PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics limit to item powers?

Tarlek Flamehai
2012-02-01, 05:00 PM
Greetings all,

I've been perusing the magic item creation rules (non-epic) lately and I can't seem to fine maximum power limit for items. I know that individual powers have limits (ie +5 for weapon enhancements), but is there a rule that limits the total number of powers...or at least a clearly defined "this is now an artifact" mechanic? I know GP and XP costs are limiting factors, I am looking for actual rule that delineates the limits of non-artifacts.

Thanks in Advance!

Mystify
2012-02-01, 05:09 PM
Greetings all,

I've been perusing the magic item creation rules (non-epic) lately and I can't seem to fine maximum power limit for items. I know that individual powers have limits (ie +5 for weapon enhancements), but is there a rule that limits the total number of powers...or at least a clearly defined "this is now an artifact" mechanic? I know GP and XP costs are limiting factors, I am looking for actual rule that delineates the limits of non-artifacts.

Thanks in Advance!
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm
This list specifies when an object becomes epic, which is the normal limit for items.

tyckspoon
2012-02-01, 06:49 PM
The Epic line is the practical limit; beyond that, stuff generally costs too much for anybody to actually want to buy it (although it should be noted that the x10 multiplier that causes this only applies to the numerical bonuses- if you combine enough other properties to an item like spell effects or unusual but non-Epic bonus types, you can get an 'Epic' item [because it costs more than 200k] without tripping the Epic multiplier.)

Note that 'artifact' doesn't necessarily mean 'very powerful item' in design terms. It mostly means 'the developers didn't feel like trying to assign a price to this', and sometimes 'these were notable artifacts in previous editions, so they're artifacts now despite not being all that impressive.'

Tarlek Flamehai
2012-02-02, 12:32 PM
Mystify, thanks this is just what I wanted.

Tyckspoon, doh...I should have guesses.

Telonius
2012-02-02, 12:59 PM
Note that 'artifact' doesn't necessarily mean 'very powerful item' in design terms. It mostly means 'the developers didn't feel like trying to assign a price to this', and sometimes 'these were notable artifacts in previous editions, so they're artifacts now despite not being all that impressive.'

Also, "The DM is going to use this as a MacGuffin, so please don't try to sell it."

Slipperychicken
2012-02-02, 02:05 PM
Also, "The DM is going to use this as a MacGuffin, so please don't try to sell it."

If the PCs think the MacGuffin is vendor trash long enough to actually sell it, that's either sad, or a quest hook to track it down after the PCs learn of its power.

@OP: Ask that custom items, or very powerful ones, get your approval/artifact status before entering the game. This solves a number of problems, including overpowered items.

CTrees
2012-02-02, 03:53 PM
If the PCs think the MacGuffin is vendor trash long enough to actually sell it, that's either sad, or a quest hook to track it down after the PCs learn of its power.

Well, is it vendor trash, or is it "hey, maybe we can sell this for like a million gold, then buy things which are WAY more beneficial to us than this artifact?" Though with artifacts lacking official pricing, negotiations could still be conducted with the right parties (all about DMs setting limits to the diplomancy, here).

Also, my experience has less PCs trying to sell the MacGuffin, than PCs trying to simply destroy it. "So, both sides in this war want this, no one knows we have it, and we don't know what it does (beyond that it'll be bad for someone). Lets weigh it down and drop it into a volcano, and avoid the next six months of campaign!"

Mystify
2012-02-02, 03:57 PM
Well, is it vendor trash, or is it "hey, maybe we can sell this for like a million gold, then buy things which are WAY more beneficial to us than this artifact?" Though with artifacts lacking official pricing, negotiations could still be conducted with the right parties (all about DMs setting limits to the diplomancy, here).

Also, my experience has less PCs trying to sell the MacGuffin, than PCs trying to simply destroy it. "So, both sides in this war want this, no one knows we have it, and we don't know what it does (beyond that it'll be bad for someone). Lets weigh it down and drop it into a volcano, and avoid the next six months of campaign!"
It should only take 1 campaign where the macguffin is needed to save the world to rid them of that habit.