02-01, 12:39 PM
Basics:
Lo-Op Play-By-Post game, WoTC published material only, L1 required. Also, RAW and no home-brews. No house-rules except a Heal fix, which I don't have any ranks in, so it's nothing important for this character.

I've got my build. She's a political activist oratory Bard on the early stages of a Diplomancer (not game-breaking Diplomancer... just Diplomacy based).

Here's her rough character sheet. I have to fix the layout and fill in some blanks, but that will happen when I'm finished with her:
Ellyjobel Ningel (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Ellyjobel%20Ningel.pdf)

Anyway, I'm stuck on feats. I want a feat that compliments her back story, included in the character sheet for easy reference. However, I'm worried that shying away from good combat feats will make her kind of useless in any scenario that won't allow us to talk first. Here are my thoughts, copied and lightly modified from a conversation in the PbP forum, since I'm getting the advice of the other players in my group as well:

Improved Trip:
As for Improved Trip, you may have a point, but I have to take Combat Expertise to get it first. My DEX is pretty nice. I have a 15-19 (20?) to AC already depending on what I'm fighting, so Combat Expertise may be good at making me almost impossible to hit. However, I picked the whip because it has reach and therefore can be used up to 15' without provoking an AoO. I don't plan on getting in too close, so Improved Trip won't kick in much, because you have to be in melee range to perform that free melee attack (whip won't do damage to anything with +1 to AC from armor). And to burn 2 feats just to get better at a weapon that is only good at tripping and disarming seemed more wasteful than buffing Diplomacy.

Weapon Finesse:
The PHB suggests Weapon Finesse for the whip (which nabbing a +3 to attack sounds very tempting), but you have to have a BAB of +1, which makes me think: Weapon Focus. That would push me right into the BAB+1 scene and make me a pretty decent mid-range non-lethal puncher. (I say puncher, because Fighter and Warrior have special meanings in D&D, and I don't know what else to call non-casting combatants.) But once again, I'm burning 2 feats to gain talent in a whip, and at L1 I only get one feat.

Why the Whip:
Honestly, I don't have a good reason. I can't figure out what kind of weapon she would use. She's just an idealistic kid with lot's of passion in her blood. Her rage against the current political machine mixed with her youth-fueled idealism makes her eager for a fight, but I don't see her as so much a fighter as a... hm... subversive political commentator. Therefore a weapon would be something she keeps as a backup, the way I carry a can of pepper spray around. I don't have any real intention of using it, but it's there in a pinch. With the whip, I can disarm an opponent, trip them, and let one of the more skillful combatants point a sword at their throat while I try to get some information out of them. I figured I'd play to her strengths. I mean... I put ranks in Perform: Oratory. She's a chatty Cathy, not a... urm Punchy Paula. :smallconfused:

However, for better damage, and a weapon with a bright future in combat, the Gnome Hook Hammer caught my eye. It would make sense that her father would've given her a hand-me-down heritage weapon when I struck out into the big bad world, and Combat Feats would make more sense in that aspect.

What I'd Prefer:
Does anyone know of any feats that buff illusionist magic? As a Bard (and a Gnome) illusions make up the largest part of my arsenal. Using illusions to illustrate my points when I'm trying to motivate a crowd of suburbanites to write to their emperor about why we need change means that I probably would be quite proficient in the school's use. If anyone can think of a feat that gives me more Illusion power, then I can put that school to a world of good use.

Jack Zander
2012-02-01, 12:54 PM
Spell Focus: Illusion comes to mind.

missmvicious
2012-02-01, 01:12 PM
*Slaps face* Wow... why didn't I think of that? Straight from the friggin' PHB. Clearly... I derped. :smallredface:

Darrin
2012-02-01, 01:20 PM
Spell Focus: Illusion comes to mind.

...and it's a prereq for Misleading Song (Races of Stone), which increases the DC and CL by another +1.

Melodic Casting (Complete Mage) is worth grabbing at 1st level. Eliminates the need to put skill ranks in Concentration, and gives you a little leg up in the action economy.

Trivial Knowledge (Races of Stone) might be good if you plan on using Bardic Knowledge a lot.

missmvicious
2012-02-01, 03:17 PM
I've never perused the Races of Stone before. Scrolls through the PDFs. I like where this is going.

I'm going to be using Bardic Knowledge for all my Knowledge checks. I only put ranks in Know: History because I get synergy with Bardic Knowledge at L2.

So now I've got some nifty options. Boost illusions, or boost Knowledge? Hm... that's tough.

BIGMamaSloth
2012-02-01, 07:22 PM
weapon focus won't raise your bab to qualify for weapon finnesse. you need to have +1 base attack bonus, as in attack bonus granted by your class. I think that's what you meant by that section right?

Keld Denar
2012-02-02, 01:34 AM
At first level, Extra Song is clutch. You only get 1 song/day, but this gives you 5 at 1st level. Later, if you get a feat like Lyric Spell, you can burn off those extra music uses for more spells, so its not really a wasted feat late game either...it basically amounts to a bonus 3rd level spell/day, or 2 1st level spells, or 40% of a 9th level spell (assuming you go Sublime Chord). That's a pretty decent use of a feat slot in a low op game.

Inspire Courage gives you a +1 to hit. Disarm rolls are opposed to hit rolls. You have a +1 size bonus, you can wield your weapon 2 handed for another +4, and you get your IC buff, so you should have a decent shot at beating most bad guys your level, especially if someone makes the mistake to PA against on of your allies the round before.

At 2nd level, take the spell Inspirational Boost, and now you have a +2 IC most of the time. Thats an even bigger boost to IC. At 3rd level, you get the feat Songs of the Heart, for a +3 IC total with Insp Boost. That +3 to hit and damage will pretty much coast through for quite a few levels. I wouldn't optimize much past there, since you stated its a low OP group, but thats a nice place to be at. Enable the party, then sit back and take pot shots with your whip.

missmvicious
2012-02-02, 02:01 PM
Darn it. :smallannoyed:

I wish I had checked this out sooner. I've already gotten the character approved. But thanks Keld Dennar. That's one heck of a feat you found! If the DM lets me retool, I may use it. If not, I'll keep it in mind for future Bard builds. Either way, it's getting put on my L1 Bard one day, because that is just glorious.

missmvicious
2012-02-02, 04:37 PM
Which book is Extra Song from? I can't find it anywhere. :smallconfused:

Keld Denar
2012-02-02, 09:06 PM
A quick Google search tells me its actually called Extra Music, and its in the Eberron Campaign Setting book.

All it does is give +4 bardic musics per day. Its exactly like Extra Turning, which is in the PHB, except that they swapped out "turn undead" with "bardic music".

IdleMuse
2012-02-02, 09:58 PM
I believe it's also in the Complete Adventurer, probably the most Bard-oriented Complete, although they get a lot from Warrior and Arcane/Mage as well.