PDA

View Full Version : Steampulp

Trekkin
2012-02-01, 10:43 PM
I'm trying to come up with a way of playing around in an approximation of the Girl Genius 'verse, and the idea of using GURPS for it, as in the pending supplement, seems somehow wrong to me, like the world would make too much sense.

Thus, it occurred to me to use FATE, more specifically Spirit of the Century with changed technology levels and a Science stunt set that reflects Sparky sensibilities. Would this work? What needs to be changed? Obviously the Baron's War replaces the Great War, but beyond that it seems mostly mechanical to me-- which I know is likely not the case.

In a more general sense, are there any pitfalls in Spirit of the Century I need to be aware of to make this work? Is there a better setting for just letting a bunch of real-life scientists and engineers go a little mad and run rampant over steampunk Europa?

ToySoldierCPlus
2012-02-02, 11:19 AM
Genius: the Transgression, perhaps? You'd have to do something about the effect mortals have on Wonders, but the basic premise is perfect.

Bagelson
2012-02-02, 12:32 PM
Kerberos Club may work. The setting is basically the 19th century with Mad Science and Magic, where queen Victoria is turning into a divinity and the Strange grows ever more prevalent.

For a Girl Genius game you may want to edit out the Magic part - and the aliens - but I could see it working. I could definitely fit all the characters into the Strange Archetypes as written.

The FATE edition also has enough innovations that the engine has been dubbed Strange FATE. There's a system in place to build unique (and Strange) skills, as well as skill power tiers to really mark the difference between the mundanes and their betters.

One Tin Soldier
2012-02-03, 10:52 AM
Genius: the Transgression, perhaps? You'd have to do something about the effect mortals have on Wonders, but the basic premise is perfect.

I second this. Maybe just make it more difficult for mortals to use wonders, instead of breaking them. Mechanicsburg is an entire city of Beholden.