PDA

View Full Version : What should be an MMORPG?

The Durvin
2012-02-01, 07:30 PM
What would you like to see adapted into a full-immersion open-ended game? Besides OotS, I mean.

Personally, I would freakin' love one based on the works of Edward Gorey. When I am rich, famous, and powerful, I plan to develop and market a retrogamers' side-scrolling MMORPG. Also, it seems like there ought to be some way to have Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, and Fraggle Rock in the same expanded continuum...

Starwulf
2012-02-01, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't mind one set in Forgotten realms. It would have to be absolutely huge though, as I would want it to encompass almost all known areas(with the exception of perhaps the Maztican Empire, as it is considerably to far away from the rest). Wouldn't even have to really follow D&D Style rules, though I would appreciate being able to play as almost any race, and perhaps have many of the same class types. It would definitely have to have a fully evolved skill tree so that upon level up you could pick what skill and what not you wanted. What I wouldn't care about is whether or not it had skills in the D&D vein, like Diplomacy and stuff. Everyone should have to claw their way up through whatever guild or what not they choose to join, and not be able to skip stuff because they have a ton of skill points in Diplomacy ^^.

Would be awesomely fun :)

GungHo
2012-02-02, 01:09 PM
Star Wars the Old Republic.

:smallbiggrin:

Trekkin
2012-02-02, 04:40 PM
Shadowrun. "Runs" would fit well into the default MMORPG series of tasks, and there are enough locales detailed to start with Seattle and expand from there.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but it seems to me like the IP would fit well enough into the internally marketable MMORPG "formula" to have a fair shot at developing into something enjoyable if not deeply so.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-02-02, 05:20 PM
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but it seems to me like the IP would fit well enough into the internally marketable MMORPG "formula" to have a fair shot at developing into something enjoyable if not deeply so.

A Shadowrun MMO would be really cool. But probably have a pretty small playerbase. But I'd play the hell out of it. And game companies do seem to be warming up to the idea that non-fantasy MMOs do in fact have non-zero chances of becoming economically viable.

I imagine the character creator being comically limited, though. Your pick of over 40 different black trenchcoats and 20 varieties of darkened shades. :smallamused:

Trekkin
2012-02-03, 10:47 PM
I imagine the character creator being comically limited, though. Your pick of over 40 different black trenchcoats and 20 varieties of darkened shades. :smallamused:

That is, I assume, in addition to the hundreds of varieties of pink mohawk?

Tebryn
2012-02-03, 10:57 PM
There was a Shadow Run MMO, sorta kinda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_(2007_video_game))

Seerow
2012-02-03, 11:05 PM
Last I heard there was a company working on a browser based shadowrun MMO, using the Unity engine.

But yeah, I could easily see Shadowrun translating into a successful MMO as long as they stuck closer to the source material, as opposed to the FPS they tried to pass off with the shadowrun name a few years back. Even raids could fit in, as bigger runs that require multiple groups working together.

hivedragon
2012-02-03, 11:20 PM
Planescape

Starscream
2012-02-04, 02:55 AM
Discworld. Because it already sort of is one.

Discworld MUD has been running for 20 years now, and still gets updates. And while you could hardly call any MUD "popular" nowadays, the fact that it has outlasted so many others is pretty impressive.

Plus, Discworld is just awesome.

I would also love to see Star Control brought back in some form, and an MMO would be prefect. The 3rd one, which didn't involve the creators at all, sucked and is usually considered non-canon. But Star Control 2 is a mega-classic.

And it already has so many aspects of what makes a good MMORPG.
* Two major factions, both with multiple races who are equivalent, but extremely varied in their abilities.
* A complex storyline with a lot of history behind it
* A focus on exploration, with many side-quests, and grinding aspects as you customize and upgrade your ship
* The ability to play in many different styles, from resource gathering to meeting new allies and enemies, to PVP combat.
* Complex dialog trees with a ton of memorable and humorous characters.

Anyone who has played SCII (which is now free, btw, so what's your excuse if you havent?) knows what I'm talking about. An MMO version would be freaking epic.

Hazzardevil
2012-02-04, 11:56 AM
I would like to see a warhammer MMO.

And one that isn't WOW with warhammer skins,
Something new and interesting and does not take hours and hours to get anywhere remotely interesting.

Yes I'm looking forward to Dark Millennium and the arguments between people wanting to play female space marines and those wanting it to stick exactly to the fluff.

Elite_Lurker
2012-02-04, 12:09 PM
Starcraft. I heard Blizzard was planning one before making WoW, but went with a Warcraft theme instead.

Psyren
2012-02-04, 12:36 PM
The Mass Effect universe needs one. I could just see myself chilling out on the Citadel, as a retired-Salarian-STG-agent-turned-junior-accountant.

Weezer
2012-02-04, 01:01 PM
I think we need another WWII MMORPGFPS. I played WWII Online for a few years and it was amazing, I hope that another company grabs the idea and runs with it, getting another game like that, but updated to modern technology, would be incredible.

GungHo
2012-02-06, 10:39 AM
There was a Shadow Run MMO, sorta kinda. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_(2007_video_game))
It was an expensive version of Counterstrike. It had Trolls and Elves, but that's about as much Shadowrun as there was to it.

Knaight
2012-02-07, 10:06 PM
I'd like to see some sort of mechanics implemented more than anything. As of now the 2d Super Smash Bros style fighting game hasn't really been merged with an MMO, and the closest to that is Maple Story. I'd love to see those mechanics put together, particularly as concerns something like akin to Bastian in storytelling and atmosphere.

MCerberus
2012-02-07, 10:14 PM
Paranoia Online.
Imagine it guild-wars style maybe with some dynamic level generating.
Secret missions to betray people.

YOU'RE A MUTANT! ZAP!

nhbdy
2012-02-07, 10:18 PM
The Mass Effect universe needs one. I could just see myself chilling out on the Citadel, as a retired-Salarian-STG-agent-turned-junior-accountant.

agreed, though I think anything that references the mass effect universe that is multiplayer/doesn't feature shepard as the main character needs to be removed from him (due to the massive degree of choice and impact associated with him/her), like for example setting the MMO in the time just after the first contact war would be really cool in my opinion.

TheEmerged
2012-02-08, 11:41 AM
Paranoia Online.
Imagine it guild-wars style maybe with some dynamic level generating.
Secret missions to betray people.

YOU'RE A MUTANT! ZAP!

THIS!

I am on record, since before Ultima Online split off into PvE & PvP, as saying that whoever snaps up this product and can keep from screwing it up will have a license to print money.

GM's could simply show up as Friend Computer(tm).
There's an in-world explanation for why people are coming back from the dead (a background mechanic most MMOG worlds just gloss over).
There's an in-world explanation for enforcing PvE vs PvP.
There's an in-world explanation for nerfs\world changes.
There's an in-world explanation for why people are competing in PvP 'games' like flag capture etc.
There's an in-world explanation for zones/instances, in particular why going through the same door might lead to a different place.
There are in-world mechanics for temporarily giving people overpowered things and then taking them away. This is of particular note since MMOG's are perpetually in beta -- theoreticaly, you'd never need a test server!
Guilds? In-world explanation! Secret communications? In-world explanation! Moderators in chat? In-world explanation! Repetitive, inane missions? In-world explanation! Different servers? In-world explanation! Out of place pop-culture references? In-world explanation! Bizarre, pun-based names? In-world explanation! Crazy black markets run primarily by crooks because Friend Computer(tm) winks at it? In-world explanation!

It's one of those things where you wonder if the creators of Paranoia somehow knew about MMOG's before they existed :smalleek:

Psyren
2012-02-08, 12:00 PM
agreed, though I think anything that references the mass effect universe that is multiplayer/doesn't feature shepard as the main character needs to be removed from him (due to the massive degree of choice and impact associated with him/her), like for example setting the MMO in the time just after the first contact war would be really cool in my opinion.

Well, it's possible - there's a roughly 20-year window between First Contact and Shepard's galaxy-shaping achievement(s), i.e. the Blitz, Akuze, or Torfan. My issue though is that for those 20 years, humanity was pretty light on the biotic front, aside from the kids (like Kaidan) being trained in BAaT. So it would make playing an Adept tricky lorewise.

And after that window, Shepard would loom so large over everything human that having every NPC in the game refer to him/her without specifying a gender or achievement would be a bit clunky.

Meanwhile, if you set it AFTER ME3, all our Shepards have done the same thing - stop the Reapers, and the galaxy can cite that instead. And humanity is on even footing with the other races. A perfect time for other threats to arise, like a resurgence by the Batarians, or more dark Rachni, or Cerberus not being gone, or the Collectors coming back etc.

Jonzac
2012-02-08, 03:09 PM
Honor Harrington World,

a new one getting a facelift in the movies.

Edgar Rice Burroughs "Martian Cronicles"

The_Jackal
2012-02-08, 03:45 PM
Could we possibly be ready to move on from the online chore simulator? The problem with MMO's is that you pay a huge price in terms of performance to get massive-scale networking involved, and I, for one, am convinced the rewards aren't worth it.

nhbdy
2012-02-08, 06:11 PM
Edgar Rice Burroughs "Martian Cronicles"

you mean Ray Bradbury, right?

GolemsVoice
2012-02-08, 06:36 PM
A Shadowrun MMO would be really cool. But probably have a pretty small playerbase. But I'd play the hell out of it. And game companies do seem to be warming up to the idea that non-fantasy MMOs do in fact have non-zero chances of becoming economically viable.

Wasn't there a MMORPG called Neocron that was very cyberpunky. I fear it never had too much success. But yes, I think Shadowrun would make an excellent MMO.

Suichimo
2012-02-08, 07:38 PM
Ctrl+F "pokemon"
No Results

You people disappoint me.

I also think that, out of Nintendo's IPs, Golden Sun and Fire Emblem would make great MMOs.

Last I heard there was a company working on a browser based shadowrun MMO, using the Unity engine.

But yeah, I could easily see Shadowrun translating into a successful MMO as long as they stuck closer to the source material, as opposed to the FPS they tried to pass off with the shadowrun name a few years back. Even raids could fit in, as bigger runs that require multiple groups working together.

This is true: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/13/free-to-play-shadowrun-online-announced/

Balain
2012-02-09, 12:38 AM
I would love to see an od west style memo.

Would also like to see one based on call of cthulhu, that might be harder to pull of and be any good.

Maybe something like Time Bandts

JabberwockySupafly
2012-02-09, 12:46 AM
you mean Ray Bradbury, right?

He may mean The Barsoom Novels, the same thing John Carter of Mars is based on, by ERB...

I'm not very big on MMOs, to be honest, so I don't really have anything to input here, though an FFX MMO would be interesting. Unique story, interesting world, refreshing levelling system. I think it'd be a bit of alright.

Vilyathas
2012-02-09, 12:49 AM
Was gonna say World of Darkness, but then I did a search and found: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/09/24/world-of-darkness-confirmed-based-on-vampire-the-masquerade/

So: I'm gonna go with Planescape. Planar-hopping through Sigil, dodging the Lady whenever she shows up, drinking contests with a deva and a devil simultaneously, etc. <3

I wouldn't mind one set in Forgotten realms.

Have you tried Dungeons and Dragons Online? It's currently set in Eberron, but they're planning an expansion into Faerun soon, starting with the Underdark.

agentnone
2012-02-09, 01:43 AM

That is, I assume, in addition to the hundreds of varieties of pink mohawk?

You mean like the Matrix MMO they had going about 4 or 5 years ago? Man that was horrible.

I would like to see either an Elder Scrolls MMO or a Mass Effect MMO.

Akodo Makama
2012-02-09, 02:52 AM
It's one of those things where you wonder if the creators of Paranoia somehow knew about MMOG's before they existed :smalleek:

Asking that question is above your clearance level.
>ZAP<

Jonzac
2012-02-09, 10:36 AM
He may mean The Barsoom Novels, the same thing John Carter of Mars is based on, by ERB...

I'm not very big on MMOs, to be honest, so I don't really have anything to input here, though an FFX MMO would be interesting. Unique story, interesting world, refreshing levelling system. I think it'd be a bit of alright.

Above. I always call the Barsoom novels the martian chronicles for some reason. Barsoom would be a perfect setting, airships, mutiple races, factions fighting, etc.

Weezer
2012-02-09, 11:00 AM
Above. I always call the Barsoom novels the martian chronicles for some reason. Barsoom would be a perfect setting, airships, mutiple races, factions fighting, etc.

The one problem with that is you would have to make humans a non-playable race. Which would actually be a very different take on things, could be interesting.

MCerberus
2012-02-09, 11:08 AM
Asking that question is above your clearance level.
>ZAP<

Knowledge that question is above clearance level of asker is above clearance level.

*laser gatling gun pops up from plant pot, still having a Fun Brand Fun Daisy (from the makers of Hot Fun) on top*
>ZAP<

Talyn
2012-02-10, 10:10 AM
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Especially for a more sandbox-y game where being able to terraform the world and build player-generated and player-run "colonies" is part of the draw. The backstory (factions of ideologically-split colonists on an alien planet) and setting (said semi-sentient alien planet swarming with hostile, brain-eating aliens life) are perfect for an MMO.

Seven factions is too many for an MMORPG, though - the player base would be too divided. Instead, I'd consolidate the seven into three:
- the Peacekeepers and the Gaians (we must build a free utopia on the new world)
- the Hive and the University (ethics are for the weak, we will achieve the next level of human evolution, by force if need be)
- the Believers and the Spartans (we're well armed and angry, and we won't let you impose your values on us)

The Morganites would be a "neutral" faction, similar to the goblins in WoW (these guys are nuts, but we can make a profit by staying neutral and selling technology to all sides).

The factions from the expansion (the Nautilus Pirates, the Free Drones, the Cult of Planet, and the Data Angels) will be neutral, non-playable factions. The aliens (Manifold Usurpers and Manifold Caretakers) might show up during an expansion.

Heck, they could have four different experience progressions, based on the different development priorities from the game: explore (movement, stealth, exploration and vehicles), build (crafting and player-controlled outposts), discover (hacking, psychic powers, and research) and conquer (combat).

ProtectorRoss
2012-02-16, 09:29 AM
Star Wars the Old Republic.

:smallbiggrin:

+1

That or I wonder if you could do one based on the American Civil War?

PallElendro
2012-02-17, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't mind one set in Forgotten realms. It would have to be absolutely huge though, as I would want it to encompass almost all known areas(with the exception of perhaps the Maztican Empire, as it is considerably to far away from the rest). Wouldn't even have to really follow D&D Style rules, though I would appreciate being able to play as almost any race, and perhaps have many of the same class types. It would definitely have to have a fully evolved skill tree so that upon level up you could pick what skill and what not you wanted. What I wouldn't care about is whether or not it had skills in the D&D vein, like Diplomacy and stuff. Everyone should have to claw their way up through whatever guild or what not they choose to join, and not be able to skip stuff because they have a ton of skill points in Diplomacy ^^.

Would be awesomely fun :)

They have that on Turbine. Look up DDO Unlimited.

I'd love to see Claymore become MMO. You'd get to be a member of The Organization, and of course, multi-player terms, they've expanded when Yoma spread to the other continents. Your job as Claymore is to kill them all. Campaign regarding returning Clare from The Destroyer, the war against Yoma, and perhaps earning points toward Yoki powers, such as Yoki Sensing, Quicksword, Rapid Regeneration, Yoki Control, all the cool stuff.