PDA

View Full Version : For the Queen! (IC)

Simba
2012-02-02, 06:01 AM
Outside the first storm of this young northern winter is raging, piling snow high against the walls of Castle Harn. Life pauses, as it does each winter, as the elements force most living things to seek shelter.

Inside, a woman in her mid thirties paces in a room high up in one of Harn's massive fortress towers, her belly swollen and her back aching. The child inside her squirms as if feeling her fear, her anger and her pain. Soon, it will be born, a true child of winter. Her first daughter...

A fire crackles merrily in the huge fireplace and soft, warm rugs of Dorish design cover most of the walls and floor. A settee stands in front of the fireplace, facing 5 simple chairs over a low table covered with maps. The woman is clad in simple, warm clothing, only the small circlet on her head showing her exalted station.

Queen Dorina startles as a knock on the door interrupts her fretting.

"Come in!" she says, her voice strong and firm. She stops in front of the settee to greet the people she has been expecting.

lostsole31
2012-02-02, 08:09 AM
Sigurd is the first to enter. Since most depictions of Viking culture do not have a lot of bowing, prostrating, and kow-towing - often royalty is simply given greater deference (fitting for her clothing) - he nods as he enters. "My Queen, it is an honor to be called by you."

He comes up to as he greets her, stopping at a respectful distance. "I see you are only about two months or so to delivery. How are things progressing? Any complications?"Heal check to figure point of pregnancy: [roll0]

Debbie_D
2012-02-02, 10:07 AM
ZOHRA & XENOBIA

Zohra and Xenobia are the next to enter, so silent are they that no one notices their arrival, as Sigurd ends his salutation to the Queen, they are just suddenly there. Neither one says much for the moment, only a cursory nod to the Queen. They will wait for business to be discussed.

MikelaC1
2012-02-02, 10:11 AM
(just getting subscription running, Debbie posted for both us. when its something simple like that, our posts will probably be done for both...when its a battle or other, we will separate them)

GuyFawkes
2012-02-02, 01:07 PM
Krimm

A young man clad in Dorish robes enters the room with a calm and composed gait. He has tanned skin, black hair, and charming facial features, and has confidence of a noble written in his demeanor as he approaches the queen and takes a bow.

"Your Majesty, it is a pleasure to see you. To what do I owe the honor of being summoned here?"

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-04, 12:30 AM
Behind the rest enters the imposing form of the Queen's bodyguard of a few years. Standing quite tall and wearing his usual spiked steel breastplate, greaves and gauntlets with chainmail over his arms and legs. His helmet is tucked beneath his arm, and his heavy cloak of iron chains is drawn mostly around himself.

"My Liege," he says, his voice gravelly and harsh, almost hoarse. As he speaks, he places his closed fist over his chest and bows. "You called for me?"

((sorry for the delayed post, been a bit busy))

lostsole31
2012-02-05, 03:29 AM
While awaiting the queen's replies to the many queries put to her, Sigurd slaps Rogash on the back and says, "Good to see you again, Rogash. The queen fear no harm to her person as long as your steady arm is at her ready service."

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-05, 03:47 AM
The heavy chains of Rogash's cloak rattle and clank briefly as Sigurd slaps the tall Dragonborn on the back. Tossing a gruff, scaly smile to the Captain of the Guard, Rogash nods to him and replies quietly, "And you as well, Sigurd. Careful of the cloak -- it's where I keep my battle chain."

He turns his attention towards the Queen again after speaking, awaiting her response to the arrival of her subjects.

Simba
2012-02-06, 03:13 AM
Queen Dorina

Queen Dorina looks each of you in the eye for a moment, catching your attention, before she sighs: "Thank you for coming. Each of you has proven time and again that you can be trusted to do the best for the Kingdom. We have a problem that I have trouble solving alone, so I need your help. As you know our war in the south is going poorly. Now that the gnolls have joined us we were able to slow the enemy down, but we need more reinforcements. I have been negotiating with the King under the mountain, Drain of the dwarves of Deepfast. The king is open to negotiations, but asked me to visit him personally in order to hammer out the last details. As you can see I am hardly in shape to travel so far in this weather, so I offered to send my younger son instead. Prince Hudos is still young but I am sure he will manage to represent our interests. I ask you to take him safely to Deepfast and bring him back in one piece, with a signed and solid treaty in hand."

Find a short description of Prince Hudos in the OOC thread.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-06, 09:50 AM
Krimm

"Hmm, is that so?" Krimm starts and steps forward. "It is rather early for the young Prince to be in such a journey at such a critical time. If only Prince Hadil were here, he would have been much suitable for the job. Though I do commend his bravery for going off into the battlefield. He did take after his father."

He stops a while to gather his thoughts. "On the other hand, I do see the little prince has it in him to see this through. He has the makings of a king himself, yes. Though, if I may ask. How did the dwarf king take to this arrangement?"

Debbie_D
2012-02-06, 10:18 AM
ZOHRA

I may not know much about dwarven culture, but would not sending the prince be viewed as an insult by the dwarven monarch? A sign that you do not consider this visit important enough to tend to it personally. I know your condition makes travel difficult but the dwarves tend to be a "tough it out" kind of people.

lostsole31
2012-02-06, 03:23 PM
Sigurd says, "They can take it as they will. Kings and queens - dwarven or otherwise - do not leave their country in time of need to sate some cultural ego. If they don't understand, then they don't. We can't help that. What we can do is be the best guardians and representatives for Queen Dorina and the Prince that we can be."

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-06, 09:56 PM
The scale-faced bodyguard simply nods to the Queen, acknowledging and accepting her request. "I for one will defend the Prince with my life, just as I have watched over you."

lostsole31
2012-02-07, 01:57 AM
Sigurd nods and says, "I, for my part, will try to make sure I bring everybody back alive."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-07, 02:32 AM
Krimm

Krimm turns to address the Har. "Ah, indeed. Indeed you are right, sir Sigurd. But it would do us good to be prepared for whatever welcome we would be receiving. It would not do us well to present the prince with unnecessary danger of having to go on this trip and having us turned back once we get there, yes?" He finishes with a smile.

lostsole31
2012-02-07, 02:54 AM
"One thing at a time ... all decisions are not made at once, but in succession."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-07, 03:37 AM
Krimm

"Correct. And yet all of these points are predicated upon the single answer of how the dwarf king received this arrangement, are they not?"

MikelaC1
2012-02-07, 07:44 AM
XENOBIA

Xenobia steps forward to stand with her friend Zohra.
Of course, we will both do our part to defend the prince's life. Zohra was just making sure that the dwarves understand the reasons behind the prince coming instead of the Queen.

Simba
2012-02-07, 07:50 AM
Queen Dorina

Queen Dorina sighs, on her face a mixture of hope and fear: "You will take good care of Hudos, but I can't help being afraid for him. The way is long and the weather is getting worse as winter settles in. No loving mother would send her child away as I have to."

She straightens a little, then adds: "Everything you will need is being prepared as we speak. You can leave within the hour if you want. Hudos will be here presently."

As if on cue there is a soft knock on the door. The boy who enters is tall for his age, with his mother's black hair and his father's blue eyes and broad shoulders. Clad in soft leather clothes and sturdy boots, with a waraxe at his side, he looks much like a rich traveling merchant's son. He looks at each of you, his eyes filled with suppressed fear, but also pride and determination. "Greetings! I am Prince Hudos. Some of you already know me. Mother tells me we will travel together to visit the dwarves. I am ready to leave as soon as you want. I promise to do my best to avoid being a burden on the way."

Debbie_D
2012-02-07, 08:17 AM
ZOHRA

Both of us travel light, we are ready to leave as soon as everyone else is.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-07, 08:52 AM
Krimm

The young man turns and smiles at the newcomer. "Your Highness," he bows. "Well, it seems everything is in order then. I am always on the ready, and if needed, we can depart this very moment."

lostsole31
2012-02-07, 03:48 PM
Sigurd adds, "In travelling to get here, I am already geared to travel out. Rogash, if you are ready, we will head out. Queen Dorina, do you have a map for our journey?"If it turns out that one of us knows the way from experience, great. Otherwise, without a map, Sigurd has K: Geography [roll0]

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-08, 05:36 AM
Rogash looks over the Prince briefly. He had encountered the Prince many times before, so unfamiliarity is not an issue for him -- his concern lies in the young boy's inexperience. "Were I not ready to travel at a moment's notice, I would be a poor servant indeed. It seems to me that we are all prepared."

Simba
2012-02-08, 06:32 AM
Queen Dorina

"Thank you! I wish you all a safe journey there and back, and success with your negotiations. Come back as soon as you can."

You take your leave from the queen and file out, where Prince Hudos turns to you: "Please bring your gear to the outer yard, I will see to the dogs. I hope you are all ready for the weather conditions outside."

Despite his firm delivery, it is obvious that Prince Hudos is more than a little afraid.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-08, 11:15 AM
Krimm

As soon as they are out of the room, Krimm quickly signals for his assistant, who had been waiting outside. "Go and fetch my adventuring gear. Bring it to the courtyard as soon as possible. It seems I will be gone for a while. Tell my father it is one of those trips. He'll know what to do." He dismisses the girl after he finishes with his instructions and turns to the prince. Judging by the young boy's fidgeting, it is clear he has his fears for the trip. He slaps the prince's shoulder.

"Don't worry, boy! When has Uncle Krimm failed your mother, eh? Relax a little. As long as I am with you, everything will be all right," he beams at him.

MikelaC1
2012-02-08, 07:48 PM
Xenobia and Zohra head out to the outer yard to await the others, their gear is already packed and ready.

Simba
2012-02-10, 02:56 AM
Prince Hudos

The young prince seems to relax a little and gives Krimm a small smile: "I know I have the best people with me one could wish for. It is just that the task seems a little too much for me. Saving the world, right? A task for heroes."

He turns and walks down the stairs, towards the outer yard.

As you arrive the sound of many dogs barking and milling around greets you. Two medium sized sledges are being packed and Prince Hudos is busy lashing dogs into position in front of one of them. The other sledge seems to be his own, with Hudos's huge Malamute in lead position and 9 more dogs behind him. It seems you will be leaving soon.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-10, 04:39 AM
Krimm

"Ahh, but who said you cannot be a hero, or that you are not one already?" he winks at the young boy and keeps with his pace as they walk. "Remember what you have been taught, and remember who you are. You are the crown prince. Hold your head high and never let anyone look down on you. You have your father's bravery and your mother's sensibilities. I know you have it in you to pull this off. Just do what you need to do and leave the rest to us," he smiles.

He opts to keep the small talk going, to keep the prince's mind off his worries on his mission. "Speaking of your father, has there been any word from him and your brother?" By then they are at the outer yard, and he looks around for his assistant and his gear.

Simba
2012-02-10, 04:52 AM
Prince Hudos

The young prince smiles and seems to be a little less unsure as you enter the outer yard. He nods at Krimm and says: "Will you help me with the dogs? I know my own team so lets start with them."

Working with the sledges and dogs seems to calm the young man even more and when the others arrive he seems to be himself again.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-10, 07:15 AM
Krimm

"But of course, your Highness," he goes and assists in setting up the sledge.

Debbie_D
2012-02-10, 07:30 AM
ZOHRA, XENOBIA

For her part, Xenobia doesnt have much knowledge in how to deal with dogs or sleds, and just tries to stay out of the way.

Zohra likewise has little experience in these matters, but she does know that music soothes the savage beast, so she decides to play her lute and hum a little bit, hoping that she can distract the dogs and get them to settle down and listen, making the job of harnessing them easier.

[roll0] Perform

lostsole31
2012-02-10, 03:00 PM
Sigurd moves out to the yard and does his part to prep harness, sled, and dogs.

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-10, 08:51 PM
Rogash follows the others out to the yard and lends a hand with preparing the sleds, staying close to Hudos most of the time. He seems much less inclined to keeping the young prince's spirits up than Krimm, instead opting to stay silent and grimly vigilant.

Simba
2012-02-11, 07:39 AM
Prince Hudos

Together you finish with the sledes quickly and soon everything is ready for your departure. Hudos will take one of them, but who will take the second?

The following traits and abilities help, in the order given:
- Animal Handling
- Survival
- high Wisdom
- high Charisma

GuyFawkes
2012-02-11, 08:40 AM
Krimm

The young girl from earlier arrives after the sledge is finally prepared, with some winter gear and a backpack full of things that seem to clink and clang against each other upon each step. She hands it to Krimm and he whispers some final instructions before dismissing her.

"Your Majesty will be taking that one, yes? Two of us will ride with him, and the rest will take the other. I could be in any of the two, but I am not confident in my riding skills to take command of the second sled. Any of you ladies and gentlemen want to take up that position?" he smiles.

lostsole31
2012-02-11, 08:43 PM
Sigurd prefers a horse to a dogsled, but if no one else feels good about it, he'll take the other sled.No Handle Animal
Survival +8
Wisdom 18, but Charisma only 8

It's not 'riding' ... but in case it helps he is just barely proficient above baseline, with Ride +4

MikelaC1
2012-02-12, 12:06 AM
XENOBIA & ZOHRA

Both Xenobia and Zohra has the CHA bonus, but both take a penalty on WIS, so command of the sled is out for them

Xenobia and Zohra are both lightweights, and should probably split up to divide the weight between the two sleds.

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-12, 04:31 PM
Rogash has a Wisdom of 12 and a Charisma of 16, but only +1 Survival and +3 Handle Animal. Not entirely certain how useful he'll be for this.

Rogash is also more accustomed to horses than sleds, but is willing to drive.

lostsole31
2012-02-12, 05:13 PM
Sigurd will take the reins on the other sled. See OOC.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-12, 11:42 PM
Krimm

"Right, since none of us knows how to commandeer a sled, Sigurd will take the other one. Rogash and one of you ladies can go with the Prince and the other one and myself will be with Sigurd. Does everyone agree with this arrangement?"

lostsole31
2012-02-13, 12:08 AM
Sigurd doesn't say anything ... as a sled driver, he doesn't care who is on his sled.

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-13, 08:35 AM
Rogash nods in agreement, finding it best that he stay close to the Prince. He moves over to Hudos's sled.

MikelaC1
2012-02-13, 09:18 AM
XENOBIA, ZOHRA

Xenobia moves to the sled that the Prince is on, while Zohra moves to the other one. As soon as other people get on, they get on as well.

Simba
2012-02-13, 10:51 AM
When everyone is settled Prince Hudos drives the first sled out of the fortress gates, followed by the second sled driven by Sigurd.

Once outside the wind hits you with full force and you start on your way north feeling like icicles.

The dogs are happy to get some movement, though, and you make a good time.

Please roll Handle Animal or Survival for Sigurd :)

lostsole31
2012-02-13, 02:42 PM
Sigurd's Survival [roll0]

Simba
2012-02-17, 04:55 AM
Once Sigurd gets used to driving a sled, Prince Hudos instructions make more sense and you make a good time despite the unfriendly weather.

Seeking shelter in small corpses of stunted woods and caves, you manage to escape the worst of the weather at least for the night. The cold is constant, but you get used to it after a few days. Prince Hudos seems to be happy and keeps your spirits high with his enthusiasm for dogs and sledes.

One night, after about 2 weeks of travel, you take shelter from an incoming snowstorm in a cave. What seemed to be a rather small and cosy hole in the mountain turns out to be a rather deep cavern.

As you settle for the night you hear sounds from deeper inside, strange howlings and mutterings, distorted by the walls of the cave.

What do you do?

MikelaC1
2012-02-17, 08:14 AM
XENOBIA

Normally, I would all be for exploring deeper and finding out what those things are...and probably slaying them. But we are on a more important diplomatic mission, and getting into danger would not be appreciated by our patron. Nevertheless, we need to set watchs in case whatever is down there comes out after us. Zohra and I will take the first watch.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-17, 02:24 PM
Krimm

With the harsh weather, Krimm finds it hard to be optimistic. Nevertheless, he finds it in him to push on and try to be. Feeding off of the Prince's enthusiasm, he tells stories of his escapades on the battlefield as well as other more humorous tales to lighten up the mood. He knows the success on this mission lies on the boy, and he would do well to have high spirits when facing the dwarf king.

As they rest for the night, Krimm begins to prepare their sleeping gear and afterwards, starts his usual session of stories. But before he could begin, the group hears a strange noise coming from the deeper parts of the cave. They have noticed earlier that the cave is larger than it first seemed, and it may indeed be harboring creatures in its depths.

"Yes, you right. We cannot afford to risk the safety of the prince by going in. Be prepared. We would most certainly be having visitors tonight. I can take watch any time after you." He looks around at the layout of the cave. "We might want to place a few light sources around there," he points at the edge of the cave wall*. "A torch or a bonfire, to make it easier for us to see what is coming from a safer distance."

*Krimm would point to a somewhere like a bend or a choke point in the cave. If there are none, or said places are very far away, he would point at several feet away from them, around 60 feet.

lostsole31
2012-02-17, 06:25 PM
Sigurd speaks, "Torches are not needed when Odur's light is available."

He moves about the portion of the cave where the party is gathered, using light as tactically as possible - to provide good illumination for the party, while behind corners or walls to cut down on light pollution down the tunnel.

"Krimm ... ladies, do any of you require solid sleep for your magic (if any)? I do not for my spells, but my body. I know many wizards need a straight run of rest, however. If so, I suggest you each take the very first and very last watch. Rogash and I will take watch more to the middle of night."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-18, 12:38 AM
Krimm

"Yes, that is much better," the young man nods. "And right, I should probably take my rest as well, so I would be taking the last watch. Whoever takes the watch before me, please wake me around halfway into your watch, so I could do my preparations."

As soon as all preparations are done, Krimm would settle down and go to sleep.

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-18, 03:31 AM
Rogash has spoken little over the time in which they have traveled, and this night is no exception. The grim bodyguard stares down into the tunnels with a dubious frown before giving a begrudging grunt and sitting down, removing the most cumbersome pieces of his armor so that he can rest until his watch.

MikelaC1
2012-02-18, 08:56 AM
XENOBIA

I have no need of rest for spells, if that is an issue.

ZOHRA

However, I do, and thats why I/we volunteered to take first watch.

Simba
2012-02-20, 10:01 AM
You settle for the night. Outside, the snowstorm is still raging, but inside your little fire makes it almost cosy.

After a few hours - close to midnight - the howling from deeper inside the cave starts again. It goes on for about an hour of so, then ends.

Sigurd and Xenobia are on watch when Sigurd sees something moving just outside the circle of light cast by your spells. A shadow, small and sticking to the walls, then another. They move slowly and are very hard to spot against the light.

What do you do?

lostsole31
2012-02-20, 03:09 PM
Sigurd clacks his bastard sword against his shield, "We have visitors. Wake up."

He then calls down the cavern. "Be you friend or foe ... or foolishly curious? We shall not attack you unless you show yourselves determined to die."

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-21, 02:40 AM
Rogash looks up as Sigurd speaks, climbing to his feet and grabbing his battle chain, pulling it from his cloak where it blended together with the rest of the chains. He narrows his eyes, looking down the tunnel as he tries to blink the sleep from his eyes. "How many?" he asks quietly.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-21, 03:03 AM
Krimm

With the first sound of clanking metal, Krimm is up and about, his hands instinctively going for his crossbow. He stands up and immediately hurries where the prince is, staying close to him as he tries to determine the nature of their uninvited guest.

Perception: [roll0]

lostsole31
2012-02-21, 04:50 AM
Sigurd answers Rogash, "Two minimum - small, stealthy, shadowy creatures - it's two if it's twenty. Wake the dogs as well."

Simba
2012-02-21, 05:11 AM
The dogs are already on their feet, forming a tight ring around the prince. They part to let Krimm pass.

Well trained as they are they make no move to attack, but seem to await a command from their master.

As a few seconds pass by you can make out more and more shadowy forms crowding just outside the lights. Then all of a sudden they withdraw a little, making room for a lone figure that steps out into the light.

It is an old woman, dressed in dirty rags and walking slowly, leaning on a stick of gnarled wood. Under her hood you can make out a strip of black cloth that is tied around her head, covering her eyes. Despite of the blindfold she walks with pride and in obvious comfort. She stops about 20' from you and raises her head as if to look at each of you, then nods: "Yes, you are the one who was said to come. Good. Now that you are here I can show you your task and I can finally leave. It's been too long already."

Her voice is high and thin, her words interrupted by small coughs and cackles every few words. She must be very old.

"Come, follow me. Leave the dogs, my pets will not harm you. We should hurry, it is high time."

GuyFawkes
2012-02-21, 09:09 AM
Krimm

Krimm looks at the old woman and tries to make sense of who she is and what she is saying. When she turns to leave, he speaks up.

"Pardon me, madam. But if you would like to introduce yourself? And what exactly is this task we are supposed to do that you are speaking of?"

MikelaC1
2012-02-21, 09:48 AM
XENOBIA

I too would like answers to those questions. We are already on a mission, for our queen, of the highest diplomatic level and cannot afford delays

lostsole31
2012-02-22, 02:07 AM
Sigurd, of a culture that is used to such mediums, knows not to question the woman for they are the mouthpieces of the gods in a way that he can never quite be. Let the Dori be hesitant.

Sigurd says, "I shall follow you, old woman, to see what the gods have for our path."

Simba
2012-02-22, 03:27 AM
The Crone

The old woman turns her head so it faces Sigurd and nods: "Then follow me. Prince Hudos should be safe enough with you so the foreigners don't have to come if they are afraid."

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-22, 03:41 AM
The Dragonborn bodyguard grimaces, untrusting. "I will come as well -- I will not leave the Prince's side," he declares, picking up his breastplate and strapping himself into it, the heavy cloak of chains still attached to the hooks along the back.

Debbie_D
2012-02-22, 07:32 AM
ZOHRA

Fear is not a part of the equation. Purpose of the mission is. We are supposed to be saving our world from being over-run by the undead. Or have we all forgotten that little problem? Tell me how dealing with this matter relates in the least bit to making an alliance with the dwarves, and we will gladly accompany you. Other than that, I will not break the Queens trust.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-22, 11:42 AM
Krimm

Krimm nods. "My sentiments exactly. We do not have time for useless things. So unless you explain yourself, the prince is not going anywhere."

lostsole31
2012-02-22, 04:06 PM
Sigurd turns to the three Dori, and now the three Har (including the prince, it seems) face the three Dori. "Prince Hudos and Rogash can both explain, but in the end it is cultural and must be taken on faith. There are crones who have the gift of sight, but the power of divination is not a mystery to your people. However, what is important, those that are gifted were gifted for one important vision in their lives - and it is almost always their last one. In every major quest of our people's story, an old woman always appears with a vision that is important to the hero's journey, even if he doesn't believe her at first. She gives her last vision, and having fulfilled the purpose with which she was given sight in the first place, she is blessed with death.

"I believe that not all paths to the gods' will is in a direct line, and definitely not always in line with the desire of we mortals. I do not get my powers by allegiance to the Queen, but to the gods. I use this power to aid my secular allegiance. If Prince Hudos agrees, then we shall accompany him. If it is a trap and we are beset and killed, then perhaps it was not our destiny to complete our mission."

Simba
2012-02-28, 08:58 AM
The Crone

The old woman turns and starts walking away. At the edge of the light she stops and turns to see who is following: "You can wait here if you want. No harm will come to you either way."

Seeing that at least 3 of you follow, she shrugs and starts walking into the darkness. Prince Hudos follows her, his lead dog at his side: "I will follow, but Shadow comes with me."

The old woman just shrugs as she enters the tunnel.

Who follows her?

GuyFawkes
2012-02-28, 01:46 PM
Krimm

He does not understand anything about faith; all Krimm knows and acknowledges are pure facts and logic. Nevertheless the Prince has said his word, and it would be futile to go against his words, especially about tradition. They are always so deep into traditions.

"Very well, if it is your will, your Highness. I cannot let the Prince out of my sight. I shall go with you," he says to the old lady. He hurriedly picks up his gear and goes after the others.

Debbie_D
2012-02-28, 02:11 PM
ZOHRA, XENOBIA

Muttering about having to babysit a headstrong Prince, Zohra and Xenobia follow as well, their word was to guard the Prince and they have to follow.

lostsole31
2012-02-28, 03:51 PM
[Finally posting, oh-so briefly. Sorry, Mik/Deb/Sim, for being absent the past several days on all games ...]

Sigurd continues down with all the rest.

Archdeacon GX
2012-02-29, 01:49 AM
The towering bodyguard keeps close to Hudos, following with the rest into the tunnels and not daring to let down his guard. His chains rattle as they all head deeper inside.

Simba
2012-03-01, 02:14 AM
Leaving all but one of the dogs behind you enter a world of darkness and shadows. As the walls of the tunnel close around you a soft blue light comes to life, just strong enough to keep you from stumbling, but too soft to see anything beyond a meter or so. The tunnel is narrow and seems to be of natural origin, but the path you follow shows sign of frequent use over a long time. Whenever you come to one of many side tunnels, soft noises coming from then alert you to the presence of creatures you can not make out, but the crone guides you unerringly deeper and deeper down.

After about half an hour the walls of the tunnel give you more room as you enter a wider area. Here there is light, blue radiance coming from the walls themselves. A primitive camp indicates that this is where the crone makes her home.

The old woman turns to the prince, her blindfolded eyes finding his face with ease: "Prince Hudos, your destiny awaits you. Are you willing to face what the gods have in store for you?"

Prince Hudos hesitates for a moment, fear, curiosity and determination warring within him. Then he lifts his head, meets her hidden eyes and nods: "I am ready. Gods willing..."

The crone turns towards the rest of you, asking: "And you, brave companions? Are you willing to follow your liege into the dark, to face what destiny has in store for him? It is dangerous, do not doubt, but it is worth the risk. At least it will free me from my duty."

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-01, 02:39 AM
"Where the Prince goes, I go," Rogash declares, undaunted. He reaches up to the insignia emblazoned upon his breastplate between the multitude of spikes -- a holy symbol -- and clenches his fist over it. "And with me go the gods."

((I'm going to start Bolding Rogash's speech, I think to more easily distinguish it from the rest of the text and from the crone's speech.))

MikelaC1
2012-03-01, 09:21 AM
XENOBIA, ZOHRA

Where the prince goes, we go

We've been posting Xenobia and Zohra's actions together when its something simple like this, dont worry when it comes to battle or something that requires it, they will be in separate posts.

lostsole31
2012-03-01, 10:39 AM
Sigurd simply nods and smiles, saying a silent prayer to Odur in his head.

Simba
2012-03-02, 10:03 AM
The Crone

"Very well. He will need help down there, that much I can tell you. May the gods be with you!"

With these words the crone points to another tunnel that starts at the side of the cavern.

"Darkness awaits you, Prince Hudos, and grave danger, but in the end the reward is great. Your kingdom depends on it!"

Prince Hudos nods, then resolutely lifts his head and walk towards the indicated tunnel, his dog at his side.

The tunnel is wide enough for two people to walk side by side, but no more. The walls are rough and uneven, as is the ground under your feet.

As you enter a rancid, rotten, slightly sulphourous smell fills the air around you. It is not strong right now, but you suspect it will become worse as you go.

How do you wish to procede? Marching order? Light? Any other precautions?

MikelaC1
2012-03-02, 10:51 AM
XENOBIA

I am trained as a scout and in the arts of stealth. I will lead the group, about 20 yards in front of you all. Hopefully I will be able to give us advance notice of something that will be opposing us.

ZOHRA

I should be near to the rear of the group, I am no front line combatant.

GuyFawkes
2012-03-02, 01:43 PM
Krimm

Still thinking about this whole ordeal as dubious, Krimm just sighs and lets it pass. "Right. Xenobia will take point. Sigurd will lead the rest of us, with the dog beside him, followed by His Highness with Rogash beside him. Zohra will follow, with me taking up the rear. This tunnel smells of sulphur, so we might want to avoid anything to do with fire around these parts, lest we want to explode ourselves. Sigurd, do you still have that light source of yours? It would be handy for providing illumination without heat."

He then rummages through his belt pouch and produces a glass bottle and a curious device which he puts on top of the bottle. "And before we press further into this dank, dreary, and malodorous place, a little hint of lavender to relax and sooth your senses," he says before applying his perfume on each one of them.

Apply Zen parfum as spray. 6 sprays per bottle consumes the whole bottle among the 6 of us. Adds +2 competence bonus to all saves. Lasts for 4 hours.

lostsole31
2012-03-02, 02:53 PM
"A good order in general, Krimm, but Rogash will be up with me, and the dog with the prince. I doubt the dog is as good a fighter as Rogash, and if we lose the dog that will hurt us in moving with the sleds. As for light," and he casts a simple enchantment on his shield that is as bright as a torch, "the power of the sun is limitless. It will also throw their sentries off, if there are any. They'll pay more attention to the light source than the skulking figure well ahead of it in the shadows."

GuyFawkes
2012-03-02, 03:26 PM
Krimm

The Dorian nods in ascent. "Right, I would agree on all accounts. Well, if nobody else has any concerns, let us be off then."

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-02, 05:01 PM
Nodding to Sigurd, the bodyguard draws his battle chain again, wrapping the central, spikeless links around his gauntlets for a sure grip. "The light won't be the only thing drawing their attention," he remarks, referring to his noisy equipment.

Simba
2012-03-05, 10:15 AM
You follow Xenobia through the tunnel, deeper and deeper down. After a while the smell changes a little and reminds you more of a large carnivore than anything else.

Soon afterwards, the tunnel widens to form a small cave before continuing onwards. You could rest here a little if you want.

lostsole31
2012-03-05, 07:05 PM
Sigurd is willing to press onwards ...

Debbie_D
2012-03-05, 08:34 PM
ZOHRA, XENOBIA

Neither Zohra or Xenobia are tired, and are more than ready to press onward.
The sooner we can get finished with this foolishness, the sooner we can get back to our proper mission

Simba
2012-03-05, 10:55 PM
You press on and enter the tunnel that leads out of the small room. After about 10 minutes of walking you see a faint light ahead, a steady, blue glow.

You investigate and find another cavern, this one very much larger and reeking of some kind of predator. The blue light shines from its walls and is everywhere and the ceiling and floors are rough and uneven, offering cover for you. Bones of large beasts are scattered all around, but otherwise the cavern seems to be empty.

On the other side of the cavern is a portal, about high enough for a large man to step through. Around the portal, runes cover the walls for about a foot or so. Scorchmarks speak of fire washing over the runes quite often and obviously also quite recently.

All this is visible from the mouth of the tunnel that led you here. You will need to look around if you want to find out more. No rolls needed sofar.

GuyFawkes
2012-03-06, 01:34 AM
Krimm

"Stick close, flank the Prince," motioning for Zohra to cover the Prince opposite the dog and he himself sticks closer to the Prince's back. "Any of you familiar with those runes?"

lostsole31
2012-03-06, 02:26 AM
Sigurd will look, but unless it is some type of Nordic script related to his culture/ religion .... well, he doesn't speak anything other than Common, doesn't have Linguistics, and has no spells to help him read any such thing.

Debbie_D
2012-03-06, 07:35 AM
ZOHRA

Zohra motions for Xenobia to take her place flanking the prince (she does so) and then Zohra moves carefully into the room, attempting to use the cover in the room to get to the portal. Once there, she studies the runes to see if she can make them out.
Languages: Common, Dwarf, Draconic
[roll0] Stealth

Simba
2012-03-06, 08:14 AM
Zohra moves into the cave and carefully uses whatever cover is available. When she reaches the middle of the cave she find a set of bones that makes her look twice: Easily 60' long, the skeleton of a dragon lies there. Nothing is left to show its former color or really tell her details about the skeleton, so she moves on. When she reaches the portal, she finds that the runes are in a dwarven dialect, maybe an older form of what the stout folk uses today.

The runes read (a rough translation):

"In his grave well hidden
the greatest king of all times
awaits the coming of one
who will surpass him."

Debbie_D
2012-03-06, 10:01 AM
ZOHRA

Zohra waves the rest of the group forward, and when they arrive, tells them that its an ancient form of dwarvish, and gives them her rough translation of it.

Since its dwarven, I dont know if it could refer to one of our kings or not. Its clear we have entered a tomb of some kind however.

Simba
2012-03-06, 10:07 AM
The map:

http://j50.img-up.net/?up=Cavern2vry8a.jpg

GuyFawkes
2012-03-06, 11:06 AM
Krimm

"A test? Well, whatever it is, it has something to do with you, your Highness? Do you know of anything about this?" He looks around and thinks for a moment. "And judging from the old lady's remark, it should be something with a relatively high level of difficulty, with her pointing his Highness would need our aid."

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-07, 02:39 PM
The Dragonborn bodyguard looks around the cavern curiously, and turns his gaze to the Dragon skeleton. He stares at it for a few moments, a powerful recognition stirring within him as he looks at the corpse. "Perhaps this 'king' is right in front of us."

Knowledge (History) seems appropriate here
[roll0]

lostsole31
2012-03-07, 02:43 PM
Sigurd is not bright (but insightful and not stupid, either), but he happens to know a very little about a great many subjects.Here is a base roll, apply any Knowledge that might be appropriate: engineering/ geography/ history/ nobility/ planes/ religion ... even if that is as an Aid for someone else.

The modifier is the same (+4) for all skills: [roll0]

Simba
2012-03-08, 01:22 AM
You can not be sure about the true meaning of the words, but you guess it might be either a dwarven or maybe a Har king buried around here somewhere.

Prince Hudos looks deep in thought, then silently says: "It might be nothing, but there was a Har king way back, Heinor the Great, who was a peerless warrior and a great leader. He is said to have traveled a lot, venturing into unknown territory many times. He died on one of his expeditions, the legends say. Nobody knows where he died and how, but he sure was a great king. I might be wrong, of course, but maybe we have discovered his grave here."

GuyFawkes
2012-03-08, 02:13 AM
Krimm

"Very well. This might be his grave or not, but there is only one way to find out. Let us go inside. Be prepared, everyone. Who knows what may lie ahead."

MikelaC1
2012-03-08, 07:05 AM
XENOBIA

Xenobia looks into the portal and then if she sees no dangers, she moves in, taking her usual lead scouting position

ZOHRA

If the rest of the party enters, she retakes her spot towards the back of the group.

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-08, 05:04 PM
Rogash lingers for a moment, still staring at the skeletal dragon, before tearing himself away and joining the others through the portal, staying near Hudos as usual.

lostsole31
2012-03-08, 07:31 PM
Sigurd really isn't a dungeon-delver, per se. He oversees the operation rather than getting into the weeds, making sure there are plenty of lights about the cavern ... no just on people's preferred objects (unless they don't want it, like stealth monkeys). Hopefully, all of these lights (like torches) aggregately light up more of the cave than just the sum of its parts.

Simba
2012-03-10, 03:56 AM
Beyond the portal you find a large room magnificently carved out of the rock. It is empty but for a large stone coffin that dominates the room. The walls are decorated with carvings that depict a huge human man fighting alongside dwarves against a huge dragon.

lostsole31
2012-03-10, 01:33 PM
Sigurd looks at Prince Hudos. "Possibly the final resting place of Heinor the Great? Xenobia, Zohra .... many old tombs are protected by hidden dangers and mechanics. Dori have long been more capable at this than we Har. Do you think you could take a look?"

MikelaC1
2012-03-10, 01:56 PM
XENOBIA, ZOHRA

Both Xenobia and Zohra move carefully into the room, and check both the room and the tomb for traps

[roll0] Perception: Xenobia
[roll1] Perception: Zohra

GuyFawkes
2012-03-11, 12:02 AM
Krimm

While the ladies try to search the room for traps, Krimm looks at the carvings and tries to make out what they mean, if he is familiar with them.

Nobility: [roll0]
History: [roll1]

Simba
2012-03-12, 05:56 AM
You search the room but find nothing in the way of traps. The room seems to be just a tomb, with no security measures at all.

The carvings on the wall depict a human warrior king and some dwarves fighting a dragon and winning. The human, however, dies during the fight. There are no runes or heraldic devices that identify the acting persons.

On the coffin you find the figure of a huge human man, crown on his head and a great sword in hand. No shield to show a crest, but on the man's chest there is a small code of arms, almost too faint to see, that shows an older version of the one used in Harland today. It seems the dead king was a Har.

While everybody searches, Hudos' dog gives a low growl and turns towards the portal that brought you here. He seems to smell or otherwise detect danger from that direction.

lostsole31
2012-03-12, 06:41 AM
Lights are all about the cavern by now, as well as on Sigurd's shield and sword. (As a priest of Odur, god of the sun, you can't have too much light, can you?)

Sigurd turns in that direction with sword raised high (and shield readied). "What be you? Come out and face us as friend or foe."

Debbie_D
2012-03-12, 08:22 AM
ZOHRA

Zohra positions herself so that the coffin is between her and the source of the noise.

XENOBIA

Xenobia positions herself so that she is between the source of the noise and the Prince.

GuyFawkes
2012-03-12, 12:22 PM
Krimm

Krimm immediately goes beside the Prince and takes his crossbow from his shoulder, pointing at the direction of the dog's barking. He looks beyond the portal, trying to sense what is there that spooked the canine.

lostsole31
2012-03-12, 02:56 PM
Since we're at it ...

Sigurd's Perception [roll0]

EDIT: As good as his eyes and ears have ever been.

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-12, 09:55 PM
Rogash turns towards the portal, his hands tightening around the heavy spiked chain as they pull it taut. He steps towards it, peering through.

Simba
2012-03-12, 11:04 PM
At a word from Hudos the dog stops barking and you can finally hear what has alerted him. A low, splashing sound coming from the cave outside.

@Sigurd

You hear the splashing as well and are sure it comes from 3 different sources. You also hear a slithering sound, not unlike a snake or a lizard. The smell is unmistakably reptilian, with a little something extra mixed in, something you don't recognize.

lostsole31
2012-03-13, 03:05 PM
"Everyone pull with backs together!" Sigurd orders to the group. "Something reptilian - snakes or lizards - coming in from three directions!"

Sigurd will guide the group into this defensive redoubt. Though X and Z look like they'd both be good at penning in an opponent, until the field is known (and even if they are truly hostile) Sigurd keeps the Master of Maiming aura (+4 to confirm critical hits) and the Motivate Care aura (+2 dodge bonus to AC) ... which goes to the party. Sigurd is as ready to fight as he is to parley, depending on the nature of the bogeys.

Simba
2012-03-14, 12:43 AM
Looking outside Rogash doesn't see much at first but as his eyes adapt to the darkness he can see 3 reptilian shapes, each about 2-3 meters long. One is running towards the cave entrance at remarkable speed, wings flapping, while the other 2 hang back a little. Dragons? They sure look like dragons, but they must be pretty young to be this small.

lostsole31
2012-03-14, 02:59 AM
"We will defend ourselves if we must," calls Sigurd, "but hopefully it need not come to that."

GuyFawkes
2012-03-14, 10:16 AM
Krimm

The Dor stands steadfast, waiting for whatever is beyond the portal, crossbow on the ready.

Debbie_D
2012-03-14, 10:22 AM
ZOHRA, XENOBIA

Zohra and Xenobia continue to hold their positions, Zohra keeping the coffin between her and the threat, while Xenobia maintains her guard position over the prince.

Simba
2012-03-15, 04:24 AM
You stand ready to defend yourselves and your prince.

After a few seconds of waiting a young black dragon a little smaller than a horse appears in the portal for a split second before moving away again.

Do you hold your fire or attack?

lostsole31
2012-03-15, 05:01 AM
That's awfully vague ... what size? Anyway, Sigurd doesn't know the particular of this dragon vice that dragon. So, he calls out, "Midnight-coloured linnorm, what do you seek? What would you want of either us or the hallowed tomb of this once-great king!"

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-16, 05:13 AM
Rogash holds fast in place nearest the portal, chain at the ready and staring through at the dragon(s), waiting for them to answer Sigurd's question by words or action. But the presence of real, living dragons seems to unnerve him, as he seems hesitant, something in his blood calling out and resonating with the wyrms beyond the portal. His own scales on his forehead fold into each other as he furrows his brow, trying to focus, his serpentine eyes allowing him a good look into the darkness as colors fade into shades of grey.

Racial Low-Light Vision/Darkvision should help him out a bit here, going by Simba's post.

MikelaC1
2012-03-16, 08:05 AM
XENOBIA

Xenobia holds her position as well, first of all she doesnt want to take on a dragon by herself, and secondly, she worries that the first appearance might have been a feint to draw them out of position.

GuyFawkes
2012-03-16, 11:11 AM
Krimm

"Hold your ground. Do not fight until it shows hostile intent," the Dor states the obvious course of action. But then again better to be sure. Was that a dragon we just saw? He turns to the Prince. "Do not worry, your Highness. We shall protect you," he says to him in an effort to reassure him.

Simba
2012-03-19, 05:18 AM
A few seconds pass, quietly but for a little slithering outside, then a deep, resonating voice is heard: "What brings you to our home, brave little people? If you leave now and show proper respect we will let you go. What you seek is not there, anyway."

lostsole31
2012-03-19, 10:50 AM
Sigurd speaks, "It was never our intention to come down this far, but an old crone whose eyes were touched by the gods brought us here. Who are you, that wittingly or no you watch over and protect the hidden resting place of one of our greatest kings?"

Simba
2012-03-22, 04:53 AM
"I am Gloring, eldest of Glaruna's brood. You have trespassed, entered my territory without permission and you have entered the pretty cave. For that you will die, little people."

GuyFawkes
2012-03-22, 11:09 AM
Krimm

"Forgive our intrusion, oh Great One. We have come here to visit our King's resting place without knowing you have claimed it for your own. Earlier you have given the option that we could leave without being harmed. If you would grace us with that offer still, we would certainly take it. We have not harmed nor taken anything here."

Debbie_D
2012-03-22, 07:53 PM
ZOHRA

Zohra isnt about to waste any time on pleasantries or boastful threats. The rest of the party wanted to come down here on some mission, and they were going to see it through. She uses her Inspirational Boost spell, along with her Inspire Courage to boost the party

+3 to hit, +3 damage, +3 on saves vs. charm, fear

lostsole31
2012-03-22, 11:19 PM
"Right," Sigurd nods and then yells, "Come and get some, wyrm!"

He looks at the Prince as Zohra .... sings/ orates/ plays an instrument/ tells a joke/ juggles???? ... "I'm giving you some of Odur's inner light for battle, call on guidance when you really need. The rest of you, go for joints as they get to the body of your opponent - cuts deeper, but also helps you to stay under or too close for a good strike."FA: Vocal.
SA: Cast guidance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guidance.htm), and place it on Prince.
SwA: Last set of vocals is the RP of Sigurd using his auras:
* Maiming Strike: +4 morale damage to crit (so, only an additional +1 over Zohra's bardy-ness) with a critical strike.
* Motivate Care: +3 dodge bonus to AC.

Archdeacon GX
2012-03-26, 01:47 PM
... as Zohra .... sings/ orates/ plays an instrument/ tells a joke/ juggles???? ...[/COLOR]
((Juggling bard is best bard.))

Rogash narrows his eyes and stands at the front of the group's formation, his stance wide and his chain ready. Uttering a quick prayer of his own to Odur, he calls upon the god's favor to aid him in battle. "Come then Gloring, child of Glaruna. See how well you fare."

Standard Action: Cast Divine Favor on self (+2 Luck bonus to Attack/Damage)

Simba
2012-03-30, 11:34 AM
As seconds stretch into minutes and you stand ready to defend yourselves, nothing happens. It is eerily quiet outside....too quiet!

Do you wait or attack?

lostsole31
2012-03-30, 12:28 PM
"Does anyone know about black-scaled linnorms [dragons]?" asks Sigurd. "Stories tell of fire-breathing dragons. I'm thinking it is trying to draw us into the tunnels to limit our attack lines as well as line us up to torch us with its burning breath."

He looks at the Dori and whispers, "Any chance one of you stealthier types is willing to take a closer look?"

GuyFawkes
2012-03-30, 01:26 PM
Krimm

"I am no expert on dragons, but what I can guess on is most probably it is large that it cannot fit through the door, and what you said about its strategy might be true. And we only have Xenobia here who is rather trained on stealth." He turns to her. "Are you up to the task?"

MikelaC1
2012-03-30, 02:14 PM
XENOBIA

Xenobia is not thrilled with the idea of going after a dragon alone, but she realizes that scouting is her mission, and tries to be as stealthy as possible.

[roll0] Stealth

Simba
2012-04-02, 04:28 AM
Xenobia sneaks over to the portal and listens. Hearing nothing she carefully extends her head to better see what's outside.

She can't make out much, but about 50' directly opposite the entrance she sees a pony-sized form that might just be a rather small dragon trying to hide. Of the other dragons there is nothing to be seen.

MikelaC1
2012-04-02, 09:32 AM
XENOBIA

Xenobia creeps back to the party.

Theres a small dragon outside trying its best to be unnoticed. I dont see the big dragon, if there is one, around. If we go as a group, we should be able to overome the small one, its about the size of a pony

appropriate choice of size explanation, given the forums behaviour on the weekend

Archdeacon GX
2012-04-02, 12:13 PM
"Then I shall take point," Rogash answers quietly, though he dares not speak more, not knowing entirely how well Dragons can hear.

GuyFawkes
2012-04-02, 01:49 PM
Krimm

"My suggestion would be to hurry and go for the tunnels. We do not need to fight them, only to get out of here. Or do we?" he turns to the Prince. "You know, if maybe this is the test you were talking about?"

lostsole31
2012-04-02, 04:12 PM
Sigurd says, "We may or may not have to fight him, but we do have to face him. Rogash, do you think you he would talk? A good test could be for a Prince to know how to parley with those who would otherwise be enemies."

Simba
2012-04-03, 05:04 AM
Prince Hudos

At first Prince Hudos seems to be terrified by the prospect of facing a dragon, but then he lifts his chin and nods: "I will see what they want. Wait here, friends, I have to face this alone."

He turns and walks out of the cave, stopping just a step beyond the portal: "Gloring, eldest of Glaruna's brood, hear me! I am Hudos, son of King King Horil of Harland. Face me and talk to me, face to face!"

After about half a second you hear a deep, throaty chuckle coming from very close by, then Prince Hudos turns and looks up, almost straight up. You see him turn a little pale, but otherwise he seems to be holding together well enough.

The chuckle turns into a full laugh, then you hear the dragon's voice coming from just above the entrance to the cave you're in: "I face you, little man. Know me as Glaurung and fear me. I could kill you in an instant, manling. Tell me, why should I not make a meal out of you?"

Prince Hudos straightens a little, fighting his fear successfully: "We came here to recover the remains of my ancestor, Heinor the Great. Then we will leave. Killing us will not help you much."

--------------------------------------------------------
What does the rest of you do? Anyone who wants to interfere?
--------------------------------------------------------

MikelaC1
2012-04-03, 06:35 AM
XENOBIA

Despitie the fact that he said he wanted to do it alone, Xenobia creeps back outside with Hudos, hiding so that he and the dragon do not notice her. He is her charge, and shes not letting him die alone.

[roll0] Stealth

GuyFawkes
2012-04-03, 12:35 PM
Krimm

Krimm would not go against the Prince, but he would not wait in there either. He follows the Prince but does not interrupt in whatever course he wishes to resolve the matter. After all, he has to undergo such trials. For a country under war, they wouldn't do good to have a ruler who cannot hold his own in the face of danger.

Archdeacon GX
2012-04-04, 11:21 PM
Rogash scowls as he watches the Prince risk his life, and steps forward into the portal. He stands silently behind Hudos, watching and waiting. Still, he keeps his chain at the ready.

Rogash readies an action to Attack anything that attacks the Prince.

lostsole31
2012-04-06, 10:13 PM
Sigurd has the dog come with him as he has bastard sword and shield in hand, just behind Rogash.