PDA

View Full Version : Silver Claws, Silver Claws

ExemplarofAvg
2012-02-03, 09:51 AM
So Silver is the best way to take down a lycanthrope, or other creatures occasionally (Granted Mithral is better, but there's something more traditional about Silver) So my one DM and I were talking about things and ended up talking about Magic the Gathering and how their new set and how the new set had werewolves. This is always a downhill run with us, we take interest we must try it. So we watched some werewolf movies and came across "Red Riding Hood" now we rather liked it he has already stolen the Brazen Bull for something with another group, but I focused on one weapon in the entire movie that basically made you great at taking out Werewolves even when unarmed or extreme close range (Okay, maybe not great but it's better than pissing yourself) The Long and Short, and for those who read this I apologize, I like background information but I know many do not, that is why I provide a Summary and may or may not spoiler this. How to get those claws that Father Solomon has, if you haven't seen the movie I suggest it, it's not fantastic, but it's not as terrible as the ratings say. He basically had silver claws forged and had them placed where his nails should be, which is kind of awesome.
Summary
Giving a Human Silver Claws (Maybe Mithral)
Claw Damage for a Human would be 1d4 (medium), Confirm?
Cost of the Claws?
Side Effects/Drawbacks?
What happens if the Human then becomes a Werewolf?
(this character will be a werewolf hunter after all, and from what I've made him so far he's too determined to take them out than kill himself off simply for becoming one and would try to use the ability to the best of his advantage but will have to be stopped if he loses too much control)

Namfuak
2012-02-03, 10:20 AM
1d4 sounds fine for the regular weapon, but remember that it would be 1d4-1 because they are silver.

A Spiked Gauntlet, which seem like the most similar weapon, would cost 5gp. With the silver, that increases to 25gp. Since these claws are slightly more specialized in terms of design, maybe 30gp? 60gp for two.

I might think that these would have the drawback of not having a 5-foot reach, but the gauntlets don't so I suppose that wouldn't apply. Obviously these would be light weapons, but maybe they could give a bonus to grappling since you don't have to deal with a larger weapon? Also, possibly when you pin an opponent you can have a special ability where you can full attack with both claws with no dual-wielding penalties? I'm imagining something like a werewolf pinning an opponent with his knees, and then going to town on his face and neck with the claws.

Greenish
2012-02-03, 10:59 AM
Mithral doesn't pierce DR/Silver, does it?

Anyway, if it's a weapon, what Namfuak said above about spiked gauntlets should apply. If you're thinking of actual natural weapons, I guess it'd be a graft. Say, 2000 gp, -3 hp, get a pair of 1d4 (if medium) claws that pierce DR/Silver.

BillyBobJoe
2012-02-03, 11:15 AM
I remember in the Arms and Equipment Guide, there were numerous claw-like weapons, that may serve better. It's 3e, but most of the weapons in there haven't been updated to 3.5, so it should be fine.

lesser_minion
2012-02-03, 11:24 AM
Mithral doesn't pierce DR/Silver, does it?

Currently, no.

In 3.0, any magic weapon did, as did adamantine.

Otherwise, I think Tolkien's mithril was described as 'true silver' or some such once or twice, so I wouldn't be surprised if some DMs houseruled it in.

OracleofSilence
2012-02-03, 11:36 AM
This seems to make sense for the most part, but if you really wanted to take out a Werewolf up close, then something other then tiny little claws might be in line with your goal.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-02-03, 12:45 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Mithral
Specifically:
"Mithral weapons count as silver for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction."

Technically it's Pathfinder but I didn't want to limit input as importing information and material is something that I work with. I like the graft idea the best, I didn't want it as a weapon and for the most part it'll be flavour (until the hunter get's wolfed) A werewolf with Mithral (or Silver but −1 is unliked) then it becomes attractive. Looking at a Natural Weapon Ranger. Favoured Enemy Shapechangers and Undead, Terrain Urban and Forest.

Mystify
2012-02-03, 03:23 PM
If you become a werewolf, then the claws become a moot point, since they can claw through silver DR normally.

Greenish
2012-02-03, 03:30 PM
If you become a werewolf, then the claws become a moot point, since they can claw through silver DR normally.Actually, I don't think material-based DR works like that, only DR/Magic or DR/Epic.

Mystify
2012-02-03, 04:27 PM
Actually, I don't think material-based DR works like that, only DR/Magic or DR/Epic.
You are right, my mistake.