PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS] blind archer help.

harkle1876
2012-02-02, 05:24 PM
This character is not for any campaign, I just wanted to make it for fun. So, here is the scoop, using the Dungeon Fantasy set, I came up with a 250 point scout with the 50 point druid addition. The druidic familiar will be a snake that would stay on him, probably around the neck, thus allowing the archer to see through the snakes eyes(through the shared sight template for the archer). Can I use a druidic familiar with shared sight to aim a bow?

Gengulphus
2012-02-03, 03:27 AM
I don't see any reason why not. Shared Sight uses the Mind Reading advantage with the Sensory Only limitation, which can be maintained indefinitely without concentration. You'd be free to use your action on the archery. Just remember to start the link when you wake up every morning, so you don't have to waste an action on it in combat! Oh, you might also want to spring for Shared Thoughts, to make sure you can keep your snake pointed in the right direction.

That having been said, if I were your GM, I'd certainly apply a fairly significant penalty to your bow skill -- probably -3 or -4, about half the Blindness penalty -- and make a hard technique (Snake-Eye Archery or some such) to let you buy it back up.

Hope this helps!

Cybren
2012-02-03, 03:31 AM
Well if you wind up somehow mitigating blindness to not actually cripple a combat character, i'd probably make you take a -80% mitigating limitation on the disadvantage. For dugeon fantasy i'd call "Cool Zatoichi Blindness" a perk that gives you bonuses to intimidation in limited circumstances or something

Gengulphus
2012-02-03, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say a mitigator is needed, especially not one that's even harsher than glasses for Bad Sight. You can explicitly take Scanning Sense with Blindness at their normal point values and this seems to be an extension of that same basic principle. He's already paying a hefty chunk of points to have the familiar act in the way it does and he'd be at a severe disadvantage should his familiar be knocked out or killed or otherwise neutralized.