PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding On Some Reward Items? (My Players Stay Out Please)

Koury
2012-02-01, 08:03 PM
So, in the campaign I'm running I gave everyone in the party a dream revolving around a specific place in a dungeon they were about to enter and spend the next long while in (running Expedition to Undermountain).

Thing is, I'm becoming less happy about the items they were to be awarded with, and I'm not able to come up with suitable replacements.

Of the five people, one has found the item from his dreams (the dreams did not specify what the items were, simply where there are). Here's what I had planned.

Psion: Horned Ring [Minor Artifact]
Crusader: +1 Keen Falchion [8,300 gp]
Factotum: Wand of Magic Missile (CL 9) [6,750 gp]
Dragonfire Adept: Dragon Spirit Cincture [2,000 gp]
Cleric: 2 Raptor Arrows [6,006 gp ea.]

The psion and clerics items I am happy with. The Cleric (the only one to have found his item so far, despite them having been near two others) is an archer cleric, and the items will stay useful forever. Upon earning 4th level slots, he can use them on his arrows if he so chooses. The Psions ring is plenty powerful (Upon command, the wearer of a horned ring can cloak himself in an antimagic aura. A horned ring provides magical protection equivalent to a brooch of shielding and a major ring of energy resistance (electricity). Also increases the save DCs of all discipline powers by +2). The others, I need help with.

The Dragonfire Adept was the one who was supposed to be able to find his item first (which is why it's so much cheaper then the others), but they have since passed it. I know that he's certain to buy one at first opportunity but either way I was thinking of changing it somehow to be more on par with the other items (in case they do find it while backtracking). Maybe allow it to, once a day, let you change out an invocation known of at least one step lower then the best invocation you know? AKA, if you know a greater invocation you could use the ring to drop a lesser invocation known and trade it for a different one? I know the player was worried about his lack of invocations known,and this would allow him to, slowly, customize them.

The Crusader will be very happy with his weapon, but I'm considering bumping it to +3 equivalent. Probably won't though, as I feel it's about right as is, especially considering I expect him to be around the upper end of level 3 when they can get it.

The Psion's item is beyond good (it's a story item, but I tacked on the save DC increase because the psion player is unhappy with his current DCs,and this will be enough to keep him satisfied). I'm happy here.

The Factotum is the one I'm the most lost on. My original line of thinking was to give the player a nice item that would both a) allow them to use their skills and b) give them a decent ranged option (currently have no ranged abilities). However, I dislike the fact that its charged. I don't know of any good items to go with here though. I could potentially remove the charge limit. Its not as if 5d4+5 is some huge deal, especially since they can't reliably use it for a while, but yeah. Very open to ideas here.

So any suggestions or questions here?

Koury
2012-02-02, 01:41 AM
No ideas for a nice Factotum item (and or Dragonfire Adept item) in the 10k price range? Is what I have good? Terrible?

Callyn
2012-02-02, 02:32 AM
Magic Missile is bad for a wand. I also wouldn't give the Factotum a consumable when everyone else is getting other stuff. How about a Headband of Intellect? If they're only level 3 I doubt that he has one yet.

Koury
2012-02-02, 02:49 AM
My main issue with a HoI is that it seemsso plain an untailored compared to the rest. Like giving cash on a birthday, it just seems like a no thought option, you know?

Duskranger
2012-02-02, 06:38 AM
Actually it's quite simple in that case:

Lying in front of you is a simple headband, it looks like a very old sweatbandana, used by an orc, or something like that.

As soon as the Factotum picks it up, it becomes a fully adorned hat, with 4 feathers on it. Every feather has a different color. Give every feather a certain ability and see if you can find usefull gifts in them, for example:

Feather of Scorching Ray, red feather, streamlined and scorched on the sides.
Feather of Invisibility, a white feather, only under the right edge you can look through it.
Feather of Identify, green feather, it looks like it has been used as a writing tool.
Feather of Inspiration, gives the Factotum 1 use of inspiration more/encounter.

All the Spell likes are with the Factotum level as a Casterlevel, the hat itself is (if you want that) a Headband of Intelligence +2. All Spelllikes are usable 1/day (of maybe 3 times if that seems better).

What do you think?

Koury
2012-02-02, 12:30 PM
I like it. I'll need to tweak it (they bought an Artificer's Monocle, so the identify is redundant) but yeah. Maybe something like the following:

This fine feathered fedora fits a Factotum fabulously.

This item functions as a Headband of Intellect +2. In addition, as a standard action, a Factotum may spend two inspiration points to cast one of the following spells, chosen by the Factotum:

Scorching Ray
Invisibility (Self only)
Glitterdust

All spells are cast as a Wizard of the Factotums level.

Opinions on this? I'm actually pretty happy with it. The Invis will allow more opportunity for Iaijutsu Focus to come into play, Scorching Ray gives a ranged option, and Glitterdust gives a useful debuff (and should stay useful the longest of the three spells).

The Dragonfire Adept should get the "swap-an-invocation" item I mentioned earlier and they should all be sufficiently happy. Cool toys that stay useful and are nice personalized rewards.

Duskranger
2012-02-02, 12:58 PM
I did not know the Identify item. And if it was not in play, it was usefull, I just gave you a simple idea.

I am glad you like it though.