PDA

View Full Version : Surprising things you've learned from your hobbies.

Frozen_Feet
2012-02-03, 02:57 AM
So, I've found that almost no matter what your hobbies are, some uninitiated idiot will call them childish and/or a waste of time. Obviously the frequency in which this happens increases the more niche your chosen pasttime is, since less people actually know a damn thing about it.

I'll start with roleplaying games, since that's kinda what these boards are about:

How to write a Curriculum Vitae; as both a player and a GM, I've written hundreds of descriptions of different people and what they can and can't do. This skill has found use when writing job applications - it's easier to write down your own "character sheet" when you've had the practice, and I've learned a good bit about formatting my CV as well. I actually got complimented this morning for having the best-made CV of the applicants for the job. :smallcool:
Technical drawing and spatial thinking; from before I ever considered a technical vocation, I've been drawing and reading maps and visualizing and describing 3d environments based on 2d illustrations. This has been immense help later when learning to draw and read blueprints.

Next, Karate:

How to dance; my sensei often remarked how karate is like dance, or how dance-like fluidity is good for your movements. After observing modern dances, I've noticed that many of the movements are indeed similar. So, karate has improved my sense of rhythm, taught me what to do on the dance floor, lowering my treshold of actually stepping on it, and I've had surprisingly many favorable (or at least amused) comments from both sexes. (Wasn't really surprised when I learned certain forms of karate have been taught as a dance on Okinawa.)

Scouts, I don't know where to even start with, since at least here it's very different from expectations of people (which are based on Wolf Cubs from Donald Duck...). But anyways I've learned:

How to start a fire with car battery and steel wool.
How to play cards; this has been surprising to many, since they think scouts are some bastion of goody goodness where nothing even slightly questionable isn't allowed, when in reality, were just a bunch of normal youths, and do many of the same things in our camps as other young people.
How to act in business meetings & other business skills; having been part of our troop leadership from 15, and having taken part in dozens of troop leadership conferences, I've learned about conference protocol, accounting, budgeting, union and enterprise laws, and general organization for enterprises and trusts. This is the part of scouts I like the least, but I can't deny it's useful for my career life as an adult.

Dumbledore lives
2012-02-03, 03:13 AM
You'd be amazed how much you learn from writing, not even necessarily non fiction but just anything that has any connection to the real world, so everything. I've learned so much about chickens, such as how often they lay eggs, when they first open their eyes, how long they live. I've also learned a great variety about Greek mythology and other mythologies as well, just because I was looking for a name for a character.

For constructing D&D campaigns as well I've done a huge amount of research on things as varied as the farming habits of medieval societies and how that would change with create food and water, to the exact specifications on a number of arms and armor. No matter what you do you learn new things, that's just the way that life is.

Fri
2012-02-03, 03:53 AM
I'm working as a professional subtitler now, and I dare to say that 75% of my english knowledge is from playing english language video games, reading english books, and watching english movies.

How I got the highest TOEFL score in my college and my current job is from my hobbies then.

I'll include my writing hobbies if I managed to get a writing job in the future :smallbiggrin:.

Coidzor
2012-02-03, 03:55 AM
...Playing cards is questionable? :smallconfused: Go-fish just took on all new subversive undertones that I'm not quite comfortable with something so... vanilla giving off...

Frozen_Feet
2012-02-03, 05:08 AM
...Playing cards is questionable? :smallconfused: Go-fish just took on all new subversive undertones that I'm not quite comfortable with something so... vanilla giving off...

Well, as noted what's surprising is relative. It was surprising to people here because they had this insane misconception of scouts being some ultra-conservative religious cult that thinks gambling and playing cards are instruments of the Devil or something.

thubby
2012-02-03, 06:40 AM
i learned basic geometry and even entry level calculus from DnD stuff before i encountered it in school.

range relationships with flying creatures is ultimately a hypotenuse. and trying to flood an irregularly shaped room with the likes of create water isn't easy :smallannoyed:

Rising Phoenix
2012-02-03, 10:58 AM
A bird that's smaller than my fist will in it's lifetime traverse the equivalent of going to moon and back.

Bar-tailed Godwits can fly from Alaska to NZ in an 6 day, non stop flight. Their digestive organs atrophy in preparation for this journey.

I can tell different bird species apart literally in split seconds even if all I've seen was their distant silhouette. Thanks to birdwatching I've become very perceptive and can also read people very very well.

A metamorphosing caterpillar literally disintegrates to form the adult butterfly body.

Mantis shrimps can perceive the world in a way we cannot even begin to imagine...
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp)

Planet Earth may harbour more than 10 million different species of organism.

People really don't notice the small stuff. :smallredface:

warty goblin
2012-02-03, 01:42 PM
Recently I learned that it's quite hard to bandage a cut in the middle of the palm of your hand.

My hobby: carving model spaceships out of block of wood. Occasionally the knife slips.

Yora
2012-02-03, 01:44 PM
Anything I know about metalworking and explosives.

LordRahl6
2012-02-03, 02:51 PM
It's true about the strange things that come up in Fiction that are pretty much true. For example, the Wizard Rules of the Sword of Truth series, where my screen name comes from, are excellent source of truths about people that any Anthropologist should recognize. The field of Anthropology is also my major.:smallwink:

valadil
2012-02-03, 03:30 PM
I play guitar. I have a 4 month old baby. He reacts to guitar chords in precisely the manner an intro to music theory book would describe. G major? Big happy smile. E minor? Sad face frown. The only exception to the major happy/minor sad pattern I've found is A minor, which makes him hyper. I think it's because I was rehearsing the hell out of an Am song while he was in utero.

warty goblin
2012-02-03, 04:00 PM
Anything I know about metalworking and explosives.

I have no idea what your hobby is, but it's definitely cooler than mine. All I get is a couple funky little knives and lacerated digits.

THAC0
2012-02-03, 07:08 PM
I play guitar. I have a 4 month old baby. He reacts to guitar chords in precisely the manner an intro to music theory book would describe. G major? Big happy smile. E minor? Sad face frown. The only exception to the major happy/minor sad pattern I've found is A minor, which makes him hyper. I think it's because I was rehearsing the hell out of an Am song while he was in utero.

That's interesting, given that the research I've seen would indicate the opposite, that the happy/sad correlation to major/minor is almost certainly nurture-based rather than nature. Was the baby possibly reacting to your emotion?

Cespenar
2012-02-03, 10:50 PM
I had learned, many years ago, all about middle age warfare and feudalism from the lore section of Age of Empires 2.

Which I suspect will turn out to be quite inaccurate. :smallbiggrin:

Grue Bait
2012-02-03, 11:05 PM
I've actually gotten pretty good at building and designing things from playing with legos so much.

@Rising Phoenix: That Mantis Shrimp is probably one of the coolest crustaceans I've ever seen.

valadil
2012-02-03, 11:31 PM
That's interesting, given that the research I've seen would indicate the opposite, that the happy/sad correlation to major/minor is almost certainly nurture-based rather than nature. Was the baby possibly reacting to your emotion?

It's absolutely possible. I could try deceiving him, but then we'd have to question whether or not the little guy could tell the difference between fake and real emotions I give off. I guess I'll have to set up a mirror or camera in a way that I can watch him while he doesn't see me.