PDA

View Full Version : "Please Delete My Post"

Karoht
2012-02-03, 01:45 PM
I keep seeing this in threads when someone double-posts.
They'll edit the second post to say "Double Post Please Delete"

I'm confused. If you press Edit, there is an option at the top of the page that says "Delete Message"

Is there a situation where one could edit a message but not delete it? I've always been able to delete my double posts.
Is it bad forum manners or against the rules to delete my own double posts?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-03, 01:51 PM
Some people (particularly new posters) don't know about that handy little feature and as such may believe that only Mods can delete posts.

Rockphed
2012-02-03, 01:54 PM
It isn't helped by the occasional incidence of double threads, which I am fairly certain only mods can delete. Or at least only mods can delete if there is more than one post.

Also, the mods occasionally tell people "don't stealth bump", meaning don't make a post in a thread and delete it so as to avoid double posting. So maybe people think that the mods would rather we didn't delete posts.

This all raises the question of whether or not we should delete posts.

Karoht
2012-02-03, 02:02 PM
It isn't helped by the occasional incidence of double threads, which I am fairly certain only mods can delete. Or at least only mods can delete if there is more than one post.Again, I've deleted my own double posts. So clearly one can delete a post, double or not double.

Also, the mods occasionally tell people "don't stealth bump", meaning don't make a post in a thread and delete it so as to avoid double posting. So maybe people think that the mods would rather we didn't delete posts.

This all raises the question of whether or not we should delete posts.Emphasis mine. I guess that really becomes more of the issue.

I didn't want to send double posters a private message encouraging them to delete their own posts if we aren't supposed to.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-03, 02:05 PM
There is a difference between a double post and a double thread:smalltongue:

Karoht
2012-02-03, 02:10 PM
Okay, then I will clarify, seeing as I never mentioned additional threads.

I am refering to posts in a thread.

IE
Post 1-Ms Black-Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Post 2-Mr Blue-BlahblahblahblahblahblahblahBlahblahblahblahblahbl ahblah
Post 3-Mr Awesome-Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Post 4-Mr Awesome- Double post, please delete.
Post 5-Mrs Green-Blahblahblahblahblahblahblah
Post 6-Mr Talkstoomuch-BlahblahblahblahblahblahblahBlahblahblahblahblahbl ahblah

Nerd-o-rama
2012-02-03, 02:37 PM
In that case, you definitely should delete your post. I don't really get why this is a question. I assumed people just didn't actually look at the edit screen when they opened it.

Roland St. Jude
2012-02-03, 02:55 PM
...I don't really get why this is a question. I assumed people just didn't actually look at the edit screen when they opened it.
Sheriff: Indeed. Yes, posters have the ability to delete their own posts. We encourage you to do so when it is for an appropriate reason (like when you accidentally double post or when the technology hiccups and multi-posts for you). We discourage you from doing so when it is for an inappropriate reason (to stealth bump a thread or trolling).

Posters cannot delete threads, though. So, for that, just report the duplicate thread and we'll lock, delete, or merge it as seems appropriate.