PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon-review89 (Pokemon-freak89's review of cartoons. Obviously.)

enderlord99
2012-02-03, 10:21 AM
Okay, first up, the one after which I sort-of named myself: Pokemon.

Despite the games being awesome, the show is only decent. It's probably significantly above average for small children, but the plots are all ridiculously similar, it rips off Star Wars a lot (the Lucario movie one being the worst offender... I think), and there should be no way noone can see through the villains' disguises. Basically, it's the cartoon equivalent of chicken nuggets: little kids love it, but adults don't because they know it's so unhealthy the whole plot before the episode even starts, and recognise it's a bad one.

Next, we have a show that most of this forum loves for no logical reason: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

This cartoon is like a carrot cake: it doesn't contain very many ingredients that are even remotely similar to the finished product. Both are also more sweet than most other food-types/shows. Some of the "ingredients" include, bad singing (mostly by one character), cheesy puns (that aren't puns at all in-universe), speeches (one of my least favorite parts of any cartoon) and anviliciousness (without any point to be anvilicious about) Nonetheless, it's actually pretty good... somehow.

Traab
2012-02-03, 11:29 AM
Wasnt the cartoon basically made specifically to sell the toys? Thats why virtually every episode would show us some new pokemon. Why the original opening credits was to do nothing more than list and picture every single pokemon that currently existed. Why virtually every early pokemon was "cute" so the girls would want the plushies, but shown to be butt kicking fighters in pokemon battles so boys would want them too. The original couple of series were nothing more than half hour long commercials. I mean heck, they even later on added in pokemon BEAUTY PAGEANTS! If that isnt the most blatant attempt to attract more girls into the commercial fold, i dont know what is

enderlord99
2012-02-03, 04:21 PM
Wasnt the cartoon basically made specifically to sell the toys? Thats why virtually every episode would show us some new pokemon. Why the original opening credits was to do nothing more than list and picture every single pokemon that currently existed. Why virtually every early pokemon was "cute" so the girls would want the plushies, but shown to be butt kicking fighters in pokemon battles so boys would want them too. The original couple of series were nothing more than half hour long commercials. I mean heck, they even later on added in pokemon BEAUTY PAGEANTS! If that isnt the most blatant attempt to attract more girls into the commercial fold, i dont know what is

Yes, I believe that was the intent. I just look at the results, and that is obvious, but, well, I still think my description is accurate. Also, I will be lampshading the "it's an infomercial disguised as a show" aspect later.