PDA

View Full Version : I watched the sun rise this morning

danzibr
2012-02-02, 08:36 AM
Usually I get up at 6:20 and by the time I actually get to a parking spot on the third floor of my parking structure on campus the sun is already up (about 7:24). Today I woke up at 6:10, somehow had everything ready and got out the door around 6:50. I drove all the way to the top of my parking structure, the 6th floor, where it's totally open, affording me a great view of, well, everything. I could see over all the buildings and trees in the direction of the orange horizon.

I just stared for about 10 minutes until I saw a very bright glimmer in the distance. In seconds it grew into a half-circle, then a complete circle. Before today I honestly can't remember the last time I watched the sun rise (if ever). I find it interesting that what makes a sunrise most beautiful is the clouds.

Anyways, anyone else seen a sunrise recently?

Grinner
2012-02-02, 08:38 AM
I've seen a sunset. I think that says a lot about me, actually.

thubby
2012-02-02, 08:39 AM
every day just about. it's just about the only time my town is quiet. sweet, natural silence. now there's something hard to find

arguskos
2012-02-02, 08:47 AM
It's been a few years, but yeah, I've seen the sun rise. I see more sunsets than sunrises, but that's because of my sleep pattern these days.

There is something beautiful about the time period from around 4AM to 6AM. The best party of the day, really.

Pepz
2012-02-02, 09:43 AM
There is something beautiful about the time period from around 4AM to 6AM. The best party of the day, really.

I love that time of day as well, everything is reallly quiet and the world seems to sleep.

Best party of the day indeed :smallwink: (pun intended?)

FearlessGnome
2012-02-02, 11:06 AM
Dawn is beautiful. It's the perfect time for walks, especially in the countryside.

Elemental
2012-02-02, 11:19 AM
Never seen the sun rise, but I have seen the moon rise.
On a school band tour, we decided we'd all go down to the beach and watch the moon as it rose. We were in a spot away from city lights, and I remember how bright the stars were.
As there was an island in the way, we didn't see it rise over the ocean, but still an inspiring experience.
And then afterwards, we sang bits of songs about the moon and relaxed in the cool night breezes.

All in all, one of my fonder memories from school.

I should go down to the beach one of these days and watch the sunrise.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-02, 12:02 PM
I was a morning person even when I was three years old. I would run into my parents' bedroom every morning shouting that the sun was rising. When I was in high school I got up before the sunrise pretty much every morning in winter.

arguskos
2012-02-02, 12:49 PM
I love that time of day as well, everything is reallly quiet and the world seems to sleep.

Best party of the day indeed :smallwink: (pun intended?)
Agreed, all around. :smallwink:

Never seen the sun rise, but I have seen the moon rise.
On a school band tour, we decided we'd all go down to the beach and watch the moon as it rose. We were in a spot away from city lights, and I remember how bright the stars were.
As there was an island in the way, we didn't see it rise over the ocean, but still an inspiring experience.
And then afterwards, we sang bits of songs about the moon and relaxed in the cool night breezes.
On this note, I should recount an episode from my youth (heh, I sound like an old man).

Back when I was a kid, I was vacationing in the summer on my family's private island (yes, we had one; it was recently sold, and I'm sad about that). This was in Canada, between Lake Huron and Lake Superior. My grandmother woke me up one night, and told me something wonderful was happening outside. As I looked out the window, it seemed to me that it was oddly bright, with strange green shadows moving back and forth across the edge of the island. We walked outside, and overhead was the aurora borealis in all its glory. We sat out there on lawn chairs, watching the sky churn for hours and seeing the reflection in the still waters of Lake Huron mirror the chaotic heavens. Eventually, the first rays of light from the rising sun crept over the horizon, driving away the iridescent glow of the aurora. That was the first time I saw both the aurora and a sunrise. I've loved both ever since. Gods above, I wish I could see that island one last time. :smallsigh:

danzibr
2012-02-02, 12:51 PM
Back when I was a kid, I was vacationing in the summer on my family's private island (yes, we had one; it was recently sold, and I'm sad about that). This was in Canada, between Lake Huron and Lake Superior. My grandmother woke me up one night, and told me something wonderful was happening outside. As I looked out the window, it seemed to me that it was oddly bright, with strange green shadows moving back and forth across the edge of the island. We walked outside, and overhead was the aurora borealis in all its glory. We sat out there on lawn chairs, watching the sky churn for hours and seeing the reflection in the still waters of Lake Huron mirror the chaotic heavens. Eventually, the first rays of light from the rising sun crept over the horizon, driving away the iridescent glow of the aurora. That was the first time I saw both the aurora and a sunrise. I've loved both ever since. Gods above, I wish I could see that island one last time. :smallsigh:
I've always wanted to see the northern lights...

Giggling Ghast
2012-02-02, 12:58 PM
Danzibr … did you see the sun rise this morning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7vW1oEKP1k)?

Talya
2012-02-02, 01:05 PM
Sunrises are the reason I can't sleep in while on a cruise ship. Nothing like a sunrise on the ocean...

THAC0
2012-02-02, 01:26 PM
Hate mornings, love sunrise. Sometimes I will force myself out of bed for the photographic opportunities. The last time was when I was backpacking the Grand Canyon. Got up in the dark, hiked a mile and a half to a particular place. Totally worth it (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hlm184/6310034479/in/photostream).

The Underlord
2012-02-02, 05:32 PM
I once went on a mile hike up a mountain at 4 am to watch the sun rise from the top. It was beautiful, but the whole experience left me exhuasted for the rest of the day.

factotum
2012-02-02, 05:48 PM
At this time of year I arrive at work when it's still dark, and I can look out of the window to see the sun rise if I wish--we're on the top floor of a converted cotton mill, and there are no higher buildings between it and the moors on the eastern horizon, so the view is pretty spectacular. Similar thing applies if I'm at home, so long as I look out of the upper windows...

THAC0
2012-02-02, 08:39 PM
Additionally, this is one of the awesome things about northern latitudes during the winter - the sun rises so late that I can see it without getting out of bed early.

Starscream
2012-02-02, 09:02 PM
Took this pic about a month ago while going on a morning jog. Spoilered due to size.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/mtoxg8.jpg

Choco
2012-02-02, 09:19 PM
I got to watch the sun rise every day for about 4 months out of the year over the past 4 years. Living/working out in the plains, and driving east for about 45 minutes right as the sun is rising... yeah, let's just say I kinda lost my appreciation for sunrises (and daylight savings time, which always doubled my staring-at-the-sun-while-trying-to-drive time) during that time...

That being said, when there are clouds in the way, like Starscream's picture, it can look damn awesome.

Othesemo
2012-02-02, 09:29 PM
I got to see the sun rise every bleedin' day of high school, thanks to marching band (which met 0-hour). I fear that social conditional (and 20 degree weather) has somewhat lessened the awe for me. Still, New Mexico sunsets are amazing. Here's an example- it's not mine, but it's still a good representation. I believe that it's taken from around downtown albuquerque, judging by the orientation and size of the sandias.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5164/5280829603_8966058c58.jpg

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-02-02, 09:36 PM
I love sunrises, and I love mornings (if i get at least 7 hours). If its not morning, I get on Minecraft and experience those mornings. Of course it's not as good, but still gets a minor part of the peace through.

TheThan
2012-02-02, 10:26 PM
I’ve seen the sun rise and set, the moon rise and set and I’ve also seen a complete solar eclipse. Color me lucky I guess. Unfortunately I’ve got no pictures of them to share. Its too foggy and overcast to have seen anything today.:smallfrown:

danzibr
2012-02-03, 10:59 AM
Took this pic about a month ago while going on a morning jog. Spoilered due to size.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/mtoxg8.jpg
This picture is absolutely beautiful. I took a couple pictures this morning of the sunrise and realized no camera can do any sunrise justice. Sigh.

pffh
2012-02-03, 11:01 AM
I see the sunrise and the sunset pretty much everyday during winter. Don't see what's so special about it.

Maeglin_Dubh
2012-02-04, 02:35 AM
I don't see the sunrise.

I've already been at work for an hour when it comes up this time of year.

grimbold
2012-02-04, 05:46 AM
i think we all need more sun rises...

Solaris
2012-02-04, 08:12 AM
I look forward more to the days where I don't see the sunrise. As it is, I'm usually up before dawn and working 'til sunset. I tell ya, it loses some of its appeal after a bit.

I've always wanted to see the northern lights...

It's nothing compared to them in Alaska. I recall seeing them during the infamous field problem wherein most of our battalion stayed behind due to the weather being too brutal (they told us this after we were already out there and emplaced). It was so god-awful cold, with near-constant blizzards once we arrived that nobody - and I mean nobody - could muster up the courage to conduct personal hygiene. I was on a guard duty in the middle of a forest, busily trying not to die of cold (yeah, OPFOR doesn't come out when it's 'kill you cold' and you're the only ones out there) when my squad leader called us all out into a clearing to see the aurora.

It was rather spectacular. The entire sky was covered in rivers and banners of bright green shifting to blue, red, and purple. Keep in mind that the night sky in Alaska is already something to write home about, especially when you're hundreds of miles from anybody else. Almost worth the whole ordeal.

Trellan
2012-02-04, 08:31 AM
It may sound a bit pathetic, but one of the best memories of my life comes from high school, playing Diablo II all night at my computer desk set up against a window on the second floor facing the sunrise. It was incredible watching the sky fade from black, to gray, to orange-gray, and gradually to blue. And I got to hit things with a sword while I watched it! :smallbiggrin:

FearlessGnome
2012-02-04, 08:47 AM
It may sound a bit pathetic, but one of the best memories of my life comes from high school, playing Diablo II all night at my computer desk set up against a window on the second floor facing the sunrise. It was incredible watching the sky fade from black, to gray, to orange-gray, and gradually to blue. And I got to hit things with a sword while I watched it! :smallbiggrin:I can sort of sympathize. When I was 17, I lived by the sea, out in the countryside. During the summer, I'd go for walks. Sometimes at dawn, but sometimes before dawn, and then I'd sit down in front of my computer trying to write (at the time surely awful, awful) Fantasy whilst watching the sun rise over the sea.

Flickerdart
2012-02-04, 09:50 PM
Whenever I see the sunrise, I resent it, because it means I am up far too early.

Tragic_Comedian
2012-02-04, 09:56 PM
I always figured that if we were meant to watch the sunrise, it would've been later in the day.

But yeah, I've seen it. Better looking than a sunset.

Riverdance
2012-02-05, 02:26 PM
Not quite a sunrise but the other day I saw the moon set behind a few wispy clouds. It was beautiful.

On another note, last night I was camping out with a nature program at which I am a Councilor-in-Training. Me and another CiT set up an elaborate night game for the kids, where they had to enter into the "Winter Being's" territory by crossing a bridge and climbing up a hill to our fire. There they had to light a torch that the winter beings used to carry their fire and bring it back across the bridge so that spring could return. When they finally got the torch lit I (being one of the Winter Beings) looked up and saw a beacon coming through the trees. It looked like a small sunrise unto itself, probably because I had made the torch by wiring some very absorbent cloth onto a stick and pouring literally a pint of tiki torch fuel into it. I was afraid the three foot ribbon of flame flowing off of it was going to light the trees on fire.

I slept through the actual sunrise despite sleeping open-air in 12 degree weather.