PDA

View Full Version : Contingent Resurrection?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-02, 11:54 AM
Say you're a mystic theurge and some other theurge PrC. Say you have an effective wizard CL of 15 and an effective cleric level of at least 12. Would it be possible, then, to cast contingency, and put a contingent raise dead on yourself, with the conditional "If I die, cast this on me?"

Zaranthan
2012-02-02, 12:03 PM
Certainly. But why would you use raise dead, when the contingency guarantees that you qualify for revivify and it's lovely no-level-loss?

EDIT: I just noticed that revivify is cheaper, too. 1k instead of 5k.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-02, 12:06 PM
I thought revivify was a druid spell? :smallconfused: Though I guess it would still work if you were a druid/wizard instead of a cleric/wizard.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-02-02, 12:09 PM
I thought revivify was a druid spell? :smallconfused: Though I guess it would still work if you were a druid/wizard instead of a cleric/wizard.

Revifity is a cleric spell. You are probably thinking of Last Breath, which is as Reincarnation but with the one round limit.

Mystify
2012-02-02, 12:22 PM
You can, but it might not be a good idea. It means that whatever killed you is still there, and if it killed you once it may be able to do it twice. Revivify is much less risky, as you don't loose a level and its fairly cheap, but contingent resurrection is just asking for an extra level lost.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-02, 12:54 PM
This might be a case where Craft Contingency has more to offer than the spell. Just ressurecting yourself is going to leave you in the same situation that got you killed. Throwing in a contingent teleport as well will up your chances of averting death.

FMArthur
2012-02-02, 01:07 PM
So... Dying safely with crafted contingecies:
Major Image of your body suddenly combusting and burning down to ash, occurring relatively quickly so that there isn't time to mess with it as it happens.
Teleport the body somewhere safe. This happens from beneath the illusory body you made and isn't visible from outside. Hopefully you have baggy enough robes for your illusion to believably cover whatever position you fall into.
Revivify.
Any healing spell.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-02, 01:17 PM
Aand this is why non-casters don't like casters. :smallbiggrin:

Can be countered, of course, but you have to be expecting it.

FMArthur
2012-02-02, 01:23 PM
Just be sure none of those contingencies depend on one another. It would really suck to get held back by Anticipate Teleportation or something on that Revivify!

Campbellk8105
2012-02-02, 01:49 PM
I use contingent revivify. Then have another contingent set so when revivify goes off, the second contingent casts a Heal spell.

Or, nearly the same procedure, contingent resonance, when resonance ends, contingent revivify, contingent Heal.

Ernir
2012-02-02, 02:00 PM
Aand this is why non-casters don't like casters. :smallbiggrin:

Can be countered, of course, but you have to be expecting it.

This is also a benign example of why you don't allow Craft Contingent Spell. :smalleek:

blazingshadow
2012-02-02, 02:00 PM
make the condition: 5 minutes after i die

that way the only way the enemy will be there when you revive is if you are in it's lair/fortress

Tenno Seremel
2012-02-02, 03:23 PM
Alternatively (psionic)…

Get Genesis & use that.
Scribe psionic tattoo: Inducer - Psionic Plane Shift (preferably Elocater's) - relay - Psionic Revivify - relay - Body Adjustment (preferably Psychic Warrior's).
Throw Capacitor, Circuit Breaker and Transducer on top of that.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-02, 03:25 PM
make the condition: 5 minutes after i die

that way the only way the enemy will be there when you revive is if you are in it's lair/fortress

You don't want to delay. Bloody-minded adversaries might utilize ways of preventing you from resurrecting, like turning you undead.

ericgrau
2012-02-02, 03:34 PM
Contingent word of recall (cleric 6) or greater teleport (wizard 7) directly to a friendly NPC cleric's home or your current quest giver's home.

Phosphate
2012-02-02, 03:49 PM
Contingent Dimension Lock

Bam you're dead.

ericgrau
2012-02-02, 04:07 PM
Among other issues, doesn't target the caster. Contingent widened silence OTOH is a nice way for a theurge to keep foes from escaping with teleports, though now you don't have room for a defensive contingency and it doesn't work on SLAs nor Sus.

Hirax
2012-02-02, 04:18 PM
Contingent last breath is a great ad hoc way to be immortal. Stab yourself one year after becoming venerable and suddenly you're in the prime of your youth again.

Tenno Seremel
2012-02-02, 04:25 PM
Contingent Dimension Lock

Bam you're dead.

Allows Spell Resistance so there are ways around that.

Mystify
2012-02-02, 04:26 PM
Contingent last breath is a great ad hoc way to be immortal. Stab yourself one year after becoming venerable and suddenly you're in the prime of your youth again.
And as a caster, you don't care about the physical stats of whatever body you get, and your mind is intact.

ericgrau
2012-02-02, 05:02 PM
Contingent Magic Jar while wearing a few dummy gems in addition to the focus. By the time your foes figure it out (if they figure it out) you'll easily be able to possess a foe and keep fighting. After the fight is over you have a few hours to cast your contingent revivify and attempt to return to your destroyed body. Then, bam, back to life, because you didn't actually die until you attempted to return.

Stegyre
2012-02-02, 06:03 PM
Are we thinking of the same spell? The spell description in Complete Divine says nothing about restoring you to "the prime of your youth." :smallconfused:

Nevermind: I see that the description in Spell Compendium is radically different.

Hirax
2012-02-02, 06:10 PM
Are we thinking of the same spell? The spell description in Complete Divine says nothing about restoring you to "the prime of your youth." :smallconfused:

Nevermind: I see that the description in Spell Compendium is radically different.

Yep, the tricky part is finding a way to cast it if you're not a druid.

Curmudgeon
2012-02-02, 08:29 PM
I don't see that in the spell description. The spell says:
Last breath restores life to a recently deceased creature, creating a new body for the returning spirit to inhabit. Either the body is exactly the same as your old one (just new), or you're a mewling infant (the newest independent body). There's no "young adult" option in the spell.

tyckspoon
2012-02-02, 08:38 PM
I don't see that in the spell description. The spell says: Either the body is exactly the same as your old one (just new), or you're a mewling infant (the newest independent body). There's no "young adult" option in the spell.

"This spell functions like Reincarnate." There's your young adult body.

Mystify
2012-02-02, 08:40 PM
I don't see that in the spell description. The spell says: Either the body is exactly the same as your old one (just new), or you're a mewling infant (the newest independent body). There's no "young adult" option in the spell.

It specifies that it functions like reincarnate, and reincarnate specifies young adult.

Hirax
2012-02-02, 08:40 PM

"This spell functions like reincarnate (PH 270), except that the reincarnated creature receives no level loss, no Constitution loss, and no loss of spells. The creature has –1 hit points (but is stable)."

No part of your quote overwrites the mechanics of reincarnate.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-02, 08:42 PM
Keep reading. A few sentences further on it says "This spell functions like "reincarnate..."

Three ninjas. Ok then...

Hirax
2012-02-02, 08:45 PM
It's also worth pointing out that there are nonsensical ramifications of ruling that last breath doesn't put you in a young adult body. If you're a 600 year old elf and get put in a human body, then are you dead again for being beyond a human's maximum age?

Curmudgeon
2012-02-02, 09:00 PM
That's what I get for starting with the Spell Compendium version, then switching to the Complete Divine version to see what was different (a lot!) and then never finishing reading the Spell Compendium text. I apologize to all of you for my oversight.

Chronos
2012-02-02, 10:24 PM
Yep, the tricky part is finding a way to cast it if you're not a druid.The solution to this is the same as the solution to everything else involving divine spellcasting: Play an Archivist.

Campbellk8105
2012-02-03, 11:42 AM
Or a ring of spell storing

Fitz10019
2012-02-03, 05:06 PM
Although playing a ring of storing would probably be really boring.

TuggyNE
2012-02-03, 08:31 PM
Although playing a ring of storing would probably be really boring.

... This idea intrigues me, and I wish to hear more. :smallamused:

Viktyr Gehrig
2012-02-03, 10:50 PM
Standard plan? Contingent revivify (death) plus contingent heal and vigor (permanently resurrected).

Backup plan? Contingent revenance (dead for more than six seconds) plus breath of life and heal (revenance expires).

Long term plan? Contingent last breath (die of old age) plus mass cure light wounds and limited wish (reincarnated).

Of course, I usually bend over backwards to play arcane healers.

Mystify
2012-02-03, 11:03 PM
... This idea intrigues me, and I wish to hear more. :smallamused:

Sandwich trick into a ring of storing.

Curmudgeon
2012-02-04, 12:40 PM
Sandwich trick into a ring of storing.
If you're thinking to use Polymorph Any Object on anything twice, note that there's no exception to the stacking rules for that spell. Casting PAO twice gives you exactly the same result as casting it once, including the duration calculation.

Mystify
2012-02-04, 12:59 PM
If you're thinking to use Polymorph Any Object on anything twice, note that there's no exception to the stacking rules for that spell. Casting PAO twice gives you exactly the same result as casting it once, including the duration calculation.

What does that have to do with anything?

Curmudgeon
2012-02-04, 02:10 PM
What does that have to do with anything?
The Psionic version of the Sandwich Trick starts with the desired finished form, which is transformed via Polymorph Any Object into an animal. That won't work because of this proviso of the spell:
Target: One creature, or one nonmagical object of up to 100 cu. ft./level You can't transform a Ring of Spell Storing because it's a magic object.

An alternate version of the Sandwich Trick uses Polymorph Any Object twice, under the (incorrect) assumption that that would alter the duration to Permanent. This would allow transforming a creature into a ring, and then adding the magical properties later. Since the original version of the Sandwich Trick is a complete non-starter, I thought you might be referring to this other approach.

So, what process were you actually referring to?

Mystify
2012-02-04, 03:02 PM
The Psionic version of the Sandwich Trick starts with the desired finished form, which is transformed via Polymorph Any Object into an animal. That won't work because of this proviso of the spell: You can't transform a Ring of Spell Storing because it's a magic object.

An alternate version of the Sandwich Trick uses Polymorph Any Object twice, under the (incorrect) assumption that that would alter the duration to Permanent. This would allow transforming a creature into a ring, and then adding the magical properties later. Since the original version of the Sandwich Trick is a complete non-starter, I thought you might be referring to this other approach.

So, what process were you actually referring to?
sandwich trick into a normal ring, then have it enchanted with spell storing.