PDA

View Full Version : The Pact Warrior[Binder Melee class, 3.5, PEACH]

BelGareth
2012-02-03, 12:32 PM
The Pact Warrior
"I call upon you to strengthen my arms and toughen my skin, you shall help me endure the pain and keen my weapon, come now and bind with me!"
—Cailen, Human Pact Warrior,
calling upon a vestige to make a pact.

Class skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): The class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Decipher Script(Int), Diplomacy, Gather Information(Cha), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Knowledge (arcana)(Int), Knowledge (history)(Int), Knowledge (religion)(Int), Knowledge (the planes)(Int), Profession(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Martial Lore(Int), Swim(Str), Tumble(Dex).
4 * (4 + Int Modifier) for first level

Alignment: Any

Starting Age: As Barbarian

Starting Wealth: 5d4×10 (125 gp)

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known|Max Vestige Level

1st| +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | SoulBinding(1 Vestige) | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1st

2nd| +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Suppress Sign, Pact Augmentation(1) | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1st

3rd| +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Strike from beyond | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1st

4th| +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Martial Augmentation(1) | 2 | 1 | 1 | 1st

5th| +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Vestigial Recovery | 3 | 2 | 1 | 2nd

6th| +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +5 |Soul guardian (immune to fear) | 3 | 2 | 1 | 2nd

7th| +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +5 | SoulBinding(2 Vestiges) | 4 | 2 | 2 | 2nd

8th| +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Pact Augmentation(2), Martial Augmentation(2) | 4 | 2 | 2 | 2nd

9th| +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Soul guardian (slippery mind) | 5 | 3 | 2 | 3rd

10th| +10/+5 | +6 | +3 | +7 | Stance of the Pact Master | 5 | 3 | 2 | 3rd

11th| +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +7 | - | 6 | 3 | 2 | 3rd

12th| +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Martial Augmentation(3) | 6 | 3 | 2 | 3rd

13th| +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Soul guardian (immune to energy drain and negative levels)| 7 | 4 | 2 | 4th

14th| +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +9 | SoulBinding(3 Vestiges), Pact Augmentation(3) | 7 | 4 | 3 | 4th

15th| +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +9 | - | 8 | 4 | 3 | 4th

16th| +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +10 | Martial Augmentation(4) | 8 | 4 | 3 | 4th

17th| +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +10 | - | 9 | 5 | 3 | 5th

18th| +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Disrupt their Rest | 9 | 5 | 3 | 5th

19th| +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Soul guardian (mind blank) | 10 | 5 | 3 | 5th

20th| +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +12 | Pact Augmentation(4), Martial Augmentation(5) | 10 | 5 | 3 | 5th
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You are proficient with simple and martial melee weapons (including those that can be used as thrown weapons), light and medium armor, and all shields except tower shields.

Soul Binding: Through special methods known only to binders & Pact Warriors, you can contact a vestige and make a pact with it. At 1st level, you can make a pact with one vestige at a time. At higher levels, you can form and maintain pacts with multiple vestiges simultaneously, as shown on table.
You must complete the summoning and binding process with each separately, so each has its normal chance to influence you. You bear the physical sign of binding for each one. Your effective binder level, or EBL (your Pact Warrior class level plus any soul binding bonuses you receive from prestige classes or other sources), determines the maximum level of vestige you can summon, as well as all other functions related to binding vestiges. This value equates to your Pact Warrior class level, as given on table, for this purpose. If the vestige you are trying to contact is of a higher level than your indicated maximum, you cannot summon it.

To contact a vestige, you must draw its unique seal visibly on a surface (generally the ground), making the image at least 5 feet across. Drawing a seal requires the ability to mark a surface and 1 minute of concentration, and the act provokes attacks of opportunity. A seal not used within 1 minute of its drawing loses all potency, and you must draw a new one to contact the vestige. A vestige might also have other requirements for contact, as noted in its entry (see the Vestige descriptions). Once the seal is drawn, you must perform a ritual requiring a full-round action to summon the corresponding vestige.
During this time, you must touch the seal and call out to the vestige using both its name and its title. The ritual fails if you cannot be heard (for example, if you are within the area of a silence spell).

Otherwise, a manifestation of the vestige appears in the seal’s space as soon as you finish the ritual. This image is not the actual vestige; it is merely a figment—an illusion that cannot harm or be harmed by any creature. Creatures that interact with the image or study it carefully automatically recognize it as illusory. The summoned image ignores everyone but you. If you fail to address it within 1 round, it disappears. The vestige speaks in whatever language you used to call it. To make a pact with your summoned vestige, you must make a binding check (1d20 + your effective Pact Warrior level + your Cha modifier). This process requires 1 minute, but you can choose to make a rushed binding check as a full-round action at a –10 penalty. The DC for this check is provided in the description of each vestige. You must make your perilous pact alone; others cannot aid you in any way. Whether the binding check succeeds or fails, you gain the powers granted by the vestige for 24 hours. During that time, you cannot rid yourself of the vestige unless you possess the Expel Vestige feat. Success or failure does, however, determine other aspects of the pact. If you fail the binding check, the vestige influences your personality and your actions, and you are said to have made a poor pact. (Specifically, the vestige’s presence changes your general demeanor, and it can force you to perform or refrain from certain actions.)

If your binding check is successful, the vestige has no control over your actions and does not influence your personality. In this case, you are said to have made a good pact. While under the influence of a vestige, you must adhere to its requirements to the best of your ability. If you are conscious and free-willed, and you encounter a situation in which you cannot or will not refrain from a prohibited action or perform a required one, you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, and checks until that vestige leaves you. If you are influenced by more than one vestige, you must act according to all their influences. If you fail to fulfill the requirements of more than one vestige or disobey a single vestige more than once, the penalties stack. As long as you are bound to a vestige, you manifest a specific physical sign of its presence, as given in its entry. This sign is real, not an illusory or shapechanging effect, and someone using true seeing perceives it just as it is. You can hide a sign by mundane or magical means without penalty, or you can prevent it from appearing at all if you have the suppress sign ability.

Vestiges are bound to your soul by the pact. They cannot be targeted or expelled by any means except the Expel Vestige feat, nor can they be suppressed except by an antimagic field or similar effect. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against any supernatural power granted by a vestige is 10 + 1/2 your effective binder level + your Cha modifier.

Maneuvers: You begin your career with knowledge of one martial maneuver. The disciplines available to you are Desert Wind, Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, and White Raven.

Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by Pact Warriors is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. You learn additional maneuvers at higher levels, as shown on the table. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it.

Upon reaching 5th level, and at every odd-numbered Pact Warrior level after that (7th, 9th, 11th, and so on), you can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. In effect, you lose the old maneuver in exchange for the new one. You can choose a new maneuver of any level you like, as long as you observe your restriction on the highest-level maneuvers you know; you need not replace the old maneuver with a maneuver of the same level. For example, upon reaching 11th level, you could trade in a single 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th- or 5th-level maneuver for a maneuver of 6th level or lower, as long as you meet the prerequisite of the new maneuver. You can swap only a single maneuver at any given level.

Maneuvers Readied: You can only ready your one maneuver known at 1st level, but as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you must choose which maneuvers to ready. You ready your maneuvers by meditating for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to meditate again and change them. You need not sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready your maneuvers; any time you spend 5 minutes in a meditative trance, you can change your readied maneuvers.

You begin an encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times you might have already used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter, so each of your readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (until you recover them, as described below). You can recover all expended maneuvers with a single swift action, which must be immediately followed in the same round with a melee attack or using a standard action to do nothing else in the round (such as executing a quick, harmless flourish with your weapon). You cannot initiate a maneuver or change your stance while you are recovering your expended maneuvers, but you can remain in a stance in which you began your turn.

Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1stlevel stance from any discipline open to Pact Warriors. At 7th, and 14th level, you can choose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times, and you can change the stance you are currently using as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated in the stance description. Unlike with maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Suppress Sign (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, when you make a good pact, you can choose not to exhibit the physical sign that normally accompanies a pact with a vestige. You can suppress or reveal the sign at will as a swift action. With a poor pact, you gain the powers of the vestige, but you cannot suppress its sign. You show it for the duration of the pact and are influenced by it as normal.

Pact Augmentation (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, you can draw additional power from the vestiges you bind. As long as you are bound to at least one vestige, you can choose one ability from the following list. Each time you rebind a vestige, you also reselect your pact augmentation ability. As you attain higher levels, you can make additional selections from the list. You gain one additional ability at 8th, 14th, and 20th level (to a maximum of four selections at 20th level). You can choose a single ability multiple times, and their effects stack.
For instance, at 16th level you could choose bonus hit points twice and damage reduction twice, gaining +10 hit points and damage reduction 2/—.

Pact Augmentation Abilities

+5 hit points
Energy resistance 5 (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic)
+1 insight bonus on saving throws
Damage reduction 1/—
+1 insight bonus to Armor Class
+1 insight bonus on attack rolls
+1 insight bonus on damage rolls
+2 insight bonus on initiative checks

Strike from beyond: At 3rd level a Pact Warrior learns how to channel his bound vestiges power through his melee strikes. As a Swift action the Pact Warrior can give up a Vestige power to deal extra damage with his melee attack, you choose wich power to give up and you cannot gain the powers benefit for another 5 rounds. Once the power is chosen the Pact Warrior's melee weapons are enhanced with the raw power of the Vestige, the Pact Warrior deals an additional amount of damage equal to his Binder level and gains a bonus to hit equal to his Charisma modifier, these bonuses apply to all attacks he makes in the round. Once used this ability has a 5 round cool down. Unlike the Anima Mage where the vestiges do not like to be abused in such a way, Vestiges actually enjoy this use of their granted powers as it allows them to release themselves into the world a little more than usual.

Martial Augmentation: Beginning at 4th level you can use the power of the bound vestiges to enhance your weapon with a mote of their power. As long as you are bound to at least one vestige, you can choose one ability from the following list. Each time you Ready your maneuvers, you may also reselect your Martial augmentation ability. As you attain higher levels, you can make additional selections from the list. You gain one additional ability at 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level (to a maximum of five selections at 20th level). You can choose a single ability multiple times, and their effects stack.

Martial Augmentation Abilities

+1 Weapon property*
+1 Weapon Enhancement*
1 additional pact augmentation

*Weapon must be chosen at the time the Martial Augmentation is chosen.

Vestigial Recovery: At 5th level, the Pact Warrior learns how to channel the powers gained from his pacts into his martial maneuvers. As a swift action he can give up a Vestige power to recover an expended maneuver. You choose which power to give up and you cannot gain the powers benefit for another 5 rounds. The recovered maneuver is ready to use in the same round it was recovered.

Soul Guardian (Su): Beginning at 6th level, you have immunity to fear effects as long as you are bound to a vestige.
As you attain higher binder levels, the vestige guards its time with you even more jealously, granting you protection from additional effects that would harm your soul and life energy for as long as the pact lasts.
At 9th level, you gain the slippery mind ability, which allows you to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel you. If you fail your saving throw against an enchantment spell or effect, you can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. You get only this one extra chance to succeed on your saving throw.
At 13th level, you gain immunity to energy drain and negative levels.
When you attain 19th level, your bound vestiges completely protect your mind, granting you immunity to all mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Stance of the Pact Master: At 10th level, you learn how to empower you pact with your bound vestiges improving the abilities they grant you. While you are in a stance from any discipline you know, you can forgo its normal benefit as a swift action to gain the effect of the Stance of the Pact Master.
This ability lasts as long as you would maintain the stance, or as described below. You can also stop using the Stance of the Pact Master and resume gaining the normal benefit of the stance as a swift action.

While you use this ability your affective Pact Warrior level increases by an amount equal to your Charisma Modifier for all affects granted to you by bound vestiges. This only affects the abilities granted by vestiges and does not allow you to bind more powerful vestiges or increase your EBL when attempting a pact with a vestige.

Disrupt their Rest (Su): At 18th level, the Pact Warrior learns how to accomplish one of his most powerful strikes. The Pact Warrior unleashes the Vestiges bound to his soul through his strike and realizes their physical form for a few seconds, allowing them to strike out at his enemies and live life once more. As a full round action the Pact Warrior may expend a readied maneuver to use 'Disrupt their Rest', in doing so all bound vestiges are temporarily unbound and released into the material plane with their physical bodies, if only for a few seconds. All bound vestiges appear as medium creatures of their type and unleash a barrage of attacks in a 60 ft cone originating from the Pact Warriors square. All creatures within the cone(not including the Pact Warrior) take damage equal to all the Binding DC's of all the Vestiges unleashed + the Pact Warrior's EBL. Once this ability is used all Vestige powers cannot be used for 5 rounds.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-03, 05:23 PM
My complaint is....Try to simplify it. Im REALY confused with allot of the terms used.

Try to remove some of the WORDS WORDS WORDS and make it a bit simpler by separating them into little "easier to read" lines of text rather then large paragraph chunks (Paragraphs are for fluff, lines/ lists are for mechanicks)

But eh, Im a newb.

Grinner
2012-02-03, 05:28 PM
My complaint is....Try to simplify it. Im REALY confused with allot of the terms used.

Try to remove some of the WORDS WORDS WORDS and make it a bit simpler by separating them into little "easier to read" lines of text rather then large paragraph chunks (Paragraphs are for fluff, lines/ lists are for mechanicks)

That's pact magic for you.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-03, 05:42 PM
For example:

Soul Binding: Through special methods known only to binders & Pact Warriors, you can contact a vestige and make a pact with it. At 1st level, you can make a pact with one vestige at a time. At higher levels, you can form and maintain pacts with multiple vestiges simultaneously, as shown on table.

Should be:

Soul Binding: Through special methods known only to binders & Pact Warriors, you can contact a vestige and make a pact with it. At 1st level, you can make a pact with one vestige at a time.
At "Insert level here" you can make pacts with "Insert number here
Ect
Ect
Ect

Sorry.

alchemyprime
2012-02-03, 05:49 PM
I'm subscribing. Please finish this. :smallfrown: It'll make me very happy.

Grinner
2012-02-03, 06:20 PM
For example:

Should be:

Soul Binding: Through special methods known only to binders & Pact Warriors, you can contact a vestige and make a pact with it. At 1st level, you can make a pact with one vestige at a time.
At "Insert level here" you can make pacts with "Insert number here
Ect
Ect
Ect

Again. That block of text is necessary. Pact magic has an extended process used to create a pact with a vestige.

He's taken that feature of this class from a sourcebook called Tome of Magic. It might make more sense if you read it.

NinjaStylerobot
2012-02-03, 06:29 PM
Mkay. Il try. The info is just overwhelming.

BelGareth
2012-02-03, 07:07 PM
I'm subscribing. Please finish this. :smallfrown: It'll make me very happy.

Finished. hope you like it.

Golden Ladybug
2012-02-03, 09:55 PM
Well, Bel, you asked me to have a look, and here I am :smallbiggrin:

Hmm...I like it. I have some problems with it, but I do like the base idea a lot.

I really like Binders, ever since I picked up a copy of the Tome of Magic, and I've been aching to try one out for a while, and while I never really liked Martial Adepts that much (or Melee classes in general. I'm more of a magic fan :smallwink:), I can see the appeal of them and I do like their mechanics. Combining the two leads to fun times.

However, I see a few things that seem to suggest that the Pact Warrior is more powerful than either of its two component parts, even with the Staggered Binding progression. From what I can tell, the Pact Warrior has full Initiator Level Progression (correct me if I'm wrong), which means it gets 9th Level Maneuvers and 5th Level Vestiges at level 17+

That's a lot of versatility, especially since the Pact Warrior is getting the White Raven, Diamond Mind and Devoted Spirit disciplines, all of which are very powerful. 5th Level Vestiges aren't quite as nice as the 8th Level Vestiges, but that still encompasses a lot of the most versatile Vestiges out there. Balam, Andras and Buer are all very beneficial for a Melee Character, especially since the Pact Warrior gets Devoted Spirit Maneuvers, which supplement the healing powers that it gives out. It doesn't get Chupoclops though, which I think is a good call.

I don't know how I feel about Strike from Beyond; Mechanically, I really like it, but the comparison to Anima Mage is a bit iffy to me. I feel that the presentation of Vestiges as is doesn't really fit in enjoying being used to power up your weapons, but as thats purely fluff based, its pretty much a non-issue.

Also, this raises a few flags for me:

Martial Augmentation: Beginning at 4th level you can use the power of the bound vestiges to enhance your weapon with a mote of their power. As long as you are bound to at least one vestige, you can choose one ability from the following list. Each time you Ready your maneuvers, you may also reselect your Martial augmentation ability. As you attain higher levels, you can make additional selections from the list. You gain one additional ability at 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level (to a maximum of five selections at 20th level). You can choose a single ability multiple times, and their effects stack.

Martial Augmentation Abilities

1 Maneuver that you are eligible for
+1 Weapon property*
+1 Weapon Enhancement*
1 Fighter Feat that you are eligible for
1 additional pact augmentation

*Weapon must be chosen at the time the Martial Augmentation is chosen.

Specifically the Additional Maneuvers. 5 Free Floating Maneuvers is pretty huge; effectively, the Pact Warrior knows every Maneuvers from five schools, which is an unparalleled amount of versatility over the other Martial Adepts. Using the Feats, you can pick up any given Maneuver or Stance from any of the other Disciplines with five minutes of downtime; want Shadow Jaunt or Iron Heart Surge? You got it!

And being able to pick up Ghost Touch or whatever on the fly is also pretty nice.

And Disrupt their Rest makes me even more glad that the Pact Warrior doesn't get Chupoclops; can you imagine the logistics of having something that Big being thrown into the room every 5 rounds? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I feel that the Pact Warrior is taking a lot of what is good about both the Binder and the Martial Adept, and making it much better by combining the two. As written, you're not making any sacrifice here to get a ton of versatility and power; it has arguably the best Recovery Mechanic in the game, access to every Maneuver whenever you need it, a ton of good Vestiges and all the immunities and resistances that the Binder gets and to top it all off, full BAB and two good saves. You're getting so much, and giving up so little. No other Martial Adept could keep up with it, and the Binder gets out versatiled (and thats really the draw of the Binder; being able to fulfill any role that is needed by binding the right Vestige). This is something that you could take all the way to 20 without ever feeling the need to jump into a Prestige Class, because it gives you so much already.

Unless that was your intention with the class, I'd say that staggering the Maneuver Progression to...say 6ths at 17th Level and up? That gives it a clear distinction between both its component parts; using the Pact Warrior still gives you a ton of power and versatility, but you lose out on the highest level Maneuvers and Vestiges because of it.

I'd also suggest removing the Ability to pick up extra Maneuvers for free when you have a Vestige Bound and you're readying new Maneuvers, and perhaps even giving it the Swordsage's Recovery Mechanic rather than the Warblades. With Vestigial Recovery, you're already incredibly efficient at getting back Maneuvers, so I don't think there is call for them having the best way of doing that out of the box.

Still, its a very cool idea, and I certainly think it'd be interesting to see it in play.

BelGareth
2012-02-03, 10:05 PM
Thanks for coming by and taking a look!

You do bring up some great points, I will most likely take your advice and remove the bonus feats and martial maneuvers from Martial augmentation. As I wanted to limit the classes martial progression.

I'm leery about lowering the maneuvers to 6th, I had wanted to keep it to 9th......Will have to think on that.

On the recovery thing, I wanted to emphasize the idea that the class does things through force of will, he regains his limited number (now with the changes) of maneuvers back through pure force of will, and other abilities.

I don't think retarding the ability to recover them by changing it over to the swordsage is a good idea, as it is by far the worst and mechanically stupid.

THANKYOU very much for you PEACH, it is greatly received.

GuyFawkes
2012-02-03, 11:54 PM
Ha! I was thinking about something like this, and you beat me to it. Nice! Anyway, I'll have my critique later. I need to leave soon.