PDA

View Full Version : Devestating Weapon?

Snowbluff
2012-02-02, 05:16 PM
So, is there an enchantment for larger crit die on a weapon, and what is the source material for it?

Gotterdammerung
2012-02-02, 05:31 PM
So, is there an enchantment for larger crit die on a weapon, and what is the source material for it?

maiming used to do that, but it got reprinted. I forget where the original was located. But it used to make x2 change to 1d4, x3 change to 1d6 and x4 change to 1d8.

it was useful on a great falchion with improved crit or keen. 15-20 crit range with 1d4 crit mod.
25% chance to do less than normal crit damage
25% chance to do normal crit dmg
50% chance to do more than normal crit damage

I forget exactly how the reprint nerfed it. I tend to erase sections from my brain once they are nerfed. I stamp them with "nerfed" and close the file.

NOhara24
2012-02-02, 07:27 PM
Focus on doing more damage on a regular hit vs. more critical hit damage.

Take your weapon, make it bigger, make it out of platinum/gold, buy strongarm bracers, go to town.

kardar233
2012-02-03, 01:53 AM
There are plenty of situations when you want to be focusing on crit damage. For example, when you're an Archivist gish wielding a Kaorti Resin Falchion persisting Hero's Blade.

Thurbane
2012-02-03, 02:56 AM
maiming used to do that, but it got reprinted. I forget where the original was located. But it used to make x2 change to 1d4, x3 change to 1d6 and x4 change to 1d8.

it was useful on a great falchion with improved crit or keen. 15-20 crit range with 1d4 crit mod.
25% chance to do less than normal crit damage
25% chance to do normal crit dmg
50% chance to do more than normal crit damage

I forget exactly how the reprint nerfed it. I tend to erase sections from my brain once they are nerfed. I stamp them with "nerfed" and close the file.
The original, as you have quoted, appeared in the Miniatures Handbook.

The heavily nerfed version is in the Magic Item Compendium, so that a weapon with x2 crit multiplier gets +1d6 damage on a crit, x3 gets +2d6 and x4 gets +3d6. Not even worth taking as a +1 equivalent any more. If you're hitting with a x4 critical, an extra 3d6 damage are hardly likely to make a significant difference.