PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a Lyric Thatamerge

Malroth
2012-02-01, 08:32 PM
New campaign is going to start soon and I was hoping to go in with a build plan.
My goal is to combine Persistant Spell /Metamagic song with a Lyric Thatamerge's ability to boost sonic spells for all day long super powered sonic weapon as well as other persistant spells. The campaign will likely start at lv 2 or 3 and i'd be able to take at most 1 flaw.

Manateee
2012-02-01, 09:35 PM
New campaign is going to start soon and I was hoping to go in with a build plan.
My goal is to combine Persistant Spell /Metamagic song with a Lyric Thatamerge's ability to boost sonic spells for all day long super powered sonic weapon as well as other persistant spells. The campaign will likely start at lv 2 or 3 and i'd be able to take at most 1 flaw.
I've seen some pretty cool builds that work off the Lyric Thaumaturge framework, which got some pretty solid use from Born of Three Thunders.

Make sure you know how Metamagic Song works. It's usually a pretty bad deal.

Darrin
2012-02-02, 09:33 AM

If your DM allows feat retraining/psychic reformation/dark chaos shuffle, then you may want to consider:

Bard 5/Lyric Thaumaturge 5/Sublime Chord 2/Something 8 (Incantatrix, Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils, etc.)

Feats: Take Favored and Primary Contact from Cityscape to get into LT a level early, which lets you get Sonic Might before going into Sublime Chord (it won't work taking LT later, because LT can't advance Sublime Chord casting). Once you get to level 6, retrain Favored/Primary Contact to whatever metamagic feats you need:

Human) Melodic Casting
Flaw) Extend Spell
1) Favored, retrain to Persistent Spell
3) Primary Contact, Retrain to Energy Substitution
6) Born of Three Thunders (BTT)
9) Metamagic Song
12) Heighten Spell
15) Extra Music
18) Extra Music

If you have any feat slots to spare (which looks like a "No"), Reach Spell or Ocular Spell can give a spell with a fixed range, but Metamagic Song doesn't allow you to reduce multiple metamagic effects (I'm not entirely sure how it behaves with Arcane Thesis). And Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) can give you a Will save vs. the daze effect of BTT.

Use your Spell Secret to grab flame dagger (Spell Compendium) from the wizard's list. Switch to electricity damage via Energy Substitution. Born of Three Thunders dazes you for a round, but you can Persist it for 24 hours. Sonic Might kicks in, and for 24 hours you've got a melee touch attack that does +1d6 Sonic damage per spell level (Heighten it for more) with a Ref save vs. prone and Fort save vs. stun.

Hmm... having some trouble finding other spells with a fixed/personal range and the right duration. However, some other possible spells for Substitution/BTT/Heighten shenanigans:

fire shuriken (Spell Compendium): difficult to get on your spell list (Assassin only) but you can cast this during down-time to create disposable magic weapons that stay around until you throw them.

Kaupaer's quickblast (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a) (online article): autohits, free/immediate/swift action to cast

sonic snap (Spell Compendium): autohits, no save

lava missile (Serpent Kingdoms): autohits similar to magic missile, but does [fire] damage and thus can be substituted.

Helldog
2012-02-02, 09:41 AM
What is Lyric Thatamerge? :smallconfused:

Malroth
2012-02-02, 07:25 PM
What is Lyric Thatamerge?

Full casting bard prestigue class that grants extra spell slots, new spells known from the wizard spell list and bonus damage to spells with the sonic descriptior.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-02, 07:29 PM
Thatamerge: the new rouge!

Honestly though, at least rouge still has all the letters. It's Lyric Thaumaterge.

Manateee
2012-02-02, 09:58 PM
Thatamerge: the new rouge!

Honestly though, at least rouge still has all the letters. It's Lyric Thaumaterge.
If you're going to be pedantic, be right.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-02, 10:03 PM
If you're going to be pedantic, be right.

Dammit, this misspelling is farther from the real version than I thought. I should've looked at the Thaumaturge thread first...

CaeruliusVentus
2012-02-02, 11:39 PM
Not sure if you have looked into the other spells you will need, but here are a few that seem pretty standard for a lyric thaumaterge:

Sonorous Hum: bard 2, next spell cast does not need to be concentrated on as long as SH lasts

Creaking Cacophany: bard 3, 40ft spread hinders other casters, listen checks, and makes everyone vulnerable to sonic unless they are immune

Sonic Rumble: wiz 5, 30ft cone of sonic damage 1d6/2 levels but lasts based on concentration up to 1 rnd/level (combine with sonorous hum and see how much the DM will let you get away with)

Cacophonic Burst: bard/wiz 5, 20ft radius burst, 1d6/level sonic damage. fire ball without the early detonation

Cacophonic Shield: Bard 4, 10ft emanation on you blocks incoming sonic effects, 20% miss on missile attacks, anyone crossing the barrier is 1d6 +1/level sonic damage (not so good if you plan to be a melee fighter)

Energy substitution and BTT open up a lot more options, but these spells get a lot better with sonic might.

Edit: all spells are taken from the spell compendium

Malroth
2012-02-05, 03:37 AM
Some good spells there. Now i'm imagining a metamagic song persisted Sonorous Hum followed up with a sonic might boosted sonic burst aimed at the base of whatever cave castle or ruin we're supposed to be infiltrating. I'm pretty sure that there's no way the structual supports can take 5d6+1d6/2lvs sonic damage per round for 14 thousand rounds

kulosle
2012-02-05, 03:57 AM
There is a class that is like incantrix but for bards. I believe its called something like spelldancer. You dance to reduce the cost of metamagic spells. And Metamagic spell song is worth it if you get full bardic music progression. It's just never as good as DMM.

Edit: The class is indeed called Spelldancer and it is in Magic of Faerūn

Manateee
2012-02-05, 04:57 AM
Some good spells there. Now i'm imagining a metamagic song persisted Sonorous Hum followed up with a sonic might boosted sonic burst aimed at the base of whatever cave castle or ruin we're supposed to be infiltrating. I'm pretty sure that there's no way the structual supports can take 5d6+1d6/2lvs sonic damage per round for 14 thousand rounds
Like I said earlier, doublecheck how Metamagic Song works. Only Sublime Chords can use it to persist 2nd level spells. And they have more valuable things to do with half their daily Music uses.