PDA

View Full Version : Acquiring Magic Through Feats [D&D 3.5]

Ziegander
2012-02-01, 05:07 PM
Magical Aptitude
Prerequisites: Int 13, Cha 13, Knowledge (Arcane) 1 rank
Benefit: You have studied the magical arts more extensively than your fellows, and are rewarded with a +2 bonus to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device checks, as well as knowledge of a single 0-level arcane spell. More than that, you gain spell slots in which to prepare your spell, and any others you might learn (see below). Like a Wizard, you keep your known spells in a spellbook, you must prepare these spells before you can cast them, and you must rest for 8 hours to regain your spell slots. You have an arcane caster level equal to the combined total of your Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Duskblade, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard, and Wu Jen levels + 1/2 your levels in any other classes.

You do not automatically add spells to your spellbook and cannot independently research spells the way a Wizard can, but you can copy spells from other spellbooks or from scrolls into your spellbook. You may not add more than one spell per character level in this way.

To cast a spell you know you must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell's level. The saving throw DC of any spell you cast is 10 + spell level + your Charisma modifier. If you do not already get extra spell slots per day from having a high ability score, you may be entitled to extra spell slots for a high Charisma.

Magical Aptitude Spell Slots

{table=head]Level|0-level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th
1st|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x|
x

2nd|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x|
x

3rd|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x|
x

4th|
1|
0|
0|
x|
x|
x

5th|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x

6th|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x

7th|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x

8th|
2|
1|
0|
0|
x|
x

9th|
2|
2|
0|
0|
x|
x

10th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x

11th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x

12th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
0|
x

13th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
0|
x

14th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|
x

15th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|
x

16th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

17th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

18th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

19th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

20th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|
[/table]

Special: A Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Duskblade, Hexblade, Sorcerer, Wizard, or Wu Jen that takes this feat adds the spell slots gained to the spell slots they acquire through class levels. They do not necessarily need an Intelligence score to cast their spells, nor do they necessarily base the save DCs of their spells on Charisma, but rather cast spells learned from this feat in the same way as described in their class entries. Spells learned from this feat are, however, always recorded in a spellbook and must always be prepared like a Wizard's spells.

True Believer
Prerequisites: Wis 13, Cha 13, Knowledge (Religion) 1 rank, Must worship a deity
Benefit: You are a devout believer in the cause of the gods, and are blessed with a +2 bonus to Diplomacy checks, as well as knowledge of a single 0-level divine spell. You may also use a relic (Complete Divine, pg 88) of the deity you worship. More than that, you gain spell slots in which to prepare your spell, and any others you might learn (see below). Like a Cleric, you designate a time for prayer, you must prepare these spells before you can cast them, and you must pray to regain your spell slots. You have a divine caster level equal to the combined total of your Archivist, Cleric, Druid, Favored Soul, Shugenja, and Spirit Shaman levels + 1/2 your levels in any other classes.

You do not know every spell on your list like a Cleric or Druid does, nor do you gain the knowledge of new spells as you increase in level like a Favored Soul does, but you may learn new spells from an Archivist's prayerbook, or from divine scrolls in the same way that an Archivist does. You may not learn more than one spell per character level in this way.

To cast a spell you know you must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level. The saving throw DC of any spell you cast is 10 + spell level + your Charisma modifier. If you do not already get extra spell slots per day from having a high ability score, you may be entitled to extra spell slots for a high Charisma.

True Believer Spell Slots

{table=head]Level|0-level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th
1st|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x|
x

2nd|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x|
x

3rd|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x|
x

4th|
1|
0|
0|
x|
x|
x

5th|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x

6th|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x

7th|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x|
x

8th|
2|
1|
0|
0|
x|
x

9th|
2|
2|
0|
0|
x|
x

10th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x

11th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
x|
x

12th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
0|
x

13th|
2|
2|
1|
0|
0|
x

14th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|
x

15th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|
x

16th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

17th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

18th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

19th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|

20th|
2|
2|
1|
1|
0|
[/table]

Special: An Archivist, Cleric, Druid, Favored Soul, Paladin, Ranger, Shugenja, or Spirit Shaman that takes this feat adds the spell slots gained to the spell slots they acquire through class levels. They do not necessarily need an Wisdom score to cast their spells, nor do they necessarily base the save DCs of their spells on Charisma, but rather cast spells learned from this feat in the same way as described in their class entries. Spells slots gained from this feat are, however only regained the way a Cleric regains her spell slots, and spells learned from this feat must always be prepared like a Cleric's spells.

Arcane Study
Prerequisites: Int 13, Cha 13, Magical Aptitude
Benefit: Add any arcane spell that you have a high enough caster level to cast to your spellbook.
Special: You may take this feat up to three times.

Divine Right
Prerequisites: Wis 13, Cha 13, True Believer
Benefit: You learn any one divine spell that you have a high enough caster level to cast.
Special: You may take this feat up to three times.

Eldest
2012-02-01, 07:00 PM
I gotta ask, who is this intended for? The thief who wants to tinker with magic (but not multiclass out, for some reason) or a caster?

Ziegander
2012-02-01, 07:07 PM
I gotta ask, who is this intended for? The thief who wants to tinker with magic (but not multiclass out, for some reason) or a caster?

They are made, primarily for the thief, or warrior, who wants to dabble with magic, but as I wrote them I realized that, aside from the distasteful "this feat cannot be taken by Wizards" clause, the feats needed to account for standard full-casters that might want to take them.

Eldest
2012-02-01, 08:24 PM
I think that that language in the feat description really confuses people... at least, it confused me. Maybe if you just said that you can't take the feat if you already can cast spells, and if you gain the ability to cast spells from other sources you lose the feat and can change it to a different feat at once. I think giving a straight-classed Bard a little less than twice as much spellcasting for one feat is a bit strong.
Also, I like the idea of two stats for casting, but you might want to instead say you need 13 Int or 13 Cha. Both might be hard for a warrior to furfill, and might be difficult for a rogue.

AugustNights
2012-02-01, 09:20 PM
Half spell Casting From a single feat?
It seems little over-powered really.
Yes there are severe limitations, but a single feat for half spell casting.
It seems to be the sort of thing even feat-starved builds will want.

Ziegander
2012-02-01, 09:31 PM
I think that that language in the feat description really confuses people... at least, it confused me.

What are you confused about? Maybe I can clean it up.

Maybe if you just said that you can't take the feat if you already can cast spells, and if you gain the ability to cast spells from other sources you lose the feat and can change it to a different feat at once.

That's exactly what I don't want to do. If I have to reduce the number of spell slots gained by the feat, that's fine, but I don't want to prohibit casters from taking these feats just for extra slots.

I think giving a straight-classed Bard a little less than twice as much spellcasting for one feat is a bit strong.

I figured since Bards don't really come into their own without lots of splatbook help, that throwing the Bard a bone wasn't a bad thing. But I'll probably lower the number of slots that the feats grant.

Also, I like the idea of two stats for casting, but you might want to instead say you need 13 Int or 13 Cha. Both might be hard for a warrior to furfill, and might be difficult for a rogue.

Well, it isn't supposed to be that easy.

Half spell Casting From a single feat?
It seems little over-powered really.
Yes there are severe limitations, but a single feat for half spell casting.
It seems to be the sort of thing even feat-starved builds will want.

I guess I'll have to put on another limitation (which I had originally intended to do in the first place).

EDIT: There, reduced the number of slots the feat gives you, but adds an allowance for extra slots if you have a high ability score, and also added a hard cap to the number of spells you are able to learn per level (aside from the Arcane Study and Divine Right feats).

RollynT.Glal
2012-02-02, 02:37 PM
I think this is a great idea! I've always wanted to make a character who sees spell casting as a side-project so multiclassing never felt quite appropriate. That said I have a few Questions:
1. Can a Wizard gain the benefit of Spell Mastery from spells learned through the use of this feat?
2. I'm not familiar with the Archivist, from which book does it originate?
3. To save time is the Archivist function like a Wizard who casts divine spells?
4. Why only 1 rank in the chosen field of study?
5. Do you believe that there would be merit for a string of feats giving access to higher leveled spell slots? Say an extra feat "Clergyman's Belief" for 6th and 7th level slots, "Priest's Belief" for 8th and "Archon's Belief" for 9th?

Overall fantastic idea! I hope some of my players use it (if not I will).

Pyromancer999
2012-02-02, 04:02 PM
2. I'm not familiar with the Archivist, from which book does it originate?

Heroes of Horror.

3. To save time is the Archivist function like a Wizard who casts divine spells?

In essence.

5. Do you believe that there would be merit for a string of feats giving access to higher leveled spell slots? Say an extra feat "Clergyman's Belief" for 6th and 7th level slots, "Priest's Belief" for 8th and "Archon's Belief" for 9th?

I support this. Still, I think it should progress to 4th level by 20th. Just doing 3rd seems a bit weak, even if bonus spells for higher level are allowed.

Also, it might be a bit better that upon becoming able to cast a new level of spells, the taker of this feat learns 1 spell of that level(ex. upon being able to cast 2nd level spells, the taker of the feat learns 1 2nd level spell, and so on).

Additionally, would you consider making a spontaneous arcane caster feat?