PDA

View Full Version : Glare of the Crimson Sun: IC

Pages : [1] 2

Ravian
2012-02-03, 01:15 PM
The Dark Red sun of Athas beats down upon the City of Balic, jewel of the Estuary of the Forked Tongue. Highsun has always been a scorching season, but few could remember one hotter than this one. Despite the heat wave though, street activity goes on as usual, including in the West Gate Slums. Mostly inhabited by new immigrants and other poor and destitute inhabitants, the slum serves as a key black market spot due to the nearby Elven Market. Creatures of all races conduct business on the streets, and today is just like any other. Several small curio stands line the pavement sell trinkets of much acclaim but little value, while a few street performers attempt to garner tips from passersby, whether the passersby are aware of their donation or not is another question eintirely. The only permanent establishment this stretch of street is the Tari's tail, an inn and broyhouse named for the rat-like humanoids of the wastes. A Large Thri-Kreen stands guard at the door as a bouncer.

(go on and establish where you are on the street)

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-03, 01:29 PM
Karak Grint (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=364391), Discarded Golem

A large, almost hulking, creature of indeterminate race stands in the shadow of one of the side streets, passively standing out of the oppressing heat and, as far as any passer by could tell, just watching the flow of people along the main street. A regular observer would give this creature a wide berth, since it looks dangerous and poor. A casual look would pick up on the layers of grime covering the creature: a leather armour badly stitched together from two or three smaller ones, splattered with gore, desert clothing more wrapped than worn around the body, and a thick layer of desert dust everywhere else. A large Mekillot carapace is firmly held in one hand, likely as an unwieldy shield, while a large thighbone, with sinew and muscle still attached, is held on the other.

A less casual stare - a dangerous thing, in the slums, where a bad look is enough to get you killed - might reveal that much of the dust seems too firmly attached to be just a layer of grit from the desert. But few bother, as long as Karak stays out of the way. And he is more than happy to do so, as he examines this strange warren of humanity. A confusing sight, it does not match what his memories tell him a city should be.

If a specific location is required, Karak is some two or three side streets down from the tavern's entrance. (three if they are close together, two if more far apart - say some 60 or so feet away from it).

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-03, 05:24 PM
A shambling, ragged figure in a coat made with more pockets than coat shuffles out of an alley way, and brings a small, hollowed beetle shell to his lips, gulping down the last of the foul juices inside. The firey liquid burns down his throat, and he spits in the street, on the foot of a passerby. The man looks up, in anger, hand reaching for his belt, untill he looks into the smirking, menacing face of the spitter. He backs off, and the spitter hacks out a gratting cough of a laugh brought apon by smoking too much of Andropines-knows-what. Specks of alcohol fleck his bristly mane of a beard, tied off at the bottem to keep it out of the way. He wipes it away, then enters the broyhouse with one hand placed firmly on a menacing-looking handcrossbow, eager to refill his hipflask with more whisky, if you could even call it that.

The Underlord
2012-02-03, 05:36 PM
A Thri-keen stands near the side of the tavern away from the other Thri-keen, leaning on what appears to be a walking staff. A more attentive looker might notice runes ethed on the staff, or that his eyes were darting around, searching for potential trouble makers.
Perception check [roll0]

Emongnome777
2012-02-04, 12:05 AM
Elebon, Half-Elf Battlemind

Elebon takes a seat at his usual spot in Tari's Tail. His thin, wooden shield is hanging loosely from his back, barely anchored to his back by thread-bare straps. The alhulak hanging by his side is equally jagged and worn.

From a distance, he looks like a short elf; his long ears, sharp features and scrawny body would fool some, at least before they get a closer look.

Today, the same as the last several days, Elebon has been sitting alone at the bar, drinking broy. It has to be the worst tasking broy he's had (which is saying something), but he forces it down nonetheless. He's also out of money. Why did I leave the skimmer?, he asked himself, today as he does every day. Captain Merik was decent enough. Sure, sailing around the Estuary was miserable, but at least I had something to do and an income, paltry though it may be. He shook his head and motioned for another dirty glass of broy. When his funds started getting low, he could no longer afford the luxury of a clean glass.

Ascy
2012-02-04, 06:47 AM
Araz, Half-Elemental Artificer

On a corner, just a short distance away from Tari's Tail, a couple of ceramic pieces clatter in a bandaged hand. A hooded person counts the revenue from his latest deal hidden in his palm and lets the coins drop into one of the many little bags inside the wraps of his cloak.

"Idiot. Four ceramic pieces for two bottles of cactus juice. And not even the distilled stuff.",
he mutters under his breath, as he watches the scrawny human depart.
This spot was very lucrative - no doubt due to its proximity to the tavern. Drunken, humiliated men tend to buy more daggers than sober ones, the half-elemental found out.
But he was not the only street vendor, and even though his competitors didn't have the quality, they had the muscle to prevent him from making too much of a profit.

Casually leaning on the sandstone wall, Araz lets his glowing eyes dart over the street, looking for trouble - or new customers.

Ravian
2012-02-04, 09:00 AM
A slight wind picks up, stirring up some of the dust lining the streets. Few people think much of it, after all there are plenty of things more dangerous on Athas then a slight breeze. However few things on Athas are exactly as they appear.
Most of the inhabitants look up from what they are doing at the sound of a Crodlu galloping. Looking up they watch a legionnaire atop a finely harnessed War Crodlu gallop down the street. As the guard rushes down the street he shouts at the top of his lungs two words that halt all activity.

Silt Wind!

Immediately filter masks go on, curio stalls go down, and layabouts disperse, looking for shelter.
Few wanted to be caught out in a silt wind, even with a filter mask the wind would cause any traveler to be virtually blind, while stinging silt particles flayed any exsposed skin. For those without, death was almost guaranteed as the fine dust collects in the unfortunate's lungs, suffocating him as it mixes with his own body's water.
The Thri-Kreen bouncer goes inside and begins to seal the silt blinds on the windows to ensur the bar will remain siltless.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-04, 10:38 AM
Karak Grint (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=364391), Discarded Golem

With the lessening of people, Karak seems to wake from his trance. His gaze, rather than being focused on the people passing immediately in front of him, starts sweeping the street as it becomes deserted. Finally he sees a familiar sight, that of a wispy creature in an overlarge coat.

With thick and fumbling fingers, Karak pulls out a filter mask and carefully puts it on. He did not breath, but he still circulated air into him to speak. He had had to face dust storms in the desert and they were still uncomfortable if they filled him up with sand - it would take days to empty. Besides, he wasn't sure this "grey death" he heard people speak of would affect him, and he wasn't about to risk it.

Once the street is mostly clear, he steps out into the street and makes his way towards Araz. 6 inches taller, twice as heavy and broad, and far more solid than the salesman, Karak tries to be as unthreatening as possible. "May you have a good day, Master Araz," he says in his slow, deep voice by ways of introduction, "I was hoping to discuss a new purchase. The mercury you found for me was of good quality. There are a few other materials I need."

Fluff buying only; Karak has no reason to go into the tavern, but will follow Araz in if he would rather carry out the discussion inside.

Ascy
2012-02-05, 06:28 AM

Since Araz wears his dust mask regularly anyways, he isn't too concerned with the frequent sand and silt storms that sweep through the streets.
As the first wave of stinging particles seems to lose it's intensity, he can make out a vaguely familiar silhouette coming out of the cloud.
When he sees the bulky shape of a previous customer moves towards him, he intuitively moves his hand under his cloak a bit closer to the hilt of his knife.
When the hulking creature starts to talk, he relaxes a little. He remembered this strange fellow, he paid well for some pretty exotic ingredients.
Such individuals sparked his interest, as they stood out from the masses of poor men buying tools of inferior quality they could hardly afford.

With a wide gesture of his arms, he greets the figure.
"Oh yes, a very good day. I'm very pleased to hear that you are content with my wares.
As i told you, i can acquire the best quality products in the region, and for a budget, no less.
But as you see, the storm is just catching it's breath, and soon i wouldn't even be able to count your coins. Heh heh heh!"
Araz looks down the street for a place that is more suited for a deal.
Anyways. Perhaps we should discuss our transaction in a place that is more.. shielded from the elements. The Tail is just a couple of feet away, we might get there before the storm grows again."
He points to a building, just a block down the road, which seems to get more crowded every second.

Emongnome777
2012-02-05, 09:05 AM

Elebon hears the wind pick up and the yells for silt wind. On cue, the workers start boarding up the windows while the people outside start scurrying inside. He asks for a refill of his broy when the bartender becomes available. He also keeps a tight grip on his coin purse. A crowded room is a haven for pick-pockets, especially elves. Those that mistake him for a short elf usually keep just outside arm's reach, which is fine by Elebon. He does turn around long enough to see who has come inside, while downing another mug of the disgusting swill. Balic, for all its flaws, is haven to quite an assortment of bizarre and unique people.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-05, 09:41 AM

Anyways. Perhaps we should discuss our transaction in a place that is more.. shielded from the elements. The Tail is just a couple of feet away, we might get there before the storm grows again."
He points to a building, just a block down the road, which seems to get more crowded every second.

Karak turns its head to stare at the building, taking more time than you'd think such a shack would require. "That is acceptable. However, it is also dangerous. Many individuals have entered it carrying weapons. Some did not look trustworthy. After you," he ends, shifting is body to allow the smaller man passage.

The Underlord
2012-02-05, 10:58 AM
Cha'Ka (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=363606), Druid Thri-keen
He puts on his filter mask. He looks around to search for a shelter, Deciding the Tail was the best place, he decides to enter the building. Once inside he kindly declines to have any of there drink, knowing that he should keep alert.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-05, 12:39 PM
Hastur smirks at the poor devils caught outside in the silt. He hoped that the kreen bouncer wouldn't let anyone else in once the winds picked up. He didn't enjoy wearing a silt mask, because it interfered with his drinking, and he hoped that the bar would be closed up tight enough that he wouldn't have to wear it. Besides, it would be fun to see the people caught outside squirm. Fill this up with the meanest stuff you've got back there. he said to the bartender, handing him his hip flask, then settled down by the window to watch the fun.

Ravian
2012-02-05, 01:56 PM
The Tari's Tail:
The workers finish putting up the silt blinds just in time before the wind starts picking up. Unfortunately while the heavy blinds are effective in preventing silt from getting inside, they also block most of the ventilation. This in conjunction with the heat wave and the large amount of people inside causes the tavern to quickly turn into an oven. Many people even decide to leave and try to get to their own less crowded homes, prefering to brave the silt rather than boil inside. Most however simply buckle down and order more broy, which now strangely costs 50% more than it did when the silt wind started. Most people don't notice, others simply pay the extra coin, deciding that they rather pay extra then get in a fight in this heat.

A few hours pass and the sun begins to set, but few can tell from the blinds and the silt. Suddenly a knock at the door is heard over the roar of the wind. The Thri-Kreen bouncer opens a small slot in the door to look out, before quickly unlatching the door. A large minotaur carrying several crates squeezes through the door, followed by several humans carrying smaller boxes and packs, they all wear filter masks and chitin armor, with bone-tipped spears across their backs. Two more figures come in before the door shuts behind them, both wearing filter masks and clinging to each other. They go up to the bar before removing their filter masks, revealing a tough but refined looking male human, and a female elf with silky black hair and darting green eyes. The man speaks to the bartender in a Patrician accent that marks him as nobility.
Two rooms if you will please. One for our guards and your best quality for me and my wife.
At the sound of the last word, most everyone in the tavern looks up in suprise, and a few in disapproval.

Ascy
2012-02-05, 02:15 PM
"Heh. People in the slums of Balic carry weapons, color me shocked."
The hooded figure shakes his head ever so slightly, and you can hear a quiet chuckle.
"Well, i am sure that you can keep yourself safe, as can i.", he adds, and points at the big thigh bone the creature is carrying.

With that he makes his way to the tavern, wrapping his clothes tighter around him. He wasn't overly comfortable walking in front of the strange customer, but the weather didn't allow for longer discussions.
And after all, a strong drink seems like good idea.

((chronologically, that was probably before the two visitors came in, right?))

Ravian
2012-02-05, 04:13 PM
((chronologically, that was probably before the two visitors came in, right?))

(( yes I apologize for posting before that dialogue was finished, we are now at the point of the visitors though))

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-05, 04:20 PM

(As we enter the bar)

"Well, i am sure that you can keep yourself safe, as can i.", he adds, and points at the big thigh bone the creature is carrying.

"Indubitably. Nevertheless, when I am attacked, people are hurt and suffer. Sometimes they stop living. That is not a desirable outcome," he says in his careful voice. "I understand it is against the law to willingly participate in the activity of causing others to cease to live. But it is unclear how one could demonstrate his unwillingness at a later time. It is thus preferable to not participate at all."
Ascy, it is fairly common to use this form of "halved post" to continue with RP that happens chronologically before the action. If done too much - for example, if we had four segments rather than two - it can get confusing. But as long as we keep it to just two, or three tops, its a good way to both finish of the conversations and allow flexibility to the game, which PbP desperately needs. Can't have the whole group waiting because two players are having a private talk, after all.

-----ooOoo-----

(As the couple enters the bar)

Karak is still standing near Araz, having concluded their business but with no particular desire to leave, has fallen back into the passive watching of the crowd he exhibited outside. As the group comes in, he notes the weapons and people, and the crowd's reaction, but sees no correlation between them. He files the situation for later review.

Emongnome777
2012-02-06, 10:49 AM

"You want what for another mug of broy?", Elebon laments to the bartender, but to no avail. He decides to sit there and nurse the remaining swig in his mug instead of buying another at the inflated price.

He mutters to himself for several minutes until he notices the crowd look toward the front. He follows their eyes to the man and elf who just entered.

"Two rooms if you will please. One for our guards and your best quality for me and my wife."

"...my wife."

"...MY WIFE."

The statement hit him like a ton of granite. This situation was amazingly bizarre for several reasons. Why would a noble human want an elf for a wife? Why would an elf forsake her clan for a human? Why is a noble at this run-down tavern in the middle of a silt wind storm?

Elebon shouldn't care one way or the other (unless they wanted to buy him drinks), but this hit him more than he like to admit. His mother is the daughter to the chief of their elven clan. She claimed she was raped by his father, but rumors had that it was a secret tryst. If not for her standing, she would've been expelled from her clan. The clans that ran the Estuary were xenophobic, so he assumed that all elves were that way. These two brought up old memories and made him wonder if he wasn't the product of some forbidden love.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-06, 07:43 PM
Hastur's intrest was spiked when the nobleman revealed that he was married to an elf. Not that he had anything against elves. Some of his best friends were elves, not to mention business partners. Then again, being Hastur's friend or business partner didn't exactly make the person a saint.

Hastur was dissapointed that the blinds were to thick to see if anyone was suffering outside. It was hot over by the window, especial seeing that a few individuals with the same interest in watching other peoples suffering had come over, and they brought their damned body heat with them.

He desired a bit of companionship, so he went over and sat down by a short, lonely looking elf sitting alone and gawking at the nobleman.

Can you believe it? Married to an elf, and a nobleman too. Don't suppose they plan on siering any kids? Irresponsible, i call it, bringing a whelp into a world where he'd be hated.

Though it seemed uncharacteristic of a character like himself, Hastur was foned of kids. Perhaps it was why he had a couple somewhere in every part of town, and a few other towns besides. Hastur drained his flask, and motioned to a near-by bar-wench.

A round for me my friend here, babe, and make sure it's strong enough to knock a mekelot off its feet.

((In case my description of the short elf is too vague, Hastur is talking to Elebon))

Emongnome777
2012-02-07, 08:06 AM

Having finally finished the last of his broy several minutes ago, Elebon was starting to sober up. He wasn't fully drunk (he isn't stupid enough to lose his wits in this part of the city-state), but the broy took the edge off so he didn't feel as bad about his situation.

While he was pitying the married couple (and himself), a rather gaunt human sad down beside him at the bar. He glanced at him while tightening his grip on his coin pouch, but said nothing.

Can you believe it? Married to an elf, and a nobleman too. Don't suppose they plan on siering any kids? Irresponsible, i call it, bringing a whelp into a world where he'd be hated.

Initially angered at the comment, Elebon responded, "Hey, I don't think you..."

A round for me my friend here, babe, and make sure it's strong enough to knock a mekillot off its feet.

At the sound of someone buying him a drink, he clears his throat and says, "oh, uh, hey, thanks." Receiving the drink (in clean glass!), he takes a sip and almost faints. It takes him a minute to blink away the lights flashing around his eyes before he can even speak. "Wow, that's some good stuff."

Carefully setting down the glass of liquid heaven (as he's now calling it), he takes in his new 'friend'. The gaunt human looks like he isn't long for this world and the liquor that they have should kill him, but he's taking it better than Elebon is. He shouldn't have reacted badly to the human's first comment. He was right, after all.

He smiles and extends his hand to shake. "My name is Elebon. Thanks for the drink, by the way. Unfortunately, humans and elves can all too easily produce children. And a hard life it is for their progeny. But they both will suffer as a result of their union. Some may say that their sacrifice is just 'love'. Ha! It's nothing but selfishness. That noble doesn't care that his beloved will never get to see her family again nor does the elf care that her husband will probably lose his standing, possibly his inheritance. They are fools. Don't pity their children, pity them." That last part was said with more disdain than he had intended to convey, but his drink was already starting to remove a few inhibitions.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-07, 04:42 PM
Hastur reached out to accept the handshake, but stopped for a moment, wiped it off on his coat, and then shook. You sure feel strongly about it, eh? he says, downing his drink in anouther gulp, and calling for anouther. Wonder what for they got all them gaurds? Must be something plenty important too be sure. While waiting for his drink, Hastur pulls out a long pipe and a pouch filled with some crushed up powder, fills his pipe, lights it, and then inhales from deeply. He pauses to blow a pretty smoke ring, but the sight was somewhat detracted from by the hacking smoker's caugh that followed it. Want a light? Hastur says to elebon, offering him the pouch. I'm sure i've anouther pipe with me in here somewhere. My name's Hastur, by the way.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-07, 04:44 PM
((My bad, double post.))

Emongnome777
2012-02-07, 09:13 PM

Hastur reached out to accept the handshake, but stopped for a moment, wiped it off on his coat, and then shook. You sure feel strongly about it, eh? he says, downing his drink in anouther gulp, and calling for anouther. Wonder what for they got all them gaurds? Must be something plenty important too be sure.

Elebon shakes Hastur's hand then gingerly takes another sip of the strong drink, this time staving off the dancing stars enough to keep his wits about him. The warmth of the drink is not mixing well with the stagnant heat in the tavern, however.

"I can't say why he has his guards here. Is it illegal for a patrician to have an elf for a wife in Balic? It's something worth keeping an eye out for. Guards means the potential for trouble, after all."

Want a light? Hastur says to Elebon, offering him the pouch. I'm sure i've anouther pipe with me in here somewhere. My name's Hastur, by the way.

"Well met, Hastur. I think I'll pass on the pipe. One vice per day is enough for me", Elebon says, holding up his drink, still half full.

Ravian
2012-02-08, 11:33 AM
Tari's Tail:
The couple proceed up to their room, followed by the minotaur carrying most of the crates and baggage. The 3 human guards instead stay at the bar, clearly exhausted from their ordeals. They order a round of Broy and quickly chug it down, caring not for price nor quality.

Emongnome777
2012-02-08, 09:19 PM
Hastur's drink was certainly having a strong effect on Elebon, because he would normally never have the audacity (or folly?) to approach the guards now seated and drinking. Or perhaps he was just desperate for work or at least something to do except drink all day.

"Excuse me", Elebon says to Hastur as he gets up and walks over to the guards.

Standing over them, he introduces himself. "Greetings. I couldn't help but notice your unusual charge. I'm sure you're exhausted. I'm not here to ask questions or stir up anything. To be honest, I wanted to offer my employment. I think I can offer a ... unique insight and value to your guardship."

Ravian
2012-02-09, 11:43 AM
The Tari's Tail
The Guard glares at Elebon, distrustful of his elvish looks. He grunts at him Listen Buddy, we're not recruiting anyone so why don't you go bother someone else?
The Guard next to him younger and less experienced looking, turns to his coworker perplexed
I thought master Damacules said he was looking for mercenaries to help with the He...
The third guard cuts him off
His problem, you mean... glaring at the younger guard
Anyway it's not our job, you want some coin bring it up with Damacules. Me, I just trudged 10 miles through a Silt Wind and I'd rather try to drown the memory in Broy then talk with a bunch of ruffians.

Emongnome777
2012-02-09, 02:28 PM
Elebon listens intently to what's said (and what's not said) by the guards. He's actually surprised to hear about an offer of work. That was just a pretense to finding out more about this unique situation. Nevertheless, mercenary work was appealing right now and worth following up on. With a slight bow toward the guards, he says, "my thanks for the information. I will surely follow up on it. Damacules is the noble human? I would speak with him now, but I'm sure his attention is elsewhere. Will meeting him in the morning be appropriate?"

OOC
Diplomacy Check to establish a friendly rapport with the guards: [roll0]

I meant to do this in the previous post.

Ascy
2012-02-09, 02:40 PM
Leaning back in his chair, Araz takes another sip of his drink.
It wasn't very good, but every bit of liquid was welcome after a storm.

He didn't care for the strange couple's relationship at all; it wasn't his cup of brew who mixed with whom, after all.
What did pique his interest however were the crates their beastly servant carried.
The man was obviously wealthy, probably a noble, which meant that he might also carry items of interest.

I should probably try to have a little chat in the morning, and..
While the half-elemental was planning out how to get a bit of a profit out of the situation, he observes a small figure walking up to the guardsmen, starting a conversation.
"Oh eat silt, i won't lose that one to a newbie.."
he curses under his breath.
He missed a couple of good deals before, because he was not quick enough - a mistake that he doesn't intend to repeat.

He chugs down the rest of the bitter beverage, stretches his shoulders, and slowly stands up.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-09, 04:05 PM
Hastur follows elebon too the guards, and listens intently to what is said. Mercenary work? Sounds like fun. I could use the coin. I'll bet it's got something to do with those boxes. Need 'um to be protected or what? Hastur sets his hands on the lid of a box, searching for an opening. What've you got in there anyhow?

Ravian
2012-02-09, 05:52 PM
The third guard, closest to the boxes places himself between the boxes and Hastur, hand ready to draw his spear if necessary. Watch it, nothing interesting in there but clothing, which reminds me turning to the younger guard he motions to the boxes Jak take these to our room, I don't want anyone snooping through them. Also make sure lord and lady Damacules are comfortable, I don't want Gurz breaking anything trying to help them unpack. The young guard quickly salutes and carries the boxes upstairs, straining slightly under the weight. He turns to Elebon, but still keeps his eye on Hastur suspiciously Master Damacules may be coming down shortly, he often enjoys a quick drink before he retires. If you wish to hire yourself you may speak with him then he then sits down and returns to his drink.

The Underlord
2012-02-09, 06:17 PM
The thri-keen watches and listens closely as the people speak. He notes the more experienced guard, and the less experienced guards. He also takes note of the figures talking to the guards. Maybe I should talk to him. No, he will be bombarded by questions. I will wait to see how it plays out

Emongnome777
2012-02-10, 08:38 AM
Elebon nods to the young guard. "Again, my thanks." He steps away, but stays close to the steps. He starts to take another sip of his drink, but decides otherwise. Damacules won't be interested in a drunk half-elf, and probably not a sober one, either, he thinks, but it's worth a shot.

Ascy
2012-02-11, 05:17 PM

Araz continues to casually walk through the tavern room, and leans on the wall near the stairs.
Paying attention to keep his gaze away from the elvish looking fellow, he keeps his senses alert. His thoughts race while he tries to think of a good way to offer his services to this stranger without appearing suspicious.
In this part of the city, everybody usually expected the worst, and swindlers and frauds were almost as frequent as honest traders.
But then, not every deal the half-elemental made was "legal" in the strictest sense of the word, too..

Ravian
2012-02-13, 01:15 PM
The Tari's Tail
A couple of hours pass and the silt wind finally begins to stop. Many people with homes to go to leave, but some simply stay because of the hour, with the twins moons of Ral and Guthay well into the sky. As the blinds begin to go up a slight crimson light floods into the broy house, and more than a few peer up into the sky at the strange new feature of the Athasian night sky. A deep red comet, almost the same shade of the sun, hovers on the Eastern Horizon, alomost like a bright red star hovering in the East. However the astronomical body has indeed been traversing, if at a very slow rate, to the West. Most Balicans think little about the comet, but rumor has it that some crazies are fixated on the thing.
Around this time, the noble you saw earlier descends the staircase. He has changed from the rough desert ware he entered with and now wears a White robe, with a red undercoat, a small copper pendant hangs around his neck, but he wears little other adornment. As he enters the bar room, the two remaining guards stand at attention and take places beside him. He smiles at their diligance, and takes a seat at a nearby table, looking around at the surroundings

Ravian
2012-02-13, 01:16 PM
Gah! Double Post!

Emongnome777
2012-02-15, 08:44 AM
Weird, the link to this thread in my subscription list doesn't show any new posts since Ascy's, else I would've posted sooner.

Elebon finds himself surprisingly nervous in anticipation of meeting the noble. He is tempted to take another 'jolt' of the liquor he was given, but passes. Though discussion of the comet's red light is going on, he ignores it.

Once the noble returns from upstairs, Elebon stands up, dusts himself off, and walks confidently toward the him. He glances at the two guards, making sure they don't make a move to halt his approach. Getting into a fight in front of the noble would be one of the worst possible results.

With a deep bow toward the noble, Elebon says, "Master Damacules, my name is Elebon. Your guards have been gracious in letting me know of an employment opportunity. Though few details were spoken, they indicated that you were in the market for some mercenaries. I wish to offer my services in that capacity."

OOC
Diplomacy Check: [roll0] - Just trying to make a good first impression.

EDIT: Gah, a 5 and 2 for my first two d20 rolls. I hope things pick up once combat rolls around (pun intended :smallwink:).

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-15, 10:29 AM
Weird, the link to this thread in my subscription list doesn't show any new posts since Ascy's, else I would've posted sooner.

Same here. Second time this has happened to me, too, with an IC thread.

Karak remains patiently standing in a corner, content in listening all around. As the red comet peaks over the horizon, Karak notes it and adds it to his recollections, but doesn't look at it. He finds it unthreatening, but understands some don't, and to try to understand the situation, he listens to any rumours about it.

[roll0] (and passive 17) to hear any rumours in the tavern; Karak will pay special attention to any about the comet, but if anything else interesting catches his ear, he'll listen to that as well

When the nobleman rejoins the floor, Karak graces him with a long, searching look. He is clearly an outlier in the tavern, and as such there is an increased risk in his presence, particularly where thievery is concerned. With slight puzzlement, he also notices how several people approach him, and not quite understanding the reason for it, he devotes a large part of his attention to the unfolding scene.

Ravian
2012-02-17, 01:13 PM
The Tari's Tail:
The Noble looks Elabon up and down, looking a tad suprised when he notices his clearly Elvish features. He frowns then keeps his voice down: You aren't with the Running Coins are you? No.. that can't be right. he thinks for a few moments before glancing up again Oh, please excuse me, my mind was somewhere else for a moment. Mercenary work? Well I was hoping that I could count on my guards to keep quiet on it, but you look like you'd do. he glances around for a moment, suddenly noticing a nearby Elf with a small tattoo on his cheek, paying close attention to their conversation. The Patrician closes his eyes,

Elabon:
Elabon feels the familiar indicators of the Way of the Unseen being focused. You can half-see a small Psionic probe in the form of a small bird drift toward the Elf at the bar. It disappears as it comes into contact with the elf.
After a few moments the Elf stands up with a confused look on his face, puts on his filter mask, and then leaves the bar, still slightly confused.

The Noble smiles and turns his attention back to Elabon Now then, where were we?

Emongnome777
2012-02-18, 02:58 PM
A raised eyebrow is the only indication Elebon gives to the noble that he detected the use of the Way. He smiles politely at Damacules as he takes a seat at his table and says, "Please don't blame your guards; they obviously have your best interest at heart. I inquired about opportunities and one was favorably disposed toward me and made brief mention of work. I don't know about these 'Running Coins' you speak of, but I have no Balican affiliations, I assure you. I would like to know more about this work, however, and whether you will need anyone else. I met a human a few minutes ago that seemed interested in the work as well."

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-18, 07:25 PM
Hastur slinks a touch closer to the noble. Sir, I don't know anything about a band known as the running coins, but I do know that my coins ran off awhile ago, buying drinks for myself and this mug here. Hastur indicates to Elebon. And I'm plenty interested in refilling my purse. Mayhaps whatever job you need done would benifit from a bit of discretion?

Ascy
2012-02-19, 10:37 AM
Araz (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=363389), Half-Elemental Artificer

From his standing point, Araz could pick up most of the dialogue between the three characters.
His eyes widen for just a fraction of a second; He completely misjudged the situation!
He's not looking to sell his stuff, he's looking for hired swords.. well this changes things up.
His mind immediately starts analyzing the situation, trying to find ways to exploit the situation to his own advantage. While he was not overly fond of getting his hands dirty, this offered a unique opportunity.

Realizing that he has to act quickly, if he doesn't want to raise even more suspicion, the half-elemental uneasily decides to improvise.
He casually walks over to the small elf, and lays his hand on his (Elebon's) shoulder.
Offering a wide smile, he addresses the human nobleman:
"Ah, good sir, i see you have already met these fine people. It is true, we might just be the right ones in this desolate quarter of the city to help you."
He shoots a quick glance towards Hastur and Elebon, and gives them a subtle wink.
"You will find that we offer services most useful for a variety of discreet tasks."

Araz is completely playing risk here, as you probably never met him before. I figured it would be the best way to get this rolling, but it's of course your character's choice if they want to play along with this. Plus, technically he never said that he did know them. ;)

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-19, 12:34 PM
Hastur looks up at the robed man playing as their associate. He smirks and thinks Two can play at that game. He clears his throat, and begins speaking.

Ah yes, let me introduce my, ah, assistant. He may be a little new to the mercenary game, but he's learning quickly. While I know that you may not need so many of us, I'm sure we can work out some sort of discount deal for an apprentice mercenary.

As he speaks, Hastur throws his arm around Araz and whispers Your move, shady.

Bluff check- [roll0]

((OOC- Hastur's plan is that Araz won't be able to deny the claims without revealing his ruse, but i'm sure that a man of as shady a trade as Araz can figure out how to flip things around.))

Ravian
2012-02-19, 12:43 PM
The Tari's Tail:
The noble looks at Hastur and Araz, a slight look of suspicion crossing his face until Hastur starts talking, removing all doubt from his mind that they all (supposedly) know one another.
No I'm sure we can work out some kind of a deal. You all look capable enough. If I may introduce myself, my name is Ageiron Damacules. I own a small estate and olive orchard outside of the city. But unfortunately a small bit of... trouble has forced me, my wife and our guards to temporarily relocate. So fairly straightforward, deal with the problem, I pay you and everything works out. Alright?

Ascy
2012-02-19, 01:49 PM
Araz (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=363389), Half-Elemental Artificer

Trying his best to keep up his smile, Araz nods.
"Certainly, Master Damacules. If you describe the way to your compound, we'll head there at once."

The situation went better than expected, but Araz still felt uneasy.
Being outnumbered by the two other mercenaries, he feared to become "obsolete" after the job is done. And he knew what that meant in a world as harsh as Athas.

"The four of us, that is."
Looking at Hastur, he points back to the massive figure standing nearly motionless at his table.
"I've already informed our big friend back there that we might have a contract. He's just as eager to get out of town as we are. It'll be just like old times!"

Ravian
2012-02-19, 06:16 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Damacules nods, oblivious to the string of lies being passed back and forth to him by the "mercenary company"
Well if you're sure, I must warn you that those things killed a half dozen of my guards, they're absolutely vicious little brutes.

Emongnome777
2012-02-19, 09:56 PM

Elebon watches the exchange, equally oblivious to the truth as was the Patrician. He is wary of taking on associates, recalling a trader once tell him, working alone on Athas was deadly. Working with a group you don't know can be worse. Elebon, however, was no fool. He would keep close watch and either run or take a preemptive strike, depending on the situation.

After Damacules last comment, Elebon feels like he should speak up. "What are these vicious little brutes you speak of and how many are there?" He badly wanted to negotiate a price, but couldn't risk alienating the Patrician and currently his only hope at decent-paying work that didn't involve silt skimmers.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-19, 10:34 PM

Karak's keen ears pick up on the conversation between the nobleman and all the shady characters, and when he is referred to by Ascy, his brow furrows briefly. Ponderously, he moves towards the group. His heavy footsteps raise small puffs of dust from the floor's packed earth, although its unstoppable gait its somewhat marred by him knocking over a chair with his knee and almost knocking a patron off his chair.

As he arrives, he taps Araz on the shoulder, and in his low rumbling voice he says, "May I enquire what is going on here, Master Araz?"

Ascy
2012-02-20, 04:40 AM

At the sound of these words, the half-elemental flinches subtly, before turning his head.
"Ah yes. You remember the special deal we were talking about? Well, the opportunity has been given. We can go at once, Master Damacules here has tasked us with a mission as exciting as it is profitable."
He looks his strange customer firmly in the eyes.
"I have a feeling that this -will- definitely be worth our time."

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-20, 11:19 AM
"I have a feeling that this -will- definitely be worth our time."

Karak is silent for a moment, deep in contemplation of Araz's words.

Then, when the pause was about to get embarrassing, Karak says, "Very well. I will be guided by you in this, Master Araz." Then, turning to the nobleman, he adds, "I too would like to know what precisely these pests in your olive grove are, and how they came to be there."

The Underlord
2012-02-20, 12:51 PM
The thri-keen decides to join in now or never he walks over "I told you to tell me before running off and going on a adventure" he turns to the nobleman "Forgive me if they have been rude, they can be impulsive at times. Though we are interested in working for you."

Ravian
2012-02-20, 01:10 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Damacules looks suprised in finding that he had recruited an entire "Mercenary Company" in such a sort period of time, he looks over the group assembled before him and nods
Yes my mistake, I got ahead of myself. he clears his throat
Hejkin. Vicious little burrowing creatures. They had always been skulking around nearby, but they had never done more than steal olives and occasionally kill a slave. That's why I bought an entire stock of tremor-sensitive guard drakes to watch the place for them. It was only recently that they actually started attacking in force, they killed a few dozen slaves in the first attack, and pretty soon most of the rest decided to choose the desert over sticking around with the Hejkin. I can't say I could blame them.
They had me, Chaani, uh that's my wife, and our house guards holed up in our house, until today. They disappeared, I guess they could sense the Silt Wind and decided to dig in to their burrow. So that's when we decided to get to Balic and see if we could find some mercenaries to solve the problem.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-20, 04:17 PM
Hejkin.

What does Karak know about these "Hejkin"?
[roll0]
Take 10 for 19, as well.

Emongnome777
2012-02-22, 10:56 AM
Elebon thinks to himself, hejkin...hejkin. Where have I heard that name?, before it hits him. "Oh!", he exclaims outloud without realizing it. He coughs and says, "sorry, I remember now what I heard about hejkin from a dwarf I worked with on a silt skimmer." With a nod to the Patrician, he continues, "Vicious little borrowing creatures is an accurate description; the dwarf used similar language. From what I gathered, he was in a mine destroyed by hejkin. They are small, use the Way to travel through earth and stone, and can be very aggressive and mad. They live in caves but despise worked stone. They mark the walls with strange, psionically-powered runes. They are night-creatures and can be affected by astronomical phenomena, driving them into a frenzy. They love treasure and often associate with burrowing insects, such as ankhegs, kruthiks, and giant ants."

Elebon rubs his chin and adds, "perhaps something has provoked the hejkin, because attacking en masse doesn't sound like what they would do in normal circumstances. Do you have any enemies, master Damacules, that would and could incite this behavior to cause you harm?"

Ravian
2012-02-22, 01:03 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Damacules pauses before answering
While I have made enemies over the years, I believe you may have answered your own question.
He gets up and guestures out at the red-tinted night, pointing at the crimson light hovering in the East
Would you suppose that the comet could qualify as Astronomical phenomena?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-22, 02:04 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Would you suppose that the comet could qualify as Astronomical phenomena?

"It would, indeed," says Karak. "That makes these hejkin a danger. You were just the first to feel their destructive impulse. They should be stopped before they damage life further. It was fortunate that Master Araz found you. The supply of oil must not be compromised. We will need the directions to your grove."

Karak's booming voice seems rather disjointed as it delivers his thoughts one after another, with little connection between them.

Emongnome777
2012-02-23, 08:50 AM
Elebon had completely forgotten about the comet, despite how obvious it is. I've been so preoccupied with my own situation, he thinks, I've paid scant attention to what's going on around me. I'm starting to act like my elven kin, thinking only of myself. Yeesh.

Clearing his throat and trying not to appear embarrassed over missing the obvious, he says, "certainly, the comet could be a good reason for such activity. I was simply trying to eliminate any other possibilities. Frankly, I'm prepared to handle the hejkin, but finding the guard force of another Patrician ransacking your place isn't what I'm signing up for." Not sure if he'll buy it, but it's the best I could do in short notice.

Elebon Glances around at the rest of the group then leans forward toward the Patrician, smiles and adds, "now, as soon as we clear up the business of compensation, we'll be on our way."

Ravian
2012-02-23, 10:08 AM
The Tari's Tail
Ah yes, compensation...
He thinks for a moment before speaking
Would 500 ceramic total be sufficient? Also I believe there's an old shield that my grandfather used in the legions. It was too bulky to bring, but I'm sure it's just collecting dust in the villa's basement. It's supposed to have a Psionic enchantment of some sort.
He then turns to Karak
My estate is about 10 miles from here, if you started in a couple of hours, you could probably get there by daybreak, when they were all asleep. He pulls out a bit of parchment and sketches a rough map of the countryside, marking the location of his estate upon it. He hands it to Karak
This should get you there.

Emongnome777
2012-02-24, 10:34 AM
Elebon nods to the Patrician, considering his offer. He thinks, hmm, looks like 100 each, unless we lose some. I don't want to lose anyone, though. It'll affect our ability to finish the mission. No finish, no compensation at all. It's not worth it. Looks like I'll try protecting this bunch to make sure we succeed. Maybe the large creature can help with that part.

"While I cannot speak for these others, I find the compensation acceptable and am willing to start at the appointed time."

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-24, 04:56 PM
"While I cannot speak for these others, I find the compensation acceptable and am willing to start at the appointed time."

"I second these words," says Karak. Then, he turns around and looks at the windows, still boarded against the winds and sand. "I am ready to leave at this time. However, it might be uncomfortable to move in the Silt Wind."

Ravian
2012-02-24, 08:38 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Damacules guestures to the window You needn't concern yourself about the wind, it appears to have mostly died down he hands Elabon a small key This is to the basement, there should be an outside entrance. I will be keeping the other keys, so please do not snoop around my house. he gives a slight glance towards Hastur and Araz, no doubt the shadiest members of your group.

Ascy
2012-02-25, 07:34 AM

"No need to worry, good sir.
Here in Balic, a man is only as good as his word. We will make haste, and clean your estate of this vermin at once."

With a sharp movement of his head, Araz points the rest of the "company" towards the tavern's exit.
He wonders what will happen, as soon as they leave the city doors behind..

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-25, 09:47 AM
Hold on there, kid. I need to make a little more discussion price-wise with our employer here. Hastur gestures Araz to the noble. An older mercenary will take some time to talk these things out first. Get some more experiance and you'll understand eventually. Hastur smirks. He then turns to Damacules.
Apprentices. But, on to business. I'm not quite sure that 500 ceramic is going to cover things, with all do respect, m'lord. You've said yourself, these Hedgy-kin things have already killed some of your gaurds, ransaked your estate, and run you out of house and home. This proves we ain't dealing with nothing like a simple vermin problem. These are vicious little buggers to start with, and we're dealing with them under conditions when they are at their absolute worst. I'd venture to say that these are a good bit more dangerous then your average bunch of bandits and rogues. Hastur says, grinning roguishly.
I mean, they can burrow as natural as we can walk, set up psionic traps, and are never alone. In fact, if what Elebon is saying is true, there's a fair chance that there could be giant ants, and worse, ankhegs with 'um. Hastur leans in a bit closer to Damacules.
So, you see m'lord, I'm starting to think that just 500 ceramic may not be, ah, appropriate. I'm sure we can work something out.

So many edits for rolling idiocy.

GAH! Roller isn't working. I'll try it again in a 2nd post. Apologize in advance for double posts.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-25, 09:57 AM
diplomancy check [roll0]

Insight check, to see if Damacules is vunerable to intimidation, or some other method. [roll1]

Ravian
2012-02-25, 10:40 AM
The Tari's Tail:
The noble is not overly impressed with Hastur's argument. I am sure any other expenses you may have would be covered by the inclusion of my shield, I have no doubt it is at least equal in value of my monetary payment. his face betrays nothing to Hastur's observations.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-25, 11:27 AM
Ah. I see. But Hastur was less than satisfied. He didn't really care about special shields, preferring to leave such things to the grunts. But he was worried that they wouldn't be able to pawn the item, seeing that some of his new companions might have ideas of keeping it. And he wasn't sure that the taker would forfeit their share of the cash, either. Hastur figured he was on good terms with Elebon, and Kreen weren't particularly savvy with coin, so Hastur wasn't worried about getting stiffed there, either. But he wasn't sure about shady and his friend, muscles McBonebreaker there. Muscles would most likely be looking to rid himself of his lousy mekillot scale, and probably wouldn't be keen on giving up his share of the loot. He also had shady to back him up. Hastur wasn't terribly worried about them individually, but together, he risked ending up compromised.

Hastur thinks back to the noble's worry over that running coins bunch and tries to remember if he actually has heard of them before. While he does, he leans over to Elabon and mutters You want to help me out here friend?
streetwise [roll]1d20+10[\roll]

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-25, 11:34 AM
((God smartphones are annoying))
[roll0]

Emongnome777
2012-02-25, 01:06 PM
Hastur's 'concerns' over the negotiated price seems to have soured the discussion, but he had legitimate concerns. When he leaned over and asked for help, Elebon winced mildly, but quickly composed himself.

He looks at the noble and says, "I think my... friend has some valid concerns, though the offer remains generous. Perhaps we should negotiate a price based on how many of those vermin we actually need to kill in order to secure your home. How's this: 25 ceramic pieces per hejkin we kill with proof with a minimum of 400 total paid for our troubles and time. That way, my friends and I aren't feeling like we're going to be ripped off if there turns out to be a major infestation of those creatures and you, my good sir, can potentially save money on this deal if there aren't too many of them left. Also, should I be the one to possess the shield, I will certainly reduce my share appropriately to compensate. Does this sound fair to everyone?"

Diplomacy Check to sway the noble: [roll0]

Ravian
2012-02-25, 01:25 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Damacules considers Elabon's offer
That seems satisfactory. Bring me the left ear as proof he pauses for a moment My that sounded morbid... but it seems acceptable. Are we in agreement?

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-25, 08:30 PM

"I will abide by this accords, even accepting a lessened payment if I take a liking to this shield, so long as the proponents of the deal," he says, looking at Elebon and Hastur, "also accept lessened payment should there be fewer than twenty hejkin."

The Underlord
2012-02-26, 05:24 PM
The thri-keen watches as the negotiating go on. "Either deal is good with me, though I would prefer the second one. I'd like to examine the shield, even though I probably wouldn't use it."

Ascy
2012-02-27, 12:41 PM

Araz mumbles a quick "Fine by me", slightly anxious to get on the move.

((OOC: Araz has nothing more he wants to know from the noble, so far))

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-27, 05:01 PM
Pleased with the new deal, Hastur feals a lot better. He hated getting the wrong end of a deal, and things had come out nicely. Everyone had at least agreed to give up their payment if they took the shield, but wether their words were good or not was yet to be seen. Pulling himself up from his chair, Hastur took a long drag on his pipe, and then spoke. Well, it's good we could all come to an agreement. I see no reason to hang around here much longer. Time is money, and I always seem to be short on both. Let's set off.

Ravian
2012-02-27, 05:54 PM
The Tari's Tail:
Damacules nods at the group, content with the terms and the quality of the party. Very well, I hope to expect you soon. If the job takes longer than the night, look for me at the Olive Tree, I intend to relocate to a slightly more... comfortable establishment tomorrow.

Emongnome777
2012-02-28, 12:16 PM
Elebon smiles and nods to the Patrician as he stands. "Very well, I'm ready to go now, but you suggested that we wait two hours then leave, which I'm fine with." He takes a moment to look over the rest of this group, none of which he's ever worked with before or even met. They seem to be competent at their own craft, he thinks, but I can't tell how they will deal with actual combat. No point in worrying about it now, we're in this together whether we like it or not.

Elebon spends the rest of the time making sure his armor and shield are ready for the beating they are going to take while talking to the rest. "My name is Elebon, by the way. I've seen some combat on a silt skimmer and some with my clan in the Estuary. Anyone else care to share something about themselves before I stick my neck out for you?", he asks with a smirk.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-29, 09:01 AM

"I have never been on a silt skimmer," says Karak. There is a pause. "A group of robbers attacked me in the desert. It was good thing. I now have armor. They did not make much sense. Most people don't."

He finally looks directly at Elebon, "Excuse me, but I am unsure what you mean by sharing. Did that help?"

Emongnome777
2012-02-29, 01:19 PM
Elebon slowly nods to Karak, still unsure what to make of this... person? "Umm, yeah, something like that. I'm just looking for a way to use our time here and on the way to Master Damacules' home. Better we be prepared to fight alongside each other as best we can."

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-02-29, 01:53 PM
Elebon slowly nods to Karak, still unsure what to make of this... person? "Umm, yeah, something like that. I'm just looking for a way to use our time here and on the way to Master Damacules' home. Better we be prepared to fight alongside each other as best we can."

"Understood." Karak is impassive for a minute, then suddenly adds, "It is traditional to imbibe alcohol prior to battle. Mock combat would prepare us in the way you suggest. Alcohol makes one a worse fighter. There is not enough space for a practice bout. My purpose in battle is defensive. I engage my targets in close combat and stop them from harming others. It is difficult to harm me."

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-02-29, 08:41 PM
Hastur smirks at the big fellow's thoughts about drinking before fighting. Hefting his glass, he says Go ahead and skip a drink yourself, big guy. I shoot straighter with a bellyfull of whisky myself. To back up his words, Hastur chugs down the other half of his third glass , some spilling out the edges of his mouth and dribbling through his beard, and then drops his glass, whips out his handcrossbows, and fires two shots at a dartboard across the room, with no regard for the current players. The first shot hits dead center, and the second splits the first in half, just as closs to the bullseye.

Ascy
2012-03-02, 02:45 AM

Araz relaxes a little, as he sees no open hostility against him in the faces of his involuntary companions. Upon seeing this display of marksmanship, his confidence in accomplishing their mission increases.
"Nice shooting. I'm in the alchemy business, myself. Also maintenance of weapons and armor, tinkering, a bit of everything to be honest."
Almost casually, he runs his hand over a dull knife lying on the table.
He picks it up and inspects the edge, then smirks slightly before throwing it aside.
Looking at Elebon, he adds:
"I'm sure this whole.. thing.. goes just swimmingly."

The Underlord
2012-03-04, 08:37 AM
"Well, as far as my abilities?" he looks around to make sure no one is watching. He slams his staff against the ground and morphs into a snake.

Ravian
2012-03-05, 05:26 PM
The Tari's Tail:
After you finish your introductions you wait about an hour before setting off into the Athasian night, the red light makes the streets much easier to navigate but the light adds a certain eerie feel to the Balican alleys that is difficult to explain. Despite the day's passing the heat has only continued, causing Hastur, Araz and Elabon to be sweating by the time they reach the gates, even Cha'Ka and Karak feel slightly uncomfortable in the heat. After a routine inspection by the guards, the party heads out to the estate

The Damacules Estate:
It is about dawn by the time you reach the small estate of Ageiron Damacules, the just rising sun's light clashes with the fading light of the comet, so the the sky looks like the two lights are battling one another for supremacy of the daybreak. You look upon a plain but stately stone villa standing between two groves of olive trees on either side. Slightly in front and to the left of the villa is a pool of water fed by a spigot connecting from the villa's wall. Right next to this pool is a simple stone door in the wall of the villa, while a much grander one of carved wood is set in the villa's center. Surrounding the estate are a series of large stone blocks, placed as if to serve as a border marker for the estate's boundaries.

Emongnome777
2012-03-06, 07:57 AM
The long trip there under the crimson gaze of the comet takes its toll on Elebon. Between the eerie red glow to the perpetual heat, he feels like he'd already been in battle all day. His armor is sticking to his skin, his alhulak's grip is wet with sweat, and his tattered shield is heavier for every mile he has to carry it. Despite having ran with an elven clan most of his whole life, he's never quite got used to the exertion. His weeks in Balic consisting of little more than drinking has only stripped him of what little stamina he may have had.

Nevertheless, the olive grove before him is a welcome sight. He removes the shield from his back, takes a firm grip of his alhulak and walks forward. "Damacules gave me the key to the cellar, which must be that door on the left. Looks like we can refill our waterskins here as well." Keeping an eye out, Elebon moves toward the door and pool.

Perception Check: [roll0]

Ascy
2012-03-06, 03:59 PM

All the anticipation of getting out of the city left Araz after a couple of minutes in the desert. The heat was harsh, even in the evening hours, and without any source of shadow (other than Karak), he soon felt the sweat run underneath his leather tunic.
As he lays eye on the estate, he can't help but to whistle in envy.

"Now that's a mighty fine house there. You want to go first?"
He points at Elebon, who already seemed to prepare for trouble.

Araz' bandaged hand vanishes inside the fold of his desert robes, appearing shortly afterwards with a shard of obsidian, about as long as his forearm.
He briefly inspects the blade, looking at the reflections on the edge, but finds everything to be in order.

"I think I'm more comfortable in the second row..",
he adds with a slight smile.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-06, 04:06 PM

Karak observes with curiosity the humans as the day gets hotter. They seem to be bothered by their sweat - maybe due to the expense of replacing the lost water - but he would prefer it to his own method of dealing with the heat. Which is to say, none. Step after step in the harsh sands only makes Karak hotter, and by the end of the trip, several of the runes in his body are white-hot, and his whole body feels overcooked. Looking longingly at the pool, he wonders if full immersion would be frowned upon.

"The air will soon grow cold," he says. "We probably should move to the cellar. It can be hazardous to go from heat to cold quickly."

Ravian
2012-03-09, 01:06 PM
The Damacules Estate:
As you approach the estate you notice clear signs of vandalism about the place. Olive branches lie strewn about, a pile of which have recently been burnt by the look of the ash and smoke. The walls of the villa have a number of broken rocks beside them, as if they were thrown at it. The pool, while not polluted, is still slightly muddy and more olive branches and leaves float atop it.

As you approach the standing stones that surround the estate you hear a reptilian growl. A brown-green lizard-like creature about the size of a dog suddenly leaps out from behind one of the olive trees. He rushes in front of you and takes a threatening position, showing its long needle-like fangs and opening a bright red frill around its neck. It continues growling but makes no move to strike, though it snaps at any who attempt to move closer.

Emongnome777
2012-03-09, 01:21 PM

Elebon raises his shield and stops in his tracks, keeping close eye on the strange lizard. Glancing back at the group, he says in a low tone, "Does anyone know what this thing is? It doesn't appear to be the kind of creature a hejkin works with, but I don't know for sure. We're here for the hejkin and I'd prefer not to get roughed up for a critter we aren't getting paid to kill. But I also won't hesitate to kill it if it's in our way of finishing this job. Can we go around it?"

Knowledge check to identify: [roll0] <-- Seriously? :smallsigh:

-01 Arcana
+01 Dungeoneering
-01 History
+01 Nature
-01 Religion
(yeah, my knowledge skills stink)

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-09, 01:24 PM

"Does anyone know what this thing is?"

Karak looks at it and searches his memory for any information he may have.
"I have never seen something like it," he says, simply.

Will edit when I see the result/get the info from DM if the roll is good enough.

Knowledge check to identify:
[roll0]
Good grief. Well, it's good we are getting rid of the 1s early, at least.

+1 Arcana
+2 Dungeoneering
+1 History
+9 Nature
+1 Religion

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-09, 04:50 PM
Hastur snorts. I don't give a damn what it is, I just want it out of my way. Hastur picks up a whipy olive branch nearby and smacks it against the ground near the lizard, cutting the air with a hiss and making a loud and stingy sound as it hits the dirt, throwing up dust. He brandishes it at the lizard, and steps forward menacingly.
Hey! Get out of here, ya filthy lizard! I'm warning you, I could use a lizard-skin belt! Move or you'll feel my boot in your worm-infested backside, you dirty, disease-carrying reptile! Hastur roars angerly, his face flushing red and spittal flying out at the lizard. He whips his branch about menacingly, and moves as if to kick the animal.

Intimidate Check-[roll0]

((I hope that lizard's more bark then bite, because i don't think that'll cut it. Sorry if i start a fight early))

Ascy
2012-03-09, 05:27 PM

Araz instinctively jumps a step back as the creature charges out of hiding.
In doing this, his left hand gets tangled up in his tunic, and he struggles for a second to get it free. After his first shock, he takes a good look at the passive animal.

"I got a bad feeling about this.. let's just hope this isn't Damacules' pet or something."
, he whispers at Elebon.

((Just to throw in my rolls, looking if we can get another 1 ;) ))
Knowledge Roll
[roll0]
+9 Arcana
+6 Dungeoneering
+9 History
+1 Nature
+4 Religion

Ascy
2012-03-09, 05:28 PM
((grr.. [roll0] ))

The Underlord
2012-03-09, 07:34 PM
"I may know what it is" He thinks about it. Ahhh, yes, this is one of the noble's guardian drakes .It is unlike most drakes I have seen, because it can detect tremors. I wonder where he got these. But no matter, they should not be a problem.
[roll0] nature
[roll1] dungeoneering

Ravian
2012-03-10, 02:01 PM
The Damacules Estate:
the lizard does not seem at all concerned by Hastur's waving branch. Though it does continue to hiss at the party, it does not take any movements towards them.

Ascy
2012-03-11, 07:14 AM

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure Damacules wouldn't like it if we kill his pet.
But, well, it looks stupid enough, so let's just get past it."

He draws a piece of dried meat from his backpack and throws it in the sand a couple of feet away from the entrance, hoping that the beast likes the taste as much as he does.

"Go, get it! Good stupid lizard!"

Ravian
2012-03-11, 11:06 AM
The Damacules estate:
The guard drake watches the food fly but makes no move towards it. You assume it has been trained too well. Suddenly however the drake tenses up. Its eyes widen, and it makes what you could best describe as a reptilian whimper, before rushing away into the olive groves.

Cha'Ka
You feel a slight rumble coming from beneath the ground

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-11, 03:36 PM

"Go, get it! Good stupid lizard!"

"If he can sense movement underground," says Karak, "it is likely upset by the pests we are here to expel. It may be trained to stop at the estate's borders. I believe he would have already attacked us otherwise. We should not antagonise it needlessly."

The Underlord
2012-03-11, 08:40 PM
The thri-keen pauses. "Hold on.... I feel a slight temor. It could be the hejkin!".

Emongnome777
2012-03-11, 09:17 PM
Elebon pauses. "I don't feel anything, but it would explain the drake taking off. Keep watch."

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-11, 09:27 PM

"Neither do I feel anything. But we should get ready in case they do come." Karak adjusts himself slightly, bringing his carapace and thigh to the combat position. "Distance yourselves from me. I will try to attract their attention."

After giving the group a moment to move away (1-2 squares), Karak suddenly jumps into the air, and falls with a resounding hit, his 300 pounds smashing into the hard ground. He repeats it twice more. "It is my hope and expectation that they will be attracted to me. Those of you that do not desire close combat may desire to stand back."

Ravian
2012-03-12, 07:16 PM
The Damacules Estate:
Karak's pounding says a series of shockwaves through the sand and Cha'Ka and feels the tremors pick up. Suddenly several hunched gibbering creatures like the ones Elabon describes burst from the ground. They leave no trace behind them, appearing for all intents and purposes as if they just rose from the earth like it was simple dust. Two pairs stand on either side of the path in front of you and you can see a slight static charge running between them. Another who is twitching erratically stands apart and lets out a loud high pitched gibber

Hastur:
The Hejkin is speaking in a primitive dialect of Dwarven, Intruders, Tresspasers, Enemies, Foes! Ants Ants Ants Ants!

Suddenly several Enormous Ants bigger than wolves burst from the Eastern Orchard. They scuttle erratically and pinch their mandibles madly, ready to rush towards you.

((Roll for Initiative! Gods I love saying that... I already placed you and the enemies on the battle map, so we'll start as soon as everyone has rolled))

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-12, 07:37 PM

"My ploy seems to have succeeded" says Karak, looking all around him at the creatures popping out of the ground.

[roll0]

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-12, 08:20 PM
Anyone up for a friendly wager on body counts? Wait, I misspoke; I mean a competitive wager on body counts. Hastur laughs rakishly as he whips out his hand crossbows.
Initiative- [roll0]

((yayy I get combat advantage on anyone who hasn't acted yet!!! :DDD))

Emongnome777
2012-03-12, 08:43 PM
Elebon grips his alhulak tightly and holds his shield high as the ants approach. Despite having seen combat before, he's more nervous than normal. Nevertheless, he holds his ground in preparation for combat.

Initiative: [roll0]

The Underlord
2012-03-12, 09:50 PM
Great he mutters. He grips his staff in two arms and prepares himself.
iniative [roll0]

Ascy
2012-03-13, 04:45 AM

Nervously, Araz grabs his obsidian blade tighter and takes off his hood.
It has been a time since he last had to use it, and the odds were better then.
Ah well, at least it's sharp. Always look at the positive., he thinks to himself, trying to calm his pulse.

[roll0]

Ravian
2012-03-13, 06:04 AM
Initiative order is:
Hejkin
Karak
Hastur
Ants
Drake
Twitching Hejkin
Cha'Ka
Elebon
Araz

Will post the hejkin's first move later today, pressed for time right now

Emongnome777
2012-03-13, 07:58 AM
Elebon takes sight of a nearby hejkin. He telekinetically forces the creature toward him and compels it to attack him.

When Hejkin 4 starts its turn, Use Wild Focus to pull it from N14 to L17 (see below for power description).

Wild Focus
Using a surge of telekinetic power, you yank an enemy toward you, forcing it to fight.
Psionic
Free Action -- Close burst 10
Trigger: An enemy starts its first turn during an encounter.
Target: The triggering enemy in the burst
Effect: You pull the target a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier and mark it until the end of your next turn.

Ravian
2012-03-13, 11:46 AM
The Damacules Eastate:
As the Hejkin is brutally wrenched from its fellows, the other Hejkin quickly scamper after it, surrounding the main portion of the party and flanking Karak and Elebon, they slash out at Karak, Elebon and Araz viciously with their claws.

Hejkin 1: attack Elebon[roll0] (CA) damage[roll1] and Elebon is marked by it until the end of its next turn

Hejkin 2: attack Araz [roll2] damage[roll3] Araz marked

Hejkin 3: attack Karak [roll4] (CA) damage[roll5] Karak marked

Hejkin 4: attack Karak (violating mark, they seem to consider him a greater threat) [roll6] (CA) damage[roll7] Karak marked if the other one didn't hit

The Hejkin dragged by Elabon screeches in suprise as telkinetic force drags him between the two warriors. Sizing the two up the Hejkin slashes at the huge figure covered in the Mekillot carcase, scoring a blow through the Golem's stone carapace before shrieking in pain as Psionic energy batters its mind. The other Hejkin rush towards them, one blocked by Karak's shield and the other sidestepped by Araz. But one manages to glance Elabon with his claw while the Half-Elf is distracted by it's comrade.
8 damage to Karak and Elabon marked by Hejkin 4 and 1 respectively, 8 damage to Hejkin 4 from mind spike

Emongnome777
2012-03-13, 12:01 PM
Elebon lashes out with his alhulak at the hejkin attacking Karak. The weapon barely touches the creature, but it recoils from the staggering force of the attack.

Mind Spike: Hejkin 4 takes 8 force and psychic damage when it hit Karak.

Mind Spike
You force your enemy to feel the pain that it inflicts on your friend.
Force, Psionic, Psychic
Immediate Reaction -- Melee 1
Trigger: An adjacent enemy marked by you deals damage to your ally with an attack that doesn’t include you as a target
Target: The triggering enemy
Effect: The target takes force and psychic damage equal to the damage that its attack dealt to your ally.
NOTE:
The Wild Focus took place when Hejkin 4 started its turn, so it wouldn't be in place to provide flanking until the others attacked (assuming your posted order is indeed the order the creatures acted). Even though Elebon got hit, it probably isn't enough to worry about retconning, especially since his position affected where the rest went to.

Also, Hejkin took a -2 to attack Karak, though it probably still hit.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-13, 12:16 PM

Karak ignores the hits received, even the one that cracks his skin. He deftly steps out of the flank and into one of his own, and tries to smack his attacker on the knees, although he misses. He continues to pound the ground, keeping their attention on him.

Karak
HP 25/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /12)
AC 19 Fort 15 Reflex 13 Will 14 Speed 6

Move: shift to M16

Standard: Weight of the Earth @Hej4
[roll0] (inc. CA)
[roll1]
If hit, slow him UEMNT

Free: Nature's Wrath: Mark all around me until the end of my next turn
Mark UEMNT Hej3 & Hej4.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-15, 03:22 PM
Hastur sneaks forward into a nearby olive tree, and fires off a cheap-shot at the knees of the twitching creature in the back, aiming to hobble it. He does his best to keep out of sight to avoid detection from the ants.

stealth check to stay hidden-
Sneak attack on twitching hejekin-[roll]1d20+7+2
Regular damage- [roll1]
Sneak attack damage- [roll2]
Effects- slowed until the end of my next turn.

((sorry, i was going to post my action yesterday, but after i moved, i just couldn't get anything to load.))

((Darn, bad stealth roll. Any chance i can take ten? I'm unfamilier on how that works. No big deal if i can't though.))

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-15, 03:24 PM
((dang, sorry I thought I was supposed t put my combat adavntage bonus seperately. Here's my attack roll.))

Attack roll-[roll0]

Ravian
2012-03-15, 07:48 PM
The Damacules Estate:
The Twitching Hejkin suddenly becomes stiff as Hastur's crossbow plunges into its hip. It shrieks as its blood pours out and paints the hard earth the color of the sun. It screeches in the direction of the ants
Hastur:
Pain! Pain! Hurt! Ants! Ants! Find! Kill! Kill! Kill!
The Ants blindly rush toward the olive tree Hastur is in. Not appearing to see him but sensing him all the same, snapping furiously with their mandibles.
Sorry folks Ants have Tremor Sense! Though you still have cover
Ant 1: attack [roll0] 4 damage
Ant 2: attack [roll1] 4 damage
Ant 3: attack [roll2] 4 damage
Ant 4: attack [roll3] 4 damage

Suddenly the guard drake rushes out from the olive tree savagely snapping at one of the ants attacking Hastur
Bite at Ant 3 [roll4] damage[roll5]
the Ant is shredded apart in the drake's fangs, the other ants quickly go into the frenzy, abandoning their assault on Hastur and surrounding the Drake insteadAnts 1,2, and 4 shift 2 squares as a free action

The twitching Hejkin limps to one of its allies, a look of rage on its gibbering face, suddenly it shouts with a single deep note like an earthquake that sends shockwaves through Karak, Elebon and Araz knocking them about
Earth's Voice: close blast 5 [roll6] thunder damage and pushes 3 squares and knocks prone anyone hit
Karak: attack[roll7] against fortitude
Elebon: attack[roll8] against fortitude
Araz: attack[roll9] against fortitude
Karak manages to resist the shock waves, holding his stone body against the tremors, Elebon and Araz are not as lucky as the shockwaves knock them both to their feet, Elebon dashes his head against a rock on the ground as he falls, blood mixing with sand in a red silt.

The Underlord
2012-03-15, 10:05 PM
You shall burn he says ominously and throws a firey seed at an ant.
I'm presuming I can hit the ground automatically. He throws the seed at 013 P14 Until the start of my next turn the squares around burst into flame, dealing 4 fire damage whenever something enters it or starts there turn there. Since it only affects enemies it shouldn't hit the drake. I guess the flames part for it or something.

Emongnome777
2012-03-17, 12:13 AM
Elebon groans and spits out blood as he stands back up. Shaking off the daze, he grips his shield tight and starts spinning his alhulak around his head, facing west. "Watch out, Araz!" he shouts as he spins it wider and wider. He attempts to catch one of the hejkin with the alhulak while forcing back its ally.

Move Action:
Stand from prone.

Minor Action:
Battlemind's Demand on Hejkin 1, marking it.

Standard Action:
Concussive Spike (blast 3), targetting Hejkin 1
...Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
...Hit: [roll1] and push Hejkin 2 4 squares to F14
Elebon smacks the hejkin in the head and with a surge of mental energy, pushes the other hejkin 20 feet away, keeping it off him and his allies temporarily.

Ascy
2012-03-17, 05:26 AM

Still dizzy from the shockwave, Araz clumsily stands up, only to have him face one of the ugly creatures straight on.
From the corner of his eye, he can see Elebon, hitting the Hejkin with his attack, and sees his opportunity. "Thanks!"
He infuses his obsidian shard with a tiny bit of elemental power, sharpening its edge even more, and strikes at the foul monster.

Move Action: Stand up from Prone
Standard Action: Magic Weapon against Hejkin 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
On a Hit, each ally adjacent to Araz gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls, and a +4 power bonus to damage rolls until the end of Araz' next turn.
Minor Action: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula on Elebon
Elebon gains +1 power bonus to AC until the end of the encounter. You can end the bonus to gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value +4

On the strike, the energy stored within the weapon disperses from the blade and clings to Elebon's alhulak.

Ravian
2012-03-19, 12:30 PM
The Damacules Estate:
((I'm going to roll for Cha'Ka to move things along))
[roll0] vs Reflex [roll1] fire damage

The Ant is incinerated in the blaze, causing the others to jerk around erratically, appearing to begin to retreat, one of them manages to escape the blaze without catching fire, the drake is suprised by the flames and also perplexed that they appear to be ignoring it
ants 1 and 2 shift to P9 and O12 respectively, this means that Ant 2 will not die at the start of its turn because it starts its turn outside the zone.

The Hejkin begin throwing a fit as they watch the twitcher bleed from Hastur's Bolt. One scampers atop one of the boundary stones, clinging to it with its claws, while another spying Hastur in the trees, attempts to ignore Karak and kill the offender. The other two, finding themselves isolate from the rest of the pack attempt to burrow towards the wounded twitcher

Hejkin 1 attempts to burrow to L15, provoking opportunity attacks from Araz and Elebon, ((I'm sure Elebon has some fancy Defender power to use, so I'll only roll for Araz's attack))
[roll2] damage[roll3]

Hejkin 2 burrows to K14 and readies an attack against anyone coming in range

Hejkin 3 shifts to M15 and tries to attack Hastur through cover and violating Karak's mark
[roll4] damage[roll5] and Hastur marked until end of next turn

Hejkin 4 shifts to M17 atop the rock due to Earth Walk and attacks Karak [roll6](CA) damage[roll7] and Karak marked until end of next turn

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-19, 12:44 PM

The moment the Hejkin turns to attack his ally in the tree, Karak explodes into action, delivering an overhand blow at the Hejkin before he can even start his attack.

Immediate Interrupt (Hej 3 mark violation): Warden's Fury
[roll0] (Note: Vs. Fort, not AC)
[roll1], and he grants CA to me and my allies until the end of my next turn.

My turn is next, but I'll wait for Elebon to take his MBA before moving.

Ravian: moving away doesn't fire off the mark violation attacks, we just get the same MBAs everyone else gets, as far as I know. But it does mean we can actually get two attacks, one for violating the mark (immediate attack) while the other is an OA.

Also, nice crits. First time I'm happy to see a DM rolling two crits in the same update :smallbiggrin:

Emongnome777
2012-03-19, 12:54 PM
Elebon takes a swipe at the escaping Hejkin.

Unfortunately, my defender-ness doesn't include creatures simply walking into Mordor away. That's why I needed Melee Training so badly so my OA is respectable. Oh well, here goes nothing. Yeah, no mark punishment, etc., just a simple OA for the creature moving away like everyone else gets.

OA vs. Hejkin 1
...Hit: [roll1]

EDIT: Obviously a miss and he can't do anthing to stop the movement. NOTE: I did NOT update the spreadsheet (I can't from work).

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-03-19, 01:13 PM

Karak's eyes shine happily for a second, realising that the enemy, in its haste to protect their leader, has left themselves open to his favourite counter-attack. Stealing himself for the damage that is to come, he steps right into the middle of the melee, bracing himself as the furthest Hejkin takes a swipe at him, even as the one behind him feints from his high perch.

But the attack is not enough to stop Karak, and as before, he jumps into the air, its powerful legs sending him high up. As he falls, the land around him trembles, and the Hejkin are left barely able to stand, much less move. While they are struggling to gain their footing, Karak takes advantage of it and spins his thighbone around, aiming at their heads.

Karak
HP 25/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (0 used /12)
AC 19 Fort 15 Reflex 13 Will 14

Move: shift to L16, forcing Hej2 to use its attack on Karak
Free: Mark all around (hej1, 2, 3, 4)

(optional: if the attack bloodies Karak, minor: warforged resolve: gain 3 HP and 3 THP)

Standard: Roots of Stone
Close burst 1
Effect: The burst creates a zone of rippling earth that
lasts until the end of your next turn.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] +2 CA, if 17 was a hit in my previous post
[roll3]
[roll4]
If any of the hit ones leave the zone (Emongnome: willingly or not, hint hint :smallwink:), they are knocked prone and take 3 damage.

Ravian
2012-03-19, 08:04 PM
The Hejkin that ignore Karak is struck soundly between the shoulder blades, staggering it. As the golem moves into the melee, one of the Hejkin slashes at him with its claws

[roll0] damage[roll1] and marked (though it doesn't matter since it ends on the same turn
Karak flinches as the Hejkin's claws dig into his stone carapace, but refuses to give up, calling on his own reslience to lessen the blows effects.
Karak is bloodied, uses Warforged resilence and is no longer bloodied

the Warden's attack staggers all but one of the Hejkin, who seems to be aided by the static going between it and one of the other Hejkin next to it, another is only barely hit as the electric energy between it and its fellows improves its reactions. 2 of the Hejkin are especially harmed, as the rocks beat their gnarly hide savagely.

Hejkin 3 and 4 are both bloodied

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-21, 05:26 PM
Hastur keeps his eye on the caster hejkin, and backs into the bunches of olive trees, not caring about opening himself up for an attack from one hejkin. He figures that if it makes a swing at him, it'll get a nasty crack on the skull from that big guy, what was his name? Garak Krint? Yeah, that was it. Garak Krint. After stealthily moving to the trees, he puts off anouther shot at the twitching hejkin, getting readiy to disappear as soon as he strikes.

Stealth check for combat advantage against chanter- [roll0]
Attack roll (add 2 if my stealth check succeeds)- [roll1]
Base damage- [roll2]
Sneak attack damage(if i get it)- [roll3]

((Natural one?! Unacceptable! Imma use ma action point! Same power, do i roll again for damage? I'd assume so, but tell me if i'm wrong.))

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-21, 05:36 PM
Already made my stealth check, but I think I reveal myself when
I make an attack, so i'll make anouther one just in case- [roll0]
Attack(again, add 2 if i make my stelath check)- [roll1]
Base damage- [roll2]
Sneak attack damage if i get it- [roll3]

((That doesn't look like enough... anyone got some adept's insight or buffs i could get? I understand if your saving them for yourself though.))

Ravian
2012-03-23, 07:21 PM
The Damacules Estate:
Hastur's bolt sails close by the twitching Hejkin, nearly missing it before Elebon uses his Psionic skill to curve the bolt's path squarely into the creature's temple, killing it as it shrieks its death cry

The Ants, unclear what to do, quickly snap at the two closest enemies at hand, Hastur and the Damacule's guard Drake.

Ant 1 moves to Q11 and attacks Hastur through cover [roll0] 4 damage
Ant 2 attacks the drake [roll1] 4 damage

The Guard Drake is struck in the side by the ants mandibles, still uneasy of the primal flames created by Cha'Ka it shifts out of them before retaliating against the ant

Drake shifts to P12 and attacks Ant 2 [roll2]

The ant is shredded causing the other one to flee
Shifts to P9

Emongnome777
2012-03-23, 09:32 PM
Elebon is briefly relieved to see his enemies move away from him, only to seem them swarm Karak. Amazingly, his mighty ally has stood his ground, despite being surrounded by the fiendish creatures. He initially considers moving up and smacking the nearest hejkin before seeing the fire on the ground nearby. Moving around to the west and north, he starts spinning the alhulak around his head. "Stand fast, my friend!", he calls out to Karak as his alhulak takes on the shape of a whispy fist of mental energy. I hope my aim is true, he thinks as he unleashes it toward a wounded hejkin and attempts to sweep the other hejkin away toward the fire.

NOTE: Karak isn't targetting by the power and any fear Elebon has about hitting him is purely role-playing.

Free Action (?):
Elebon will spend the +1 to AC for the 12 temporary hit points.

Minor Action:
Knack for Success: Grant myself a +2 to the next attack roll

Move Action:
Move to J16

Standard Action:
Concussive Spike blast 3 targetting K15 - M17, with Hejkin 1-4 in the blast area, targetting Hejkin 1 with the attack
...Attack: [roll0] vs. AC (+2 from Knack for Success, +1 from Araz's Magic Weapon)
...Hit: [roll1] (+4 from Cha'Ka's Magic Weapon) damage to Hejkin 1, Hejkin 2 is pushed to O15, Hejkin 3 is pushed to P15 and Hejkin 4 is pushed to Q15
Elebon almost gasps in glee as he watches the psionic fist further harm the hejkin and push all its allies into the nearby flames.

Summary:
Hejkin 1: 14 damage (it has 28 damage now, updated on map)
Hejkin 2, 3, 4: Moved (updated on map)
Elebon ended at J16 (updated on map)
IMPORTANT NOTE: I did not update the map to include any damage or effects to the pushed hejkin such as roots of stone or the damage from the flames.

Ascy
2012-03-24, 05:45 AM

The half-elemental quickly closes to his companions, faint trails of smoke rising from his head. He sees Elebon smash the Hejkin with psionic energy, and without hesitation hurls his obsidian long knife towards the still confused creature. As the blade flies towards his enemy, he again channels a small bit of his elemental essence into the weapons of his nearby allies.
"HA! These stupid dune monkeys underestimated us, it seems!"
With a short nod towards Elebon he adds: "Nice work, short-elf!"

Move Action: Move to K17
Standard Action: Magic Weapon vs. Hejkin 1
[roll0]
[roll1]
On a Hit, each ally adjacent to Araz gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls, and a +4 power bonus to damage rolls until the end of Araz' next turn.

Ravian
2012-03-26, 08:25 AM
The Damacules Estate:
Elebon's Psionic force strikes the Hejkin with enough force to snap its neck alomost completely from its shoulders, the creature gurgles slightly before dying

The other Hejkin are thrown backwards and battered by Primal stone and Flame. One of them does not survive the journey as the life is scorched out of it. The other two are bruised, bloody and burnt as they screech in pain

This is short lived when one is pegged squarely between the eyes with a long shard of Obsidian, silencing the creature permanently, the other one clearly has realized that it is going to die here unless it escapes.
Hejkin 1, 2 and 3 are dead, Hejkin 4 is bloodied

The Underlord
2012-03-29, 07:56 AM
You shall not escape He says. He transforms into a snake and darts towards the remaining Hejkin. He sinks his fangs into it, the venom slowing it down.
Minor action to wildshape and he moves to P17. Grasping claws is re-flavored as venom to make more sense for a snake.
Grasping Claws
[roll0] vs reflex
[roll1] and is slowed until the end of my next turn.

Ravian
2012-03-29, 12:01 PM
The Damacules Estate:
The final Hejkin screeches as the venom seeps through its veins numbing its reactions. Eyes darting about at the corpses of its fellows and seeing that the last Ant is not likely to be any factor in its survival, the creature begins gibbering in a pleading tone towards the adventurers

Hastur:
No Kill! No Kill! No Kill! This one not want die!

Even without understanding the words its clear the creature wants to surrender.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-29, 04:15 PM
Hastur grimaces in disgust at the creature's pleading. In case you can't figure it out, the nasty little piece of kank-bile wants to call it quits. Does anyone have any objection to me putting a bolt between it's eyes right now?

((I'd like to just walk over to the hejkin, but I don't know if you want to continue combat or not. The ant's hardly a factor in anything. If initiative order is still going around, then i'll stay put, but otherwise hastur is standing near the hejkin))

Ascy
2012-03-30, 11:02 AM
Araz

With a subtle motion of his hands, Araz wills the blade back into his hands.
As he looks onto the bloodied shard of obsidian, he realizes that his hands are shaking heavily. Still a bit dazed from the Hejkin's spell, he shouts over to the gaunt man:
"You think it knows something useful? Wouldn't want to be surprised by its friends."

Sweeping his hand over the blade, he cleans it of the already sticky blood and brain matter from the hejkin's head. He squints his eyes until they are nothing more than glowing orange slits. His voice hard and without compassion, he adds quietly:
"After that, do what you want with the thing."

Emongnome777
2012-03-30, 03:16 PM
Elebon pauses to catch his breath. He was impressed with his allies' abilities and had hope that this job wouldn't be as hard as he thought.

He considers the hejkin's plea. He walks closer to the hejkin and speaks toward the creature, but at his allies. "I think we should... ask... him for some information about his other friends. Should he prove useful, I'm willing to let him go.

"His left ear, however, stays with us."

Intimidate: [roll0]

Ravian
2012-03-30, 03:30 PM
The Damacules Estate
the Hejkin while quivering from Cha'Ka's venom makes no indication of understanding the party's disscussion. He doesn't appear to understand common

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-30, 05:55 PM
Hastur gives a curt nod.Very well. I'll have to do the talking though. It doesn't seem to understand common, but it speaks a sort of broken dwarven. I've picked up a good bit of dwarven through my days, so looks like i'll be leading the, ah, discussion.

Hastur cracks his knuckles an spits on the ground. He takes a swig from his flask to wet his lips, then crabs up the Hejkin by the throat and begans shouting at it in angry dwarven, while pressing his crossbow into its face.

Hasturs "discussion" with the hejkin, in dwarven.
Listen up, you little dirt rat, and listen good. Me and my pals here are clearing your filthy friends out of this place, and we don't like suprises. I want to know exactly where the rest of your kind is, and in what numbers. I wanna know how tough they are, how many, if they got any traps, anything and everything! If they like to eat roasted cactus roots for dinner and then dance around in the moonlight with a loin-cloth stuffed in their trap to the tune of the Nibenese national anthem, i better know in advance, or i swear on the sun i'll stick this crossbow in your mouth and put a bolt right through that sorry excuse for a brain, then leave your splattered head and broken carcass out in the sands for the dune reapers. Do you understand, you little piece of crodolu dung?! Because if you lie to me, i'll stick a bolt in you for every cut and scrap on me and my team's bodies, starting from the feet up. And you can be sure I won't skip a single spot.

Hastur glances down towards the area between the creature's legs.

Intimidate- [roll0]
((darn... :/ guess the hejkin might need to be shown that hastur can bite just as well as he barks. >:}))

Ravian
2012-03-30, 06:50 PM
Damacules estate:
((you just got yourself a little roleplaying bonus to your intimidate Hastur, that was far to good to be a 4 :smalltongue:))
The Hejkin's eyes bulge at Hastur's threat, which more than makes up for any lacking features through threatening description.
It begins chattering in dwarven
Yeek! Yeek! Watch duty, ants built tunnel to olive place! This a way!
It points in the direction of where the ants originally came, and where while you were talking the guard drake had begun chasing the remaining ant into the grove
Chief Kuloonpor saw sign, say drive earth stompers from stone corpse place. So Hejkin go on big kill. But no go close to Stone corpse place. After Hejkin drive out Earth stompers Hiss come!
The Hejkin makes a long hiss, as if to make it's point
Hiss crawl under Stone corpse place so Hejkin no go there, is shame Hejkin want bury Stone corpse place so it rest.
The Hejkin pauses for breath looking at Hastur to see if this information has pleased its captors.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-03-30, 08:25 PM
Hastur studies the things face, searching for signs of treachery.
Insight- [roll0]

He begins speaking harshly in dwarven.
Give me details, you worm! Details! Do you even know what a detail is? Can I at least count on your tiny mind to understand that?! What the hell is a stone corpse, and what are earth stompers? You better spill the facts right now, or i'll start spilling your entrails in their place!

Hastur takes out a knife and waves it across the creature's gut, as if threatning to cut it.

intimidate- [roll1]

Ravian
2012-04-01, 12:01 PM
Damacules Estate:
The Hejkin screeches again
Yeek! Will talk! Will talk! You Earthstomper!
He points at the party and Stomps the ground as best it can with its pointed claws
That Stone corpse
He indicates the villa
It bad, hurt Kroor when made, Hejkin want bury, but Hiss there
He once again Hisses
Like Guard hisses, like one you Earthstompers kill Hejkin and ants with, but big, make this one much fear. Not go close. Chief Kuloonpor plan kill Hiss soon though, then bury Stone Corpse place and Kroor not hurt longer
It laughs nervously, still looking nervously at the knife at its gut before speaking once more
This all this one knows, let this one free now?

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-04-01, 12:17 PM
Hastur searches the creature's face once more for lies.
Insight- [roll0]

He turns to the others and speaks.

All he seems to know is that there is something them and their chief Kuloonpor call the hiss, and it's some sort of drake, like the one that helped with the ants. It's underneath the villa, says that's all he knows and wants to be let free.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-04-01, 02:17 PM
All he seems to know is that there is something them and their chief Kuloonpor call the hiss, and it's some sort of drake, like the one that helped with the ants. It's underneath the villa, says that's all he knows and wants to be let free.

Karak has stood impassively while the human and the creature exchanged strange hisses. "He is still an interloper. I can appreciate that he was merely following orders of this chief. He still invaded a grove. Possibly damaged the olive tree roots. I do not believe we should release him so he can sink back into the earth and continue to damage things not of his possession."

Ascy
2012-04-01, 03:35 PM
Araz

The black-skinned half-elemental takes a long look at the frightened creature, his smoke-hair waving slightly in the wind.

"Yeah, and I can appreciate that he and his kin just tried to rip our hearts out. Just get it over with already."

He gestures towards the Hejkin with his obsidian shard and then makes a grimace as a short moment of pain hits him.

"I just hope this big lizard isn't Damacules' pet, too."

Emongnome777
2012-04-02, 11:33 AM
Elebon paces around, waiting on Hastur to finally clue the group in on what the creature was saying. "Hmm, that's not much to go on. I would've like to know about how many there were and where we could find them. But if this is all the creature will tell us, then we don't need it anymore. Perhaps we should just kill it. It attacked us like the rest, plus what it's group has done to the noble's estate doesn't help its case. If we're going to kill it, let's do it quick and move on; I'm sure there are plenty more to kill and the sooner we get this done, the sooner we get paid."

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-04-03, 01:20 PM
Just give me one more chance to see if i can get anything out of it.

Hastur turns back to the Hejkin, and begins speaking in slow, menacing dwarven.
So, there's a big lizard under the villa? Well, while that's nice to know it doesn't exactly-

Hastur abrubtly snaps back one of the creature's fingers, breaking it.

-Answer any of my questions, does it? After all, I told you I wanted to know about you numbers, not-

Hastur twists the creature's hand in an awkward direction, breaking it as well.

-about some damned reptile. If i didn't know any better, i'd think you were distracting me from my original inquiry. Perhaps even-

Hastur twists the thing's arm behind its back and dislocates it from the shoulder, then slowly pushes him to the ground as he speaks, painfully.

-holding out on me? You wouldn't want to think that, now would you? I don't like it when worms like you don't tell me the full story. I don't like being told-

He puts an arm around the thing's neck, twisting it slightly, threatening to break it.

HALF-TRUTHS AND LIES!

Intimidate check-
Intimidate-[roll0]

((Damn.. that's sorta underwhelming.))

Ascy
2012-04-03, 03:14 PM
Araz

While Hastur is torturing the Hejkin, Araz starts to cut the ears off of its dead companions. Doing this, he makes sure that the still living creature has a good look on his bloodied knife.

"Four ears already, five in a couple of moments, I'd say." he shouts towards his companions, while keeping his gaze centered on the poor creature writhing in pain.
"Might be that we make a good profit after all! Heh!"

[roll0]
Result over 10 gives a +2 bonus to Hastur's check

Ravian
2012-04-03, 07:50 PM
Damacules Estate:
The creature screams in pain as Hastur twists it's arm in every which way
Yeeeechhh!! We.. We 2 claws number! Plus this one and soon-buried
He holds out his own good hand, spreading its 5 clawed fingers as indication

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-04-06, 08:21 PM
Hastur hauls the Hejkin to its feet, and looks him over to see if he thinks he's telling the truth.
Insight- [roll0]

He says there's just ten more of them, total.I don't think he'll tell us much more though. Might as well off him now, he's of no more use to us. Any objections?

Emongnome777
2012-04-06, 09:04 PM
Elebon looks at the hejkin then back at Hastur. Shaking his head, he says, "none."

Ravian
2012-04-09, 12:14 PM
The Damacules Estate:
The Hejkin, perhaps sensing that the party is not in favor of sparing its life, suddenly bursts into motion attempting to phase below the sand, Cha'Ka and Karak Grint notice the creature trying to escape and have time to strike out

Only Karak and Cha'Ka's passive perception were high enough to act before the Hejkin can escape, you both have one standard action you can make against it. (You are all considered adjacent to it, and Cha'Ka is still in beast form)

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-04-09, 06:47 PM

Karak swings his club at the creatures head as it starts to struggle to get away. In his haste, the swing is fairly accurate, but lacks power.

Weight of the Earth
[roll0]
[roll1]
If hit, he is slowed UEMNT

Ravian
2012-04-10, 12:06 PM
The Damacules estate:
The Hejkin screeches in pain from the solid strike and is clearly hobbled, but it continues phasing all the same. Even slowed you doubt you could catch up with something ten feet under the sand

OOC:
It's almost down, so it's up to Cha'Ka to kill it before it escapes... No pressure or anything :smallwink:

Ravian
2012-04-14, 11:17 AM
Damacules Estate:
((will just go ahead and post Cha'Ka's attack so we can move on))
Grasping claws:
[roll0] vs reflex
damage[roll1] and slowed
((ooh bad luck, and unfortunately no not even Knack for success will make that a hit))
Cha'Ka lashes out at the Hejkin in his snake form but is unable to stop it before the creature is safely beneath the ground. The drake savagely digs at the sand but is unable to catch the burrowing creature.

Emongnome777
2012-04-16, 12:22 PM
Elebon tries to catch the hejkin, but he's too far away. He sighs then turns toward the rest. "Well, we still have four ears. Sounds like we should head under the villa. The basement seems the best way to go. Agreed?"

Ascy
2012-04-16, 12:50 PM
Araz

The black-skinned half-elemental grabs a fistful of sand and carefully scrubs the blood from his hands before he picks up his weapon.
"I agree, and we should make haste. No doubt the little bastard is on the way to warn his kin."

He takes a short look around to assess the state his companions are in, and smiles contently.
"Everybody still up and running, I see. Great work there, wouldn't mind to make profit more often with you."
Araz laughs a bit nervously and pats Karak on the shoulder, almost instantly regretting it as his hand hits the solid surface.

[Spending a Healing Surge to regain 7 HP - now at 25/30]

Emongnome777
2012-04-16, 01:21 PM
(fixing the new page hiccup)

Elebon nods to Araz. Quoting an elven saying, he says, "water saves you from the desert heat, but profitability saves you from a knife in the back."

Ravian
2012-04-20, 10:42 AM
The Damacules Estate:
The Drake stares at you for a while, it clearly still does not trust you intruding on the property, but it seems to have accepted you are a lesser of two evils compared to the Hejkin.

It presses itself against the sand and breathes heavily for a few moments. Pointing itself to the North Eastern orchards, the drake makes a hissing growl. Then pointing itself towards the villa, it makes a reptilian whine, clearly unwilling to go closer.

Looking at the villa you can see that the basement entrance is askew, the wooden door barely hanging from its hinges. Despite this, none of the Hejkins' graffiti is around this entrance. The main entrance appears more sturdy and remains closed, but has several gouges in it along with a splatter of blood.

Edit: ((this is all derived from your passive perception checks))

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-04-20, 10:57 AM

Karak casually tears off one of the dead hejkin's arms, and kneels close to the guard lizard, offering him the meat. In a soft tone he has not used before, he speaks to it. "What do you smell, small creature?" he says, being careful not to move too quickly, "Are there more invaders beyond the trees? Do you want us to follow you?"

Then, to the others, in its normal somewhat disjointed deep voice, "We have lost the element of surprise. I wonder what the lizard knows. The blood on the door is an anomaly. We should not go down until we are sure the topside is secure. The creature did mention a bigger lizard. We do not want to be ambushed when we leave."

[roll0]
[roll1]
Also, whatever check is necessary to examine the blood.

Emongnome777
2012-04-20, 11:41 AM
Elebon wipes the sweat off his brow, wishing he hadn't had so much to drink last night. He watches the drake and sees him growl toward the orchards to the northeast.

"Guess the little beast is saying more hejkin are in the orchard. That, or it's leading us on a wild kank chase away from its home. Since I don't think it's that smart, I say we head into the orchard. Karak's right, though, we need to be prepared for an ambush." He gets out his waterskin and takes a small drink, eyeing how much he has left. He momentarily regrets not putting some mead in his container, but shakes off that thought.

He glances up at the rapidly rising suns and sighs. "We should get moving if we're going to stay out here much longer. I'd prefer we search the cooler basement at the hottest part of the day."

Ascy
2012-04-24, 02:11 PM
Araz

"Very well. Let us sweep the estate clean before we check the basement, then."

With his voice sounding slightly sorrowful, Araz comments:
"Also, shame about the fifth ear. But I somehow got a feeling that we'll see that one again.."

OOC:Oh darn! I seriously hope that you guys weren't waiting for me all this time! Right now, I'm under heavy workload at uni, but I'll try to make 1 post/day!

Ravian
2012-04-25, 10:59 AM
The Damacules estate:
The drake looks at Karak and flicks its tongue out a few times, apparently perplexed by the scent of nothing beneath the slowly decaying Mekillot. It accepts the meat and eats it quickly before begining to scoot low along the ground towards the Eastern Orchards, hissing quietly all the way. It pauses a moment to look back at the party before continuing into the orchard.

OOC:
Don't worry about it Ascy, I've been incredibly busy as of late, thankfully the scheduling nightmare is almost over.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-04-25, 11:11 AM

With a heavy trot, Karak follows the creature, raising puffs of dust wherever his frame hits the ground, his 'shield' held before him.

Ascy: we used one healing power last fight, don't you need to refill it? Elabon has the most surges, so I suggests he's the one to regenerate it this time, and in general whomever has the most should be the one to "pay" for them in the rest times

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-04-26, 06:37 PM
Hastur slinks between th trees of the grove, trying to stsy hiddenwhile he searches for dangers.

stealth- [roll0]
perception- [roll1]

Ravian
2012-04-29, 10:18 PM
The Damacules estate:
As you follow the drake through the orchard you notice that some of the trees have deep claw marks pierced into the bark and considerably less olives hanging from the branches. After walking about half an hour through the grove you abruptly find that the trees have suddenly cleared. About a dozen or so olive trees lay uprooted, their branches thoroughly cleared, you suddenly hear a crash, turning to your right you notice several giant ants have just uprooted another olive tree, while others are stripping an already fallen tree of it's foliage. The ants in total number 8 and carry the branches in a straight line to a hole in the sand about 10 feet in diameter, 2 larger ants with red streaks in their carapaces stand on either side of the entrance, where you can see the branches in a large pile.

The drake hisses at the ants but you think if you stay still and can keep the drake under control you can avoid being noticed by the ants.

Time for a little group stealth check, along with a nature check to control the drake. Only one can make the nature check, but another can attempt to aid in the attempt.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-04-30, 08:43 AM

With the lizard becoming increasingly agitated, Karak drops back and tries to restrain him gently, offering some more meat. "Some help would be appreciated." he tells the rest of the group. He attempts to both calm down the lizard and keep him - and himself - behind the cover of the remaining trees.

"We may want to take some Death Tokens from these enemies. Maybe further reward will be warranted."

Never been sure how group stealth works - if we individually must all reach a threshold, we're screwed. Defenders aren't stealthy. But hey, maybe we'll get lucky.
[roll0]
Pile every conditional available to Karak: he'll stay behind the group, put as many trees as he can between him and the ants, etc.

As to nature, Cha'ka is the logical one to make the main roll. Karak can be the aid another, unless he gets a bonus from his previous success. The roll isn't going to change, but this is the conditional:
If Karak gets a bonus for having already established the connection, he's the primary roll, and Cha'Ka can aid. Otherwise, we'll do it the other way around.
[roll1]
Huh. Not bad. Here's hoping that I do get a +2 so we don't waste such a decent roll in an aid another.

Emongnome777
2012-04-30, 02:54 PM
The heat of the day is wearing on Elebon, but he doesn't let it show how much. Even though it's getting easier for him, he's a long ways away from the stamina he had on the silt skimmers, which seemed like ages ago now.

Elebon backs away and tries to hide among the olive trees when he sees the group of ants and motions for the group to do likewise. When the drake won't calm down, he hisses quietly, "someone calm that thing down!"

Stealth Check: [roll0]
Nature Check (to aid another): [roll1]

Ascy
2012-05-01, 06:37 AM
Araz

Still breathing a bit harder, Araz cowers behind Karak - after all, being stealthy means to get into cover, right? While he still was a bit dizzy from the Hejkin's spell, he felt unusually calm among his involuntary allies. Speaking in a quiet growl, he comments:

"If it doesn't shut up, we could tie the beast down, or at least tie its jaws shut. Heh. You want to bet if Damacules knew about his insect problem, too?"

With one hand, he swipes the sweat from his forehead, and tries to get a better look at the situation. This day surely is something else..

[roll0]

Ravian
2012-05-08, 12:20 PM
Damacules Orchards:
((I'm just going to go on and roll for Cha'Ka, and use Hastur's earlier stealth roll))
stealth [roll0]

The drake manages to calm itself under Karak and Elebon's influence, but Elebon makes a significant bit of noise while doing it. On of the ants guarding the burrow begins shaking its attenna around and begins moving toward where the party hides in order to investigate the source of the noise.

Emongnome777
2012-05-09, 11:14 AM
Elebon curses quietly under his breath when he accidentally snags an olive branch on his backpack, causing it to snap back loudly. He ducks down, but it's obvious that it's too late. Looking at the rest of the group and seeing that they are probably unnoticed at this point, he whispers, "I can move away from them and get them to follow where they will be surrounded when we attack. Agreed?"

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-09, 11:24 AM

Karak, simply, nods. Then he sets his feet, and readies himself for battle.

Ascy
2012-05-11, 12:33 PM
Araz

Araz moves his blade closer to his body, as he makes himself ready for another fight. He holds his breath as he watches the ants' antennae move, as if this would make any difference. "Sure would be nice to be the ambushing party instead of the ambushed one once.", he comments quietly.

Emongnome777
2012-05-14, 02:13 PM
Seeing some agreement among his allies, Elebon waves for them to spread out. He then steps out among the uprooted trees, making sure to make plenty of noise. He then slowly steps back to just a few feet inside the trees still standing. With his weapon and shield in hand, he waits for the ants to get up close so they can spring the trap.

Ravian
2012-05-15, 02:49 PM
The Damacules Estate: The larger red ants immediately notice Elebon and begin scuttling towards him, mandibles beared. The other ants pause in their work but still only seem passively involved

Roll for initiative!
I will set up the map soon so people can determine positions

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-15, 02:51 PM

[roll0]

Emongnome777
2012-05-15, 03:04 PM
Elebon

Initiative: [roll0]

Ascy
2012-05-15, 03:27 PM
Araz

[roll0]

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-05-19, 11:24 AM
((Sorry I took so long. Kinda busy this time of year))

Initiative- [roll0]

Hastur begins to line up his shots.

((Note, I'm gunna spend a healing surge, forgot to before combat))

Ravian
2012-05-20, 05:39 PM
Initiative order:
Hastur
Karak
Ant Workers
Araz
Ant Soldiers
Elebon
Traaver
Drake

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-05-22, 07:55 PM
Hastur takes advantage of the Ants' general unawareness and moves out of the undergrowth as best he can before firing off a shot into one of the larger ant's side, hoping to unbalance its many legs and slow it down a touch.

Move to d14
Sneak Attack Unbalancing shot at closer ant soldier
[roll0]
Damage [roll1] plus sneak attack [roll2]
And the ant is slowed until the end of next turn

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-22, 08:21 PM

Karak ponderously pushes his way into the open, planting himself between the group and the ants, and sets his feet in preparation for the enemy attack.

Move to H12

Standard: Prepare Thorn Strike (range 2).
Trigger: an enemy moves within 2 squares of Karak
[roll0]
[roll1]
If hit, pull the enemy next to Karak

Ravian
2012-05-23, 10:44 AM
The Ant that Hastur hits jerks from the impact and waves its legs, attenae and mandibles in pain as some form of fluid pours from the wound. The smaller ants move as an oncoming wave, focusing on the interlopers that have clearly attacked their nest.

Ant workers all moved towards you, short on time so you can look on the map

Ascy
2012-05-23, 03:39 PM
Araz

Raising his hand towards Karak, Araz prepares an enchantment. The air around him starts to vibrate slightly in a low hum, as he transfers energy from his surroundings towards his ally's armor. He focuses his orange glowing eyes on his companion, concentrated and ready to unleash his spell.

Standard Action: Prepare Thundering Armor on Karak: use when an enemy gets adjacent to him.
Karak gains a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of Araz' next turn.
Attack against the enemy adjacent to Karak:
[roll0]
[roll1], thunder

Ravian
2012-05-24, 06:31 PM
The soldiers begin their advance towards your position, the one Hastur injured barely able to hobble as it approaches, but the other manages to reach Karak's position. Despite the combination of Karak's attack and the strange resounding boom emanating from the golem's armor, the ant is unfazed as it lashes out with its mandibles.

Ant soldier 1 moves to O6 and attacks Karak
[roll0] vs AC (which is +1 from Thundering Armor)
[roll1] damage and Karak is grabbed

Ant soldier 2 moves to L11 (slowed condition ends)

Karak easily forces back the insect's madibles with his shield

Emongnome777
2012-05-24, 07:35 PM
Elebon moves forward as quickly as he can. As he does so, he spins his alhulak around in the air. It seems to shimmer the more he spins it. While still a little distance from Karak, he suddenly pulls the weapon back, causing the psionic force to unleash near the great golem but (hopefully) toward the ant soldier that has a hold of him (it?).

Move Action:
Move to F11

Minor Action:
Battlemind's Demand on Ant Soldier 1 (marks creature)

Standard Action:
Concussive Spike, blast 3 (G9-I11), targetting Ant Soldier 1
...Hit: [roll1] force damage (no other effects since no other enemies were in the blast)

NOTE: I updated the spreadsheet with the damage and mark since I know I hit (almost a crit!)

Conundrum
2012-05-25, 02:17 AM
Traaver, Half-Elf Invoker

After days of stumbling through the wastes, the grove was a welcome sight. Balic surely couldn't be far away, but he desperately needed to refill his waterskin - and some food couldn't hurt, either.

However, as he entered the grove he saw that many of the trees had been attacked; knocked down or stripped of their fruit. He also heard the sounds of combat coming from not far away.

Crouching low, he approached the source of the noise just in time to see a giant ant attack a great hulking man who seemed to be wearing... a mekillot carcass? Unsure of what to do, he hesitated for a moment - but only a moment.

"Need a hand?" he called, as he burst from the olive trees to the north of the strange assortment of people and unleashed his strange magic towards the ants. Three streams of radiant light leapt from his outstretched fingertips, bursting like fireworks where they collided with the ants' hard exoskeletons.

However, either he was less experienced with this power than he thought, or his long trek through the wastes had taken its toll on him...

Move: to C10
Standard: Hand of Radiance vs Reflex
Attack vs Ant Soldier I11 - [roll0]
Attack vs Ant Soldier L11 - [roll1]
Attack vs Ant Worker M12 - [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] radiant.

Edit: Wow, 3, 9, 1, 1. Nice rolls.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-25, 07:03 AM

"Need a hand?"

As Karak ungracefully slams the ant in front of him to get her to release the shield, his periphery vision picks up on the newcomer. Not stopping his unhurried contest with the ant - now slightly distracted by the mental commands of Elebon - he answers. "Be aware you are in danger. Assistance is appreciated. Our purpose is not the ants. Ants were harming trees. We are hunting for hejkin. The ants threatened our retreat. If you help with hejkin, then you can participate of the reward."

As before, Karak seems to struggle with the words, as if there where six things he wanted to say at once, and had to smash all of them together.

Ravian
2012-05-25, 02:33 PM
One of the beams of light shining from Traaver's hand collides with the injured ant and sears the exoskeleton, causing the insect to further wave its appendages in pain.

The drake meanwhile suddenly tenses up, its frill extending before it rushes out of the undergrowth, snapping and growling at something you can not see under the ground.
Drake moves to F14

Traaver:
Your keen senses allow you to hear a faint rumble and what could possibly be garbled high-pitched dwarven beneath the sand saying Down Down Fall Much!

The ground beneath Karak, Elabon, Hastur and the Drake suddenly falls away as the sand collapses from unseen tunnelling

Ground collapse of a close burst 2 centered around F12
Attack:
Hastur [roll0] vs Reflex
Karak [roll1] vs Reflex
Elabon [roll2] vs Reflex
Drake [roll3] vs Reflex (creatures with tremorsense get a +2 to defenses)

[roll4] Damage and the target falls down 10 feet (this is the falling damage)
those that are missed shift to the nearest unnocupied square outside the pit

Hastur neatly retreats further into the trees as the ground gives way, while Karak nearly falls in as he is forced to sidestep the collapsing sand while engaged with his current adversary. Elabon and the Drake are not so lucky as they tumble down into the sand pit, landing with a hard impact onto the newly descended ground

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-05-27, 11:09 AM
Hastur weaves around to the right of the pit, wanting to keep his distance between himself and this new arival as much as he wanted a clear shot on his target. What was that strange magic he used? Perhaps he was a templar, sent to investigate his personal motives... But that couldn't be right. Those bolts didn't look like any magic he knew, and no plants had withered from defiling. If it was magic he used, he was some sort of preserver, and no friend of the templars.

Resolving to look into this new arrival as soon as he could, Hastur did his best to disappear among the grove, and fired a shot from his crossbow.

Stealth check- [roll0]
Attack, Glaoming Cut- [roll1] (add 2 if successful stealth check)
Base damage- [roll2]
Sneak attack damage- [roll3]

If I hit, I shift 1 square and make another stealth check.
Stealth- [roll4]

Ravian
2012-05-27, 11:52 AM
Hastur strikes the unaware ant in another joint, causing it to, once more writhe in pain. However the dense trees mean he is unable to move away from his original position.

OOC:
Sneak attack succeeded but you can't shift into difficult terrain. I assume this means you can't make the stealth check but I may be wrong.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-05-28, 04:41 PM
((I'm pretty sure I still get to make a stealth check, I think it more has to do with hitting with the attack rather then being able to shift or not.))

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-28, 04:45 PM
((I'm pretty sure I still get to make a stealth check, I think it more has to do with hitting with the attack rather then being able to shift or not.))

A stealth check done without cover is impossible - you are spotted automatically. If you cannot shift into the cover of the trees, then the check cannot succeed (or, technically, succeeds, but is immediately broken by all that look at you. You'd only be hidden from enemies on the other side of the trees).

Edit: Ignore me, I keep forgetting you are ranged. Since you stayed beyond cover, yes, the stealth check can be performed, although any enemies "guessing" your spot will have an easy time of it since they know precisely where you are hidden. But you are still hidden.

Ravian
2012-05-29, 12:31 PM
((Just a reminder of the combat round order as we seemed to have slowed down))
Hastur (already gone this round)
Karak
Ant Workers
Araz
Ant Soldiers
Elabon
Traaver
Drake

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-05-29, 01:22 PM
My apologies: I had indeed forgotten I was next. Thanks for the poke

Karak exchanges a few attacks back and forth with the closest soldier ant, but neither manages a solid blow. Karak takes note of how the ant looses focus, its attacks clearly under the mental influence of Elebon. Karak acknowledges Elebon help with a curt nod, then steps away from the ant towards the wounded one. Karak leverages his long reach to prod the creature, deftly hooking one of its legs and dragging it towards him, making sure its attention is on him and him alone.

"Elebon: ensure the ant you are mentally influencing does not proceed towards the others," he suggests out loud, as he does his best to block the others from advancing towards the group.

Move: shift to J13
Standard: Thorn Strike (range 2) @ Ant in L11
[roll0]
[roll1]
If hit, pull the ant to K12

Free: only if I manage to pull: Mark everyone around me (i.e. soldier ant)
Edit: rolled 19 to hit, I've gone ahead and assumed it is a hit and updated the map to include the move.

Ravian
2012-05-30, 03:02 PM
The ants rush forward, many congregating around Karak while a smaller pack seem to break away to the north.

The ants begin to savagely attack the golem beating their wounded guardian

ant 2 [roll0]
ant 3 [roll1] (CA)
ant 4 [roll2] (CA)
ant 6 [roll3] (CA)
ant 8 [roll4] (CA)
All vs. AC
each hit deals 4 damage

Ascy
2012-06-01, 04:33 PM
Araz

The merchant moves closer towards the sinkhole, trying to get a good look inside, but as he sees the ants swarming around his huge companion, he decides to help. With a swift motion, he throws his obsidian blade at the next insect.

Move Action: Move to F15
Standard Action: Magic Weapon vs. J14
[roll0]
[roll1]
On Hit: Hastur gains +1 power bonus to attack rolls and +4 power bonus to damage rolls until the end of Araz' next turn.

Ravian
2012-06-01, 05:56 PM
The ant collapses as Araz's knife lodges itself in its head. The other worker ants suddenly explode into a flurry of motion as they abandon their assault on Karak and move towards this new assailant. Meanwhile the soldiers eyes take a distintly red sheen at the sight of their fallen comrade
Triggered Action: Hive Worker frenzy (all Workers within 10 squares of the slain ant shift two squares as a free action)

Hive Soldier frenzy (all Soldiers within 10 squares gain a +2 to attack rolls until the end of their next turn)

The soldier compulsed by Elabon crawls down the newly opened pit towards him, in no way impeded by the steep sand descent. The other holds its ground against Karak. Both snap their mandibles at the warriors.

ant one moves to G11 and attacks prone Elabon
vs AC [roll1] damage and the target is grabbed

ant 2 attacks flanked Karak
[roll2] vs AC [roll3] damage and the target is grabbed

Karak's ant is easily deflected once more with his shield, while Elabon's actually trips over the prone Half-Elf's arm in its haste to attack, Elabon is able to take advantage of the insect's folly and retaliate with an attack of his own.

Ant 1 scored a Critical failure so Elabon can make an opportunity attack against it as a free action.
[roll]1d20+6(-2 from prone) 1d8 damage

Ravian
2012-06-01, 06:20 PM
((My bad, forgot about the no die rolls on an edited post thing))

[roll0](-2 from prone) [roll1] damage
the ant stumbles off of Elabon as his alhulak grazes the thorax

Emongnome777
2012-06-01, 09:12 PM
Elebon shakes off the effects of the sudden fall and somehow manages to get a free swipe in at the ant as it attempted to snap at his head. Already weary of the fight, he stands up and spins his alhulak at his side, taking aim at the creature's legs as he released the psionic energy against his foes.

Move Action:
Stand up from prone

Standard Action:
Concussive Spike, blast 3 (G9-I11), targetting ant soldier (G11)
...Attack: [roll0]
...Hit: [roll1] force damage and all other enemies in the blast are pushed 4 squares*.

*: The other 2 ants in the blast area are 10 feet above him, so I'll leave it up to the DM to decide if I can affect them with this power (I'm required to see the enemies I push). As such, I'll leave them in place and you can let me know if it works so I can change their position. Of course, I have to hit first.

Conundrum
2012-06-02, 12:59 PM

Seeing the ants circling around the pit towards him, Traaver aim at all three of them and once again blasts away with golden light.

"Reward, eh?" he asks, chipper despite the situation. "Can't say I ended up here looking for a reward, but I wouldn't say no!"

He then skirts around the pit, hoping to get closer to the man being swarmed by insects so that he might better lend his aid.

Standard: Hand of Radiance (vs Reflex)
Attack vs Ant H9: [roll0]
Attack vs Ant I8: [roll1]
Attack vs Ant I9: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3] radiant.

Move: to D15.

Ravian
2012-06-02, 01:23 PM
The soldier in the pit, while still off balance is able to avoid Elabon's attack

The ants are blasted away from Traaver's attack, causing the others to once again scuttle ever closer to the party's rear position while the soldiers eye's maintain their red sheen.

The drake from the Damacules estate rights itself and hisses fiercely at the ant in the pit with it, it bounds towards a flanking position with Elabon, ignoring the enraged ant snapping at it.

drake moves to H11, provoking an opportunity attack from the ant.
vs AC
[roll1] damage and the drake is grabbed in G12
((OOC: Geez these ants are not having any luck at all))
The ant clumsily snaps at the drake and manages to trip over itself again. Prompting the Drakes own retaliation

Drake's opportunity attack[roll]1d20+5 vs AC
1d10+9 damage

OOC:
The trees and the strewn trunks and branches are both difficult terrain, so Traaver only moved as far as C13. Keep this in mind with future movement

Ravian
2012-06-02, 01:30 PM
((And I forget once again, this wouldn't be such a problem if that ant did crit fail so much))

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage

The drake however is too focussed on getting into position that it is unable to retaliate in kind to the insect.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-06-07, 02:24 PM
Hastur slinks along through the grove, but seems to visibly withdraw away from Traaver when he gets near him. It's evident he isn't happy being so close to him and his strange powers.

But unhappy as he may be, it doesn't stop him from putting anouther round into the second ant behind Karak.

stealth check- [roll0]
Glaoming Cut attack roll- [roll1] +2 additional if successful in stealth check.
Base Damage- [roll2]
Sneak Attack Damage- [roll3]
Stealth check to stay hidden-[roll4]

((sorry for being the slow one here guys, i'll try to keep up better in the future))

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-07, 06:50 PM

Karak continues its fight against the ants that surround him, pushing them around with his shield and thighbone, trying to keep them busy while protecting his flanks. His movements are as strong as always, but he is also showing signs of getting tired - the ants are managing to hit the mark more often than at the start of the fight, and his own attacks miss the mark more often than not.

Karak
HP 18/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (1 used /12)

Standard: Roots of Stone (Close Burst 1)
[roll0] +1 from Araz's power
[roll1] +1 from Araz's power
[roll2] +1 from Araz's power
[roll3] +4 from Araz's power
Creates a zone. Any hit enemy that leaves it takes 3 damage and is prone

If this attack kills K12: Shift to J14, Mark all ants around me
If this attack doesn't kill K12: Mark all ants around me

Ravian
2012-06-08, 05:38 PM
The some of the ants continue their assault on Karak, but others begin to move on to other aggressors in the area. One moves on to Araz, one of the first to strike down one of their number, while another moves to aid its guardian down the pit against Elabon and the drake

Ant 2 and 4 move to F12 and F15 respectivelly
Ant 2 attacks Elabon: [roll0]
Ant 3 attacks Karak: [roll1] (CA)
Ant 4 attacks Araz: [roll2]
Ant 8 attacks Karak: [roll3]

Each hit deals 4 damage

despite their efforts none of the insects are able to land any solid hits against the party, who all easily block their attacks

Ascy
2012-06-09, 04:52 AM
Araz

"You okay down there?", Araz shouts down the hole, but before he can get an answer, one of the giant insects scuttles closer to him and snaps its mandibles dangerously close to his face.
Surprised, the half-elemental jumps backwards and almost instinctively throws his knife underhanded at his attacker.

Move Action: Shift to D15
Standard Action: Magic Weapon vs. Ant F15
[roll0]
[roll1]
On Hit: Hastur gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a +4 power bonus to damage rolls until the end of Araz' next turn.

Ravian
2012-06-09, 01:43 PM
Araz finds himself unable to manouvre through the strewn about branches and stumbles as he tries to retaliate against the ant, opening himself to another attack from the insect
((Can't shift into difficult terrain I'm afraid))
Ant makes an opportunity attack against Araz for his critical failure
[roll0] vs AC
4 damage if hit

Meanwhile the two soldiers continue their assaults on Karak and Elabon

Ant soldier one shifts to F10 to flank with the worker
Ant soldier 1 attacks Elabon
[roll1] vs AC (frenzied and CA)
[roll2] damage and target is grabbed
Ant soldier 2 attacks Karak
[roll3] vs AC (same bonuses as number 1)
[roll4] damage and target is grabbed

Ravian
2012-06-13, 06:42 PM
((Going to just post for Elabon to keep things moving along))

Eabon swings his alhulak at the soldier but focuses the resulting telekinetic shockwaves at the worker next to him

Concusive spike Augment 1 on Ant Soldier 1
[roll0] vs AC (CA from flanking)
[roll1] force damage and Ant worker 2 is pushed to F14

The ant however is able to avoid Elabon's strike

This is the turn order:

Hastur
Karak
Ant Workers
Araz
Ant Soldiers
Elabon
Traaver <-- we are here
Drake

Conundrum
2012-06-13, 06:51 PM
Traaver

Seeing his impromptu ally in the pit struggling to fight off the huge red ant, Traaver redirects his attention downwards. This time, he raises his hands into the sky, and a focussed beam of sunlight streams down towards the ant, as though a giant wielded a magnifying glass far above.

Then, mindful of the wary looks being cast his way from many in the group, he remains where he is to avoid drawing any ire.

Standard: Sun Strike vs Ant Solider 1
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] radiant.
Effect: Slide the target to H10.

Ravian
2012-06-15, 03:15 PM
Traaver's beam of radiance scorches the ant and blasts it against the wall of the pit. The Guard Drake takes this opportunity to snap at the large insect

Drake attacks Ant soldier 1
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage

The ant however barely manages to avoid the reptile's fangs

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-06-18, 05:38 PM
Thrice-damned leaves, getting in my shots... And that big lug fighting my target keeps obscuring my vision..Hastur curses as his shot misses, and eyes the encroaching ant near Araz closely, backing away for good measure. He loses anouther shot, hoping for a kill...

stealth check- [roll0]
Glaoming Cut attack roll- [roll1] +2 additional if successful in stealth check.
Base Damage- [roll2]
Sneak Attack Damage- [roll3]
Stealth check to stay hidden-[roll4]

Ravian
2012-06-18, 08:07 PM
((just a clarification: Which ant are you attacking? Also you forgot your damage bonus))

Ravian
2012-06-23, 08:20 PM
((ok Hastur's attack was against the soldier in the pit, sneak attacking and bloodying it, let's just keep moving))

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-06-23, 09:32 PM

A dark, dense liquid starts to seep from the many cuts in Karak's body. Karak seems unconcerned. He continues to engage with the creature around him, as a soft glow can be spied under the armour and grime, and the cuts disappear.

HP 22+3/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (1 used /12)
AC 22 Fort 15 Reflex 13 Will 14

Minor: Warforged resolve (+3 HP, +3 THP)

Standard: Second Wind (+8 HP +3 AC)

Free: Mark all enemies around me (I14, K12, K14)

Ravian
2012-06-25, 03:23 PM
Each of the Ant workers continue their assaults on their respective targets, intent on driving back or destroying these invaders

Ant 3 and 8 attack Karak, Ant 2 attacks Elabon and Ant 4 attacks Araz
Karak's ants:
[roll0]
[roll1] (CA)

Elabon's ant:
[roll2]

Araz's ant:
[roll3]

All hits deal 4 damage

One of the ants tears past the armor in Karak's leg but finds almost all of its damage ignored by the hardy golem. The other's are easily kept at bay by their adversaries.

Ascy
2012-06-25, 04:02 PM
Araz

Dodging the snapping mandibles of the giant insect, Araz swings down his knife in a stabbing motion, desperate to rid himself of this nuisance.

Standard Action: Magic Weapon
[roll0]
[roll1]

"How are you holding up there?", he shouts down the sinkhole, towards his allies.

Ravian
2012-06-26, 07:58 AM
The ant Araz attacks withdraws quickly from its adversaries retaliation intent to continue this dance to the death for the sake of the hive.

Meanwhile the soldiers continue in their assaults, the one in the pit recovering from Traaver's radiant beam and attacking the drake that has cornered it, despite the psychic compulsion set by Elabon.

The other soldier directs its attention in the golem caught within its mandibles and arches its abdomen towards its victim. Karak glimpses a sharp barb coated in a clear hissing liquid before the ant moves to plunge the barb into Karak's stone body.

Ant Soldier 1 attacks guard drake (violating Elabon's mark)
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage and the drake is grabbed

Ant Soldier 2 attacks Karak (who it has grabbed)
[roll2] (CA from flanking) vs AC
[roll3] acid damage and ongoing 5 acid damage

The drake is suddenly seized within the ant's jaws despite Elabon's attempts to dissuade it, causing the reptile to hiss in pain.

Karak feels exceptional discomfort as his stone body begins to be coroded away by the ant's potent acid sting.

Emongnome777
2012-06-26, 05:02 PM
Elebon focuses his effort into killing the nearest ant with his alhulak.

Since the ant soldier wasn't in melee with Elebon, he couldn't punish it for the mark violation.

Standard Action:
Bull's Strength (unaugmented) vs. Giant Ant 2
...Hit: [roll1] damage and the target is pushed 1 square to E13

Move Action:
Shift to G11
With a loud *crack* as the alhulak comes down on its head, the ant falls. He steps closer to the ant soldier to force it to fight him.

Ravian
2012-06-26, 08:14 PM
The two soldiers' eyes shade red again as Elabon's attack falls there hive mate. The other workers suddenly break off their attacks and begin moving down into the pit.

Hive soldier's frenzy- both soldier's are at +2 attack until end of next turn

Hive worker's frenzy- ant 3 shifts to H13, ant 4 to G14, and ant 8 to I14

Conundrum
2012-06-29, 04:33 PM
Traaver

Frustrated by the pit and the continued wariness of his makeshift allies preventing him from closing distance on the ants, Traaver focusses the harsh sunlight on the biggest of the ants mauling the giant quiet man. He then moves back the way he came, emerging out of the thick olive branches and attempting to get into the clear.

Standard: Sun Strike vs Ant Soldier K12
On a hit, push the ant to L12.

Move: to D9 (should be possible with difficult terrain)

Ravian
2012-06-30, 04:12 PM
The ant is scorched thoroughly by Traaver's bolt of sunlight, burning straight through its carapace. The insect begins to convulse in its final throes of life, forcing Karak to avoid being dragged to the ground with the ant's corpse

Death convulsion: close burst 1 targetting Karak
[roll0] vs Reflex (CA and frenzy)
if hit Karak is knocked prone

The golem manages to pry himself loose from the ants jaws before it collapses to the ground

The other workers continue in their dashing frenzy down the pit, swarming towards the two offending Half-elves

Hive Worker's frenzy
Ant 3 shifts to f11 Ant 4 to f12 and Ant 8 to h13

The guard drake looks furious by so many intruding insects around it and quickly snaps at the one latched onto it.

Drake attacks remaining Ant soldier
[roll1] vs AC
[roll2] damage

It finds itself at an akward angle to attack within the creature's mandibles and can not retaliate in kind

((New turn))
Turn order:
Hastur
Karak
Workers
Araz
Soldiers
Elabon
Traaver
Drake

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-07-03, 08:55 AM
A river of colorful curses flow from Hastur's lips when he realizes he has no clear shot to the larger ant. Taking a deep swig from his hip flask to calm himself, he pushes his way through the grove to the edge of the pit, not caring to sneak, and fires off a shot into the nearest ant ((the one on row 12)).

attack- [roll0]
damage- [roll1]

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-07, 06:17 PM

Dripping acid, grime and dark liquid, Karak pushes through the many complaints coming from his body as he circles the battlefield to flank the last warrior ant. Strange blue sparks come down his arms as he attacks the creature.

HP 10/33 Bloodied 16 Healing Surge 8 (2 used /12)

[roll0] (Warden sp. ability; warforged bonus)

Move: to I9
Standard: Mark of Thunder
[roll1] (inc. CA)
[roll2], and the target is marked by Karak. On top of the usual violations, if he attacks others and not Karak, he takes 5 damage.

[roll3] (in case the one at the turn start failed)

OOC: I could use a little healing

Ravian
2012-07-08, 02:24 PM
The ant's abdomen crumples under Karak's hammer, but it's legs continue flailing as it convulses, threatening to knock over not only Elabon and the drake, but also Karak as its flailing makes the edges of the pit unstable

Death convulsion against Elabon, Drake and Karak
Elabon [roll0] (frenzied) vs Reflex
Karak [roll1] vs Reflex
Drake [roll2] vs Reflex

Hits will knock you prone

All of the party nearby lose their footing as the ant flails in its death throes. Meanwhile the remaining ants move in to begin savaging the fallen adventurers

Hive worker frenzy:
Ant workers 3, 4 and 8 shift to H10, F10 and H12 respectively

Ravian
2012-07-08, 02:35 PM
The worker's begin to attack the prone half-elf and drake within the pit
Ant 3 attacks drake
[roll0] vs AC (CA) (Violating mark by Karak)

Ant 4 attacks Elabon
[roll1] vs AC (CA)

Ant 8 attacks Elabon
[roll2] vs AC (CA) (Violating mark by Karak)
each hit deals 4 damage

Both Elabon and the drake are unable to stop the ants' mandibles ripping into them.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-08, 03:56 PM

Even laying flat on his back, Karak lashes out against the ants. The nearest gets targeted even before it can attack its own prey.

Mark violation: Ant 3 (interrupts its attack against the drake, targets Fort)
[roll0] (inc. +2CA -2Prone)
[roll1]
A bunch of effects if hit, but being a minion it'll die, so I won't list them.

Mark violation: Ant 8 (does not interrupt its attack)
Shift to I11, ant cannot shift and is slowed until EOmNT

Ravian
2012-07-09, 11:10 AM
The ant is crushed under the golem's mighty hammer, while primal spirits hold the other ant from scuttling away. The remianing ant quickly scampers out of the pit towards Traaver.

Hive Worker's Frenzy
Ant 4 shifts up the pit to E9

((OOC: It is now Araz's turn))

Ascy
2012-07-10, 11:21 AM
Araz

Relieved that the insect seemed to have lost its interest, Araz moves closer to the big shape of Karak, who showed signs of wear.
From the edge of the sink hole, he throws his knife at one of the remaining ants with his right hand, while his left searches his pockets for a helpful potion. As he sees his knife miss spectacularly, he throws a small vial towards Karak in the hope that it would help his comrade.

Move Action: Move to I14

Standard Action: Magic Weapon vs. Ant H12
[roll0]
[roll1]

Minor Action: Curative Admixture: Karak regains his surge value +1 HP.

Ravian
2012-07-12, 08:56 PM
((OOC: Reminder, since both the soldiers are dead it is now Elabon's turn))

Ravian
2012-07-14, 10:48 AM
((Going for Elabon to move the game along))
The half-elf lashes out with his flail upon the remaining ant in the pit

Bull's strength against ant 8
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] damage

The ant crumples under the force of the blow, and the final ant begins a mad scuttling retreat back towards the tunnels
Ant 4 shifts to G7

((It is now Traaver's turn))

Conundrum
2012-07-14, 12:28 PM
Traaver

"Oh, no you don't!" Traaver calls as he sees the last ant finally retreating. Another volley of the strange magic launches from his fingers, seeking to prevent the insect's escape.

Seeing the bolt fly wide, he mutters a curse and moves to cut off the ant's escape.

Standard: Hand of Radiance vs the ant

Move: to F6, without provoking AoO.

Ravian
2012-07-14, 05:52 PM
The ant avoids Traaver's attack barely noticing in it's singleminded rush to escape

Meanwhile the drake begins to claw at the wall of the pit, in an attempt to climb up the packed sand wall

Athletics check
[roll0]

Despite a few slips the drake manages to crawl to the top
Drake moves to I10

((It is now Hastur's turn))

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-07-16, 06:47 PM
Just die, why dontcha, ya little piss! Hastur roars as he wanders out of the grove over to the last remaining ant. He makes no move to disguise himself, and it is quite clear that he has had enough of these ants. He looses a shot from his crossbow, hoping to end the battle.

Attack roll- [roll0]
((i'll just skip any effects or damages, because if this hits, we're done here.))EDIT: Looks like a hit. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

Gotcha! Hastur yells as the bolt finds its way into the insect's disgusting head. As creature dies, he drains the rest of the brew from his flask, so as to reward himself. Wiping the droplets from his beard and refilling the flask, he says Now we can finally move on into the estate!

Ravian
2012-07-16, 09:50 PM
((You did indeed hit. Combat over everyone, good job))

With the last ant finally dead, the path lays clear to the burrow that the Drake has led you to.

Note that I'm not tracking experience. You level up after 5 encounters. You still have 3 more to go until level 2

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-16, 10:00 PM

Karak seems unperturbed by the beaten he has taken during the battle. The strange marking under the grime briefly shine as if reflecting the unrelating sun, but he goes about his business, ignoring them. Instead, he kneels next to the little drake, trying to see what it discovered.

"This battle was harder than I expected," he suddenly says, apropos of nothing much, "The drake is is wounded. How did the rest of you fare? Shall we continue our examination of the ant cave? Shall we reconvene to our primary mission? Should we attempt to gain compensation for the unexpected danger to the grove from the proprietor?"

As before, Karak seems to hold a number of thoughts at the same time in his head, but at the same time, seems incapable of expressing them in an orderly fashion.

I'll use 2 HS to go back to full HP. Also, guys: those of us that have been through 2 fights get an extra AP.

Karak will use perception to find out what he can from the drake's digging for now, but will not advance until the party decides.

[roll0]

Conundrum
2012-07-17, 04:13 AM
Traaver

"Hold up one second," Traaver interrupts the big man's disjointed trains of thought. "How about you lot tell me what's going on here? I wasn't gonna press for details while fighting for our lives, but we've got a moment to catch our breath here."

He looks around at the grove; at the digging drake and the big man kneeling near it. "You said you're hunting Hejkin, and that there's remuneration involved. Why? And what are you doing messing around with these ants?"

I don't think I got hit, so no need to spend healing surges :smallbiggrin:

Ascy
2012-07-18, 09:41 AM
Araz

The half-elemental tends to his wounds, wrapping a small piece of cloth around the nasty bite mark the ant gave him.
As the newcomer starts to ask questions, he shoots him a glance that is equal parts amusement and suspicion.

"I think the better question would be what you are doing on the Damacules' estate?
We were not told of any other... visitors around here, so that leaves you as either a looter or a random wanderer.
And the first kind is way more common."

Spend 1 Surge to get to 28/30 HP, and another one to refill the infusion.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-07-18, 10:33 AM
Traaver

He looks around at the grove; at the digging drake and the big man kneeling near it. "You said you're hunting Hejkin, and that there's remuneration involved. Why? And what are you doing messing around with these ants?"

"The owner of the estate does not wish his grove damaged. Ants were not mentioned. Payment was promised for the likely culprits, Hejkin. Hejkin lair is underground. Ants may be added to the payment if a case is made that they were damaging the grove. Danger was likely if we did not secure the topside before descending into the Hejkin layer."

Conundrum
2012-07-20, 07:23 PM
Traaver

Traaver pauses for a moment while he parses the disjointed speech, then nods, satisfied.

Replying to the half-elemental, he says "As it turns out, I'm the second. My story's not as interesting as it might seem, though, so I'll spare you the details. For now, at least. If you're looking for a hand here, I'd be willing to help out, provided I'm allowed my share of the profits."

Ravian
2012-08-01, 03:03 PM
The sun begins to beat down heavily upon the sands, and it's beginning to become scorching hot. The drake paces impatiently upon the hot sand before beginning to slink back towards the estate. You can guess by a few heavily vandalized stones a short distance beyond the tunnel opening that the majority of the Hejkin warrens are outside the drake's territory. It does not look like it will continue with you without significant persuasion.

Ascy
2012-08-04, 06:34 AM
Araz

"We can talk about the payment when we have the job done. You won't go home with empty pockets, be assured."

Still not convinced of a lucky coincidence, but content for now, Araz wipes sweat from his brow. It was getting hotter and hotter, and while he could endure the heat moderately well, he wasn't keen on staying outside any longer than necessary.

"I say we get inside the manor. We'll have cover from the sun, and after all, that's what Damacules sent us out to do."

Conundrum
2012-08-06, 11:56 AM
Traaver

"Well, if we - er, you - weren't offered any payment for the Hejkin, then let's get inside, eh?" Traaver agrees. "I've been outside for far too long already. And hey, the manor looks like it might be fairly well-equipped? I'm starving."

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-08-06, 12:07 PM
Traaver

"Well, if we - er, you - weren't offered any payment for the Hejkin, then let's get inside, eh?" Traaver agrees. "I've been outside for far too long already. And hey, the manor looks like it might be fairly well-equipped? I'm starving."

"Cellars might contain alcoholic beverages. Entering the mansion from the side door might be more to the drake's liking. Some cold storage might be found. Hejkin invasion should be reachable from both sides. Hejkin may have found the food. The heat is adversely affecting me as well. Some cooling would be appreciated."

Karak's speech is definitely becoming more muddled, and somewhat slower. He moves under the trees for some relief, and beckons the drake to him.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-06, 08:04 PM
Impatient with the idle chatter, and extremly annoyed that Araz had granted this strange newcomer a share of their profits without asking anyone else, Hastur takes anouther brisk gulp from his flask and makes his way towards the hole to the cellar. If you girls are done gossiping, then you might wanna come along and get this job done. In case you forgot, we aren't getting paid to stand 'round Damacules' orchard and bitch about the heat. It's cooler in the cellar anyways. He walks to the cellar without looking back.

((I don't think i was hit either, so i'll hang on to my surges.))

Ravian
2012-08-07, 09:28 AM
You return to the manor, its vandalized grounds coming back into view, with a start however you realize that the corpses of the Hejkin you had fought previously are nowhere to be found, however a trail of blood leads from the grounds down the broken door of the cellar. The drake let's out several hisses but appears shaken, as if there it senses something disturbing within it's territory.

Conundrum
2012-08-08, 02:23 PM
Traaver

The half-elf looks at the big man with a slightly cocked head as he again talks in his strange disjointed way, but declines to comment for now. As they approach the cellar door, he suddenly bursts out, "Ah! Where are my manners? My name's Traaver."

When they reach the cellar door, he stands aside so as not to presume anything and allow the others to enter first.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-13, 02:22 PM
Hastur sniffs as he passes by this Traaver. Well, Traaver, you seem capable enough. I don't know what kind of powers you just used, and i'm not sure I want to, but so long as they keep frying these little dirt rats, I'll hold my tongue about it. He marches down the tunnel, but keeps the rest of his thoughts on Traaver to himself... for now.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-08-13, 09:33 PM

As they return to the front of the house, Karak staggers off-route, walking directly towards one of the pools. Without even slowing down, Karak plunges into it, sinking to the bottom, its descent leaving a trail of mud and grime clouding the water. He stays under the water longer than any human could.

A few minutes later, though, Karak's hand breaks the surface of the water, grabs the side of the pool, and hauls his body out. Most of the grime is gone, replaced with his rune-marked clay skin, and some very waterlogged hides haphazardly covering his massive body.

"Forgive the delay due to my actions. The heat was adversely affecting my thought process. I will be more effective in our Purpose now. Shall we continue onwards into the basement? Our objective, and promised rewards, await."

Conundrum
2012-08-14, 10:08 AM
Traaver

Traaver stares, mouth agape. Eventually he coughs politely. "Um, after you then..." he manages.

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-14, 10:50 AM
Hastur holds back, waiting for Karak to take the point. He's starting to enjoy his "companions" less and less. There was obviously something strange about him from the start, but this was getting out of hand. Alright, now hold on here. What was that with the pool? Just who-or what- the hell are you? Why are you made of clay? I'd like some answers before I follow you in here!

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-08-14, 07:42 PM
Alright, now hold on here. What was that with the pool? Just who-or what- the hell are you? Why are you made of clay? I'd like some answers before I follow you in here!

"I required cooling. Water is an excellent heat sink. Even in this strange weather, water provides with protection from the heat. As I already said, I am Karak Grint. I do not have further identification. I was created on the 23rd year of the rule of the Khalifa Algrabal, to defend the city and its lands. I was judged of poor quality and discarded. I awoke in this desert. I cannot find the city of the Khalifa. I am indeed made of clay. I am sorry I cannot say why clay was used. I was not given knowledge of the purpose of clay, or the means to create other golems. Do you require further answers?"

TheKoalaNxtDoor
2012-08-18, 11:14 AM
Shocked at first by the answers, but then annoyed at the golem's matter of factness, Hastur can't think of a suitable response. Instead, he just narrows his eyes and takes anouther chug before continuing on down the tunnel.

Ravian
2012-08-18, 05:07 PM
As you begin down the passage into the cellar, the heat outside is quickly replaced with a clinging chill, which, while certainly preferable to midday Athasian heat, gives those with flesh and blood goosebumps while causing Karak to put a touch more exertion into his movements as the runes on his body are unable to draw upon heat from the sun. As you go down you notice that the drake has stayed behind at the top of the stairs. It appears very unwilling to venture down and emits what sounds like a cross between a hiss and a whimper.

The chill does not impose any penalty upon you. It is purely for setting the tone.

Ravian
2012-08-26, 08:35 AM
((Going ahead since we've stalled here.))

Despite your best efforts the drake does not appear interested in moving, and instead stays above the staircase.

As you reach the bottom of the cellar staircase, you see rows of shelves, upon which clay amphoras are set. A few of these shelves appear to have been knocked over recently by the splintering, and olive oil spills from the smashed amphoras that were set upon them. The only light filters down from the staircase, giving a dim illumination to the front half of the cellar, wall sconces set with unlighted oil lamps line the walls uncovered by the shelves. More of the Hejkin blood is leads down the rows of shelves near the back of the cellar, which remains in total darkness.

You suddenly hear a hiss echoing around the cellar, different from the almost canine noises of the guard drake or the typical hisses heard from snakes. Those hisses constitute a warning to potential threats, this one somehow feels more like a taunt, as if the hisser is enjoying that a meal had just waltzed right into its lair.

Will post the map later today. Let's try to keep this thing moving guys, I don't want it to just die on us.

Grey_Wolf_c
2012-08-26, 09:06 AM

Karak turns to consider the wounded guard drake, the golem's eyes unscrutable as he looks up at the receeding square of light. Halfway down the stairs, he declares, "The Guard Drake has done enough. He can guard our exit. We might need it later."

Karak is the first to reach the bottom of the stairs, his mekillot carapace covering all of them. He contemplates the broken jar, and seemingly independent of all volition, picks up one of the broken ones, upends it over his mouth, and drinks the remaining contents. "Very good quality." is all he says before the hisses return his attention to the matter at hand. The shield returns to ready position, as his eyes scour the darkness for the enemies.

I'm happy with leaving the drake behind, but we can ret-con this if anyone wants me to try and lure him down.

[roll0]