PDA

View Full Version : My Dwarves - Unusual Architecture Needed

Roxxy
2012-02-02, 09:26 PM
The Dwarves are a very clever and hard working race, known for both their work ethic and their ability to come up with inventive solutions to problems.

Physical description

Dwarves stand, on average, about 5 and a quarter feet tall, and are built along much the same lines as most other humans. They take great pride in their appearances and hygiene, being fastidious groomers and frequent bathers. They have a tendency to prefer long hair, and many males wear long beards, often braided, but this is not universal. They tend to be light skinned, with and their natural hair colors are usually shades of grey, including white or black, or metallic colors. Their irises are usually metallic colors or dark grey.

Environment

Dwarves live in two main environments: mountains and underground caves. Mountain dwarves tend to either live in burrows or cities carved out of caverns that are fairly close to the surface, while cave dwarves usually live in cities located in caverns deeper underground than mountain dwarf settlements. Cave dwarves rarely live in high elevation areas, while mountain dwarves almost always do live in such areas.

Both mountain and cave dwarves are known for working stone, metal, and wood. Mountain dwarves are also known for mining. Cave dwarves also mine, but they don't get quite as much ore out of their environment as mountain dwarves. Mountain dwarves do a lot of above ground farming, which provides the bulk of their food supply, and, while they usually live underground, they spend a lot of time above ground. They tend to locate near mountain streams for the water supply they provide.

Cave dwarves usually don't live in the mountains, preferring deep underground caverns in low altitude areas. They usually settle very close to underground lakes or rivers. They mostly live off of funguses and whatever other plants they can cultivate, whatever underground animals they can catch or raise, seafood, and the bodies of their dead. Mountain dwarves and other human races often find this practice rather repulsive, but cave dwarves view it in a positive light. To them, it is a better fate to be used to nourish one's family and friends after death than to have their remains dumped in a hole and covered up.

Society

Dwarves tend to be monarchial, but they prefer constitutional monarchies over absolute monarchies. They appreciate a leader with the power to do what needs to be done, but dislike rules who can do whatever they want without challenge. Dwarven societies have been known to descend into tyranny, which just reinforces their preference for an enforced constitution. Most Dwarven governments are large confederations of allied city-states, each with it's own monarch who answers to a confederate leader usually elected by the monarchs or their parliaments. They tend to be politically and socially conservative, seeing little reason to change what works.

Dwarven society is generally fairly lawful, and they are usually fairly appreciative of their governments, though crime is not at all unheard of and corruption is often a problem. They respond to this with strict judgment of criminals meant to dissuade others from repeating their mistakes and turn criminals into law abiding individuals, prefer a period of labor over prison sentences or fines, and tend to like the idea of punishments fitting the crime when this is practical. They aren't very fond of the death penalty (aside from the occasional tyrant), as most see having to use it as a failure of society, but they do use it when they feel it is necessary. They just don't take much pleasure in it, seeing it as something unpleasant and unfortunate, but necessary for public safety.

Dwarves have a very hard work ethic, with a love of working stone, metal, wood, and gems. When it comes to art, they favor sculpting and carving a great deal. They generally have healthy senses of humor, and enjoy music, dancing, and alcohol. They put a very large amount of importance on family and close friends, and are very loyal. They generally aren't particularly religious, putting more faith in their leaders, family, and friends than they do in the gods. Dwarves can be intolerant of those different from them and hesitant to change when necessary do to their conservative bent. They place a lot of importance on family, and can be rather unpleasant to those from families with poor reputations, born out of wedlock, or without much of a family at all.

Dwarves have an great appreciation of technology and science, and are responsible for a large number of technological and scientific innovations. They see a massive array of possibilities in the study of wizardry, and many eagerly take to it. They are also very serious about their defense, and generally have a large force of well trained soldiers available. They tend to prefer roles that require training, education, and professionalism. It is not unusual for a dwarf to leave the mountains or caves for the lands of other human races, where their skills and professionalism are prized assets. There are a very large number of dwarven mercenaries, scientists, engineers, and magicians living among other human races.

Mountain dwarves do not always live in cold, forlorn peaks. Some do, but dwarves are often found in places like this (http://www.cruzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/036-china.jpg), this (http://www.cruzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/037-china.jpg), this (http://www.cruzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/038-china.jpg), this (http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1573048298580&id=3542977c2bb11aac337d24bed91d73ee), this (http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoTHXQytPchoA9eyJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cn MybzJvBHNsawNpbWc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dgorgeous%2Bmountains%26n%3D30%26e i%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26fr%3Dflo2%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D 113&w=1024&h=768&imgurl=i1143.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn636%2Fphi llysdesigns%2Flarge%2Fmountains%2Fmountain25.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phillysdesigns2.com%2Ffullpa ge%2Flargemountainpage.htm&size=136.2+KB&name=Gorgeous+Mountains&p=gorgeous+mountains&oid=a218339a08e16b7e6f68d085f33b2e8b&fr2=&fr=flo2&tt=Gorgeous%2BMountains&b=91&ni=128&no=113&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=11tubud89&sigb=13j9lknja&sigi=12fomq5vh&.crumb=NJc2SjDonbL), or this (http://cache.virtualtourist.com/15/716484-the_stratification_on_these_mountains_is_gorgeous_ Big_Bend_National_Park.jpg).

Do you like it? Any suggestions for a couple twists on traditional dwarves I could add?

bobthe6th
2012-02-02, 10:15 PM
Might be fun to add some twists about them preferring hammers to axes... with a designated hammerer as executioner...

also, having them be an athletic race could be really fun. shake the old "dwarves are slow and broad" stereotype.

Roxxy
2012-02-03, 01:47 AM
I've determined that the primary melee weapons of the dwarves are polearms. Cave dwarves also have swords and hammers as secondary or alternative weapons, while mountain dwarves carry axes, swords, and hammers for the same purpose.

Gemstone eye colors are a common feature among dwarves.

Eldest
2012-02-03, 08:16 AM
You forgot to bold the section titles, I'll have more review once I read it further.

Roxxy
2012-02-03, 12:07 PM
Might be fun to add some twists about them preferring hammers to axes... with a designated hammerer as executioner...Cave dwarves prefer hammers, mountain dwarves prefer axes. Both cave and mountain dwarves use swords as well.

The favorite weapons of the dwarves, however, are polearms. They use them more than they use hammers, axes, or swords, because in the close confines of an underground cavern a polearm can effectively put an enemy in a situation where they can't advance on the dwarves without getting hit. Image a bunch of reach weapons in a small tunnel. You can't get around them, you have to go at them. Go at them, however, and they can stab you before you get into melee range. That's why polearms are favored more than any other weapons by dwarves.

Eldest
2012-02-03, 02:31 PM
Ok, I read through, and it seems good, if a bit short. You might want to talk about race relations and some more details about the typical dwarven country.

Roxxy
2012-02-07, 12:24 PM
Ok, I read through, and it seems good, if a bit short. You might want to talk about race relations and some more details about the typical dwarven country.What details are you most curious about?

Roxxy
2012-02-07, 12:27 PM
I've come up with two dwarven subraces: tree dwarves and sea dwarves. I see dwarves as technological and architectural experts, but they don't necessarily have to live solely underground. Tree dwarves live in cities suspended in high treetops, and many tree dwarves never set foot on the ground, living their entire lives in these treetop cities. Sea dwarves live on massive ships that were built as floating cities, and many of them never step foot on shore.

Basically, I see dwarves as a race of architects that have no desire to live in homes built on solid ground like every other race does. They love building more unique and difficult cities. This often means the classic underground communities, as with cave and, to a lesser degree, mountain dwarves (who live both on the surface and underground), but it doesn't have to. It can just as easily mean cities suspended between hundreds of trees or giant ships that are basically floating cities.

Any ideas for other subraces that could be created along this theme of unusual architecture?

Eldest
2012-02-07, 05:40 PM
Race relations in the manor of which races they like, don't like, and why. Also, you talked about what the culture generally is like, but some more about what they value and some quirks of the governments would be nice. For example, how are cities divided?

And honestly, the two sub-races you have are good. Maybe one in the frozen areas of the land, who make their cities out of ice? I'm assuming this is for a campaign, because you need to leave things for other races to have. For example, you could have a nomadic race that wanders, and their most famous city is mobile, a group of caravans who pitch their tents at various waterholes in the desert. I wouldn't have that be a solely dwarf thing, though, because there are only so many original ideas.

Roxxy
2012-02-07, 06:39 PM
I have 8 human races in my campaign setting. Of these races, Dwarves are the only one to frequently form their own countries. The other seven races generally live in racially mixed countries, usually politically dominated by either Elves or Magni, though isolated communities of primarily one race are very common. They just aren't independent nations. All eight human races can be found in the majority of environments (both urban and wilderness) with the exception of Dwarves, who generally live in architecturally difficult cities.

Dwarves fit the role of archaeological and technological experts, and can usually be found in difficult to build cities, such as underground, suspended from trees, on giant ships, and so on.

Magni are the most common race, and look like Homo Sapiens. They are very difficult to generalize about, as they have a lot more cultural diversity than other human races.

Elves are the oldest human race, as well as the most aristocratic, with a long, proud history. In this world, they are the only race to maintain many elements of feudalism or chivalry. Many see them as tyrannical elitist bastards, and a very large and vocal minority of elves do act like this, but the majority of elves aren't necessarily bad people.

Wildkin (Pathfinder Bestiary 3 Catfolk and associated races) are a proud warrior race, who were originally primitive hunter gatherers before being enslaved by elves for use as soldiers. They have long since been freed from their bonds, ad the past several generations have lived among other human races as a free and proud people.

Divni are humans who need to drink blood as part of their diet. They are not vampires, though there are certainly a lot of similarities, and vampires hold a major place in their folklore. Do to the whole blood thing they have strained relations with other human races, and tend to form small insular communities within larger communities of other human races.

Changeling are humans kidnapped and enslaved by fey who later escaped, carrying a trace of fey magic.

Planetouched are humans with planar influence on their blood, such as Aasimar, Tieflings, and elemental planetouched.

Hybrids are crossbreeds between the races listed above.

The last three races have small populations and no unified culture.

Roxxy
2012-02-07, 06:43 PM
Race relations in the manor of which races they like, don't like, and why. Also, you talked about what the culture generally is like, but some more about what they value and some quirks of the governments would be nice. For example, how are cities divided?I'll think on these issues and get back here with my decisions. One thing to note is that Dwarves are the only human race with their own independent nations. Other races live in multiracial nations. So it's more "how Dwarves interact with non-Dwarves" than how they interact with individual races.

And honestly, the two sub-races you have are good. Maybe one in the frozen areas of the land, who make their cities out of ice? I'm assuming this is for a campaign, because you need to leave things for other races to have. For example, you could have a nomadic race that wanders, and their most famous city is mobile, a group of caravans who pitch their tents at various waterholes in the desert. I wouldn't have that be a solely dwarf thing, though, because there are only so many original ideas.I don't tweak individual races to specific environments, except for Dwarves. The nomads You are thinking of could be covered with any of the human races except possibly Dwarves instead of being their own race.

Icedaemon
2012-02-08, 03:02 AM
I've determined that the primary melee weapons of the dwarves are polearms. Cave dwarves also have swords and hammers as secondary or alternative weapons, while mountain dwarves carry axes, swords, and hammers for the same purpose.

All in all, your mountain dwarves are similar to how I generally design dwarven nations.

Polearms being usual warfare weapons only makes sense, as they can generally defend mountain passes without fear of being outflanked. Axes and hammers are useful secondary weapons, but at least in part because they also function as tools with more than one use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_axe).

Their cities (http://www.cappadociaturkey.net/zelve.htm), towns and fortresses (See Kizlar monastery) (http://www.randomrambler.com/travel/goreme-valley-cappadocia) are carved into the mountainside, with a multitude of staircases and bridges connecting different entrances that prevent foes from cornering dwarven civilans and ranged troops and serve to confuse outsiders. While actual buildings can exist (http://purplesnote.blogspot.com/2009/11/inca-city-of-machu-picchu.html), likely carved of the rocks brought outside while hollowing the mountain, those are only in the highest habitable places.

This can be (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wieliczka_Salt_Mine) useful for (http://kopalnia.pl/index.php?id_language=2&id_news=&action=&id_site=&language_change=1&) cave dwarves (http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hVOW2U7K4-M/SgNuqgXeiaI/AAAAAAABApI/onisdWDeD2A/s720/tukryjnhdcfc.jpg).

Roxxy
2012-02-08, 02:31 PM
Ah, thank you for the pictures. They are very nice.

Roxxy
2012-02-09, 07:36 PM
Race relations in the manor of which races they like, don't like, and why.Regarding the other human races, they as a whole neither like nor dislike them, though there are plenty of exceptions. Dwarves prefer to remain isolated from other races and handle their own affairs, but are willing to trade and, when absolutely necessary, cooperate militarily against a common threat. They generally treat non-dwarves with an attitude of tolerance, and usually allow them in their cities so long as they remain respectful. Again, there are many exceptions to this rule.

Also, you talked about what the culture generally is like, but some more about what they value and some quirks of the governments would be nice. For example, how are cities divided?As a general rule, cities operate as independant city-states. Larger nations are pretty rare. As for governmental quirks, they have a policy of requiring a monarch's chosen successor to be voted into office, and they prefer indentured servitude to prison time or corporal punishment very highly.

Roxxy
2012-02-10, 12:02 AM
Revised dwarven description:

The Dwarves are a very clever and hard working race, known for both their work ethic and their ability to come up with inventive solutions to problems.

Physical description

Dwarves stand, on average, about 5 and a quarter feet tall, and are built along much the same lines as most other humans. They take great pride in their appearances and hygiene, being fastidious groomers and frequent bathers. They have a tendency to prefer long hair, and many males wear long beards, often braided, but this is not universal. They tend to be light skinned or tanned, and their natural hair colors are usually shades of grey, including white or black, shades of dark, earthy browns and greens, or metallic colors. Their irises are usually metallic colors, gemstone colors, or dark grey.

Environment

Dwarves live in many different environments. They prefer those that involve architectual challenges, and have developed four main subraces as a result. Mountain dwarves tend to live in cities carved from the surfaces of mountains. Cave dwarves live in cities located in caves and caverns deep underground. Tree dwarves live in cities suspended from hundreds of tall trees in forests and jungles. Sea dwarves live in giant city ships that can support entire communities.

Society

Dwarves tend to be monarchial, but they prefer constitutional monarchies over absolute monarchies. They appreciate a leader with the power to do what needs to be done, but dislike rules who can do whatever they want without challenge. Dwarven societies have been known to descend into tyranny, which just reinforces their preference for an enforced constitution. Most Dwarven governments are individual city-states, each with it's own monarch.

Dwarven society is generally fairly lawful, and they are usually fairly appreciative of their governments, though crime is not at all unheard of and corruption is often a problem. They respond to this with strict judgment of criminals meant to dissuade others from repeating their mistakes and turn criminals into law abiding individuals, prefer a period of labor over prison sentences or fines, and tend to like the idea of punishments fitting the crime when this is practical. They aren't very fond of the death penalty (aside from the occasional tyrant), as most see having to use it as a failure of society, but they do use it when they feel it is necessary. They just don't take much pleasure in it, seeing it as something unpleasant and unfortunate, but necessary for public safety.

Dwarves have a very hard work ethic, with a love of working stone, metal, wood, and gems. When it comes to art, they favor sculpting and carving a great deal. They generally have healthy senses of humor, and enjoy music, dancing, and alcohol. They put a very large amount of importance on family and close friends, and are very loyal. They generally aren't particularly religious, putting more faith in their leaders, family, and friends than they do in the gods. Dwarves can be intolerant of those different from them and hesitant to change when necessary do to their conservative bent. They place a lot of importance on family, and can be rather unpleasant to those from families with poor reputations, born out of wedlock, or without much of a family at all.

Dwarves have an great appreciation of technology and science, and are responsible for a large number of technological and scientific innovations. They see a massive array of possibilities in the study of wizardry, and many eagerly take to it. They are also very serious about their defense, and generally have a large force of well trained soldiers available. They tend to prefer roles that require training, education, and professionalism. It is not unusual for a dwarf to leave the mountains or caves for the lands of other human races, where their skills and professionalism are prized assets. There are a very large number of dwarven mercenaries, scientists, engineers, and magicians living among other human races.

The primary weapons of cave dwarves are polearms, hammers, and axes. Mountain dwarves prefer polearms, axes, and crossbows. Sea dwarves and tree dwarves prefer axes, swords, and crossbows.

Dwarves are generally neutral in regards to other human races. They are willing to trade and make agreements with them, but they prefer to remain politically seperate. Dwarves like to handle their own business, and expect other human races to respect this desire. They tolerate members of other human races being present in their cities, so long as they obey dwarven law, but their communities are generally fairly isolated, politically if not geographically.

Roxxy
2012-02-12, 06:22 PM
This is part of why dwarves so distrust powerful religion. (http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz58p9?What-are-the-likely-implications-of-this)

Dwarves have, however, always had a sizeable force of skilled druids, who's magic is are useful in the environments they live in, while lacking the baggage of other divine casters. Dwarves have a larger number of druids compared to their population as a whole than any other human race, and only wizards and alchemists can approach their popularity with dwarves when it comes to spellcasters.