PDA

View Full Version : New Setting & Gaming System Idea - World As Will

Maralais
2012-02-02, 07:36 PM
So I was just trying to make up a random campaign world to play a one-shot game, then I had this interesting idea. It started something like this:

This Universe is quite similar to ours... Except it doesn't have metaphysical theories, for the substance underlying all of Creation is well known: Will. It was with Will that the Universe created itself, it was with Will that Planets were formed, with Will that life began and with Will, that creatures advanced.

So basically, wishing something to be the way you want it is enough to make it so in this universe, if your Will happens to be powerful enough. Of course, there are limitations.

So What is Will?

Here, Will is used with the exact meaning that Schopenhauer uses it, as a human's most familiar designation for the concept that can also be signified by other words such as "desire," "striving," "wanting," "effort," and "urging.". It is an energy that touches the very fabric of the Universe itself, and bends it, sometimes breaks it. There are several levels of Will, and the higher level one's Will is, the more he is capable of.
0: No posession of will whatsoever, inanimate, lifeless.
1: Simply capable of existing, the level a normal human in our universe would have if he was living on this one.
2: The point where one surpasses being a simple human, does acts that seem impossible, but not too much. A man surviving a rather long fall or staying alive after deadly wounds could be included here. Laws of physics are still intact.
3: The breaking point of reality, it is obvious that someone of this level is beyond the laws of physics, yet he either isn't capable enough to break them completely, or doesn't know he can.
4: This is the point where one starts to bend the Universe to his will. He is capable of many feats, most of them unbelievable, but there are still things that block him.
5: This is the point where the laws of physics go cry in a corner. It is the superhero level, the level where the only things limiting one's capability are the presence of a higher Will, or the limit of one's knowledge.
6: This is the God level, where one can create whole planets by just wishing so.
7: Advanced God(yes, a nod to Douglas Adams), the Will of the Universe itself, omnipotent and omniscient.

The allotment into these levels are determined by some factors: One's actual power in terms of Will, one's self-confidence that what he wishes is in fact possible and whether another one's Will is trying to stop him or not. If there is in fact someone trying to stop someone else shaping the Universe, their wills clash: In terms of game mechanics, they make an Opposed Will Check, which is basically [level of Will]d6+appropriate modifiers vs [level of Will]d6+appropriate modifiers. As you can guess, I haven't decided on all the modifiers for now.

The Main Classes

Of course, Will is present in the most advanced lifeforms on the planet where our stories are told as well. In fact, they have found two ways of using it to shape the Creation itself.

First, is the Way of the Inspirationists. They shape the world with their raw imagination, and only need to imagine something thoroughly to create it. Of course, this applies to higher levels, which is rather hard to reach.

The way this applies to the game mechanics is this:
Those who possess a level 3 Will can create anything, if they have the appropriate materials(think of the equivalent exchange in Fullmetal Alchemist, except this time no circles) and some starting point. For example, a character wants to create a powerful wind, they at first need some sort of wind to find inspiration(however small it is), and if they want to create a sword, they need enough metal and some sort of an inspiration for the sword, be it a part of a broken sword, an actual sword nearby or a modal of a sword. This is of course subject to DM's judgement. This power is unlimited.

Those who posess a level 4 Will neither need a starting point nor appropriate items. They must not exceed their own weight and volume though, and they can't create too big or microscopic things. For example, they cannot create cells because they do not posess the knowledge of cells, nor can they make a building out of thin air, it is too big for them. They get tired and need a rest after creating too much this way.

Level 5 Will is identical to level 4, except you can create ten times your weight and volume, and you can do this indefinitely.

Level 6 is limitless.

Second is the Logicists, they do not create with their imagination, but they fool the logic itself into bending to their will. Their way is much easier in terms of creativity compared to the Inspirationists, but it is much more limited.

The Logicists go from the idea that the Universe is what we think it is, and abuse this idea. They use false axioms and logical fallacies to prove that something impossible is in fact, impossible, and making it so via their Will. So Logicist could say that the Universe is merely what is interpreted by our senses, and use this axiom to prove that what they cannot see, hear, or feel doesn't exist, thus destroying said thing, say, an enemy that is trying to kill them. Of course, using this technique this way is possible only for the best.

Actually, I don't know how exactly I can allocate the abilities of this class to different levels of Will. Some help would be appriciated.

It goes without saying that level 1 and 2 are too weak to use these powers, and level 6 and beyond is just game-breaking.

The world I have in mind is world where no person higher than level 5 has ever existed, though there are many level 4s(And "leveling up" is almost nonexistant, as increasing one's Willpower so greatly requires an epic event), so there is a power struggle between different organizations to stay alive, and there is no solid government. Though I still need much to flesh this idea out, also a proper gaming system.

motoko's ghost
2012-02-02, 07:54 PM
Well what sort of gaming system are you looking for for this?
Point-buy or class levels? what are the major species? What else can "will" do?

Maralais
2012-02-02, 08:02 PM
I think a point-buy system would be more accurate, because leveling up, a style mostly associated with class-based systems doesn't seem to fit here.

I have thought so far for only one race: Humans. It will expand for sure in time, but humans(or a race looking like humans) is most certainly the most common race in the planet. Other races might be different "mutations" of humans.

motoko's ghost
2012-02-02, 08:13 PM
So the Inspirationists are like transmutations and conjurations while Logicists are more like corporeal illusions?
Would the pointbuy be buying stats,skills,different aspects of their will powers?
How would the stats/skill system work in this? How do the will-powers work?

Maralais
2012-02-02, 09:25 PM
Actually what I'd want is a very, very loose system, because the setting being centered around doing anything you want with your Will, defining what Will can and can't do in rigid rules(making them similar to spells, for example) would pretty kill that feeling. As for the stats, perhaps adding another element to the metaphysics of the universe and saying that something can be either ideal(not in terms of being the best, but belonging to the world of ideas) or physical. This would allow to make two main stats: Physical Prowess and Ideal Prowess. As for skills, I'm not sure about what I want, but the skills system in D&D is certainly not what I want.

Also, Logicists seem to affect what already exists, while Inspirationists add something new to it(though by definition they could affect what already exists as well, so that could disrupt the in-game balance). Yet Logicists don't create illusions in no way. The changes they make in the universe are just as real as a sword an Inspirationist would create.

Unless, they affect somebody's senses, then I guess you could call what they do an illusion.

motoko's ghost
2012-02-02, 10:19 PM
Actually what I'd want is a very, very loose system, because the setting being centered around doing anything you want with your Will, defining what Will can and can't do in rigid rules(making them similar to spells, for example) would pretty kill that feeling. As for the stats, perhaps adding another element to the metaphysics of the universe and saying that something can be either ideal(not in terms of being the best, but belonging to the world of ideas) or physical. This would allow to make two main stats: Physical Prowess and Ideal Prowess. As for skills, I'm not sure about what I want, but the skills system in D&D is certainly not what I want.

Also, Logicists seem to affect what already exists, while Inspirationists add something new to it(though by definition they could affect what already exists as well, so that could disrupt the in-game balance). Yet Logicists don't create illusions in no way. The changes they make in the universe are just as real as a sword an Inspirationist would create.

Unless, they affect somebody's senses, then I guess you could call what they do an illusion.

Something similar to BESM?(loose guidelines to what the limits are(to stop things from getting overly ridiculous), but much less "pinned down" that what D&D's got as well as several customising mechanics for each power, some of which are deliberately vague)

Silly mortal, reality itself is a mere illusion, what I do is realise that and bend the illusion to my will.:smalltongue:

arkham618
2012-02-04, 01:21 AM
FATE (http://www.faterpg.com/) would be a good system for this, with characters defined entirely by their Aspects (http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html#id9) and Skills (http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html#id11), and Fate Points (http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html#fate-points) serving as quanta of Will that are spent to influence probability, fuel uncanny powers, and/or gain (temporary) narrative control.

AnarchistMuffin
2012-02-04, 09:22 AM
Reminds of the description of the Outer Planes in the Planescape setting - everything runs on belief cutter!