PDA

View Full Version : Quadstalt! (3.5 silly idea)

ShiftedChampion
2012-02-01, 01:05 PM
The next logical step up from tristalt...

Imagine the potential! A fighter/rogue/mage/cleric is an adevnturing party all by themselves! :smallbiggrin:

However, for the sake of what little balance remains, there have to be some restrictions:

1.) You may not have more than two classes that can cast arcane or divine magic.
2.) You may not gain more than 3 bonus feats in a level due to class features.
3.) No prestige classes/multiclassing. You have enough classes already, so stop being greedy.
4.) Alignment wise, strike a balance between the two classes.
Example: A Paladin/Rogue MUST be Neutral Good, as that is a balance between Lawful and Chaotic.

Any other suggestions/patches/critiqiues of this stupidly overpowered system?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-01, 01:09 PM
Rogues can already be Lawful Good. Why do you have to strike a balance between Chaotic and Lawful for a rogue/paladin? :smallconfused:

What about druid/paladins? Druids must be Neutral, Paladins must be Lawful Good. Can a paladin/druid, then, be Lawful Neutral? (A paladin gets Smite Evil and Detect Evil. Would he retain these if he wasn't Good?)

ShiftedChampion
2012-02-01, 01:14 PM
*facepalm*

Sorry, still thinking in ADAD terms. My apologies.

Your example works better.

Frog Dragon
2012-02-01, 02:03 PM
Wizard/Warblade/Factotum/Archivist?

Every role, and mostly Int SAD to boot! What's not to love? :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2012-02-01, 02:16 PM
Why stop at four? There are 48 base classes in 3.5 barring variants and ACFs, so a Quadragenoctostalt character could play all the classes.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p116/ArcherYiZe/alltheclasses.jpg

ShiftedChampion
2012-02-01, 02:28 PM

Why not indeed?

Except, you know, for trying to kill the DM when he tries to keep track of all the spells, feats, class abilities, animals, powers and such like that one character can possess.

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad... :smalltongue:

Prime32
2012-02-01, 08:59 PM
Yo (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10511) dawg (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=32).

Viktyr Gehrig
2012-02-01, 11:10 PM
Kung Fu Genius Qinggong Monk//Factotum//Eidetic Wizard//Sage Sorcerer.

Beg the DM to let me swap Evo and Necro from the Wiz/Sor list (for both classes) for all the Conjuration (Healing) spells.

Let me multiclass one side, and I'll replace Qinggong with Rogue 2/Zen Archer 3/Swashbuckler 3/Soulknife 9/Soulbow 3.

Yitzi
2012-02-01, 11:30 PM

Why not indeed?

Except, you know, for trying to kill the DM when he tries to keep track of all the spells, feats, class abilities, animals, powers and such like that one character can possess.

Actually, that doesn't sound too bad... :smalltongue:

Yeah, if gestalting that many classes you're almost certainly optimizing, so the next logical step is to kill the DM so he can't interfere. :smallbiggrin:

Pyromancer999
2012-02-02, 12:17 AM
This would actually be pretty legit if there was a shortage of players. As in, one player and one DM.

Silva Stormrage
2012-02-02, 06:49 PM
Why stop at four? There are 48 base classes in 3.5 barring variants and ACFs, so a Quadragenoctostalt character could play all the classes.

No you need more. How could you play all the prestige classes with the same character as well :smallbiggrin:. Also are you counting NPC Classes? I am SURE commoner would be worth having in that build.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-02, 06:54 PM
No you need more. How could you play all the prestige classes with the same character as well :smallbiggrin:. Also are you counting NPC Classes? I am SURE commoner would be worth having in that build.

I did count NPC classes, including Magewright.

There are something like 750-odd prestige classes, at least half of which are spellcasting classes requiring 3rd level spells or higher, so you couldn't fit all of them into a 20-level build.

Silva Stormrage
2012-02-02, 08:07 PM
I did count NPC classes, including Magewright.

There are something like 750-odd prestige classes, at least half of which are spellcasting classes requiring 3rd level spells or higher, so you couldn't fit all of them into a 20-level build.

I was joking on the prestige classes :smalltongue: but holy cow! I had no idea there were that many :smalleek:

Elfstone
2012-02-02, 09:33 PM
I played with a group the hypothesized that a Gelstalt/Tristalt/Quadstalt PC is of equal power to a PC (well designed and optimized) of their level +1/+2/+3 respectively. The power scale needed to be shifted slightly for the tri and quad stalts based on the tier of class they played, but in general I think that they were correct. Our games were certainly fun. Lots of options. The Action Economy is what kept everything balanced.

Roxxy
2012-02-02, 09:39 PM
I'd use Pathfinder for this, and build a Fighter/Paladin/Cavalier/Barbarian. As a GM, I don't use alignment, so the Paladin and Barbarian can in fact mesh. There are mount specialized archetypes for Fighters, Paladins, and Barbarians, and I will take them.

gkathellar
2012-02-02, 10:14 PM
WizardStP Erudite/Warblade/Factotum/Archivist?!

Fixed that for you.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-02, 10:54 PM

I don't know why, but I cracked up at this. Maybe I was just wanting a really good joke, since most of them are in Corner Gas and I've watched the entire show five times at least.

erikun
2012-02-03, 12:15 AM

Can I be a bit more reasonable and just play all the psionic classes? Because that would be awesome.

gkathellar
2012-02-03, 07:00 AM
Can I be a bit more reasonable and just play all the psionic classes? Because that would be awesome.

Especially if you get to treat each Psion discipline as a separate class!

nonsi
2012-02-03, 07:58 AM
Wizard/Warblade/Factotum/Archivist?

I would replace Wizard with Totemist.
Totemist/Warblade/Factotum is an insane offensive power and the Archivist covers everything spell-wise.

Reluctance
2012-02-03, 08:13 AM
I think the real question is, at what point does an N-stalt have so much on its plate already, that becoming N+1-stalt provides negligible to zero benefit. Everything else is just creeping one's way towards omnistalt.

tonberrian
2012-02-03, 08:20 AM
I think the real question is, at what point does an N-stalt have so much on its plate already, that becoming N+1-stalt provides negligible to zero benefit. Everything else is just creeping one's way towards omnistalt.

That's easy.

What's the largest number of tier 1, 2, and 3 base classes that aren't mutually exclusive?

legomaster00156
2012-02-04, 12:34 AM
Quadstalt: the day balance died was killed, resurrected, killed again, put into a soul jar, thrown into the Astral Plane, got run into by a githyanki pirate ship, was crushed, freed from the soul jar, sent to the Ninth Layer of Hell, personally tortured by Asmodeus himself, and then sent to burn in Tartarus until the end of days.