PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a possible build...

txhazard
2012-02-02, 11:03 PM
Got a new guy joining my game, asked if I would allow him to tweak the cerebalmancer prc to allow for a cleric/Psi War power progression...I had to lol him.

Soooooo, he decided to do cleric/psi warrior build to level 12 he wont have it to me until next week but Im pondering on how that could viable, ranged?

I ask the community, thoughts?

Ellrin
2012-02-02, 11:46 PM
Got a new guy joining my game, asked if I would allow him to tweak the cerebalmancer prc to allow for a cleric/Psi War power progression...I had to lol him.

Soooooo, he decided to do cleric/psi warrior build to level 12 he wont have it to me until next week but Im pondering on how that could viable, ranged?

Well, you'd want to call it something else, but I'd say something along the lines of a cerebremancer or mystic theurge, except for cleric/manifesters, would be fine. Honestly, if anything I'd think a Cleric/Psychic Warrior "Holy Cerebrant" (temporary name) build would be too weak, actually. You've got all those bonus feats, sure, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that would really benefit a cleric, and cutting off the bonus feat progression for a psychic warrior before 10th level, with no significant melee progression afterwards, would make him pretty subpar at higher levels.

If what he's going after with flavor is a sort of psionic paladin, I'd recommend pushing him towards Divine Mind. It's got much, much less caster (well, manifester) potential than a cleric, and less PP/day than even a Psychic Warrior, but the mantles and auras sort of make up for that.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-03, 12:00 AM
Just so you know, there's an official 1st party 3.5 Psychic Theurge from WotC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b). I'd probably make it an Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3)/Psion, though.

On theurge-type classes in general though, it's typically a trap. By that I mean, you're almost always better off dedicated to a single class's casting progression than trying to split some or all of your levels between the casting of two classes. The 3/3/10 progression is one of the worst character mistakes that can be made. I'd strongly recommend something more along the lines of 2/1/10, which may have to be 3/1/10 with a psionic class, using Illumian (Krau/anything) with Improved Sigil: Krau for early entry.

Wings of Peace
2012-02-03, 12:02 AM
Just so you know, there's an official 1st party 3.5 Psychic Theurge from WotC (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b). I'd probably make it an Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3)/Psion, though.

On theurge-type classes in general though, it's typically a trap. By that I mean, you're almost always better off dedicated to a single class's casting progression than trying to split some or all of your levels between the casting of two classes. The 3/3/10 progression is one of the worst character mistakes that can be made. I'd strongly recommend something more along the lines of 2/1/10, which may have to be 3/1/10 with a psionic class, using Illumian (Krau/anything) with Improved Sigil: Krau for early entry.

I'm swearing at you in my mind because just as I was about to click submit I saw you beat me to it.

Manateee
2012-02-03, 12:12 AM
I'd have let him. And even increased the HD/BA to d6, 3/4.

The PHB and DMG both advise players to modify classes to fit various concepts. I have no idea why you wouldn't.

txhazard
2012-02-06, 12:30 AM
Thank you for the link, it was most helpful. I realize i could have just allowed him to do what he wanted to do but he is a late comer and I was relatively strict on the others when the game started with tweaking classes, was just trying to alleviate player bitching. Thanks guys you all have been most helpful. :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2012-02-06, 01:22 AM
Of course, the Psychic Theurge is probably exactly the same as the tweak to Cerebromancer your player suggested, anyway. They could have simplified things in the first place by just listing Cerebromancer as "+1 level of spellcasting class", instead of specifying arcane.