PDA

View Full Version : Posthumously

Fish
2012-02-02, 03:42 PM
Malack has sworn to kill Durkon. But here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) Durkon informs Malack that only honorable dwarves killed in battle go to their reward. Those who die of sickness are sent to Hel, keeper of the dishonored dead.

What do you suppose that means for Durkon?

leakingpen
2012-02-02, 04:14 PM
That he will be infected with a magical plague, and sent by zykon to the dwarven homeland as a typhoid durkon in order to wipe out the dwarves while he searches for a new hole in reality

Math_Mage
2012-02-02, 04:19 PM
Uh...nothing?

Malack didn't swear to send him to Hel. He didn't even swear to kill Durkon, only to 'deal with the dwarf himself'. If Durkon dies in combat against Malack (or anyone else), he will end up where he belongs: in the LG afterlife. If Durkon doesn't die, he remains on the Material Plane. I can't see that there's any more to it than that.

Yendor
2012-02-02, 04:32 PM
Yes, Malack said nothing of the sort. He was definitely making sure nobody else killed Durkon.

BlackestOfMages
2012-02-02, 04:38 PM
ummmm, there's also the fact is Malak kills him he'll be, y'know, post-humerous since he'll be dead. :smalltongue: where he soul ends up has no bearing on the fact he died.

Psyren
2012-02-02, 05:22 PM
Even if he does decide to kill Durkon, I doubt he'll do it by sneezing on him, so I think Durkon's soul is in good shape regardless. (Barring the Snarl anyway.)

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-02, 05:48 PM
Malack has sworn to kill Durkon. But here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) Durkon informs Malack that only honorable dwarves killed in battle go to their reward. Those who die of sickness are sent to Hel, keeper of the dishonored dead.

You have posted two unrelated facts, one of which is false. I can draw no reasonable conclusions from this evidence.

Themrys
2012-02-02, 05:53 PM
Malack has no reason at all to want Durkon to go to Hel(l). Where do you even get that idea?
He even explicitly said he considers Durkon an honourable opponent. He will do everything to ensure that Durkon either survives or dies an honourable death in battle.

Malack has sworn to kill Nale. And I somehow doubt he has changed his plans. He has a good reason to want Nale dead, after all.

There could, however, arise a situation where Durkon has caught a disease and Malack kills him in battle to ensure he does not die in bed. That is the only possible consquence Malack's new knowledge could have.

Fish
2012-02-02, 06:06 PM
You have posted two unrelated facts, one of which is false. I can draw no reasonable conclusions from this evidence.
All right, Malack [edit: damn autocorrect!] has sworn to "take care of" Durkon. In light of their conversation, what do you expect that means? Durkon says he must die in combat, but I suspect he won't fight Malack.

NerfTW
2012-02-02, 06:39 PM
All right, Malaclypse has sworn to "take care of" Durkon. In light of their conversation, what do you expect that means? Durkon says he must die in combat, but I suspect he won't fight Malack.

Then Malack won't kill him. Malack hasn't sworn to kill Durkon. He's only asked that he be allowed to deal with him, since they're friends. He only has to stop or incapacitate Durkon while the Linear Guild takes over the gate. If Durkon won't fight him, then that means Durkon is essentially defenseless and can be subdued without killing.

There is no reason whatsoever, and it would go against the character, for Malack to attempt to cause Durkon MORE pain in death than is needed. If required, I would expect Malack is going to use non lethal methods to subdue him.

ti'esar
2012-02-02, 06:53 PM

Absolutely nothing. Durkon is fairly likely to die soon, though I doubt it would be at Malack's hands (claws?), but as he'd die honorably in battle, this doesn't seem particularly relevant.

theNater
2012-02-02, 07:28 PM
Then Malack won't kill him. Malack hasn't sworn to kill Durkon. He's only asked that he be allowed to deal with him, since they're friends. He only has to stop or incapacitate Durkon while the Linear Guild takes over the gate. If Durkon won't fight him, then that means Durkon is essentially defenseless and can be subdued without killing.

There is no reason whatsoever, and it would go against the character, for Malack to attempt to cause Durkon MORE pain in death than is needed. If required, I would expect Malack is going to use non lethal methods to subdue him.
Malack could even subdue Durkon by asking him for help with a tricky theological question. He then suggests that they head to another room(or even Plane Shift to another plane), where they can discuss without being distracted by the others(or overhearing the fight that Malack knows is about to take place) and converse. No violence required.

rewinn
2012-02-02, 07:30 PM

You must be new to these boards :smallwink:

Bulldog Psion
2012-02-02, 07:33 PM
I sincerely doubt Malack intends to kill Durkon. In fact, "deal with the dwarf myself" looks to me like a deliberate effort on his part to keep Durkon alive.

So, I'm not sure of the reason for the dramatics about "swearing" to kill Durkon, since said incident is completely absent from the comic. :smallsigh:

Goosefeather
2012-02-02, 07:42 PM
ummmm, there's also the fact is Malak kills him he'll be, y'know, post-humerous since he'll be dead. :smalltongue: where he soul ends up has no bearing on the fact he died.

Post-humorous, eh? I'd have thought that death in this universe doesn't necessarily restrict one's comedic potential - see Roy, for example :smalltongue:

dps
2012-02-02, 10:10 PM

Lol. Mind if I put that in my signature?

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-02, 10:41 PM

You must be new to these boards :smallwink:

I'm not. The key word in my statement was reasonable. I have no doubt of the number of unreasonable conclusions this forum is capable of producing.

Lol. Mind if I put that in my signature?

Go ahead. :smallsmile:

mucco
2012-02-03, 06:16 AM
Also, Malack totally bluffed Tarquin and is planning to side with Durkon. His children > all else and Tarquin was disrespectful.

The Succubus
2012-02-03, 06:23 AM
So the time after the comic finishes will be "post-humorous?"

Omergideon
2012-02-03, 07:59 AM
I thought Malack wanted to deal with Durkon because, deception aside, Durkon deserved it for respect sake.

One sec....

*rereads Strip

Yep, he does it cos, I quote "he deserves that honour"

Methinks Malack will not be harming anyones soul anytime soon

Fish
2012-02-03, 02:31 PM
I wonder, then, why Rich goes to great length to tell us about Dwarven death customs? And why Durkon tells Malack?

Omergideon
2012-02-03, 05:12 PM
Well the dwarves in this setting, Durkon in particular, have the sparsest characterisation of almost any of the main characters. This gives him a chance to share a bit more of it, plus if you bond with a priest of a Death Goddess there are likely few better topics to bring up.

AutomatedTeller
2012-02-03, 05:32 PM
Belkar is going to die soon. We have no knowledge of how long it will be until Durkon dies, only that he won't return to his homeland before he dies.

I'd guess that Malack doesn't plan on killing Durkon, but I don't know that. Could be that he is and he just said it that way. Not everyone parses their language as precisely as Tarquin Clinton.

Psyren
2012-02-03, 05:46 PM
I wonder, then, why Rich goes to great length to tell us about Dwarven death customs? And why Durkon tells Malack?

Because Durkon is going to die sometime before he goes home. Whether that means Malack will kill him is another story entirely.

ti'esar
2012-02-03, 05:59 PM
Belkar is going to die soon. We have no knowledge of how long it will be until Durkon dies, only that he won't return to his homeland before he dies.

The reason I believe Durkon is going to die soon is that Kraagor's Gate - presumably where our heroes will head after the end of this arc - is implied to be located in the dwarven lands.

And to be honest, since I expect he'll be raised eventually, there's a part of me that is actually hoping Durkon's prophecy comes true - Roy's death was some good character development for him (and how many other stories would that sentence make sense for?), and of all the Order Durkon is the one who most needs some character development right now.

Math_Mage
2012-02-03, 06:42 PM
The reason I believe Durkon is going to die soon is that Kraagor's Gate - presumably where our heroes will head after the end of this arc - is implied to be located in the dwarven lands.

And to be honest, since I expect he'll be raised eventually, there's a part of me that is actually hoping Durkon's prophecy comes true - Roy's death was some good character development for him (and how many other stories would that sentence make sense for?), and of all the Order Durkon is the one who most needs some character development right now.

I find it highly unlikely that we'll get a significant Durkon Afterlife arc if he dies.

OOTSWiki says Kraagor's Gate lies near the northern polar ice cap. I don't know where they get that source, or whether that means it's in dwarven lands.

ti'esar
2012-02-03, 06:45 PM
I find it highly unlikely that we'll get a significant Durkon Afterlife arc if he dies.

Why not? It strikes me as more likely then the Belkar one everyone seems to be expecting.

Math_Mage
2012-02-03, 06:48 PM
Why not? It strikes me as more likely then the Belkar one everyone seems to be expecting.

I don't expect that one either, so...yeah.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-03, 07:29 PM
I think the reasons Belkar Afterlife is more popular than Durkon Afterlife are a) Rich expressed interest in showing a "Belkar in one of the Lower Planes" arc in NCftPB's commentary, b) there's a major villainous group in the Lower Planes, so more potential for plot interactions with Belkar than Durkon, and c) Belkar gets a lot more screentime than Durkon anyway.

Kish
2012-02-04, 07:51 AM
You're assuming that conversation exists for a reason beyond the ones apparent from the strip where it appears. I don't think that's justified.

Goosefeather
2012-02-04, 08:53 AM

OOTSWiki says Kraagor's Gate lies near the northern polar ice cap. I don't know where they get that source, or whether that means it's in dwarven lands.

I guess they're deducing it from the landscape (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html)?