PDA

View Full Version : [Legend] New Race: Xara [PEACH]

Geigan
2012-02-02, 12:23 AM
My friend has been wanting an underwater race for Legend (http://www.ruleofcool.com/get-the-game/) so he whipped one up for future use. Here's what we have at the moment, following the the races in the book on presentation.

Xara
+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Str
Racial Feats: Breakneck Pace, Recon, Wake
Medium Creatures
Ability to swim and breathe underwater(natural swim speed equal to land speed)
+1 (1/8ths lvl) athletics

Xara are often called "Children of the Myst". This is a Two-fold name, as when they rise in the morning a layer of mist often lingers above the water they call their home. It is also an abbreviation for "Mystery" due to their inability to properly explain when they arrived on Hallow. The majority of Xara live on plates a little less than a mile thick that form a bowl for water to rest in. Tiny islands dot the center of the plate and are mainly used for agricultural purposes.
Individual Xara are slender and slick typically standing about 5'4-6' with near hairless bodies save for the tiny hairs that keep them warm in cold water. Most Xara are more than adept swimmers, with muscle structure based more on tone than bulk. While their lifespan only just surpasses humans they are born, almost without exception, with a terrible thirst for knowledge both in information and experience. They tend to avoid thing that would inhibit quenching their thirst, such as wars, excessive anything, and to some extent death.

Xara Society

One would typically find these people in underwater towns and cities usually made from coral, and where large congregations of Xara are, massive libraries are found as well. Their great thirst for knowledge inadvertently made them excellent librarians, with such vast scores of information surpassed only by Her Ladies Secrets. One thing that surprises most however, is their lack of information on themselves and their origins. Whether this comes from lack of actual information or just a general lack of caring is unknown to scholars, and when asked about it most Xara simply say that they "Come from the water."

The majority of income for the Xaran settlements comes from trade. Having access to realms that other races cannot reach easily gives them a large reserve of water based resources that others simply cannot feasibly reach. In exchange for the rare goods they provide, most Xara trade for water proofed books and other whimsical purchases, as well as gathering necessities for themselves. Despite this large trading history however, Xara are not typically shrewd merchants and are quite generous when they get what they are after.

Xara Magic and Technology

Being a people that tend toward new information and experiences, Xara have a wide array of technologies and magics brought in from interactions with many other races. While most of the artifacts they posses seem whimsical at first, most things valued by the community have at least one practical purpose. Be it protection from nature, a means to produce goods, or simply reflecting the right amount of light into a room, nothing is kept without having a justifiable purpose.

Ideas and suggestions for expanding on them would be appreciated.

Cieyrin
2012-02-02, 01:36 PM
Looks alright, though I'm not sure why you need to explicitly note that they can swim underwater. Most creatures can swim underwater, with varying degrees of success from 'not at all' to 'like a fish'. Being amphibious is another thing entirely, though. :smallwink:

Nice touch having their Strength penalty balanced out by a bonus to Athletics so they're not actually bad at movement. With Breakneck Pace as their bonus feat, they have good potential to being among the fastest creatures around, especially with Discipline of the Crane and a mount (ride that manta ray!).

Geigan
2012-02-02, 03:50 PM
The ability to breathe and swim underwater was the third part of the racial abilities listed as typical options for races. I believe it's meant to give the character a base swim speed, which is why Fish in the Water isn't one of the bonus racial feats since it would be redundant. I'll change that to make it more clear.

Thanks for the feedback.:smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2012-02-02, 03:59 PM
The ability to breathe and swim underwater was the third part of the racial abilities listed as typical options for races. I believe it's meant to give the character a base swim speed, which is why Fish in the Water isn't one of the bonus racial feats since it would be redundant. I'll change that to make it more clear.

Thanks for the feedback.:smallsmile:

Ah yes, that would make a difference, getting a free swim speed.