PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 copying humanity from dark souls would it work?

slaydemons
2012-02-02, 09:10 PM
So I recently read a thread complaining about fifteen minute days all I could think about was one part, where one person said his group were just resting in a room the just killed everything.

This made me think of an idea humanity from dark soul you can use them to augment a bonfire and it becomes a better place to rest. Sould I do this in a dungeon but call it something else like?

If you don't use a humanity / whatever I call it, you can't rest in the room. Seems like a fair trade off to me what about you guys?

HunterOfJello
2012-02-02, 09:24 PM
I wish I had even the vaguest sense of what you're talking about. Could you please attempt to either fix up the grammar of your post or describe to us what a 'humanity' is?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-02, 09:28 PM
Slaydemon's grammar problems aren't exclusive to this thread. At least now he's using commas.

Anyway, I think the deal already is that you can't take more than one rest per day (well, 16 hours). Although that might just be 4e.

...So how many humanities do you get anyway?

Pokonic
2012-02-02, 09:38 PM
....You know, if someone knows what he is trying to get across without having grammer skills that makes google translate look fine, please do. I do wish to help, but I cannot tell what he is saying. At all.:smallsigh:

Namfuak
2012-02-02, 10:08 PM
Dark Souls is a video game. It's a fantasy game, and throughout the "dungeons" (although it's all open world, it's hard to explain) there are "bonfires" (literally fires) that you can rest at to restore your health (doing so also respawns creatures, but presumably in his idea it wouldn't do this). "Humanity" is a sort of currency, one use of which is to "kindle" bonfires, which gives you benefits for resting there (in the game, it's extra potions, but I think the OP is saying you would need to kindle the bonfire to rest there at all).

On the issue of rest points in dungeons, I've always thought that would be a good idea if you wanted to have a really long dungeon, like Tomb of Horrors or something like that. That way, you don't run into the issue of character healing, since characters can simply rest at one of these safe rooms to restore their health and spells, placed presumably after bosses in the dungeon. In the game, you can also sort of bank items at these bonfires, which could be a useful feature in long dungeon crawls as well if you worry about weight, although most adventurers who would be in a place like this in the first place would probably have bags of holding and the like, so that might not be so useful. I don't know how humanity itself would play into it - possibly allowing the characters to buy more consumable items from the bonfire?

EDIT: Might I add that the OP might not speak English as a first language (Dark Souls is very popular in Japan), and insulting him for using poor grammar may be slightly out of line?

slaydemons
2012-02-03, 01:30 PM
EDIT: Might I add that the OP might not speak English as a first language (Dark Souls is very popular in Japan), and insulting him for using poor grammar may be slightly out of line?

No, I simply have the worst grammar known to man. As for the other questions here goes.

Humanity is an item in the game Dark Souls that, as namfuak has said, lets you rest at certain points. Another thing Dark Souls did is when you rested at bonfires the game respawned all the monsters. And you get humanity like random loot you also get it from bosses.

As for the other nonsensical garbage I simply was reading a thread about fifteen minute days in D&D and I was referring to a post in it. Also sorry for my head splitting grammar, I tend to read things too fast in my head and it makes sense to me, but to no one else it seems.

And now the main point of what I said at the start. I wanted to introduce an item that allows my players to rest at a dungeon but not anywhere they want(I.E five feet away from the last room with a boss monster in it). does that make anymore sense?

please forgive me if you don't know what I mean by respawning means I don't know how to explain it.