PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on archery feats for a Scout

Averis Vol
2012-02-03, 05:47 PM
hay everyone, i'm working on a level 8 character that uses some common scout combos for skirmish and i am intending on using archery. now my question is: is taking manyshot even worth it? or should i stick with BaB and rapid?

(exact levels are ranger 2/Wizard (conjurer)/scout 4/order of the bow initiate 1)

Flickerdart
2012-02-03, 06:16 PM
Manyshot is useless for a Scout since you only apply precision damage once, but Greater Manyshot is the one you want. It has a significant feat cost, though, so if you can get a reliable way of moving and full attacking that costs less, then it's a better choice.

Why Wizard and OotBI though?

Averis Vol
2012-02-03, 06:29 PM
thanks for the quick response. at this point i have 15 free moves a day, 11 from items and 4 from the PhB 2 variant for conjurers, which lets them teleport 10 feet in a direction as a swift action. thats why i took the one level dip. OoTBI is for if i ever cant take a full action my standard still gets the bonus Precision damage, so i'm not completely screwed. (it gets up to like an extra 5d8)

Flickerdart
2012-02-03, 06:43 PM
+5d8 on a single attack is average of 22.5, AKA "not worth your time". You would be far better off with more Ranger or Scout levels.

Darrin
2012-02-03, 07:13 PM
hay everyone, i'm working on a level 8 character that uses some common scout combos for skirmish and i am intending on using archery. now my question is: is taking manyshot even worth it? or should i stick with BaB and rapid?

It depends on what sort of movement method you're using to activate your skirmish damage. If you have a reliable way to move more than 10' + full attack (such as Travel Devotion 3/day or more), then Rapid Shot + Improved Rapid Shot is probably the best the way to go and you can skip Manyshot/Greater Manyshot.

If your DM is deliberately making it difficult for you to activate Skirmish on a full attack, then Greater Manyshot may be your best way around that.

Averis Vol
2012-02-03, 08:21 PM
Flickerdart: fair enough, i thought it would be a nice handful of damage if i am denied my skirmish, i might take more scout since in level or two i get another die of skirmish.

Darrin: its not too hard to get my skirmish, i'm using boots (Gloves) of swift passage, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, and Dimensional stride boots. and unless my dm gets creative, he thinks a little too inside the box, i should be fine.

thank you two, you have confirmed what i needed to know.

edit: improved rapid shot requires many shot anyways, so i might take greater many shot too, just in case.