PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Zerter

Pages : [1] 2

Monodominant
2012-02-03, 07:17 PM
Zerter and DMs only. Tresspassers get sent to the needle mines!

The inside of the Drowned Mermaid is that of a simple tavern. A dozen tables, only 4 of them occupied, arranged around the room as evenly as possible.

The smell of fish permeats the atmosphere and you see that the majority of the patrons are eating rather than drinking.

Zerter
2012-02-04, 02:21 AM
"Mmm... soup. I'm gonna get something to eat as well, you want anything?" (I order myself some soup and Anakin anything he wants within reasonable cost and non-alcoholic, unless it's socially acceptable for a boy his age to drink alcohol, which I doubt).

Assuming nothing unusual happens while ordering, I'll sit down at a table and while trying out the soup make conversation, "So Anakin, tell me your story. I have all the time in the world so no need to leave anything out."

Monodominant
2012-02-04, 06:48 AM
The kid also orders a soup and they bring your hot steaming plates in a few minutes.

The soup is strong and good and it warms you up, something in dire need after the cold and the snowball fight.

Half-way through eating his bowl and after dipping a third of a loaf of bread in it Anakin starts talking.

He tells you that his father had been a guardsman but had died some years ago when the Jacks, a powerful gang, had risen to power in the criminal underbelly of the city. His mother had sent him off as an apprentice to a local smith but he wasnt really good at it. His mother died last winter and since then he has been working here and there, living in the streets if the weather permits or at an employers house if he gets some work.

He has worked as a messenger boy, lookout and even pick-pocket and has done alright for himself so far. Unfortunately though his previous master was picked up by the Guard not so long ago during a raid in an Old Town shady tavern.

Zerter
2012-02-04, 07:23 AM
Dipping bread myself and listening patiently, I reply in the end "It's sad to hear your parents are gone Anakin, you must miss them very much. You seem self-sufficient which is one of the best qualities a man can have in life. I pride myself on having many skills and think there's no shame in pickpocketing to survive, though a key factor in that type of activities is not to get caught like your previous master did."

"One of the first lessons I can try to teach you is that there's no profit in carrying a grudge. I don't know how your father died and how you feel about it, but trying to get even with these Jacks someday will only end up hurting you for no real gains. Just like you have a story so does everyone else. Understanding that and giving your emotions a place will make you a lot stronger. When two men try to destroy each other over a piece of gold the winner is the third man that takes the gold while the others fight. In life we will try to be that third man."

"Nevertheless your story does raise questions for me. Who are the Jacks? What is your old master for kind of guy and will he be looking for you when (if) he gets out? What happened to your father exactly? Do you have any other family? Given that I have time to kill I'd be interested in exploring these questions myself, naturally I'd be interested first to see if you could shine any further light on them yourself."

Sense motive to check if he's trustworthy. Also, I'm supposed to be from Aldhaven, does that mean I have a place where I can sleep and possibly offer the boy to do the same? I'd understand it if that's not the case since that would give an advantage over players not from Aldhaven.

Monodominant
2012-02-04, 07:49 AM
He isnt lieing to you as far as you can tell. Maybe making the story somewhat more melodramatic but the core is true beyond doubt.

He shrugs at the mention of further family.

"If I do its been too long since anyone looked out for me and I looked for them. Noone came to claim me or noone cared..." he says with bitterness.

"As for Merin. Well he was more a brute than a thug if truth be told. He sold his services doing 'hard labor'..." he says the phrase as if its supposed to mean something "... so I cant say I did much for him... keeping an eye out, hearing about interesting marks and all that. Not my finest hour but one has to survive... I doubt he will be looking for me or even get out his predicament alive. If what I heard is true they caught pretty much everyone and two guardsmen were wounded... that probably means the culprits have a straight ticket to the needle mines..." he finishes this part of his story and also finishes his soup.

"As for the Jacks. I guess you must have lived a pretty closeted life mister third man. The Jacks were the paragon criminal organisation in the city. They had every finger in every pie except for slave-trade... even they had standards. They ruled the whole city as far as illegal activity was concerned with the exception of the Docks during the night and the Noble's Quarter... though rumor had it they had some Nobles in their pockets..." he pauses once again.

"All that is history now though. Its widely known that a marqueed agent of a duchess along with Guard teams and some murmour in the dark, also with the help of the Skulks and the Kobolds and maybe even the Korps, destroyed them all. Their leaders, the Nightman and Dayman were both taken and delivered along with two dozen of them to the Fortress and the rest were killed... I am sure there are some remnants here and there but they are probably too scared to act again..."

Reading your background you are from out of town. So you may have been living in Aldhaven under rent. So you can tell me how much you are willing to spend per month on accomodation and I will tell you whats your place like and in which district etc.

If you want to -own- a house you need to be a citizen. To be a citizen you must petition the City council... you can figure out more in game.

Zerter
2012-02-04, 08:55 AM
I nod, listen and laugh ("Mr Third Man, I like that!"). Afterwards I change the topic, "Hey Anakin, are you a citizen? Because I definitely want to be one. I'm not sure how to do it though. Lets ask around and maybe get you some papers as well."

I also give him 10 gp for any spending he needs to do (subtracted from my sheet).

I start asking around for the following information, taking Anakin with me and trying to teach him how to best ask around:

- How do you become a citizen (what are the requirements)?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of being a citizen?

My intent with the background was that I had lived in the city since being a toddler or so, but if I'm not a citizen and can't own property that way I guess that's something I'd like to achieve : D. I'd be kinda excited about being send to the mines one day, would be awesome to play an imprisoned someone (don't do it though : [ ). Not sure what the standards are, but I'd be willing to spend 100 gp a month on a house right now and more in the future.

I'll make two gather information checks for each question:

First question
[roll0]
[roll1]

Second question
[roll2]
[roll3]

Monodominant
2012-02-04, 09:00 AM
Need to go now and this post merits a long answer so I will be back with you in the evening!

Hope you are enjoying it so far.

PS>

You DONT want to go to the needle mines...

Zerter
2012-02-04, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I like it so far. I like to make sure the story keeps going and that I'm not just walking around looking for stuff to do, but on the other hand I don't want to be taken by hand either, the story needs to flow naturally. I'm not looking for a questgiver that gives me some objective to achieve, if something like that comes naturally then that's great, but if I spend 50 pages just talking with people and doing random stuff that's fine as well.

I don't know anything about the needle mines, but you can be sure that if I get send there for some reason I'm gonna try and continue playing the character :D

Monodominant
2012-02-04, 06:09 PM
Anakin assures you he is not a citizen. Just being born in Aldhaven does not guaranteed citizenship.

You spend the needed time to gather the information and you basically learn the following.

Aldhaven is ruled by the Nobles but at the same there is a civic authority. The city council. With the exception of the Noble's Quarter the City Council basically runs the day to day activities of the city and handles everything that needs handling.

People (non noble) in Aldhaven without particular titles are split into freemen or citizens and ... well others.

The two most important difference between citizens and non-citizens is that the former are allowed to actually own land or property. They then can participate and attend council meetings though as not actual council members they cant vote.

A freeman/citizen that actually owns land or property can run for office and eventually become councilman, alderman or even Council chairman.

Generally citisens are treated better from the Guard and the Aldhaven authorities but the difference is small. Merchants that are citisens are also taxed less.

The only negative of being a citisen is that in a case of war citisens are supposed to help protect the city and as such can be drafted in the Guard.

To become a citizen one needs to complete a series of documents with personal information and provide a stable address and also present himself in the next council meeting along with 2 witnesses. There is then a hearing where he presents why he should be a citisen and his being a citisen benefits the city. The two witnesses need already BE citisens and they need to basically vouch for him. The last few decades though this process has become easier as there are people who attend such meetings and sell their service as witnesses. Its generally frowned upon and maybe called out but it happens.

Zerter
2012-02-04, 06:23 PM
I'd be interested in knowing when the next council meeting is as well as the one after that (in case the next one comes too early for my taste). As well as where I can obtain the documents I need to fill out (and if there are costs related to this or obtaining citizenship in general). Also if my current adress qualifies as a stable adress. If my previous Gather Information checks are not enough to cover this information, I'll make a few new ones.

I'll worry about the witnesses later, basically I just want to know how to get as much technical stuff as possible out of the way so all I need to do is show up and make a proper presentation.

Possible gather information checks: [roll0], [roll1]

Also, does me coming from a noble family outside of Aldhaven, as per my background, mean anything in any way (either good or bad), in terms of what I can achieve in Aldhaven in terms of say, citizenship or noble rank?

Monodominant
2012-02-05, 05:42 AM
Had a nice long long post and forum ate it. I HATE THIS SO MUCH!

You learn that there is a council meeting a week from today and then a month after that. This council meeting is an auspicious event as a new councilman that just got elected a couple of days ago will be taking his place in the council officially.

The documents that need to be completed can be picked up from the council chambers in Midtown. You will also need to indicate if you want to have a hearing at that council or the next as you need to be put in the agenda. The cost is 50gold coins that are needed to give the document the proper seals.

Your current address does indeed qualify.

-=-

You residence.

Your flat is a nice flat in the Mages Quarter. The Mages quarter is one of the nicest areas of the city, well taken care off and well guarded. There are small parks and plazas with fountains and the majority of the buildings are private residences of two floors. The district is known for the many arcane establishments including magic shops, alchemists and apothecaries. It also boasts the 'nicest' guard precinct of the city and is generally considered a good fortune to serve there.

Yours is on the second floor of an older building overlooking the Bel-Elen plaza. The flat comprises of a master bedroom that also has space for a study, and a guest bedroom. There is also a nicely furnished and spacious living room and a kitchen along with 2 servants rooms. Lastly there is a small storage room.

You currently have 1 servant, a housekeeper/cook that your mother sent with you to the city. She is paid 5 gold a month and you are also expected to give her money to keep the house in good condition and the pantry stocked.

In the plaza below there is a butchers, a general store, a barbers and a bakery.

-=-

Your status.

Nobles are generally priviledges citisens in Aldhaven. Nobles of the "country" though are seen with some derision from the higher classes and considered second class. The term "hedge nobles" is something that is heard often in balls for example.

In your case as you dont have a title you generally are treated better than the average citizen but not much better. Still some doors are open for you and you have the potential to ascend a ladder that others dont have any access to.

Overall if you choose to use your last name openly and wear your family's coat of arms openly you do get more respect from the "everyman" that respects the nobility and from the guard. It wont get out of trouble though as it would a full Aldhaven noble.

Lastly your status does not give you access to the Nobles Quarter. You know that, that area of the city is restricted to the highest of the Noble families and their servants and noone else is allowed there on pain of severe punishments. Not even the Guard has access there and that Quarter is policed by a speciliased, hand picked elite force.

Zerter
2012-02-05, 06:18 AM
I'll go with the council meeting five weeks from now and will go to Midtown to pick up the documents and pay the fee right away. I'm also curious in regards to Anakin, what is his exact age?

I'll take Anakin with me, "In the long run we should get you citizenship as well, if you want it anyway. It will open doors for you."

I won't wear the coat of arms openly just yet, but I do retain the option by making sure I can when I want to. Sounds like I have a nice place, gotta start making some gold eventually though because I can't pay more than 2/3 months of rent.

My D&D session starts in an hour, going there now. Might be able to login 1x if someone is late or when we eat, but otherwise I'll be engaged till pretty late.

Monodominant
2012-02-05, 11:49 AM
Anakin is 13 winters old as far as he can remember.

"Dont got no permanent address mister ThirdMan sir! And doubt I can answer the question how I am useful to the city truthfully!" he says and grins.

The council chambers is a very imposing building and you find it relatively easily. It takes some time until you find the correct place and the correct clerk but eventually you are given a pack of papers and you pay the fee.

"You need to complete them in triplicate" is the only thing he says before he leaves you.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 04:37 AM
I fill in the forms.

Can I perform somewhere in the streets or in a inn for money without a permit? If a permit helps, can I get one here? (I'll do it right away assuming reasonable costs). If possible I go to the place I think suited best for it and juggle there.

Knowledge (local) for best place to juggle: [roll0]
Sleight of hands juggle check: [roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 05:04 AM
The forms take you about two hours to complete. They ask an insane number of questions, namely about your background and family tree, relations to the city and political beliefs. Some of the questions are repeated with different phrasing as well.

You learn, at the same place, that performing is free if not done for money. The moment you put a hat down and the first coin enters that hat you are breaking guild law.

The guild to join is the guild of artists and performers that can be found in the Guildsman district. You learn that membership is steep but for life.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 05:12 AM
I have some questions, see gather information checks listed below.

Gather information (what does it mean to be part of a guild in general in regards to my social standing, responsibilities and doors it either opens or closes for me): [roll0], [roll1]
Gather information: How do I join the guild of artist & performers, and is there any good advice I can get in regards to joining? [roll2], [roll3]

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 05:52 AM
Membership in a guild in general does come with certain priviledges. Depending on the guild you may legally perform guild activities and sell your goods/services to the public. Some guilds have a one time fee and then take a percentage while others have a yearly membership fee.

As part of the guild you also get to vote in guild elections for guild master who then goes to represent the guilds interests by voting for councilor and Alderman responsible for Commerce in the city.

Lastly most guilds tend to have dedicated stores that cater to them and members get discounts or finer quality products from there. Unofficially the Guild also uses its political clout into protecting members when they face trouble though the extent of this depends on the guild members influence and position.

The responsibilities is that you have to pay your membership/percentage and an additional tax for them to the city. Those are the only responsibilities for those that dont care in more active participation. Active participation means you need to give "back" to the guild. Either by taking on an apprentice or by teaching your techniques more widely. Furthermore active participants that care to play the politics game need to make efforts to improve their field of expertise.

Guild membership is considered a show of willingess to work within the community. There are few Nobles that bother with such a thing but on the other hand it would look good for a citisenship application. There are Nobles that are patrons of particular guilds depending on their background and area of influence.

At the place you are asking, the Council offices you dont get that much about the particular guild. You learn that it is a long established guild that has ties to the royal houses as they provide entertainment for them. They have been operating for a a bit more than a couple of hundred years but are not considered one of the strong or influential guilds.

In order to join one needs to visit them in Guildmans District and apply. Usually there is also a hearing but this one is more practical where the candidate is called upon to show his skill before his peers and masters of the art.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 06:37 AM
Okay, thanks. I was worried about drawbacks like nobles looking down on people in a guild if I ever wanted to go in that direction and that joining this guild meant I can't join another. Not that I want to join another guild, but if I knew another guild then that might be different : D

I'll go to Guildmans District and apply. I'll take Anakin with me, "How would you like to be an apprentice Anakin?"

He pickpocketed without getting caught a lot (I assume), so he should have some sleight of hand skills and hopefully aptidute at least.

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 06:39 AM
Ah yes sorry I did forget that. Membership in one guild excludes your from membership to another... unless if you lie about it...

Do you want to reconsider your action?

Zerter
2012-02-06, 06:43 AM
Depends on the outcome of the following: what guild are there and what do they do? I'm more of a diplomat or generally skilled person than a entertainer really, so if there's something in that direction I might prefer it.

gather information: [roll0][roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 08:09 AM
Current well known guilds in Aldhaven are:

Guild of Artists and Performers
Guild of Aldhaven Farmers (Union)
Guild of Artificers/Smiths (all types of smiths and artificers as well as alchemists)
Arcane Order
The Blessed Bookkeepers
Guild of Deep Treasures
Guild of Starlight and Shadows
Merchants Guild
Videum Obscurom
Mercenaries Guild (Union)

There is currently a petition for an Apothecarie's Guild to be sanctioned.

There is no guild of "diplomats" as that is something handled by the Nobility since it affects the relations of Aldhaven as a City-State and its rivals and allies.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 08:15 AM
Okay, thanks for the information. I'll go to the Guild of Artists and Performers and apply.

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 09:01 AM
You find the building in the center of Guildsman district. Its a large two story building with marble statues all around.

You push forward the big double doors that form the entrance and are greeted by a cacophony of sound that was not heard at all from the outside.

Numerous people are chatting, running around and playing instruments. A man is balancing on his head while flipping a dish in each hand while another is playing a harp while wearing a blindfold.

A lone figure sits in a small cubicle right after the entrance. He seems unaffected by the sound as he looks at you entering.

"May I help you?" he asks, his voice barely audible above the noise.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 09:58 AM
I shed a single tear as I have come home. Now I know how E.T. felt when he flew away home (E.T. being Earl Thomasson, a doppelganger that was trapped on an alternative material plane but found a scroll of fly and used it to fly to a gate that brought him back).

I try not to show my emotions since I have to establish how cool I am by not caring about how good other people are. I walk to the figure in the cubicle, "You certainly may, and I hope I can do the same for you. I am Zerter Molitor and I would like to enrichen this place with my humble presence, assuming it is big enough to contain my ego." The last of which I say laughing out loud.

Bluff (trying to look like I don't care): [roll0]
Diplomacy (trying to get the guy to like me despite being an arrogant soab): [roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 10:27 AM
The man watches your lips with great interest and you feel a bit uneasy as he stares.

After you are done laughing he nods.

"A pleasure! I am Matthew, the greeter!" he replies also on a very low voice.

"I believe they have space for everyone if they have got some talent! You will need to head to the second floor to see Lady Elisabeth who is responsible for new entrants!" he continues and then stares at your lips again as you are about to respond.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 10:53 AM
"Pleasure to meet you Matthew! Thanks for the information." I make my lips decrease and increase in size slightly using my hat of disguise as he watches them.

"I'll go see Lady Elisabeth so she can take care of me."

I'll go the 2nd floor and look for her. Anakin is still with me if possible btw.

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 01:39 PM
He frowns and seems uncertain after the changes you make on your lips.

"Sorry what? I didnt get it exactly, can you please repeat it?"

Anakin is still with you.

Zerter
2012-02-06, 02:24 PM
Without actually saying something but with making the proper movements with my lips, tongue and mouth in general I say the following: "Ah, nothing, I had a question, but I think it's answered." (the question being why he is staring at my lips). I resume the action posted above and would also like to know what Anakin said when I asked him if he wanted to be an apprentice.

Monodominant
2012-02-06, 04:48 PM
Anakin tells you that it depends on what you mean by apprentice. He has heard that wizards apprentice cant kiss girls so thats a no. If you are asking him about music and arts specifically he grumbles a bit that he will lose all his street cred if he has to dance and prance around like a fairy but if he has to do it to get to stick around with you he will do it.

The man shrugs at your comment and turns to the booklet he was reading before.

You navigate the crowds and find yourself on the second floor. You notice that here the sound from below is completely block out. Many doors left and right are the main characteristic of this floor and each has a nametag. You quickly find the name

"Elisabeth Ballerstero" halfway down the hall.

If you knock a coarse female voice replies

"Enter!"

Zerter
2012-02-06, 05:02 PM
"I want to teach you skills like acrobatics, proper balance as well as lightning speed, strength and precisions in your fingers. They'll serve you'll on the street and off the street. Also girls love the fingers. You'll understand when you grow up."

I'll enter the room and introduce myself in a jovial manner before bothering to observe it, throwing up my hands in welcoming manner and saying, "Greetings! My name is Zerter Molitor and I would like to join this guide!"

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 05:01 AM
"That sounds more doable. Just as long as I dont have to wear tights..." replies Anakin with a smirk.

As you enter the room a heavy aroma of flowers and aromatic incense hits you. You make your elaborate and flamboyant entrance yet you do not manage to impress the woman that is sitting accross the table half-hidden behind a stack of paperwork.

She is thin with dark red hair and a very pale complexion and is holding a quill in one hand a glass of thick red wine in the other. Her lips share the color of her hair and her eyes are sharp of a cold grey color. She looks at you without a hint of suprise and smiles.

"I take it you mean guild, not guide mister Molitor." she replies with a crystal clear voice.

"Please be sitted then!" she tells you and waves her hand towards an uncomfortable looking chair placed accross her infront of the desk. You do notice that her own sitting place is a very luxurious and expensive looking armchair with a tall back.

Zerter
2012-02-07, 09:41 AM
I sit down. "Yes, normally I don't make mistakes when trying to come across as a self-absorbed artist, it actually comes quite naturally to me. The flowery scent is very nice by the way! Where I made a mistake already in my performance your act as a person that would work here is flawless so far. I do believe I have also mastered the art of appearing to not be impressed by artists as my cool demeanor showed when I walked in this building. Adding the chairs to it really takes it to another level, you are definitely in charge, I have to take notes here."

"I would also like to introduce you to the young boy here, his name is Anakin. I would like to teach him some of what I know, hopefully as a member of this guid... uhm, guild. Skills that include acrobatics, sleight of hand tricks such as juggling, disguise to appear to be someone else, giant strength. I imagine you'll be asking me to demonstrate them at some point though, so maybe I should not brag so much." (the last of which I say laughing out loud)

Diplomacy: [roll0] I will keep being annoying in the actual role-playing and softening it up with a diplomacy check until it blows up in my face : D

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 09:49 AM
She raises an eyebrow at your monologue but that is the only reaction you get along with a look of interest as she looks down to Anakin.

"Yes we do get many flared up artists around here. One needs to handle the primadonnas and the shy ones. It is good when an artist can easily pigeonhole himself and makes my work easier." she replies sipping from her wine.

"But you dont have to worry about any demonstrations. Your words are copper to me and your gold is words. I am not going to be testing you or your young friend there. I am here to ensure you check out though and that the guild can trust you. I am also here to make sure you can pay to join and plan to pay the guild rates so that if you cant you dont waste the time of the masters" she continues in the same monotone annoying voice that you are sure she is using on purpose to kill your buzz.

"Now unless you have any questions I can present you with what the guild needs and expects from you?"

PS> Just keep in mind that though that might be ok there are people that wont care.

So my point is you can tell someone "you are an idiot" and a high diplomacy result may mean that you say it in a funny or charming or even to you non-offensive way. But there are those that will see past that and focus on the fact you just called them an idiot.

Zerter
2012-02-07, 10:09 AM
As a response I lift up my coin purse and jiggle it a little bit so the coins make a noise.

"Time is platinum to me, let's get to it."

Good that you say it, but I figured as much already. I'm basically just trying to provoke interesting reactions IC as well as OOC, I do feel it's important I inform of you a little bit about my intentions in general so we don't misunderstand each other.

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 11:03 AM
No worries :D

And as I have said to other players in the past if something is not working for you (either style, type of 'missions' etc) tell me up front rather than keep it in worrying I will lash out otherwise the experience will end up being bad for both of us.

Its especially annoying when someone drops the game instead of asking for a GM change or style change cause it means all the work the GMs put go to waste.

"Splendid. I love a man that knows how to jiggle his purse" she says with a hint of emotion in her voice.

"So mr Molitor. The administrative fee for joining the guild is 100 gold. That is mainly to ensure our masters dont get time wasters that think they can sing or dance every day. Once you complete your background in these document and pay the 100 gold you will be reviewed by Masters of your identified craft. When that is done you will come back to me and we will draw up the papers making you an apprentice, journeyman or master of your chosen art and depending on their reccomendations. That costs 200 gold and is for life unless if you are thrown out." she pauses and looks at you seriously.

"From then on you owe 10% of either teaching fees or performance fees to us and another 5% to the city. To stop you from joking about it those that fail to pay those fees and are discovered end up without fingers or whatever makes their art possible including permanent silence spells..." and this is the only time since you started talking that she grins.

Zerter
2012-02-07, 11:17 AM
"Well, I am tempted to try and find out if a silence spell is the thing that can shut me up." (which I say with a smile)

"I am not accustomed to failure, here is 300 gp (subtracted from my sheet). I would tip you if I thought it would impress you. But I get the sense you're the type of person that more appreciates people that make money rather than spend it."

"Let me see the documents please. Anakin, come over here. Part of any career path is knowing how handle paperwork. Do you know how to read and write? I'll teach you otherwise."

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 12:49 PM
She takes the pouch and checks its contents.

"Your time is platinum, it would have been if those coins were too..." she grumbles after finishing the count.

"In any case good of you to pay up front. If you fail though dont expect a refund. Guild policy. And we dont accept tips so its good you didnt make a fool out of yourself!" she continues.

She gives you the papers that are simpler than the citizenship ones basically asking for name, address and what kind of performer/artist are you and who your mentor was if you had any. They also ask to rate your own level.

Anakin approaches carefully eyeing the woman with suspision.

"I can read... writting is tad tougher... all them squiggly lines are hurting my hands..."

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 12:54 PM
She takes the pouch and checks its contents.

"Your time is platinum, it would have been if those coins were too..." she grumbles after finishing the count.

"In any case good of you to pay up front. If you fail though dont expect a refund. Guild policy. And we dont accept tips so its good you didnt make a fool out of yourself!" she continues.

She gives you the papers that are simpler than the citizenship ones basically asking for name, address and what kind of performer/artist are you and who your mentor was if you had any. They also ask to rate your own level.

Anakin approaches carefully eyeing the woman with suspision.

"I can read... writting is tad tougher... all them squiggly lines are hurting my hands..."

Zerter
2012-02-07, 01:08 PM
"I'm afraid platinum would have clashed with the grey in your eyes, I am a bit of a perfectionist you see."

Name: Zerter Molitor
Adress: Mages Quarter, Adress Name
Type of artist:

Physical-related performance depending on strength and finesse such as tumbling, juggling, sleight of hand tricks, balancing acts, escaping confiments and acts of great strength (bending iron bars and such).

Social-related performance depending on the ability to shock, surprise or please the audience through appearance and oratory. Can convingly express a wide range of emtions and appearances such as intimidating, friendly and know some basic magic including the ability to seemingly change form.

Would rate myself a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10, without having idea what 1 or 10 represents.

Had various private instructors throughout my spoiled life including Theo Maassen, Kees de Vries, Bert Hoekstra and Desiree Longbottom.

Currently have a boy willing to be apprentice as well as a Raven familiar that can assist throughout any performance.

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 04:28 PM
She glances through the application after you are done and nods.

"Looks fine. I would like to point out that unless you are a clown or some kind of comedian, comedy does not sit well with the masters. They can take a joke... sometimes but its not what they want to see in a serious applicant. We are here to entertain the public of Aldhaven, not ourselves mr. Molitor.... but what do I know right? I am just an annoying administrator." she says and finisher her wine. There are a few traces of the thick liquid in the glass still congealing slowly.

"So. Return tomorrow and I will tell you when your hearing is." she says as she opesn a folder with the tag 'applicants' that contains half a dozen other applications and places yours.

Zerter
2012-02-07, 04:40 PM
"I don't know who refers to you as just an annoying administrator, I think you do a wonderful job, you seem quite up to the task." I say looking serious.

"With that, I say goodbye!"

I'll go home. I'll make sure to try and remember the smell of the flowers.

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 04:46 PM
She smiles as you depart.

As is written it is done. You arrive home safely and you remember the smell of the flowers.

You also gain 350xp for the previous scenes.

Zerter
2012-02-07, 04:59 PM
I greet my live-in housekeeper and kiss Bertha on the cheek. "How have you been? I would like you to meet Anakin, he is my apprentice. I've got a job! Sort of. Almost. Either I have a job or I paid the last 300 gp my mother send me for nothing and we have to live on the streets. Anyway, Anakin is here to make your life better as well. Come her boy, shake Bertha's hand. You'll be listening to what she tells you and helping her out. Bertha has a lot of wisdom, also she scares me. You can move into the other servant room, if I get anymore staff you might have to share with someone though. Anyway, lets eat some light dinner and go to bed. We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

Monodominant
2012-02-07, 06:37 PM
"As you master Zerter" Bertha replies and pats the boy on the head and smiles at you.

She has cooked roast chicken along with potato spuds and the meal is good. You leave the table as satisfied as always and see Anakin heading for the assigned room.

In the morning you wake up to find Anakin already sitting in the kitchen and Bertha preparing breakfast.

"Slept well sir?" asks the boy.

Zerter
2012-02-08, 04:56 AM
Before I go to sleep I say a prayer towards Pelor and Olidammara. Though I have a sneaking suspicion that much like a certain administrator the church prefers gold to words.

"I certainly did Anakin, thanks for asking. How are you adjusting to your new life?"

"Lets go see Lady Elisabeth straight after breakfast."

I buy a chain somewhere along the way. 30 gp subtracted from sheet.

Monodominant
2012-02-08, 07:28 AM
The boy nods happily.

"Its good to sleep on a bed. Inside an actual house. With a roof mind you... and no bugs!" he says as he devours the eggs he has in front of him and snatches a couple of sausages.

"With the appettite of that one you had better get some money flowing master Zerter!" pips Bertha before you leave.

You arrive at the guild without trouble and face a similar scene to that of yesterday. You knock at the door of the administrator and a different voice responds. When you enter you see a half-orc woman sitting behind the desk. Despite her orcish heritage she is strangely alluring.

"May I help you?" she asks happily!

Zerter
2012-02-08, 07:33 AM
Does she share traits with Elisabeth Ballerstero, behavorial or otherwise? Sense motive!

"Yes, I was here yesterday, Zerter Molitor. This is my potential apprentice, Anakin. I applied to join the guild and was told to come back the next day to know when I was to make an appearance before the masters."

Monodominant
2012-02-08, 08:16 AM
She seems completely different from Elisabeth, both from tone of voice but also mannerisms and attitude. At least so far as this conversation has just started.

"Ah yes. Elisabeth told me you may come by before her shift. Well I have great news mister Molitor! Greay news indeed. It seems Elisabeth liked you for she presented your folder yesterday evening and it seems the masters liked your generosity and enthusiam for you have a meeting today at 6 in the afternoon! Master Vulpus, Master Komnenos and Mistress Niranja will be present for your demonstration!" she says jovially.

"Oh and I forgot my manners! I am Ola Pitra, Elisabeths assistant! It will be a pleasure having you on board with the guild! Such dark times require entertainment to brighten them up!!!!" she says and giggles.

Zerter
2012-02-08, 10:12 AM
"Ah. It is likewise very nice to meet you Ola Pitra, may I say that I imagine you brighten up dark times just by being in the room. I am looking forward to presenting myself to the masters and the mistress, I assume the demonstration will take place in this building?"

Monodominant
2012-02-08, 12:17 PM
"Thank you for your kind words!" she says and winks at you.

"So, yes the assumption is correct! It will be in the small auditorium downstairs just past the cantina, you cant miss it!"

Zerter
2012-02-08, 01:00 PM
"Thanks for the information. Say, will you be there? Also, is there any chance I can see a demonstration before it's my turn?"

Monodominant
2012-02-08, 04:33 PM
"I will be there yes to have you sign after if you are approved. They will decide right there and then... and Elisabeth may also attend but I am not sure if she will have time. As for your other question... unfortunately no. Those sessions are closed, we are taking this seriously Mr Molitor and I hope you are too!" she says with a grin.

Zerter
2012-02-08, 04:45 PM
"Wanting to my homework seems like I take it serious." I say with a smile

"I expect we'll be signing some papers today. I'll be on my way and leave you to your things, see you soon!"

I'll go and grab something to eat with Anakin. Mentally preparing for the test. I'll be there 10 minutes ahead of time, don't know if anything happens but I basically intend to just do that till the test.

Monodominant
2012-02-08, 04:56 PM
She smiles as you depart and head for someplace to eat.

Anakin shrugs.

"Not sure which one I like more... they both have something interesting and something weird at the same time... how about you mr Third Man?" he asks as you as he devours the lunch you buy him.

-=-

Nothing else happens until the time you have your meeting. When you return the guild has fewer people and is overall more quiet than in the morning hours. You find the small lecture room and see one more person waiting, a tiny halfling boy with a harp in his hands. He pays no attention to you as its reading a paper full of scribled music notes.

A couple of minutes before the time to enter the door opens and woman steps out, tears in her eyes and runs out. She if followed by the half-orc that beckons to you.

"Everything ready?"

Zerter
2012-02-08, 04:59 PM
I wish the Halfling good luck in Halfling.

I look the Half-Orc in the eyes seriously saying "I was born ready, lets get this thing started."

The thought just came to me that I could have made a bunch of gather information checks to get more information about what to expect and how to prepare. I'm getting this feeling you get in real life when you suddenly think you're not prepared for an exam : D

Monodominant
2012-02-09, 07:11 AM
DahduhDUNNNNNN!

You enter the room trying to keep cool as the feeling everyone gets before exams, even those that they have studied for, haunts you.

Inside you see an empty stage set in front of an amphitheater that can hold up to 100 people. At the front row you see four people. You recognise only Elisabeth the administrator from yesterday.

The other three are a peculiar lot.

The first is a middle aged human with grey hair on the temples and very very fine clothes. He is pretty slim, almost to a strange extent, and has dark blue eyes.

The second is by far the strangest. He is dressed in a jesters outfit yet the 'jingle bells' at this hats corners have diamond studs and the outfit is made from silk and colored brightly. he heads two rings at each finger and his face is painted white.

The third and last is a young looking elfin woman. She has her hair tied in a bunch and wearing simple, tight fitting clothes. She doesnt actually turn to look as you enter but keeps her focus at the stage.

The stage itself has a large number of props including chairs, tables, marbles, juggling balls, plates, poles and bottles and many other items used in many entertainers shows including actual sharp knives etc.

The half-orc rushes you to the front of the stage and she inclines her head towards the three masters.

"The next applicant is Mr Zerter Molitor of the Molitor line. He considers himself of great skill and talent and wishes to be allowed to join the ranks of the Guild. He also has an apprentice ready to take on should you find him satisfactory and of high enough capability to teach others." she says, bows and gets off giving you the stage.

You notice she sits down in the second row behind Elisabeth and leans forward to whisper something to her. The pale faced redhead doesnt betray any emotion or give a response.

"Very well Mr Molitor. Show us your most well practiced routine and then impress us with something innovative." the grey haired man calls out.

"And dont waste our time please... I am expected at the palace in less than two hours time and I am lead to believe that there is also another..." says the jester testily.

Zerter
2012-02-09, 08:00 AM
I'll start real fast based on iniative, that should set the mood. My raven assists me giving me a +2 on any skill I have 5 ranks in. I'll also make knowledge (local) and knowledge (nobility and royalty) checks to see if I know anything about any of these persons that can give me an edge.

I'll start by juggling some of the knives while changing my appearance to match that of the jester sitting across from me, at some point throwing them each up in the air real high, making a salto inbetween and catching them again. If anything fails I'll simply retry and continue. After demonstrating those skills I'll change into the elfin woman and look for something made of iron and break it in an act of strength.

After that I'll take a bow and when I get back up I'll change into Lady Elisabeth and say "I can take my audience through a range of emotions BY BEING REAL SCARY" Making a salto again and while doing so I'll change into Ola Pitra, when landing on my feet I'll say "Or by being real nice!" Trying to mimic their mannerisms both times.

As their attention is on me the Raven swoops in front of them close by and says, "Or by surprising people!" as their attention is momentarily taken by the raven (hopefully) I'll change into the middle aged human. I'll talk to everyone in their native or racial language if I can deduce it, saying, "I can connect with any audience on basis of a shared language". While doing that I arrange the tables to have a pole inbetween (I'll make sure it's at least 2 inches), I tumble on the one table, try to move twice my speed across the poles and tumble after reaching the other table to bow in front of them again and when showing my face having it changed to my original one.

Iniative: [roll0]
Knowledge (local): [roll1]
Knowledge (nobility & royalty): [roll2]
Juggling knives before tumbling: [roll3]
Tumble after throwing up knives: [roll4]
Catching the knives: [roll5]
Act of strength (need 26 to break a iron bar I believe, I'll continue trying until I succeed: [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10], [roll11], [roll12], [roll13], [roll14], [roll15], [roll16], [roll17], [roll18], [roll19], [roll20], [roll21], [roll22], [roll23], [roll24], [roll25], [roll26], [roll27], [roll28], [roll29], [roll30]
Being scary using intimidate: [roll31]
Being nice using diplomacy: [roll32]
Sense motive to deduce native or racial tongues: You make it!
Tumble to get on table: [roll]1d20+14/roll]
Balance checks to get across table (retry if failed): [roll33], [roll34]
Tumble to get off table: [roll35]
Various disguise checks: You make them! +28 modifier.

Monodominant
2012-02-09, 11:04 AM
During your performance your "crowd" passes through various different states. From amused to annoyed and back to obvious joy.

With the exception of the elfin. She doesnt betray any emotion all the while you perform.

When you are done there is a modest clapping and an excited jiggling as the jester bangs his head with approval. You even get a smile from Elisabeth and a positive nod from Ola.

"Well done Mr Molitor." replies the grey haired man. "That was quite an impressive show and everyone here will find it easy to reach a common decision I believe..." he says and smiles widely.

The elfin looks forward and speaks with a tired yet loud voice.

"You failed 19 times before you managed to break the iron bar. You also almost impaled yourself with the knives. That is the detail that seperates a master from a journeyman. Other than that a good show..."

Lastly the jester grins widely.

"I especially liked the part where you spoke all scary like and looked like Elisabeth. I think you really knocked that one out of the park as they say up in the castle!"

"Enough of your sillyness" replies the grey haired man and then looks at the documents before him.

"Well mister Molitor. I guess we are all agreed then. We are pleased to accept you in the Guild. The rank of journeyman will be awarded to you and you may indeed take the child as your apprentice. You can arrange the details with our administrators..."

Will give you info about them for your knowledge checks from home. I posted this so you can move ahead if you wish without delaying you.

Also 450XP for this challenge.

Zerter
2012-02-09, 11:28 AM
I bow to all of them, "Thank you. Thanks for the critism, I will work hard to become flawless." (good to know I was just two good rolls away from being a master!)

"I will take no more of your time and be on my way to the administrators office."

On the way out I wink to the Halfling.

Hurrah! I was a bit worried about failing some of the checks, like making 40 attempts to break the bar and fail every time, hurting myself with a knife or falling from a pole. I was also unsure how they would take the mimicing, Elizabeth in particular.

Monodominant
2012-02-09, 07:16 PM
Hehe well you got all rolls pretty high so...

During the performance you recall the following:

Master Vulpus, they grey haired man. You dont really know much about him for he is not that well known. He is one of the guildmasters of the Guild but rarely takes part in the politics and prefers to pursue his art. His particular talent is ventriloquism, also known as the demon in the stomach, and not only can he do it but he can also mimick voices with it.

Master Komnenos, the jester. Known through the nobility as one of the courts fools. Though this may for some mean a position of low importance it means he attends court though he is not a noble something very rare in Aldhaven. Thus provides him with early information and tidbits of knowledge he does use to his advantage often enough. It is also said that the princess, daughter to the king, has a soft spot for him.

Mistress Niranja, the elf-like one. Not an actual elf but an eladrin Niranjas presence is a mystery. She has been a guild member for over 100 years and a master (or rather mistress) for 90 of those and is the most senior living member of the Guild. She cares little for politics or for taking up apprentices... she merely... is.Her talent is with singing and dancing though rumor has it she hasnt been seen dancing for more than 50 years.

Those present nod and wish you good luck. The half-orc follows you outside and whispers.

"Congratulations!!! We have the halfling outside to review and then Elisabeth will be right up to finish any paperwork! Good job once again!" she says and beckongs the halfling to join her in the room.

Zerter
2012-02-10, 04:21 AM
"Thanks Ola. See you around." I say with a smile

I go upstairs and take Anakin with me, reviewing the performance and introducing him to my Raven, Dolf.

"That went allright I think!"

It's probably not that hard to figure out what fictional characters Anakin and Bertha are named after, but five internet GP if you can tell me whom the raven is named for : D

Monodominant
2012-02-10, 05:57 AM
I know Dolf (is Justice!) and Anakin but dont actually know Bertha...

Anakin nods.

"It was pretty darn nice I'll grant you that... bit over the top but I guess you're not bad" he says and laughs.

You arrive at the administration office and wait outside. Fifteen minutes later Elisabeth arrives followed by the halfling.

"Wait here." she tells him and motions you to join her inside.

Zerter
2012-02-10, 06:11 AM
I nod to the Halfling and join Elizabeth on the inside, "I saw you crack a smile in there. But don't worry about it, your secret is safe with me."

Monodominant
2012-02-10, 06:56 AM
"As is yours. Not sure if you are a shifter or something else but the ability you showed seemed to come natural and not through magic for the most part. Its obviously a secret cause you didnt mention it and even worse as I am talking right now you are trying to focus your thoughts in something different." she pauses.

"And yes I can read your throughts. Surface ones at least..." she smiles at this.

"But you are off course right. Your performance was admirable. You could actually have been classified a master but noone gets that on their first day as a guild member without some serious clout and though in your future I do see serious clout its not something you have yet..."

Zerter
2012-02-10, 07:26 AM
Don't forget I have a special ability when it comes to mind reading in case I make my save.

"It's not a secret, though it is not something I like to tell either. I am mostly Human, but I was concieved by someone that had chapechanger's blood. There was a big scandal about it when I was born, that's why I was send to live in Aldhaven instead of being raised to lead my house. I hope you can understand why I would be sensitive about the issue."

"I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I intend to become a master and am confident I will. I don't underestimate the difficulty, in fact, if it was not such a hard thing to do I would not be motivated to try and achieve it. I would in fact appreciate any advice on how to learn the ropes when it comes to being a member of a guild so to speak."

"I have only recently come to terms with that Aldhaven will be my permanent home which is why I did not seek out this guild years ago already. But now I intend to live here permanently, become a citizen and give my familiy's name status in this city somehow. Don't let my aura of joviality decieve you, there's determination beneath the surface."

Monodominant
2012-02-10, 07:46 AM
Well if I had asked you 'roll a will save' when you first met her it would be kinda obvious though no? I rolled that one for you... generally AvB DMs will roll for you things that would, if asked of you, make you suspicious :D

She listens to you once again without betraying emotions. When you are done she nods.

"I did say your secret is safe with me. I am the eyes and ears of this guild Mr Molitor but my position is also not the most secure... as such a good administrator knows when to pry, when to listen and when to speak. If there was a Guild of Administrators I would probably be the head guild mistress but alas I am not..." she says firmly.

"In any case. I wish you best of luck with all those plans of yours. Just be careful... Aldhaven has eaten many an aspiring young man and spit them out after keeping all the juicy bits. As for tips... those dont come free. If you find my price you get to try and get them... and please do not suggest a dinner and wine... I eat and drink at fancier places than you can afford..."

You didnt tell me where Bertha is from after all? Or if I got Dolf correct!

Zerter
2012-02-10, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I get that. I just reminded you in case I made one and you forgot. I'm looking forward to using that particular ability.

Bertha is from two and a half men, she is a housekeeper and one of the main characters. I don't think you got dolf correct I'm afraid, I don't see a relationship between him and "Justice". A hint: he's a Raven.

"It's not the content of a purse that counts, but what you do with it. Regardless, you passing up an opportunity to help me at no cost to you is as much your loss as it is mine my sweet Lady. I intend to see the price of my favors only go up."

"Thanks for your good wishes though!"

Monodominant
2012-02-10, 09:31 AM
Ah I dont watch 2 and 1/2 men hence didnt get the reference :D

I still insist Dolf is the raven from Dolf is justice. :D

The woman shrugs.

"Nothing is for free in this city I am afraid... and you are not going to lose anything by figuring out what I need... but its up to you." she replies.

"But I dont want to keep you. You need to sign this form that you are now part of the guild and shall agree to follow the guild rules and regulations, you shall not undercut the standard guild prices and will not take more than 2 apprentices at one time. Lastly you agree that you owe loyalty to the Guild and the Guild Masters...be aware that this agreement IS magically enforced..." she says and hands you a paper with the seal of he Aldhaven University of Magic as well as the royal coat of arms of the city.

Zerter
2012-02-10, 10:06 AM
Oh, you might be right actually. Dolf Is Justice is the title of a episode in which Dolf features. I assume we're both talking about this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_J._Kwak#Dolf

"Can I get a copy of the guilds rules and regulations somewhere?"

I sign the piece of paper.

"Thanks for having me! Give my best to that lovely assistent of yours."

Monodominant
2012-02-10, 10:49 AM
Exactly! He IS JUSTICE!

"Not only you can but you must. Its in the bylaws to avoid anyone saying they didnt know about them..." she says and hands you a think document with two dozen pages.

"We arent the Guard off course so I guess not every eventuallity is covered in there..." she says and takes the signed paper of your hands.

"Splendid. I shall relay your appreciation to Ola." she replies

Zerter
2012-02-10, 12:21 PM
That makes sense I guess : D.

"Thanks again. Anakin, thank the nice lady as well. We'll be on our way then."

I go stand in front of the main entrance and read the by-laws, discussing them with Anakin and Dolf (tell me what is in them!).

I'm actually waiting for the Halfling to come out so I can start a conversation, but I want to be appear to be just casually chatting.

Monodominant
2012-02-10, 05:14 PM
Bylaws tomorrow in longer post...

The raven and the boy listen to you and give feedback when asked but dont seem that into the details of your new accomplishment.

About 15 minutes later the halfling exits carrying a similar booklet and a please smile on his face.

Zerter
2012-02-11, 03:16 AM
"Guys, this is our accomplishment. You're as much a part of this guild as I am and knowing the by-laws might be boring, but it is important."

I walk towards the Halfling in a jovial manner with my arms wide open before I shake his hand and adress him in Halfling. "Hey! Imagine seeing you here. Pleasure to meet you, my name is Zerter Molitor and I would to be one of the first to congratulate you on passing the exam. These here are the familiar Dolf and the apprentice Anakin [which I say in common]. Did you knock it out of it the park?" (the last of which is an expression based on a Orc game called hit-the-rock-real-hard-with-the-wood)

Diplomacy (making a first good impression) assisted by the raven: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-11, 05:59 AM
The halfling seems suprised you speak its native tongue and he takes your hand and shakes it.

"Hey, hey!" he exclaims.

"I am Welby, the Cloak, Bolger! Pleasure to make your acquaintance!!!" he continues and nods also to Anakin and the bird.

"I did alright I guess. I was informed I am now a Journeyman but I cant have my own apprentice until I perfect at least one aspect of entertainment!" he explains.

"But I guess I knew that would be the case already, havent been doing this long, only half a dozen years or so and it takes hard work to make it!"

Zerter
2012-02-11, 06:12 AM
Playing D&D the rest of the day. At the location now, just made a reply logged in on the wrong account : D

"A pleasure to meet you Welby, the Cloak, Bolger! They also call me Mr. Thirdwayman."

"I know what you mean. Joining the guild takes dedication and effort, it is not something you do a whim on the same day you discover you need a license to perform for money, that would be ridicilous!" (to be clear, this is not said sarcastically, it is a joke, but only for my character to get)

I would be interested in hearing you reflect on your experiences as a new member. Talking with someone that is going through the same thing I'm going through might help me be a better member. Would you care to join me for dinner at my place a week from now?

Monodominant
2012-02-11, 09:01 AM
The hafling indeed doesnt seem to get the joke so he grins and nods.

"Sounds good! I shall bring a brew my aunt makes!"

Zerter
2012-02-11, 02:33 PM
Short session today X_X

"That sounds great, I hope to see you there!" (I give him the adress)

I'm gonna look for a affordable florist and will try to identify some of the smells in Lady Elisabeth's room to buy and send her flowers that match.

Gather information (best place to buy flowers), assisted by Raven: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-11, 05:27 PM
He finds a florist nearby actually since he is in the district. The store is not that large but it boasts that they have been florists for more than 80 years which seems a good indication.

He asks the advice of the florist and he presents you with the dilemma.

"The primary smell you describe is a purple lotus. A very rare flower with a very particular smell and not cheap. The second type of aroma is probably a sweet alyssum and thats not the most common either but its not that rare or expensive..."

Zerter
2012-02-11, 05:44 PM
"Do you have both in stock? I'd like both delivered to an adress, though I am worried I'm gonna be mildly shocked when you inform me what exactly 'not cheap' means. Either way, I set a goal to send these particular flowers so I'm not gonna give up regardless of the price."

Monodominant
2012-02-11, 05:54 PM
"A nice and rich bouquet of sweet alyssum is 8 gold. A single purple lotus is 15 and I have 3 only..." he replies.

"I can make the whole arrangement with the 3 lotus'es and the sweet alyssim for 50 and include the delivery in that!"

Zerter
2012-02-11, 06:07 PM
I realise that this is in fact a shockingly high amount, but I was more thinking in the 500+ range ^^

"That is a lot. But I'll take it. My apprentice can handle delivery if that takes something off the price."

"I'm afraid I'm a bit low on cash right now however, I could only do 28 gp and I do need these flowers send as soon as possible. You're a florist though and I assume you know your way around rare plants. See this bow here? It's masterwork quality and made from darkwood, very expensive material and worth several times those flowers. Would you mind terribly accepting it as a pawn and await my return in 1 or 2 days with the money?"

If he does not accept the pawn I'll go sell the chain somewhere (which I bought this day actually), hassling to get as much of the 30 gp I bought it for as possible and then come back here to hassle over the price.

If I end up sending the flowers (either way) I'll write a card saying:

Thanks again for having me! Until we meet again.

Kind regards,

Zerter Molitor

PS: Please don't take my fingers.

Monodominant
2012-02-12, 08:27 AM
"Well you seem as a stand up fellow and this bow does seem mighty fine. So yea we can do it that way. Keep the gold for now as 28 wont cut it and I will keep the bow. You have 3 days otherwise I will take it straight to Ezekiels and have it sold!" he explains and then goes on to bore you with how he will design the bouquet to match the plant colors and so on and so forth.

Hehe well 500 would be a magical flower that doesnt wither ever... a player did actually investigate such a thing once... even better she got "masterwork tools" out of flowers improving her diplomacy/bluff etc...

But yea 50 is incredibly expensive when the average peasant makes 5 ... a year.

Zerter
2012-02-12, 02:19 PM
"Well, time to make some money! But first lets make sure we are covered both legally and spiritually. Time to find a temple of Olidammara to make a donation and send the masked one a prayer!"

Gather information (temple of Olidammara) assisted by Raven: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-12, 03:40 PM
On the other side of the city from where you are from there is the Temple District. There are many temples there for all the big recognised religions worshipped in Aldhaven and also shrines to those that arent as big.

He also know that religious belief in Aldhaven is open and unrestricted regardless of basic doctrine. As such even Gods that can be considered... evil... are allowed to have their temples just as long as they dont actively break the law.

You learn that indeed Olidammara has a nice temple there.

AvB policy is that the person who first visits a previously non-described temple gets to describe how the temple is! So its all yours.

(So far we have Kelemvor, Bahamut, Solaron, Tiamat, Pelor, Kord and Boccob and a shrine to Tymora)

Zerter
2012-02-12, 04:35 PM
YEAH! IT'S MINE! MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take this responsibility very serious.

Olidammara is the god of Music, Revels, Wine, Rogues, Humor, and Tricks.

His holy symbol is a grinning mask. Other symbols of his faith include the kantele and the number nine.

Olidammara's religion lacks a single holy book, but instead maintains hundreds of mutually contradictory collections of parables and songs. Any attempt to codify or reconcile these texts is anathema to Olidammara's creed, which teaches that chaos should be embraced and material things have little importance or intrinsic value.

Olidammara's clerics often have a second occupation, such as vintners and entertainers in urban areas, or as minstrels, messengers, and jacks-of-all-trades in rural areas. They wear comfortable clothes, preferring browns, greens, and blacks. Some wear an actual mask as their holy symbol, while others merely wear a signet or amulet inscribed with a drawing of a mask.

Many of Olidammara's temples are converted inns or taverns, while some are theaters or actual thieves' guilds. Services typically involve songs, feasts, and a much drinking.

The temple to Olidammara looks like an unimpressive regular stone building on the outside. At the front there's a single major entrance that closes by wooden doors, on the door there is a grinning mask carved that has been painted in several bright colors. Somebody observing the building might notice there's a backdoor to the temple: a stone door that is camouflaged on account of being made from the same kind of stone as the rest of the building. Either entrance will lead into the temple, but the backdoor gets you to the place where the "worshippers" are actively engaging in "honoring" Olidammara faster faster. Rumor has it there are more secret entrances to be found into the temple.

The front door is usually closed, upon approaching it the mouth of the grinning mask opens. Any donation to Olidammara, be it a song, wine (which has to be poured in the mouth), a joke or a copper piece will open it assuming it is given in a good-hearted way.

The backdoor is hard to find and seems to move around sometimes, but it's usually open, though for some reason some find it locked. It is said that Olidammara blesses those who bypass the lock.

Those using the front entrance have to go through a long hall to get to the main area of the temple. The hall is decorated with illustrations of stories and parabels, they're not always the same stories, changing during a visit sometimes. A popular one is an illustration of the deathbed confession of Andromalius, the herald of Olidammara, who forsake thievery to rob Olidammara of his own soul. Olidammara, first upset, later appreciated the irony of what was the legendary rogue's greatest theft. Not wanting any other god to have such a clever soul and not wanting to ruin the joke, he instead cast Andromalius out of known existence so no one could have him.

The backdoor opens in the main area, which is best described as a neverending party. Most of the "Clerics" of Olidammara are bard and rogues spending their days drinking, partying and making various forms of art in the name of Olidammara. Wine and pleasure flows freely at this party, but there's an understanding that if you take to much without giving back there's a risk that others might decide to repay you in kind by robbing you. In fact many of the worshippers pass their time stealing from each other and congrulating those that rob them in a clever or succesfull way. The actual contents of the main area (aside from people and wine) are never the same, changing based on the whims of the people attending the party with people taking stuff away they consider boring or unhip and bringing stuff back they feel will enhance the party as well as people spending time on various arts such as wall paintings and sculpturing, arts that unlike for example the music making going on leaves a lasting impact on the area.

The Clerics are fine with and encourage the chaos that shapes the main area. They do make sure however that no one does something that will really disrupt the events, for in the words of Olidammara himself: "The party must go on."

One of the few areas that is generally unchanging is a room that is carved out right above the main area, it is roughly six feet above the floor and there are no visible stairs leading to it. There is no wall seperating it from the main area and in it is a single kantele. There is always a masked man playing it at a high level, sometimes singing a story that is related to Olidammara or his teachings. Anyone disturbing the player incurs the wrath of the clerics present.

There are several rooms on the ground level, several rooms on a second floor as well as a basement. Aside from the open room with the kantele (which technically is on the second floor)

The rooms on the second floor are reserved for the business of the clerics of Olidammara [not all of which have actual levels of Cleric to be clear]. The Clerics can be contacted for spiritual guidance or advice, but not all of them take their duties equally serious.

The rooms in the basement are said to be used for tests of skill involving the portfolio of Olidammara. This could be as simple as a drinking contest and as elaborate as a trap-filled maze in which a single gold piece is said to be hidden somewhere. There's also a single simple stone room that seems to have nothing special in it except the number 9 written on the wall somewhere. At times people have tried to make something out of this room, but for one reason or the other all that have tried to do so have failed.

The other rooms on the ground floor are used for various more peaceful reasons. They are considered a place where thieves and such can meet on neutral ground, or where artists can come together to work on a song honoring Olidammara. Those attending the neverending party also use them to sleep, though doing so could invite any number of pranks. Those that want to find a place for some alone time also find the rooms useful, some rooms are in fact said to have gathering of strangers at specific times for orgies with everyone coming wearing masks.

In general a lot of the inhabitants of the temple, including the Clerics, are at the very least tuned into the underworld, if not activally involved. Because the temple is not allowed to be engaged into illegal activities this is officially not condoned, but in practice very little is done about it as long as the clerics make sure to keep their activities seperate from the church as far a court would be concerned.

The temple also obviously has good relationships with the artists of Aldhaven, and even though Olidammara might not be the most worshipped deity in the city, it is said a majority of its inhabitants are more than willing to raise a glass in the name of the laughing Rogue.

All in all there is both a light and a dark side to the temple, people find joy, no judgements, friendship, relaxation and an artistic outlet in the church. On the other hand people also get robbed, hurt or generally driven insane as a result of the various on-going activities.

Monodominant
2012-02-13, 06:04 AM
Great job! Perhaps at some point he can visit other temples to see what the rest of the players have come up with. BUT since your entry is by far the best you get a 1 time bonus 500xp for a well written description that generates plothooks just for being there!

Passing through the district he sees different temples, from the majestic and awe inspiring temple to Pelor to the simple and down to earth temple to Bahamut and the small garden shrine dedicated to Tymora.

Eventually he arrives in front of the steps of the temple of Olidammara as described above.

Zerter
2012-02-13, 06:27 AM
Woohoo! I buy a bottle of wine underway for a gp

I take mental notes of the various temples and briefly describe each major religion to Anakin. I stop by the front door and study the temple of Olidammara. I tell Anakin, "This should be quite the experience! Temples of my main religion are notorious. Best hold on to your purse though and make sure to keep me in your eye at all times."

If I see any indication of the backdoor I'll try to find it, otherwise I'll try a joke I made myself at the front door:

"What's the worst joke in the world?"

* Wait for response *

"The one I'm telling right now!"

Which is followed by me laughing out loud.

Monodominant
2012-02-13, 07:11 AM
The front door slowly opens revealing a long hall with murals and illustrations that seem almost to be flowing.

Anakin frowns and stays closer to you.

Zerter
2012-02-13, 07:17 AM
Just to be clear, I'm taking Anakin in because I feel like he can gain experience from being in a wildly different enviroment, if he is to be an artist he might as well start learning now. But I do realise that what might be behind those doors could not be entirely appropiate for a boy his age.

I pass the hall, studying the murals and illustrations, I'll ask Anakin what he thinks the story and / or meaning of whatever it is we see is.

Monodominant
2012-02-13, 08:12 AM
It is the story of a Robin Hood type character stealing from the rich and giving to the poor while at the same time giving in to his baser needs with a series of peasant girls.

Furthermore the murals depict how the outlaw and his merry band of brigands keep portion of the wealth as it changes hands and end up being more rich than the former rich themselves only to be overthrown by yet another outlaw.

"It shows that rich people are all right bastards regardless of how they started?" he says looking up to you.

Zerter
2012-02-13, 12:08 PM
"Well, most of us are right bastards anyway, it's good that you understand that."

"But mostly the story shows that it is one thing to get rich and another to stay rich. Lots of people gain wealth, but only few of them keep it all their lives and pass it on to a next generation."

Monodominant
2012-02-13, 01:21 PM
He shrugs.

"Thanfully for us all of them are behind the Noble's Quarter wall... no need to interact with them and their crazy ways..." he says and walks besides you.

As you press on you pass through a set of large double doors only to find a rather large, dark and quiet room ahead of you. Three lone torches are strategically placed to create shadows while shedding little light in the whole room while the only sound heard is a slow eerie song played on a kantele.

Room Soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNz4zJobg58&feature=related)

Monodominant
2012-02-13, 01:23 PM
He shrugs.

"Thanfully for us all of them are behind the Noble's Quarter wall... no need to interact with them and their crazy ways..." he says and walks besides you.

As you press on you pass through a set of large double doors only to find a rather large, dark and quiet room ahead of you. Three lone torches are strategically placed to create shadows while shedding little light in the whole room while the only sound heard is a slow eerie song played on a kantele.

Room Soundtrack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNz4zJobg58&feature=related)

Zerter
2012-02-13, 03:41 PM
I squint my eyes as I try to get a glimpse of what's in the room and continue forward. For once I supress the urge to announce my presence with a bang. I was expecting something of a celebration and don't want to interrupt whatever is going on. I make sure to keep Anakin close to me and the wine available within arm's length, wanting to be prepared for anything that might happen.

Monodominant
2012-02-13, 05:54 PM
You feel Anakin holding you pants as he is incredibly worried about this turn of events and you continue walking forwards.

And then suddently you realise you dont feel it anymore nor do you hear his footsteps. A second later and the lights from the torches flicker as if blown softly by a wind and then they die plunging you into utter darkness.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 12:38 AM
I sharpen all my senses (going into full-defense) and say softly, "Dolf, see if you can find Anakin or anything of note and come back to me." I also continue going forward slowly.

Monodominant
2012-02-14, 03:31 AM
Its when you break your silence that you are assaulted by the equivalent of 10 daylight spells all cast in front of you and at the same space.

As you are temporarily blinded you hear someone yell.

"TAG YOU ARE IT! COWARD SPOTTED! COULDNT HOLD HIS TONGUE!!!!" and after that you start hearing shuffling feet and people laughing and moving around.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 08:25 AM
Assuming i'm it since I talked: I move towards wherever I hear people moving the most while blinded and observe the area I'm in to the best of my abilities with all my sense at the moment that I regain sight.

I'm also wondering how I am suppose to tag people since I don't have 10 daylight spells.

Monodominant
2012-02-14, 09:31 AM
You get a friendly slap on the back and someone ruffles your hair as you move around and then slowly you can see again.

In the room there are about 15 people, some dressed in clerics vestments some not. They are chatting happily and also are waiting for you to get your bearings.

"So! You there!" calls out one of the priests.

"Yes you! You are It! You even get a free blessing if you can explain what IT is!" he says jovially.

You also notice two things. Noone actually cast daylight, it just seems that the ceiling of the temple was before somehow concealed but now it seems to be transparent letting the light of the sun go through. It was the sudden and intense light that made you temporarily blinded and not any spell.

The second thing is that Anakin is nowhere to be seen.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 09:44 AM
I look around dazed and confused. I try to get in the spirit of things, but I am also a little bit worried about Anakin going missing.

"I was under the impression we were playing a game of hide-and-seek with everyone's sensory input being disrupted, with me speaking revealing my position, so being it means I have to go and find someone in the next game?"

"By the way, there was a young boy with me when I came in, has anyone seen him?"

Monodominant
2012-02-14, 09:57 AM
He considers your words.

"Yea I guess that works! Well thats what we were doing then! Especially the sensory input things... and dont you dark vision people think I didnt see you peaking from your blindfolds!" he says and looks around towards the single dwarf in the room.

"In any case... the game also involved seeing who is the weakest link that would give up first and try to end the game 'because its silly' but your breaking the silence worked anyway... so yea. Unlucky for you to turn up at that time... oh by the way. Who are you and what brings you to the temple?" he says either forgetting or ignoring your question about Anakin.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 10:19 AM
I take a deep breath and use my most powerful voice to blur out the following: "I am Zerter Molitor of the Molitor bloodline, journeyman to the Guild of Artists and Performers, master to Anakin, student of life and a longtime admirer of Olidammara! I've decided to take my performing up to the next step and figured I could use the blessing of Olidammara, I've always meant to visit the temple so I figured I could get two flies with one stone."

"Anyone seen the kid by the way? He did not hit some kind of magical age-related barrier did he?"

Monodominant
2012-02-14, 10:33 AM
"Kid... kid... hmmm... nop. Didnt see any kids. There is a raven around here somewhere. I saw it flapping its wings... and we dont have one of those barrier thingies..." explains the priest.

"Now well met Molitor of the Molitor line! I am High Priest Rodolfus of the... er I guess Rodolfus line!" he says and extends his hand to you.

"Now assuming the kid was here and since as you said being 'it' meant you would lose something and have to find it... well then I guess he is the thing you seek! As for blessing I am glad to hear it and I am glad you follow the God's ways! I grant you the blessing" he says and touches you on the forehead.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 10:48 AM
"Thanks! I will never wash my forehead again. Unless it gets dirty of course."

"So, I've got to find Anakin. Mmm. I guess I'll go to every room, see if he's in any and start searching them for hidden stuff if he's not. How big is this place anyway? And I don't suppose there is a lot of hidden stuff, is there?"

I'd be such a concerned parent : D

Monodominant
2012-02-14, 03:55 PM
The cleric laughs.

"Feel free to wash it. Blessing is in you not on the skin!" he explains with a warm tone.

"And yea searching around this place... heh...full of hidden stuff. Some can be found, some should be found... some should never be found and some people may not want to be disturbed. But I guess its all in the game..." and then suddenly you see him frowning.

"Damn it! There goes the whole joke!" he says looking at someone behind you.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 04:03 PM
Before getting worried about or starting to search for the missing boy that trusted me completely and who I lead to disappear in a place filled with dangers and crazy people, I'll nod and listen as the Cleric talks to me.

I'll take a look behind me and see what's going on.

Monodominant
2012-02-14, 04:17 PM
You see an annoyed looking man holding Anakin from the collar of his vest.

"Does this belong to you?" asks the man with a fairly angry tone.

"Let me go you brute! We are supposed to practice and steal and stuff! He told me all about it!" Anakin yells as he squirms motioning towards you at the last part.

Zerter
2012-02-14, 04:47 PM
"Tag! You're it. I won the game, woohoo!"

I make a salto to celebrate followed by a little dance.

"Also, yes he does belong to me. Anakin, I'm pretty sure I never told you to steal stuff, and that if you did you should not get caught. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you showing iniative, but I'd prefer you to do it in a way that won't end up with you spending the rest of your life in shackles alongside Merin. I've been trying to teach you something and I am very disappointed right now, apologize to this gentleman right away."

Tumble: [roll0]
Perform dance (untrained): [roll1]
Diplomacy: [roll2]

Monodominant
2012-02-15, 10:02 AM
Your dance and jump get you a couple of claps though not that warm or impressed.

"msorry" mutters Anakin his eyes downcast.

"M just a boy... I thought twouldbe fun" mastering his best young boy looking ashamed look. You see that its an act but it seems your words, and maybe their being gullible, appease the man who holds Anakin and he drops him unceremoniously on the floor.

"Well... just keep your hands close then little man." he tells Anakin and then turns to you.

"Name is Freddy. Freddy Two Thumbs..." he says and offers you his hand that indeed has 2 thumbs.

Zerter
2012-02-15, 10:12 AM
I shake his hand enthusiastically, "A pleasure to meet you Freddy Two Thumbs! My name is Zerter Molitor. Mr. Thirdwayman. The boy is Anakin, my apprentice, a diamond in the rough so to say. May I offer you this fine bottle of wine to make up for any inconvience he might have caused you?"

Monodominant
2012-02-15, 10:35 AM
"You may indeed! I like wine! Especially one gained for doing basically nothing!" he says and smiles.

"So Thirdwayman! Interesting name... can lead to many a misunderstandings I bet! May I ask how you got it?" Freddy asks and the cleric seeing the situation defused departs leaving the three of you to talk.

Anakin looks around the room with interest and you recognise a spark of mischief in his eyes.

Zerter
2012-02-15, 10:44 AM
I keep an eye on Anakin as I talk with Two Fingers. "Ah well, when presented with two options or two sides I have a tendency to look for a third way. Anakin gave me the name actually, I think he was mocking me, but you can't undo a nickname once it's given!"

"So, what brings you to this place? Are you a regular attendee at the church? I'm afraid to admit this is my first time here, but I do like the music and games so far."

Monodominant
2012-02-16, 01:55 PM
Anakin goes around looking at lude pictures and paintaings with great interest when those depict a female. He also keeps his eye towards a young woman in bright clothes talking to another woman near a small side fountain, located at the far west side of the mail hall. The two women have left their backpacks near the fountain so that they can sit at its side and dangle their feet in the water without risk of getting them wet.

The man laughts.

"A good nickname. Mine is too practical but what can you do..." he says with a smile.

"As for me, not a regular no. But I had some offerings to give after a recent... adventure of mine. It pays not to forget one's patron. And its good to see new faces around here as always!"

Zerter
2012-02-16, 02:15 PM
"A recent adventure? That sounds interesting! Do tell more."

I keep an eye on Anakin, but I try to appear as if I'm not.

What races are the two ladies? Btw! I still need the guild rules and bylaws.

Monodominant
2012-02-16, 03:52 PM
I know, I know. Havent gotten around to putting it on paper yet and its been 2 busy days...

"I am afraid I cant... it was through the Sad Flint and they make you sign all those agreements about it... magically enforced even..." he says and shrugs.

The two women are both human. Or at least they appear to be. Its not them that Anakin is watching but rather their backpacks... but he doesnt make any move to head there yet.

Zerter
2012-02-16, 06:41 PM
Okay.

I was not curious about the races because I thought Anakin was watching them, I just had a plan for what I would do if he would go for one of the bags that involved me being able to communicate with one of them in a language not familiar to Anakin X_X

"Ah. That's too bad. You know, I have plans for an entertainment establishment myself that I intend to have eclipse the Sad Flint! And let me tell you, it would be a lot more like this place than like the Sad Flint is right now. Magically enforced contracts that prevent you from telling good stories, could there be anything more boring?"

Monodominant
2012-02-17, 03:47 AM
He laughs once again and even louder this time. It seems mirth comes easy on this one.

"Oh my! Have you been living under a rock Molitor?" he asks... rhetorically.

"The Sad Flint is by far not the most fancy place in town. If you are buying I can take you on a tour around the most fancy and colorful establishments that provide entertainment this side of the city. Hell if you get us permits I can even show you a place I know in the Nobles quarter..." he says and though his claims sound genuine, this last part about the NQ doesnt convince you.

"The Sad Flint does offer the occasional entertainer but more often than not its other type of work that you can get there and that is what is confidential..."

Zerter
2012-02-17, 04:49 AM
Can I get permits to enter the noble quarter being-a-noble-but-not-really and all? Btw, I'm getting the idea this is a NPC from another adventure : D

I look a little embarassed but when he offers me the tour I lighten up.

"Ow, a tour sounds great! Would you mind starting with this place?"

Eyes still on Anakin!

Monodominant
2012-02-17, 06:22 AM
You need to ask the appropriate authorities about that.

In your current situation the appropriate authorities represent the guards by the Noble Quarter entrance.

Also... you may not be far from the truth about the NPC but who can know those things...

Anakin grins when he hears you will be going for a tour.

"Ah... I think I will stay here, the the music is so nice and stuff and my feet are sore!" he says. Had you not seen his interest in the backpacks and known his background you would have actually believed him.

Two-thumbs shrugs and looks at you.

"The temple is the temple. Its always here plus half the rooms are private but sure why not, we can have a look around!"

Zerter
2012-02-17, 12:26 PM
"Do as you please Anakin, just don't get caught stealing again. I need to know I can trust you and that you're capable of acting in your own best interests."

"Let us be on our way Two-thumbs! I don't know if I can get us in the nobles quarters by the way, I'll guess we'll find out as part of the tour."

Monodominant
2012-02-18, 07:28 AM
He nods and stays on the spot until you depart.

Your companion looks at you and then him.

"Your apprentice seems smart enough but if he tries to do anything to those two women he will end up regretting it..." he says as he sets off.

"So where do you want to start? Still the temple?"

Zerter
2012-02-18, 08:43 AM
D&D today, but everyone is late.

"I've offered the boy a good life in the now and an education for his future. I'm not gonna force him to stay out of problems. If he wants to go back to the street and eventually join his former master in the needle mines than that's his decision to make.

I do wonder if I'm a good master sometimes, it's all so new to me still. I've only met him yesterday you know."

"Please feel free to be the judge of what location we best visit first. If we're leaving I should let Anakin know though."

At some point I'm also gonna check if I still have all my stuff and I keep doing so every now and again.

Monodominant
2012-02-20, 07:15 AM
At this time you still have all your possessions on you.

The man shrugs.

"Never did like having sidekicks hanging around me. I end up getting sentimental over them and then whey they perish I end up feeling bad...." he says with a hint of calousness.

"We can have a look around the ol'place before heading out!" He says and takes you around the temple.

The whole tour takes a bit more than an hour as you stop by various funcion rooms and have a drink her and there. He seems jovially and able to hold his licker and despite the climbing amount of alchohol in your body you do notice that he likes to blubber alot, obviously in love with the sound of his own voice.

You also notice, when you are passing by it, how the main corridor mural has actually changed slightly to show an alternate ending that fits a bit more a ture RobinHoodean hero.

He takes you to the second floor and the basements, though the last part is fairly boring as quite a few of the rooms are occupied and off limits. There are even some armed and armored men before particular doors blocking the way and your companion stirs clear of those.

"Some times even the guilds conduct business here when they dont want the Council or the Nobles to learn of it... though often enough a guild official stepping inside the temple is cause enough to have the Guard visit him at his house... there is a particularly nasty group called 'The Particulars' which lets say not always play by the books..."

Monodominant
2012-02-20, 07:21 AM
Guild bylaws:

The bylaws basically explain the purpose of the guild 'To further artistic development in Aldhaven and to ensure that said professionals are protected and developed through the guild'.

This includes paid classes and courses for those wealthy enough to enroll and details the requirements of applicants but also of the masters and teachers. It details the relationship between apprentice and master, who is allowed to have one and what is expected from each party especially when the apprentiship is paid for.

It goes on to detail the cost structure a performer should follow and how to ensure that guild members have strict tarriffs depending on the venue. As such selection is done based on ability and type of skillset rather than a fierce price competition.

It also mentions the various penalties against non-guild members who try to get a piece of the pie but also guild members who violate the 'tariff grids'.

It then goes on to explain the election processes and how one can advance along with requirements for the different levels of skill. These do include having been a member of the guild for some years per level but those restrictions can be voided with the express permission of the Guild Masters.

Last but not least it makes mention that Guild Members may be called upon to form an 'entertainment corps' should Aldhaven raise the banners and march off to war.

Other than that there is a whole score of smaller and trivial regulations in the booklet.

Zerter
2012-02-20, 08:14 AM
I constantly drink in name of Olidammara! Thanks for the bylaws.
I nod along and listen, taking as much in as I can, I try to please my companion's ego a little bit, trying to look impressed, "The particulars? That does sound interesting, can you elaborate on that? Thanks for the tour, where do you want to take us next?"

I go see what Anakin is doing and assuming he is not in trouble offer him to join the tour.

Monodominant
2012-02-20, 08:52 AM
He lowers his voice almost worried.

"The Particulars is one of the special branches of the Guard. Officially they are an internal affairs group or as they call it 'politicals'. In practice they are the brutish 'by any means necessary' arm of the guard that torture, beat and blackmail those that their more by the book comrades cant touch."

He stops talking about this and smiles when asked about where to next.

"Well I have my favorite place... you are not a girl so we cant eat there for free but its a good joint so we should enjoy it! You will see what it is when we get there" he says and waits for you to pick up Anakin before leaving.

You find Anakin waiting near where you left him. He is still scouting out the temple but has indeed not done anything foolish.

Yea sorry for the delay with the bylaws but I had to think of something that can apply to all guilds with the appropriate changes. Keep in mind for example that once something is written it goes to the city wiki that the DMs have access to... so from now on if ever a PC wants to join said guild they get the same bylaws as you just did.

and also sorry they are not a 1.2.3.4.5. detailed list but that would take for ever to get done in a proper bylaw short of way...

Zerter
2012-02-20, 09:09 AM
Actually, I'm quite happy about appearingly being the first person to join this guild and the first person to visit a temple of Olidammara. Gives me the feeling that despite the amount of players that have played Aldhaven I have established a niche character. Pretty sure that if I played a artificer intend to create a lot of magic items I was not running into so much unexplored territority.
"Mmm... well, it does not surprise me that such a force exists. You did say one of the special branches, what are the others?"

"Hey Anakin, our good friend Two-Fingers here has kindly offered to give a tour of the city. I'm sure you're familiar with it already, but it can't help to look at it through fresh eyes. We'll be leaving right away."

Just so you know, these are some of the goals I've set for myself so far:

Become a citizen of Aldhaven, possibly rise in the political scene.
Find a good place to work as an entertainer.
Become a guildmaster.
Start my own business.
Become a Cleric of Olidammara.
Become recognized as a real noble.
Get Anakin properly trained.

Monodominant
2012-02-20, 10:45 AM
"Well there are whispers of an ever worse group called the Honor Guard but I dont know anything about them... other than that they have a group of people involved with checking out external plots, treason and the like and everyone else as normal..."

Anakin nods.

"Who'se paying for it?" he asks smartly.

Its nice for us as well cause when we flesh out more aspects of the city it makes future plots and life easier :D

For example in the case of the guild though in the end noone had been a member there were PCs that had visited and asked about them etc. So I did have some info... the woman you met for example was initially created by Rizban. I fleshed her out though and made some decisions about who she is...

Monodominant
2012-02-20, 10:47 AM
"Well there are whispers of an ever worse group called the Honor Guard but I dont know anything about them... other than that they have a group of people involved with checking out external plots, treason and the like and everyone else as normal..."

Anakin nods.

"Who'se paying for it?" he asks smartly.

Its nice for us as well cause when we flesh out more aspects of the city it makes future plots and life easier :D

For example in the case of the guild though in the end noone had been a member there were PCs that had visited and asked about them etc. So I did have some info... the woman you met for example was initially created by Rizban. I fleshed her out though and made some decisions about who she is...

Zerter
2012-02-20, 06:17 PM
"The honor gaurd, mmm..."

"I am assuming we will be paying our fair share. Lets be on our way! What's our first stop?"

Yeah, I get that. My D&D party plays the same homemade urban campaign setting for over 1,5 years already, everything takes place in the same city and it gets more fleshed out with every campaign and every adventure with (former) PCs and NPCs making recurring visits. The city itself is not really comperable to Aldhaven though, it's a major metropolis with over 10 million inhabitants.

I do feel like I'm picking up some useful stuff to consider incorporating like citizenship.

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 03:38 AM
Well consider that in Canon DnD the biggest city on the Multiverse is Sigil closely followed by Waterdeep (1 million people) which is huge for medieval type settings... During the Byzantine Golden Era Constantinoples had 300 to 400k inhabitants and during that time was topping 50k.

London for example was something like 100-200k during dark to middle ages, reaching 0.5M during rennaisance and 1 million at around 1800s.

In our case Aldhaven is aroun 150k inhabitants, 180k with the surrounding farmsteads and villages.

Anakin coughs politely.

"Not sure if its a fancy place if they will let me in and if I can pay my share..." he mutters.

"If you are a true performer you dont need to worry about paying where we are going..."explains you guide.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 05:07 AM
Well, Omega City is a medieval type metropolis, and it's not like it makes any sense for there to be such limitations on populations because... magic. If D&D canon was that great, we would'nt all be making our own cities.

The idea is in a nutshell that a group of casters once stumbled on an area where their magic was enhanced greatly on the material plane, build a magic university there and a city started to expand from that point.

"Don't worry about it Anakin, we'll be fine.

True entertainers we are, I can't tell you how much time I spend laughing at my own jokes!" [laughs out loud]

How is Anakin dressed by the way? Does he look poor or ragged or something

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 05:30 AM
Well I guess in a DnD setting there is healing magic and all that... so the main issue for which population was kept low in real life (disease) doesnt apply as much...

Your apprentice is wearing the same clothes from when you met him. They are old but not ruined and thankfully the weather is bad enough that he gets them regularly washed through rain and snow so he doesnt stink. They are dirty though.

Without further delay you take to the streets. His footsteps lead you towards the center of Aldhaven in Midtown and before long you arrive outside the "Decisive" a rather large tavern with live music.

The main interest is that patrons are invited to perform in dancing on stage. If the crowd likes their dancing they receive a free meal, if not they have to pay for the meal and a round of drinks.

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 05:32 AM
Well I guess in a DnD setting there is healing magic and all that... so the main issue for which population was kept low in real life (disease) doesnt apply as much...

Your apprentice is wearing the same clothes from when you met him. They are old but not ruined and thankfully the weather is bad enough that he gets them regularly washed through rain and snow so he doesnt stink. They are dirty though.

Without further delay you take to the streets. His footsteps lead you towards the center of Aldhaven in Midtown and before long you arrive outside the "Decisive" a rather large tavern with live music.

The main interest is that patrons are invited to perform in dancing on stage. If the crowd likes their dancing they receive a free meal, if not they have to pay for the meal and a round of drinks.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 05:50 AM
Healing magic, sanitation magic, agriculture magic, it all solves a lot of problems especially when you start thinking from an epic level casting point of view. Omega City also has a bunch of outsiders, dragons, a lot of undead and a great variaty of races living in it, pretty much anything you can imagine. It's really meant to be a world on its own, but well, I can go on and on about it : D.

If possible I get Anakin some decent looking clothes on the way, nothing that screams "rich", but something that does say, "this is a well-taken-care-off apprentice".

"Uh... I think you've seen me dance before mister Two-Fingers, it's not exactly a speciality of mine. But what the heck, I'll give it a try. Anakin, give it your best as well! I've been meaning to see how you handle yourself in front of a crowd."

I get on stage and dance!

Assuming it's simply a perform (dance) check, I'll do a number and also tumble as part of the dance on appropiate moments to try and enhance my performance. perform (dance) untrained: [roll0], tumble [roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 07:04 AM
The dice gods favor you!

Your guide seems pleased that you jump right on the stage before he even has a chance to inform you that you dont -have- to dance. You can just sit, eat and drink and enjoy the performance and just pay for your meal instead of risking to have to buy the whole crowded tavern a round of drinks.

Your performance though is more than satisfactory. The crowd is pleased and clapping as you spin and duck in a modern style dance that none of them have seen before. Anakin is more agile than talented and he manages to do backup moves that compliment yours but he is nor as graceful nor as charismatic as you to make his blunders look practiced and intended.

In the end the host of the show claps you on the back and shakes your hand.

"Splendid! Folks I believe we have tonights most deserving free-loader" he says with a large, honest smile and motions to the waiters to bring ample food and drink at your table.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 07:22 AM
Yes they do : D!

I bow to the audience at the end of the performance, "Zerter Molitor good people, at your service!"

I sit down to eat and drink, thanking the host and waitresses. But not before I say a small prayer to Olidammara who has apparantly blessed me plenty. I start a conversation with Anakin, "How did it feel to be in front of an audience? Don't worry if your moves are not refined yet, what's important is that you get used to the crowd."

I also ask Two-Fingers if he can tell me more about the place.

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 07:51 AM
Anakin shrugs.

"If you mean stage fright I dont have any of that. As I always say, half the shame is mine, half the shame is theirs!" he says and also munches his food happily.

When you turn to your companion he smiles.

"Its Two-thumbs actually. We all got 2 fingers so that nickname would be appropriate only if I didnt have any more!" he says jovially also pleased you got the food and drink covered.

"Well this place has been around oh... what now... 3 years almost. Its a new thing this whole be part of the entertainment that they are doing but it seems to be working so..." he shrugs.

"The owner is a man called Rafael Krener who is also a member of the guild but he doesnt have the best relations with them as far as I hear it..."

Zerter
2012-02-21, 07:56 AM
"What guild exactly? And why dosent he have good relationships? The place does seem to attract a crowd at any rate. As I told you I intent to start my own place in the long run and I can see the merits in this interactive type of entertainment."

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 08:15 AM
"Well its the same guild as you... the reason they dont like him is that he is making the everyman a star. Mind you its not as if they do something against him... they did once claiming that the performers that come in here and dance for free food receive a form of payment, ie the food, and as such are subject to Guild policy for performing without giving the guild a fee..." he laughs at this.

"The Council didnt accept it off course but it did create bad blood between him and the guild..."

Zerter
2012-02-21, 08:23 AM
I nod and listen, "Interesting. I guess I got to remember to send the guild some bread to cover my fees..." [laughs out loud]

"You know, I'd be interested in meeting this Rafael Krener, is there any chance he is around?"

If two-thumbs dosent know I'll ask a waitress.

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 08:43 AM
Two-thumbs doesnt know but the waitress informs you that he isnt there yet. He does come every day but later according to the information she relays.

Also since you have been open to drinking as much as has been passed to you could I have a fortitude check please?

PS> Your companion does seem tipsy.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 08:45 AM
[roll0] may the dice god not screw me!

Zerter
2012-02-21, 08:52 AM
I lessen up on the drinking, "Thanks. That will give me time to sober up a bit."

"Do you guys mind waiting a bit? I'm sure the drinks and food will keep on coming."

While I'm a public place I might as well make some gather information checks. I mingle a bit and ask for general opinions about the artist guild, this place, the temple of Olidammara and keep my ears open for any gossip.

I also check my belongings again.

Various gather information checks assisted by my Raven: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 09:28 AM
You are intoxicated:

You are at -2 Int and Dexterity but gain 5 temporary HP!

The clients that dont seem to know the enmity between guild and owner seem pleased about the guild overall saying that it adds a note of happyness on the difficult city life. You do not hear any complaints from anyone about it other than that occasionally they charge too much.

This place received high praise from most patrons, they are here after all. They have good things to say about the usual musicians and also are happy when the dancers are good but even more so when they arent as they get to drink for free and boo people of the stage.

Few worship Olidammara directly so few have something to say but you dont hear anything bad about the temple and the work it does.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 09:36 AM
Having spend some time here by now and not wanting to spend the day waiting I approach Two-Thumbs and say, "How would you feel about going to the next place? What did you have in mind anyway?"

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 10:15 AM
"Well frankly speaking I have some errands to run and nor you, nor I seem the most stable on our feet! When I offered to guide you around I didnt mean right now but this place was close so I thought why not! Maybe we can meet tomorrow early afternoon and hit a few more drinking holes and continue the fun then?"

Zerter
2012-02-21, 10:37 AM
"Sure, sure. Of course! I have to leave some time to earn some money to pay for some flowers I send, and seeing as I have no patronage as of yet that might take some doing. But other than that I'm available to visit holes all day."

Gather information assisted by Raven: what's the best place to perform for money among places I could perform in the next few days [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 10:46 AM
It is well known that the Sad Flint pays for those that can keep the crowd it gathers well entertained. Rarely though do they have repeat performances due to the fact that most end up annoying the Half-Giant bartender one way or another (true story this has happened with 3-4 PCs that tried the 'stage').

There is also a famous tavern in Old Town that is known as a 'supplier that pays well'. The Old Weavers Inn has exclusive clientele and has different rooms with different types of entertainment to satisfy all needs.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 10:52 AM
After we're truly stuffed and content I tip the people at the Decisive with a gp in total (big spender) and leave for the Sad Flint with Anakin, as we go over there I ask him if he can tell me anything about the place.

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 10:54 AM
"The Sad Flint is famous! All type of adventurers, heroes and villains, end up there. Some are looking for job, some are looking for others of their type to band together while some just go for a room and food. They say its the safest inn in the city and that a Noble is behind it... there are other darker rumors about it being a 'forwarder' for any type of job regardless of moral ambiguitities..." he says his voice dropping down a few notches.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 11:01 AM
"Two-Thumbs said something along the same lines. We're gonna have to be at our best to make this work."

I do intent to go there sober, so if I havent walked it off already I'll extend the walk

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 11:05 AM
An hour or so later, along with the extended walk, the cold has sobered you up nicely and you are there with a clear head and a full belly.

The interior of the Sad Flint is quite crowded. People are coming and going all over the rather large barroom. Patrons of any possible description abound, most content to drink the beers in their hands. No one bothers to turn their head when yet another patron walks in. The atmosphere of the place is slightly dingy, but comfortable.

A lone half-giant is serving as the bartender at the long bar across from the entrance. Round tables with an average of four chairs each litter the common area, although several have borrowed chairs from others nearby. More than half of them seem occupied by patrons of some description and number. A pair of armored bouncers guard a double door along the west wall.

Barmaids of many different races weave in and out of the traffic, delivering food and drinks, as well as picking up empty crockery and more than a few pick-up lines.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 11:10 AM
I take in the atmosphere and than approach the Half-Giant, "Greetings. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Zerter Molitor and this is my apprentice Anakin. I have yesterday joined the Artist and Entertainers Guild and am now looking for a place to practice my craft. The word on the street is that many artists do not last long in this place, and I do enjoy a challenge. I would like a chance to prove myself if possible."

Diplomacy assisted by Raven: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 03:34 PM
"Splendid! Just what I needed!" the half-giant says his voice quiet so as not to disturb the patrons of the tavern.

"So my last dishwasher quit after a wee girl summoned some kind of demon creature to impress a gnome mercenary captain... would you be interested in that? It pays 2 silver a night and two meals out of the kitchen scraps..."

Zerter
2012-02-21, 03:43 PM
Just a random question, but why do farmers work their ass off for 5 gp year when they can just work in the kitchen for 75?

I'll make a sense motive check assisted by my Raven to discern as much as I can about the intent behind his question before answering. Is he testing how I respond? Is he talking bout Anakin? Is he serious? Is he mocking me? Does he hate kitties?

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 04:46 PM
Not every farmer can get a job at a tavern. Farmers may end up with 5gp a year 'profit' but they have a house of their own. The 2 silver offered include food but not rent...

He seems to be testing you and mocking you at the same time not out mean spirit but out of boredom and experience.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 04:54 PM
I smile, "As much as I would want to. I'm afraid the job is not suited for me. As much as I adore demons, wee girls just scare me too much."

"Do you have anything open with less responsibility? Maybe if I'll ease into engaging the crowd here I can learn to get over my fear of little girls one step at a time."

Diplomcy assisted by Raven: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 05:36 PM
He shrugs not really moved by your words or your jokes.

"I will make you the same offer I made the last entertainer we had around here. You perform for my clientele and they decide. If you get more applause than annoyed silence or even boos you can stay. If not you work the kitchens for a week for free... But I warn you. The crowd in the Flint is a tough one. Each group here has their own business and they are not always in a jovial mood or caring to listen or watch your performance. And those that dont actively like you count against you..." he tells you and gives you a few moments to think about it.

Indeed the bartender has to turn to a client that has just walked up to him. The client, an orange haired youth in expensive clothing, a thin rapier at his waist, and with various pieces of jewelery about his person, gives the half-giant a folded note and whispers a few words to him before ordering an expensive drink and then staying at the bar lost in his own thoughts.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 05:49 PM
I'm not exactly impressed with his sense of humor either, he started the jokes and suddenly I'm getting the cold reaction! "Fair enough, you have yourself a deal. Would you mind providing me with some sharp knives from the kitchen and some chairs for my performance? Let me know when I can start, I could start right away, I'd just like to try and get a sense of the audience first though."

Gather information assisted by Raven:
What are the main type of crowds in the Sad Flint right now?
What kind of entertainment do these various groups like?
What are some recognizble public people to the crowd here (with the intention to mimic)?

Monodominant
2012-02-21, 06:35 PM
Currently there are 28 people all in all in the Flint. Most are in groups of 3 or more but there are also a couple of loners and a bigger of group of 6.

From the look of them and from what you hear from the different conversations they are mostly what you would call soldiers of fortune with the occasional adventurer or weirder sort along with servants or apprentices.

There is for a example a table with 3 gnomes, they are all wearing similar clothing which is basically green coats and trousers with black belts and boots and green top hats. They have two dozen empty glasses on their table and have asked the waitress not to take them as they need to keep track. They also have stripes on their shoulders indicating rank but you have not seen such uniforms before.

There is also a table with two young clerics. One is fully armed and armored while the other is in dark grey robes. They are discussing the theological aspects of looting the dead in the process of an adventurer.

A third table with a large group of men and half-elves are probably servants as they discuss in whispered tones about what some kind of high profile arrest can mean for their future and their masters.

The loners included a man in full plate armor sitting on his own and much like you observing the tavern. He is quiet and reserved and dont learn anything about him initially. At the center of his chest engraved on his armor there is the symbol of Pelor though with some unusual alterations.

The other lones is the orange haired youth who is slowly finishing his drink.

Zerter
2012-02-21, 06:43 PM
When can I perform, will the material be there and can you give me the name and appearance description of some high ranking noble and a known priest from Pelor?

Also interested in what kind of reputation the Half-Giant has in case I want to mimic him. Will make a gather information checks for all three persons (half-giant, pelor guy, noble guy) I intent to mimic for information about reputation and mannerisms

Monodominant
2012-02-22, 03:53 AM
The bartender indicates that you can perform whenever you want and he gives you the items you requested.

You know of a famous Pelorite, Reverend Bright who is one of the leading preachers in the Church of Pelor in Aldhaven. He is a tall thin man with a bright face and long blonde hair. His speech is passionate and powerful and his sermons always fill the church.

About Nobles you know of Marque ___ he is a young man who is known for before returning to the city to claim his fathers position, after the mans death, he was actually an adventurer. He is a bright, good looking man that attracts followers to himself through his kindness and grace.

About the Half-Giant owner you think it prudent not to ask when he is just within earshot in his own tavern...

Dont have access to the wiki and dont recall by heart the name of the House the guy above belongs to... will update later.

Zerter
2012-02-22, 04:45 AM
Right whatever. Lets just do this :D I'm gonna do it phase by phase so I can see my rolls and react to them.

I also ask for some iron bars or a similiar material. As well as a bunch of poles. Oh, and a mirror.

I disguise as the Half-Giant at a moment when he's not present in the room (but will be re-entering shortly) and walk up the stage looking absent minded cleaning some knives and sitting one of the chairs. I pretend to cut myself at some point and throw up a bunch of them in the air in "anger."

I then say "O dear!" and start juggling them, looking panicked like if I'll hurt myself if I stop. I get up a little bit and make the chair drop behind me (sitting in the air so to speak), slowly getting erect while focussing on the knives in a panicked way, but eventually falling down on my ass and looking really scared while continuing to juggle.

Everything I can assisted by my Raven until the point I need him to spook the audience.

Knowledge local, nobility: mannerisms and information about all three to aid performance [roll0], [roll1]
Sleight of hand to do juggling: [roll2]
Bluff for the deception (hi I are Half-Giant!): [roll3]

Zerter
2012-02-22, 05:15 AM
Sitting on the floor I tumble upwards while maintaining my juggle. At some point when the Half-Giant walks in I'll point at him and loudly say "Imposter!".

At this point I'll start tumbling and slowly putting the knifes away one by one. Still pretending to have hurt myself previously I talk in myself a little bit (but in a way thats hearable), "Who is this man that looks like me !? And I need a cleric of Pelor!" As I say the last part I look at my imaginary wound and faint. During the faint I'll transform into the Reverend Bright.

Getting up meekly as the Reverend I fall down on my knees and say in a desperate manner while crossing my hands and looking at the imaginary sky, "O Pelor, why areth thy testing me? Am I a man of god or the strongest bartender in the world? There is only one way to find out!" At this point Dolf presents me with an iron bar. I flex the muscles of my now thin body and start looking extremely puffed up trying to break the bar. I start quoting anything I know or think I know in terms of Pelor texts in Celestial as I do this (if I don't break the bar in 90 seconds, I'll have Anakin come on and help me break it, in a way that indicates he's doing most of the work).

Tumble: [roll0]
Tumble: [roll1]
Bluff (imitate the Reverend): [roll2]
Break the bar: [roll3], [roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7], [roll8], [roll9], [roll10], [roll11], [roll12], [roll13], [roll14], [roll15], [roll16], [roll17], [roll18], [roll19], [roll20], [roll21], [roll22], [roll23], [roll24], [roll25], [roll26]

Zerter
2012-02-22, 05:44 AM
"I broke iron the bar within no time! It is obvious what either I am a man of Pelor or the strongest bartender in the world: Pelor shines through me for I have strength beyond belief!"

"I shall now say the neccesary words to get Pelor to heal my wounds. Ow Pelor, I am your humblest servant, you are so great and awesome! I go to bed in my Pelor pyajamas every night and cast light so you will protect me."

Taking on form of the Cleric in Pelor pyajama and folding my hands and sleeping in the air for a moment before changing back to standard Cleric.

I pretend to examine my wound and exclaim, "Pelor has healed me!", I examine the room for a moment, "But I can tell some of you are still non-believers". At this point I throw my arms wide open and make a speech, "Pelor is the light that casts out the darkness. If you don't eat your broccoli, clean your room and donate a significant amount of your money to the church, you shall not have acces to the Plane of Enlightenment! Pelor is not without forgiveness however, if you just donate the money a deal might be reached as well. Pray to the sun god or he will strike you down!"

At the last part I jump up, pretend to throw a lightning bolt (like Zeus would) and tumble while changing in any of the adventurers that are showing interest.

"That is, unless I am an adventurer! Adventurers don't need gods, no! All we need is a good bottle of ale and a princess to rescue from a dragon for halve the kingdom!"

I get a drink from somewhere which I'll keep in my hand during this bit. I'll continue my monologue while making the chairs face each other and putting up a few poles inbetween them. While pretending to drink with one hand, I'll fight a mock battle vs. Dolf with the other using my scimitar and walking back and forth on the poles.

"O mighty Dragon, I shall slayeth thee! [as I mock battle with Dolf] We drink, we fight, we face dangers, all at the same time! There are no responsibilities in the life of an adventurer, just a lot of treasure. [I raise my glass] Sure there are downsides, we don't like the nobles, but who does really? They boss people around, put up walls to keep us out, do this, do that, you're fired! That is unless we attain enough treasure, then we become the nobles!"

Diplomacy: [roll0]: trying to convincingly adress the audience as a public speaker from Pelor.
Intimidate: [roll1]: trying to mock-scare the audience with Pelor's wrath.
Tumble: [roll2]
Bluff: [roll3]: pretend to be the adventurer
Diplomacy: [roll4]: Monologue as adventurer
Balance: [roll5]: walk the poles (will pretend to be drunk and try again if I fall)

Zerter
2012-02-22, 06:09 AM
I pretend to defeat Dolf and make it to the other end of the chair where I pretend to open a chest, "Treasure, treasure, treasure and the hand of the king's daughter! I was an adventurer and now I am a nobleman. Sometimes that's a good thing [change into the marquee], but usually... [change into a generic fat nobleman dripping with nouveau rich showings of wealth]".

I take the mirror and admire myself in it for a minute before wagging my finger at the audience and adressing them in a condescending manner.

"Usually it's just me! I get to command armies, eat at the best places, you will respect and fear me on the streets, and why? Because my great-great-great-grandfather did something really important. Or at least that's what history said because he probably just poisoned a guy!"

I tumble around on stage.

"My children are even more spoiled than I am, but it's okay, because there are people in uniform and adventurers to help them out. I adress the gnomes in their native tongue, I"ll buy your drinks tonight if none of you have ever seen a nobleman that you didn't know you would improve upon!"

I pretend to be adressing a group of adventurers whilst having servants present.

"My son was drunk and joined the cult of Vecna, surely you six don't mind risking your soul by entering their hidden underground temple and defeating their lich-king? I shall pay you 10 gp for this simple task, twice what you peasants make in a year! Don't spend it frivilously though, and oh, if you fail the gaurds shall have your heads!"

"And you! These boots are dirty again, you did not clean them properly! All I did was walk across the garden and now there's mud on them! Surely you can do such a simple thing while I attend to matters of state, another ball awaits!"

I dance formally in a exaggerated way with a pretend partner for a while as if on a ball.

[at this point I think i'm gonna wrap it up, but I'd like to know if I have engaged the audience a little bit before stopping]

Bluff: [roll0] pretend to be nobleman
Tumble: [roll1]
Diplomacy: [roll2] monologue as nobleman
Perform dance: [roll3]

Monodominant
2012-02-22, 08:07 AM
Oj! That was long! Okay... first off... take 500 XP for the performance, description and the RP. Then onwards.

There is some confusion at first as you take the form of the half-giant and start your act. Still most people turn their chairs to look at you and your antics and there are only few that dont actually check your act.

Then they laugh and smile as you call out the real one as an imposter. The half-giant himself seems suprised and his hands fall on his waist and he seems about to come to you and put a stop to this when you pretend to faint.

As you return back "to life" as the priest of Pelor he smiles and returns to his bar and sends out some drinks while continuing to look at your act. The crowd seems warmed up as you pretend to be the priest of Pelor an you notice the orange haired youth and the knigh focus on you more as you do so.

The emotions they show are completely different though. As you continue your speech, which gets a few warm laught and pleasant clapping at particular points the knight becomes obviously annoyed by your well-meaning mocking. The orange haired youth though seems not to enjoy nor to dislike your show. He is more intent at looking at you with interest.

The group of adventurers applaud and cheer you on as you fight Dolf but you do hear a couple of "Get on with it!" or "I wish the Dragon-crow would peck his eyes out!" in between the cheering. Some of the negative calls are obvious jokes but a couple coming from the darker corners of the Flint as serious. Still overall everyone, with the exception of particular individuals, seems to be going along with your stories and your acting so far.

The atmosphere changes when you start mentiong nobles, the kings daughter and do your part about fat nobles being lords just because of birthright and such mockery. There is a queer silence in the tavern and even the most fervent supporters of your act so far grow uneasy. Even the Half-giant looks nervously towards the door and then towards his clientele before turning back to you.

The last part with Vecna and the servants returns some sense of joy and in the crowd relaxing the atmosphere and your dance makes them laugh again but you do feel that it is somewhat forced from many and not as easy as when you started out.

Zerter
2012-02-22, 06:10 PM
Right, making fun of the nobles is apparantly not a good idea. I see a potential way out of this situation though, gonna give it my best!
I change into the marquee again (which I previously presented explicitly as a good noble) and take a more serious tone, "But of course the nobles really are the lifeblood of this city! Mature to the point that a little mocking only causes a smile on their faces. To show my appreciation of what the good rulers for Aldhaven mean for us, 90 of the the proceeds of this show, minus a small fee for the artist guild, will go to a charity of choice of the marquee!" I say this as I visibly put five gp in something suited to collect with (I don't know what the protocol is for collecting, whatever it is, I follow it).

I tumble a few times to get the crowd going on and try to get everyone engaged.

"Clap your hands if you're a patriot of Aldhaven and support the good nobility, ow, and also if you liked the show of course!"

I wait for the clapping to start.

I also point to the knight that was annoyed, "If I can also get a cheer from the gentleman over there, which would be prove that Pelorites can take a little ribbing as well, I will donate the remaining 10% to the church of the shining one!"

Diplomacy check:[roll0]
That's right, we just bribe and intimidate people to cheer for me! You don't cheer for me? The nobles will get you in your sleep! I told the masters I was good at evoking a wide range of emotions.

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 04:00 AM
Your last round of speeches and antics either worry the public or intimidate it into giving. A few more patriotic members are indeed more willing to give without prompting and they clap you in the back as you send Anakin around with the hat.

which is incidentally the way to do it, have a guy go around collecting cause if you expect them to come to you and give you wont really get anything :D

Generally the tavern goes back to a slightly more cheerful state but you still get some funny looks and annoyance from a set of patrons.

The gnomes caring little for the nobility laugh and drink and continue to cheer for you. The orange haired youth gives a slow smile and finishes his drink preparing to depart.

The knight does not in fact cheer not caring that much about your 10% offer and stays sullenly silent.

You collect

[roll0] gold and [roll1] silver for your performance.

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 04:40 AM
Still shows you as last poster so here is a bumpity bump!

Zerter
2012-02-23, 04:52 AM
Right, I count:

- People clapping in the back
- Gnomes cheering me
- Slow smile from orange haired youth
- More cheerful state

vs.

- Sullen silent knight
- some annoyed and funny looks

I think I'm on the good side of "If you get more applause than annoyed silence or even boos you can stay." Though I guess I have to wait if the Half-Giant agrees.
I stay out of sight for a moment, return in the tavern in my normal looks (gotta save some mystique, not that I'm not recognizable as the performer) and approach the bartender, "Right, I don't know about you, but I definitely counted a lot more applaus than annoyed silences and not a single boo! I also learned a valuable lesson in that it's apparantly not okay to make fun of nobles. Do I start tomorrow?"

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 05:21 AM
The Half giant gives a half smile.

"I guess so. I thought I had found my new dish washer there for a moment but I guess you saved it. So yea, you can start tomorrow. Lets say I need you here every other day for now. If I see your act bringing in more pople we can increase the amount..." he stops.

"By the way, whats your guild say about performing salaries. I can chip in 5 gold a night if you get people to order more or more people to come than usual, and I am the judge of that though I will be honest and you also get to eat and drink, with moderation, for free... none of the top shelf stuff though..."

Zerter
2012-02-23, 05:26 AM
What does my guild say about performing salaries? The bylaws say "It goes on to detail the cost structure a performer should follow and how to ensure that guild members have strict tarriffs depending on the venue. As such selection is done based on ability and type of skillset rather than a fierce price competition." But that's not really helpful : D

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 06:03 AM
Your guild establishes:

a minimum of 3 gold for any performance + a "hat"
or
15 gold per performance for an inn.

Other non financial arrangements (food and board) do not interest the guild but the above criteria must be met.

Zerter
2012-02-23, 06:08 AM
"Five gp is fine. I am afraid I have to ask that it's not conditional however. Not because I mind, I have faith in my abilities, but guild regulations stipulate you as an inn have to contribute to 'the hat' otherwise I'm not allowed to perform."

"Also I ask that my apprentice and my loyal Raven companion get to eat and drink as well, all of us in moderation of course. If that's agreeable you have yourself a deal!"

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 06:15 AM
By hat I meant that you are allowed to ask the patrons for contributions if they feel like it!

So its not the inn that pays the hat but the patrons (so for example tonight you would have gotten the 4d6gold+4d6silver (which is special because you did a full performance with many arts and not just perform which gives 3d6 for beating 30 as per SRD) + 5 from him.

He nods.

"You can put out a hat just as long as you dont bother the customers or insist. If they give, they give but no pestering them or threatening them... and keep the whole noble part down. About the churches you can do what you like though..." he says.

He looks down to Anakin and at the raven and shrugs.

"You have a deal."

Zerter
2012-02-23, 06:21 AM
"Hurrah! And since it's free, a bottle of your finest wine! I kid, I kid." [laughs out loud]

I stay in the inn for a little while longer, enjoying the good feeling I have now. I sit at a table and ask Anakin, "So, we're going to be performing at the biggest inn in town every other day. How did like the show, how do you feel about having a place to work from now on and do you feel like playing an active role in the performance?"

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 07:56 AM
Anakin grins.

"Its very nice! Just as long as that brute doesnt make me do the dishes after all!" he says and steals a glance at the bar-tender.

"So... I think I could take part. Not sure what you want me to do specifically but it would be nice to get them to give me money for basically doing some tricks and not having to steal it!" he says with a self-satisfied smile.

"And I thought your show was good. A bit too much jumping around but I assume thats your thing!" he says and smiles.

Zerter
2012-02-23, 08:25 AM
"Jumping strenghtens the bone is what my teacher used to tell me! I want you do basic stuff at first: fight in mock battles, come and push me off when I'm balancing on a pole. None of it hard, but all of it time sensitive. The audience's mood needs to be right. We'll have to work on our performance together."

Oh. I just read that the orange haired youth might have departed, I actually wanted to talk to him since he seemed interesting : D
I see if the orange haired youth is still here, if he is I'll introduce myself and ask him, "You seemed to enjoy the show, and if you don't mind me asking, I was actually wondering what exactly it was you liked about it. You seemed to be getting something different out of it than other people."

If he's not I'll wrap up my business here and see if I can still catch him outside somewhere.

Lets see, I made 19.3 gp with my performance. I owe 15% of that as fees. Which is 2,9 rounded up. That leaves me with 16,4 gp. Of that 16,4 gp I promised to donate about 14,8 to the favorite charity of the marque, to which I added 5 gp out of pocket.

That means:

I owe the guild and the city 2,9 gp.
I'm going to donate 19,8 gp to the Marque's favorite charity.

How do I pay the guild anyway? Is it a monthly thing, a yearly thing, or left to my own imagination?

Gather information: where does the Marquee live? (after I've talked to the orange haired kid)

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 09:55 AM
Anakin nods.

"I believe pushing you off the poles will work greatly. Slap-stick is what the crowd wants!" he says and smiles.

"But in any case boss... I am up for it for sure!"

The orange haired youth has just left the tavern so you may be able to catch him. If indeed you rush outside you see him turning into a close by alley.

To give you an idea, he looks like this:

As for the guild paying. Weekly or monthly is acceptable. They dont really have a way to know if your cheating them... until the moment that they do. In the sense that they wont audit every performance you give but if they see you havent paid them enough for weeks and suddenly you show up in fancy clothes with a cane with a diamond on top they can tell... similarly they may (or may not) send their agents from time to time to check...

Zerter
2012-02-23, 09:58 AM
I rush to catch the young man and introduce myself as Zerter Molitor, asking the question I posted above.

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 10:12 AM
You turn the corner only to see an empty alley.

-spot check please-

Zerter
2012-02-23, 10:15 AM
Spot for me, using the same ability I used on my last dance check: [roll0]
Spot for Dolf: [roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 10:59 AM
Nor you nor Dolf can see anyone down the alley but as you stare in suprise you hear a voice coming from just next to you from the shadows of the alley.

"Dont turn to look. May I know for what reason you are following me?" the voice says calmly with a -neutral tone- that seems practiced to be so blank one may not be able to recognise it if he heard it again.

Also forgot to add the picture of the youth you saw:

http://sitiosweb.com.mx/candy/img/antony003.gif

Zerter
2012-02-23, 01:58 PM
I don't move a muscle and instruct Dolf and Anakin to close their eyes (assuming Anakin is with me), "Yes you may! As you've seen I'm a performer, but I'm also an observer, and among the crowds I've seen the past few days your response to my performance struck me as the most interesting one. You seemed please with it, but like you were having your own inside joke. I thought you might be an interesting individual and I do treasure interesting individuals, so I wanted to talk to you. I would have approached you inside, but you left before I noticed."

"And I don't believe I was wrong! This hiding and approaching me business, very skillfully done. Don't worry about it, if you don't want me to approach you and you treasure secrecy, good for you! I'll forget I ever saw you. I don't have dark reasons to stalk you you know, I'm not much a fighter and don't like prisons enough to be a thief. I'm not even a real entertainer, I'm mostly trained in social skills. Just needed a job really and I don't like being bored, which I am very much not right now. If you want, disappear! If you do want to continue this conversation, you could do so 1-on-1 and adress me in a language other than common, neither the boy nor the raven speaks any and I am a bit of a linguist."

"All I really wanted to ask you, what did you enjoy about my performance?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 04:32 PM
The voice stays silent as you explain your reasoning and it then replies in elven.

"Ask you apprentice to return to the Flint. You can find him there later. The raven is free to stay just as long as it doesnt turn around and the same applies for you. Feel free to lean against the wall though if you are tired..." it says calmly.

"What is your name by the way?"

Zerter
2012-02-23, 04:37 PM
"Anakin, please go wait for me in The Flint. I'll be back later. Make sure your back is facing the nice gentleman before you open your eyes, don't look back and don't mention this conversation to anyone. Dolf, keep doing what you're doing."

"My name is Zerter Molitor. My apologies for not introducing myself properly!"

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 04:59 PM
"Dont worry about it Mr. Molitor. A pleasure to make your acquaintance even though I have to put you through all this. Actually if you will wait for just a second and I can make this easier..." a moment passes and the voice resumes.

"You may turn now." and if indeed you turn you see a generic looking human individual. Typical Aldhavenian characteristics look at you through clothes that are now diffrent, they are darker earthen hues that match well with the shadows of the alley. The eyes stay the same though and he smiles.

"So, the name is Darius, Darius Mortensen. A pleasure as I already said" he says and inclines his head. [roll0] ((can you roll me a sense motive please))

"The last name Molitor. I admit I may have heard it before... a family of the outskirts is it? One of the villages somewhere near Aldhaven belongs to some Molitor or other I think..."

Zerter
2012-02-23, 05:12 PM
"Ah, the Molitors have roots in several places and I know the village you are speaking of. Just me in Aldhaven though! A pleasure to meet you Darius Mortensen."

"I'm surprised myself, but I feel a bit at a loss for topics, that's not something that usually happens to me. I can tell you're a knowledgeable person though, in more way than one. I consider myself a bit of a generalist, having abilities in several areas. But I feel like you might have a wider grasp based on just what I've seen so far: the ability to disappear, control over your tone and body language, knowledge of hedge noble families, your new appearance show you know how to blend in as well! And of course you have good taste in performers."

Sense motive assisted by Raven: [roll0], but honestly, I was not buying the boy appearance at the point where he's suddenly appearing behind me and would not buy the name without any checks or changes being involved : D. Not that my character cares really!

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 05:38 PM
He smiles. You are pretty sure the name he gave is not the real one but it sounds plausible enough and practised enough to be a commonly used alias.

His skill in impresonation or at least in controlling his voice and mannerism is not at all comparable to yours as yours is basically your lifeblood. He is good but not near as good as you in these things yet his neutral appearance, calm tone and overall stance is also practiced.

"You asked what I liked about your performance. I liked how easy it is for you to be one person in one moment and another the next. So good that you could fool someone if you had also had a way to not be seen doing it. You are also well versed in important personas of the city it seems and you dont hesitate to use their appearance. That interests me for my own reasons. Would you be up for some more fun tests of your abilities? Ones that may cost you dearly if identified as an imposter but lucrative if succesful?"

Zerter
2012-02-23, 05:50 PM
"Yes, I am, I do enjoy challenges and fun. I'm willing to get involved to a point at least. I don't need to know the exact details of your business, but the amount of risks I'm willing to take is linked to the amount of trust developed between the two of us. Be assured however that I will not take risks that might cost me my life by sharing anything you share with me with anyone else."

Sense motive: [roll0] (not sure if you want me to roll myself), is he trustworthy?

Monodominant
2012-02-23, 06:28 PM
Yes for the interactions with this guy feel free to roll yourself on anything you dont find plausible.

"Very good. I cannot promise that working with me may not be risky. I can promise it would be lucrative. I cannot ask you to trust me or make a gesture that will make you trust me. I do want to test your abilities though as it is easy to do all you did when the audience is watching a staged performance and there is little anxiety or danger present and much harder when you are on the spot for something more significant... or maybe thats just me!" he says and smiles.

You cant really tell so far if he is trustworthy or not or at least your gut doesnt give any hints. What you do sense is that he is very confident in himself and every word and movement is intentional. You also have a vague feeling as if talking with a lion or other large predatory animal that has taken an interest in you and promised not to eat you during the time it talks with you. A certain restrained, tumultous power so to speak.

Zerter
2012-02-24, 04:53 AM
I try to remain neutral in body language and such, "Fair enough. Just know that I don't really do combat. Not that I havent received any training in the art of war, it's just not my way. I'm pretty good under pressure though, you saw me think on my feet before after I started mocking nobles and it's not like I ran away scared or made a wrong move during our little meeting!"

Monodominant
2012-02-24, 07:44 AM
"Actually I would say that running away scared if you insult the nobility or their status in the city is actually not a cowards reactions but a wise mans but I guess its your head..." he says and smiles again.

"Now you dont need to do any combat. If you are good it means noone will suspect and initiate combat and if you arent well lets say its something I am good at!" he says seriously.

"So Mr. Molitor. It was great meeting you. I would like to ask you that when the time comes and you receive a message that I require your services you come post haste. And to ensure that I can offer you a retainer so to speak!" and with this he tosses you a pouch that jiggles and seems filled with coin.

"Ah and no word about this to anyone. Now dont let me detain you any more..."

Zerter
2012-02-24, 07:50 AM
How much is in the pouch?

I nod and listen up to the point where he says his goodbyes. I hide the pouch and return to the Sad Flint, blocking all thoughts of the past meeting from my mind as much as possible in the now and in the future. I instruct Dolf to do the same.

If I run into Anakin I tell him (privately) that the previous encounter did not take place.

After that it's on with the business of the day and I start asking around for the area of residence of the marquee to whom I still owe a donation!

Gather information: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-24, 07:57 AM
There are 100 gold and 20 platinum in the pouch (all in all 300gp worth)

During your absence the Marquee has been upgraded!

He is now a Count. The name is Count Wolfhart Thelen of House Thelen!

Also to represent your previous and this Gather Info/Knowledge Local checks please read the below!

Gather Information DC20 or Knowledge (Local) DC20 or Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) DC15
House Thelen is a very minor house ruled by a minor noble. Count Wolfhart Thelen recently inherited the title and leadership of the house from his father after his father's recent death, much to Wolfhart's consternation. Up until last year, Wolfhart was an active adventurer out exploring the world and has found settling down to run a noble house to be less exciting than promised.

Gather Information DC30+ , Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) DC 25Wolfhart Thelen is a young man in his late twenties and still longs for adventure; however, he is honorable and responsible and has relegated himself to running his estate as it should be run. Though their holdings in the city are rather minimal, House Thelen is considerably wealthy. Their wealth comes from the extensive adventuring for which all members of their family are well known. It's fairly well known that Wolfhart is willing to fund fledgling adventurers if they seem promising

You learn also that House Thelen does have a house in the Noble's Quarter.

Zerter
2012-02-24, 08:05 AM
First of all I'm going to pick up my bow. I'll add some coins from the new pouch to my old coins to make a little bit above 50 gp and empty it completely at the counter (so only a few gp are left), implying to Anakin that we raised enough money through performance for me to pay for the bow without having to actually lie.

After that it is onwards to the Noble's Quarter! I finally have an excuse to try and get in.

If I read this I'm actually thinking about offering Count Wolfhart Thelen of House Thelen to help him run his house (not right away of course, but after I've gained his trust or so) so he has more time to adventure, as part of my already established background I wanted to run my own house but was recently denied the right to do so, might as well put those skills to use!

Monodominant
2012-02-24, 08:50 AM
Your bow is still there waiting for you and Anakin doesnt comment on your new found wealth. The florist smiles.

"The lady gasped when she saw them... the half-orc one I mean. The other one just raised an eyebrow and said they were interesting!" he says and smiles at you happily.

Assuming you make your way towards the gate that leads to the Noble's Quarter you find yourself before a pair of powerful-looking guards in impeccable crimson uniforms.

"Halt! What is your business here citizen." asks the younger of the two.

Zerter
2012-02-24, 09:22 AM
Note, I dress up in Molitor noble gear before going to the Quarter

"Greetings! I have business with Count Wolfhart Thelen of House Thelen. I'm new to the Quarter I'm afraid and not entirely sure what the protocol is. I'm a member of a noble family, but not one that has roots in Aldhaven and have the neccesary documentation to support this [assuming I actually posses that kind of documentation]. I believe in this city we are charmingly reffered to as hedge nobles. I am pretty sure the count would be most eager to see me, and seeing as I have noble blood running through my veins this quarter seems open to me. But I will obey protocol however if you would be kind enough to inform me what it is."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-24, 09:41 AM
The guards first inspect your documents before talking again. You see that they take a more professional look seeing that your words are true.

"Well sir, pardon me saying but you do not have sufficient documents to enter the Quarter despite your heritage. The Quarter is open to those that hold the rank of Baron and above or have been given permission by a Count or above. And by permission I dont mean a verbal allowance but rather a signed document bearing said Counts official seal and arcane mark..." the guard does seem somewhat in a difficult position for denying you but his words are firm.

"Still, sire, many and more servants of the nobility pass through us and should you wish to have a message delivered to one of his household we shall facilitate this for you... Generally such messages sent from common men or women never reach the hands of those for whom they are intended as their seneschals ignore them from those baseborn but I'd wager your message may indeed reach my Lord Counts hands..."

And while we are at it here are the nobility ranks in Aldhaven:

King
Archduke
Prince/Princess
Duke/Duchess
Marquis/Marquise
Count/Countess/Earl
Viscount/Viscountess
Baron/Baroness
Knight/Dame

Zerter
2012-02-24, 10:10 AM
I nod and listen (I seem to do that a lot!), "Ah! I understand, thanks for the information. I suspected as much to be honest, but I wanted to see this part of the city for myself even if is just the gate." [laughs out loud]

"I shall draft a letter and have my page bring it over. I'm sure the count will reply in a timely manner, thanks again and goodbye." I try to look as dignified as possible as I'm being rejected.

Afterwards I go home for dinner. After dinner I draft a letter saying:

"Dear Count Wolfhart Thelen of House Thelen,

My name is Zerter Molitor and I am a great admirer of your work with adventurers. As a result of this admiration I would like to donate 20 gold pieces to your favorite charity. Would you be kind enough to let me know what that cause would be?

Sincerely,

Zerter Molitor"

Signed with the seal of my house etc. and knowledge (nobility & royalty) [roll0] for any information I can use to make the letter appear better.

I have Anakin drop off the letter right away. In his absence I give Bertha 200 gp to spend on household items (95), her personal salary (5) as well as to pay the rent (100).

Monodominant
2012-02-24, 10:36 AM
Hehe good to see that your new benefactor helped you out with all your financial uncertainties.

Can you roll a d100 for me please?

The guard nods and thanks you for your understanding as you depart.

You know that you should address a count as "My Lord". The same applies for writting and as such you know that you should fit that one somewhere in the letter.

Bertha raises an eyebrow.

"You seem to have done a full days work... no honest work pays for that kind of cash though young master..." she says with a hint of repproach in her voice.

Zerter
2012-02-24, 10:42 AM
I start serious for the first part and smile for the second. "It's a retainer for a future performance. As for honest... I thought you knew I was a noble."

[roll0] yeah, I like my new benefactor so far, do I do realise I've commited to something that could cost me my life. In-character the logic is that I need a jump start in terms of resources to get my business started, get connected in the city etc. and this could very well be it. I don't intend to be doing this kind of stuff forever however, I do want to stay connected with the underground, but more in an information broker kind of way. I have actually considered of simply selling gather information checks so to speak since I'm so much better at them than anyone else.

Monodominant
2012-02-24, 11:00 AM
She laughs.

"Ah master Zerter! You always know how to make me laugh!" she says as she goes to prepare your evening meal.

Anakin also returns a while later his mission accomplished.

Zerter
2012-02-24, 11:08 AM
O yeah, and of course a return adress should be included in the letter!

Unless something happens I want to call it a night. I want to get up early tomorrow and head for the temple of Olidammara to donate a bottle of wine as a form of gratitude to the smiling rogue for my newfound employment.

Zerter
2012-02-24, 11:11 AM
ninja-bump since it dosent seem to bump!

Monodominant
2012-02-25, 05:31 AM
Your night passes calmly and in the morning after a hearty breakfast you set out for the temple.

You arrive there without any problems, other than a preacher of Tiamat insisting in talking to you about the FiveFold Lady.

Zerter
2012-02-25, 05:34 AM
I'm going to ignore that plot hook, intriguing as it sounds, donate the bottle of wine and send out a prayer to Olidammara. Unless anything interesting happens I'll go to the Sad Flint to perform ahead of my meeting with Two-Thumbs later today.

Monodominant
2012-02-25, 08:33 AM
The plot hook cries and pleads for attention but you ignore it all the same. The temple accepts your offering and the cleric makes a series of movements assuring you that will bring you good luck.

The Sad Flint is not as full as last night, seeing as its still early, but there are still more than enough clients sitting around, eating, drinking and chatting. You also see a young half-elf stepping through the guarded double doors as you come in.

Zerter
2012-02-25, 05:50 PM
Okay, new show! This time we start in the kitchen and I have Anakin chase me throwing knifes (in a way that they end up on stage) looking like someone that would work in a kitchen (with a kitchen short and hat). Since he's not proficient and not trying to hit me, I'm gonna say he hits me on a 20 and there's a mishap on a 1 which you can decide and I try to fix first if it's really bad (it are standard kitchen knives, not really sharp combat ones, I hope all of this is alright). If he hits me I'll hide the wound and the pain and work through it.

After he's finished throwing five, I gather them and swear revenge, but instead of throwing them back I turn into a jester and start juggling them singing a song and tumbling.

'O why did I piss off the kitchen boy? He has knives and prepares my food!'
'O why did I make him mad? Do I really think I'm all that?'
'O why did I have to make fun of him? My head is going through a spin!'

Since my singing is probably terrible, I have Anakin come at me with a pie which he tries to hit me in the face with while saying I should stop singing and which I catch in the face on purpose if neccesary (going to say that's a untrained touch attack).

After that I follow him in a furious way changing into the preacher of Tiamat I saw before, telling him I will feed pieces of him to all five heads of the FiveFold Lady. I stumble on chairs and tables and such on purpose (tripping in hilarious ways) making rolls, tumbles and spins and so to keep on moving.

Eventually I chase him out of the tavern and start juggling again singing terrible once again.

'I got that boy nice and good, he knows who is the boss of the hood.'
'He won't be back I swear, his heart is filled with fear.'
'I won I won I won, my joy is as my song: very long.'

As I sing this new song Anakin sneakily approaches me sneakily with another pie, I dodge it at the last minute however and drop everything to point at him and declare my victory. I change into a heavily muscled man and start flexing to show how great I am while doing this. As I am making my cheer Dolf comes out of nowhere to drop another pie. I get mad and chase him as well, leaving the tavern in the process and ending the show (though obviously Anakin is gonna collect the dough!).

[roll0] - anakin knife throw
[roll1] - anakin knife throw
[roll2] - anakin knife throw
[roll3] - anakin knife throw
[roll4] - anakin knife throw
[roll5] - juggling knifes
[roll6] - tumbling while juggling
[roll7] - untrained singing
[roll8] - Anakin pie attack
[roll9] - Tumbles while chasing Anakin
[roll10] - Anakin pie attack which I try to dodge (which he knows)
[roll11] - Juggling after failed pie attack
[roll12] - singing after failed pie attack
[roll13] - Dolf pie touch attack

Zerter
2012-02-25, 06:02 PM
Note, I meant me looking like I work in the kitchen. Also obviously the songs are longer than three lines, it was just an example of the type of song I'm singing.

Monodominant
2012-02-26, 05:49 AM
The first thing you realise is that Anakin IS actually fairly profficient with the dagger and even decent with it. The realisation comes when he takes your "kitchen staff" hat of and then pins your sleeve against the wooden beam of the door.

Still this improvisation generates laughter. The crowd is less inebriated than last time but you touch less sensitive subjects today and provide relaxed fun, singing and some slapstick with the pies. You all get hearty applause and whistling.

Like last time there are those patrons, withdrawn to corner tables, that dont like the noise and comedy or the loud atmosphere that your show creates meaning they complain or grumble. But luckily they are the minority.

Anakin also finishes the show by passing around with the hat and collecting [roll0] gold and [roll1] silver.

The Half-Giant also smiles at a couple of points and frowns when he sees you departing with pie on the floor but he softens up when Anakin returns to clean it.

Zerter
2012-02-26, 06:15 AM
I wait for Anakin to return and assume my normal form, "Good Job Anakin! If we're ever in a fight at least it's good to know one of us will know how to handle himself." [laughs out loud]

I go to where it is we've agreed to meet Two-Thumbs and wait for him there, instructing Anakin on the proper way to show body language and such when throwing a pie and running away after have done so.

Monodominant
2012-02-26, 02:57 PM
Anakin listens intently and doesnt hide a smile when you praise his blade skill.

You meet with TwoThumbs at the not so precisely defined barrier that separates Midtown from Old Town.

"Hello then!" he says and smiles as he sees the three of you approach.

"What news of your ventures? Any luck finding a place to perform and has Aldhaven shown you its warm touch now that you are out of the box?"

Zerter
2012-02-26, 03:02 PM
I was actually intending to go back for a second performance later today, is that alright or can I only perform for dinero once a day?
"Greetings Mister Two-Thumbs! Aldhaven has indeed given me a loving embrace. You are looking at the new performing group of the Sad Flint! We work there every other day, so we still have plenty of time to look for other gigs, enjoy the social life of this city and explore it with you."

Monodominant
2012-02-26, 03:19 PM
Yes you can! Just try not to burn your creativity too fast :D

He seems suprised.

"Really? The Sad Flint! Well thats great news! I can say I know a few that tried to get it going there but they were chewed out before lond!" he says and shrugs.

"In any case! Good luck with that and I will be sure to drop by some time and see the show then! So, for today I come to you with 2 options! The Fancy Pony, which is a small tavern and bath-house and the Old Weavers Inn which I had mentioned already!"

Zerter
2012-02-26, 03:27 PM
Well... I'll try, but at some point I might develop something of a routine : D. Also, I don't wanna spend three posts preparing every time, like doing gather informations checks to get a sense of the audience etc. which is really something that personalizes a performance.

"They both sound very interesting. But I've gotta go with the Old Weavers inn! The special clientiele stuff has had me wondering what kind of place it is."

Monodominant
2012-02-26, 04:51 PM
"Very well. The Weaver it is then... just keep in mind that I also have been 2-3 times there and I dont really know anyone important enough to get us in through the line..." and with that you take off.

The building is actually a large three level establishment that looks really unassuming from the outside.

As you approach you do indeed see a que of a dozen people waiting. There are two half-elf... doormen outside and they seem to be scanning the small crowd. Every now and then after someone exits the Inn they will allow a group to go in.

Zerter
2012-02-26, 05:16 PM
I consider changing into someone important for a moment, but realise that that could get me in a bunch of trouble.

Instead I'm going to work on entertaining the crowd while waiting (but in a way that's obvious we're waiting, not in a way that says 'hey, we're actually just here to entertain the crowd.').

I start by sneezing and changing into a colour on every sneeze. First I turn blue and take a step backwards. Than I turn yellow and take a step backwards. Than I turn green and take a step backwards. Than I turn pink and take a step backwards. Than I turn orange and take a step backwards.

As I've changed into orange I say, "Oh no! Not orange! Quick, I need to keep my arms moving in an agile way and exerting force at the same time or I'll explode! Give me small objects to juggle (I'll start with some rocks and have Anakin add some other stuff, I'll juggle them really high)."

And I start juggling like a madman! If I drop something I'll turn white and say, "Oh no! That's only one stage away from red!" I'll continue juggling for a while before turning red, at the moment that I turn red I'll use my giant strength to juggle some absurdly big objects (that I can obviously still juggle though) while looking extremely panicked.

After that I'll work my way back in the color scheme, going orange, pink, green, yellow and finally blue again. At the point where I'm blue I'll drop the big objects in seeming exhaustion and start tumbling in a crazed way saying, "Explosion be gone! Explosion be gone!" After the joke has run its course (well, we might very well be long past that point) I'll turn normal again and in a exxagarated way remove the sweat from my forehead saying, "Man, I hate it when that happens!"

Sleight of hand for small objects: [roll0]
Sleight of hand for bigger objects: [roll1]
Tumbling: [roll2]

Working on some new material : D

Monodominant
2012-02-26, 05:25 PM
The people that are waiting enjoy the show and the same goes for Twothumbs. He joins with Anakin into throwing things for you to juggle and pumps up the crowd.

Overall you make the waiting experience tolerable and an experience in itself. It takes around 40 minutes of waiting before you end up first in the queue.

The bored half-elf bouncer smiles at you and Two-thumbs and checks out a list.

"Names?" he asks.

Two-thumbs gives his name and the bouncer shakes his head.

"Sorry, aint got that one here and we are fully booked, unless if you funny friend here is on my list..." he says and turns to you.

Zerter
2012-02-26, 05:33 PM
What is TwoThumbs name?

"My name is Zerter Molitor of house Molitor, journeyman of the Guild of Artists and Performers and the main performer of the Sad Flint. And I know that none of that sounds that impressive, but it really is! My interest in your fine establishment has been peaked and as a businessman, entertainer and liker of fine and interesting things in general I think it would be to our mutual benefit if you would let me in. Also, (I do that thing that magicians in real life do with kids), is that a platinum piece behind your ear?"

diplomacy: [roll0]
sleight of hand: [roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-26, 06:17 PM
Freddy Mercury Irkins

Everything but the last part of your speech leaves the half-elf bored. It seems he has heard it all before and just looks at you with a tired annoyed look...

And then you mention the platinum and he smiles.

"Well if there are actually 2 platinum coins behind my ear, since my colleague here probably forgot where he hid his, then I guess I can short out the missing paper that had your name in it..." he says motioning towards the other bouncer.

Zerter
2012-02-27, 04:49 AM
"Well, it would be the world's greatest coincidence. I mean, one ear having a platinum piece, but two? You know what, let me check his ear first... Wow, yes! This is amazing, I don't know why you guys have to work it all!"

sleight of hand [roll0]

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 05:43 AM
The half elf smiles.

"Well I believe that settles it. Just realised I do remember you Mr. Molitor!" he says and opens the door for you. There is a slight darker shade on the door as if there is some kind of force effect on the door and you hear nothing from inside.

Zerter
2012-02-27, 06:07 AM
"Ah well, in that case I'm sure you'll remember that Mr. Molitor always has an entourage! Lets go guys, a world of mysteries awaits!"

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 06:49 AM
As you enter you are assaulted by sound.

This is no ordinary tavern. You assume that something magical is going on, or at least some form of mixture of tech and magic as the amount of sound inside could not be expected based on what you heard outside.

At the center of the inn there is a stage where there are three musicians blasting loud, joyful music. There is a man with a violin, a woman with a guitar and younger boy with what looks like some form of intricate trumpet.

The place itself is on purpose kept relatively dark but there are small globes of light hovering above each table managing to illuminate that particular area without shedding too much light.

There are approximately a dozen tables set around the center stage, all full right now, and you also see that there seem to be seperate boxed tables at the back of the inn with bead curtains blocking the view. These seem to be more well-lit though the curtain covers the presence or absence of people there. You also notice that there appear to be six waitresses serving this public area while two more are waiting at the area of the private booths. They are all dressed in a very alluring and revealing fashion though not vulgar.

You see a large bar on the right side and numerous patrons sitting there and there are two or three bar stools unoccupied right now. The bar tender also draws your attention as he is a rarely seen race in these parts of the world, a bauriar. To the back and to the right you see a staircase leading upstairs and another two bouncers sitting in front of it. Generally you can easily spot that there additional bouncers, one in each corner of the room.

Zerter
2012-02-27, 06:56 AM
I take everything into me and than adress my companions. "Mister Two-Thumbs, you have been here before, why don't you take the lead?"

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 07:12 AM
Your companion heads towards the bar and sits accross the bauriar leaving a couple of spots for you and Anakin.

The bauriar moves over to the two of you and looks down on you.

"Gday gents. What can I get you?" he asks with a very particular accent.

"Its my friends first time here! So he would like to have something with a real kick in it!" he says and grins "Oh and I will have a Plutonian Draught with extra ice!"

The bartender turns to you and smiles.

"Very well! I guess for the gentleman it will be a Styx Dragon Bile guaranteed to knock your socks off darling its sweet, heavy and spicy!!!!"

Zerter
2012-02-27, 10:16 AM
If I know it's a Bauriar, do I know it's from Ysgard?

I try the drink. "Thanks! Can you also get the boy something interesting though non-alcoholic? And If you don't mind me asking, I don't believe your species is native to this plane. What brings you to Aldhaven?"

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 10:22 AM
That will be a Knowledge: The Planes!

Also Fortitude save after tasting the drink.

Zerter
2012-02-27, 10:24 AM
Untrained knowledge check: [roll0]
Fortitude: [roll1]

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 10:39 AM
The first sip goes down. And then he feels it kick in. Its as if the moment the drink touches his tongue it did not register nothing... as if the nerves forgot to send the signal until later on.

The drink is one of the best he has tasted, one of the strongest he has tasted and yet amazingly good. Subsequent sips are as good but dont make him want to cut his tongue and stomach out.

The bauriar looks at you and laughs.

And you realise you dont really remember how you got here or what exactly happened in the past few moments.

" Still got your teeth and eyes I see... glad they didnt explode! That will be 10 gold by the way" he says sobering you up.

"Oh and dont worry about the disorientation... take a few moments and it will all come back to you! You can ask me again then!"

Indeed a couple of minutes later, and after some questions from Two-thumbs who is laughing like a hyena, you recall where you are and why you are here.

Zerter
2012-02-27, 10:46 AM
Two-Thumbs is sticking me with the bill? Nice! I could go broke in here : [
I pay the 10 gp after I believe everyone. "That was quite the experience, something which I will treasure forever. I also treasure my sanity however, so if you don't mind I will not repeat it right now."

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 11:00 AM
He did say that he will guide you through the city but you are paying for it. Its only fair, he spends his time you spend your money!

"Glad to hear your enthusiasm." says the bauriar with a smile "but dont worry! The bite of the Styx is only at the start of such quantities. You should be okay unless if someone had me fill your cup with it in which case sanity, colors or even what you are would be pointless questions for you!"

"Now before you took your sip you asked me a question. So to answer it no I am not from around here. But lets say I was offered a job due to my exquisite skills!" he says and smiles.

"Aldhaven is a city full of opportunities. Speaking of which, if you want I may have a spare private room and can throw in the bath for free seeing as you can tough out the Styx Dragon Bile" he says and you see the glint in his eyes.

Its not hard to expect that if getting in here costs you 2 platinum and a fancy drink is 10 gold then the room prices will be similarly astronomical... ((by the way it was 7 gold for your drink and 3 for Two-thumbses)).

Zerter
2012-02-27, 11:11 AM
That does sound fair : D

"Well, I'd be interested in that. There's a limit on how much I can spend though which depends on how long my pouch will last and we still have a big day ahead of us. So I'd like to know what the price ranges are before signing off on anything."

Monodominant
2012-02-27, 03:52 PM
He shrugs.

"Oh money... how can you put a price on pleasure? Believe me friend this is not an offer I make to everyone! We generally only allow members access to the private rooms! I am making an exception cause you didnt pass out after drinking the Styx Dragon Bile which doesnt happen often! So think about it... sure it may cost a pretty penny but whats money before an eternity of memories!" he says and grins.

Zerter
2012-02-27, 06:37 PM
"Oh well, I guess you only live once, you have my interest sir! Lets go for it."

Monodominant
2012-02-28, 04:47 AM
Damn my NPC bluffed/proffession salesmaned you real well!

He smiles.

"Well, you tell me what you can afford and I will set it up for you! Keep in mind that Aldhaven is a small city so if you want to really let your hair down and plunge deep in debauchery and joy I can put it on your tab!" he says and smiles.

Two-thumbs shrugs.

"I have never actually been in the private rooms but I hear they are good fun... never ever heard someone dissatisfied even but they are pricy!"

Zerter
2012-02-28, 08:02 AM
My reasoning is that I've already indicated I'm on a limited budget so if I get charged 500, well... they could'nt expect me to pay right away. Also if they screw me over, I have a long memory and assuming I survive Aldhaven to get in a position of power: I shall my revenge :smallwink:

I do actually feel a little bit guilty in real life for spending money from a retainer on stuff like this without having actually earned it (yet).

"Well, I'm getting the general sense that this might not be quite enough, but I have 50 gp I'm willing to spend right now. The rest is reserved for the rest of the day."

Monodominant
2012-02-28, 04:19 PM
The bauriar grins.

"Splendid. Lets just say for now we will take the 50 for now and should you desire more services we can arrange later payments!" he explains accepting your payment and motioning to one of the serving women to come over.

When she does he introduces you to her.

"Tasha this is Mr Molitor, or Zerter if he is okay with that. He will have a taste of the upstairs rooms. Can you take him to 211? I think its free and it will be a good place to start!"

The girl bows her head and offers you her hand.

Zerter
2012-02-29, 03:44 AM
I take her hand and smile. "Zerter will be alright, pleasure to make your aquintance Tasha."

This might be a good time to point out I have +7 on my charisma effectively.

Monodominant
2012-02-29, 04:00 AM
"I assure you the pleasure is all mine for now!" she says and smiles slyly

You are led upstairs, and at first the place seems very normal and average.

As such it takes some effort for you not to look in awe at the second floor of the establishment.

You pass through a huge open area with thick carpets and large pillows. Men and women are in discussion while inhaling some short of fumes from braziers set around the room. Catching a whif of those makes your head spin as the heavy aroma of the substance assaults your senses and ties in with the sweet aftertaste of your drink.

As you pass through the center of the room where a larger -indoor- fountain is located filled with multicolored fish of different sizes the girl at your arm smiles trying to see if you are impressed yet.

You arrive at the other end of the room at a large double door, once again guarded by two men, and are escorted inside. Here things are simpler, there are doors left and right made from heavy oak with numbers on them. There are small couches in this area and you see men and women who may be bodyguards of the patrons inside waiting here. Tasha opens the door for the room with the number 211.

"After you sire..." she says with a smile.

Zerter
2012-02-29, 04:50 AM
This might also be a good time to point out that part of my backstory is that I blew through my family's fortune partying and such and that I'm basically just continuing a bad habit here : [

I try to be pleasant towards Tasha and appreciative and complementive towards what I see, but without seeming all that impressed.

"What is that aroma?" I ask as it penetrates my senses.

As we arrive by the door I smile and say, "Well. Normally I'm the one keeping doors open for the ladies. But I do appreciate a companionship that is'nt afraid to take charge." As I go in.

Knowledge local, knowledge nobility [roll0], [roll1] if I recognize anyone

Monodominant
2012-02-29, 07:33 AM
You recognise some individuals that you may have seen in parties of high society that you had attended in your past though noone too powerful or with much more status than yourself.

You also notice one of the two women you saw in the temple of Olidammara.

Tasha smiles and explains that it is a specially treated rose to enhance ones senses without causing addiction.

She also smiles when you make your comment about brave companionship.

The room is as heavily decorated as the hall you passed.

There are no windows but there are heavy drapes covering the walls, matching the thick carpets in which your feet almost sink in. The ceiling is covered with light "scarfs" depicting geometric shapes, and they almost seem to be moving, as a light coming from above moves lazily around the room.

Overall the lighting is dimmed, creating a perfect atmosphere but you can see around the room without problems.

A large comfortable looking couch is set at the middle of the room and surrounded by large floor pillows and armchairs. There is a bed in a small alchove in one corner of the room in thick, bright covers.

Lastly there is a table set next to the couch that currently holds an unopened bottle of wine and two chilled glasses and a platter of meats and cheeses.

The waitress stays by the door and smiles.

"Would you require something additional from the kitchens or the cellars sir?"

Zerter
2012-02-29, 07:41 AM
I smile back, "Ah no, this seems quite adequate for now, thank you. A lovely room by the way. I have an interest in light decoration and you can really tell that there was attention to detail paid in this one."

Finding out about this place really raises the bar on creating the biggest entertainment establishment in Aldhaven : D

Monodominant
2012-02-29, 08:38 AM
Have you considered maybe trying to -buy- a place that already exists and change it to fit your needs?

Also... if you think this is the impressive part you have a very low opinion of the 50 gold you just paid and the other 50 you will be asked to cover when all this is done...

The woman fills a glass of wine for you and then departs indicating you should sit on the couch and enjoy the wine and the food.

"Someone will be with you shortly" she says enigmatically before leaving the room and closing the door behind her.

The moment you sit on the couch the room lights dim further and a pleasant, soft music starts playing from all around. There are words along with the music but they are so soft that the result is more like a melody than actual words that you can make out.

Similarly the walls of the room seem to warp to give the impression that you are in an open tent, with all the carpets and fineries of the room, but in the middle of a beautiful meadow during a moonlit night.

You can even feel a slight breeze refreshing the environment of the... "tent" and even the candles around it seem to flicker with the light wind.

You can off course attempt to disbelieve of any of the above effects since you know you are in an indoor room but if you do they... well... stop.

Zerter
2012-02-29, 08:44 AM
Actually I have given buying in quite some thought, I'm pretty sure I could get 1 or 2 major investors on board as well, already have a pretty solid plan in mind. Also, obviously I'm impressed at what I can get for 50 gp, I'm aware IC and OOC that there is a much higher standard so I'm making a judgement call based on what I extrapolate the highest standard to be.

Doing what I'm told I go sit on a couch and try the wine, taking the place in and enjoying a moment of rest.

Monodominant
2012-02-29, 10:07 AM
Well trying to buy this particular place would be a quest in itself for various reasons but hey I hope you are enjoying your story so far and you are currently my 2nd non combat based PC so I am also enjoying it!

The wine is strong and sweet and it is a perfect match for the types of meat and cheese on the platter. You are relaxing in this midsummer night meadow environment when you hear a just audible sound as the door opens and you see a young woman of immense beauty enter the room clad in flowing garments that excite the imagination without revealing much.

"Dearest, I am Aliona and I am here to serve you this fine evening... may I ask what service would please you? I am a versed conversation partner, can dance, sing and provide with 7 point massages and I am also adept at chess and regicide... the game I mean" she says and grins.

Zerter
2012-02-29, 10:19 AM
Yes, I am! I can't do much in this particular place except sit back, take it in and let it happen to me. So there are'nt many three paragraph replies, but I do enjoy it. I'm quite happy to be playing a non-combat PC, I was not that familiar with Aldhaven before and obviously am no expert now, but it seems to me you can't blast your way to the top anyway. Out of curiousity, is the other non-combat PC is a shop owner of some kind or more similiar to me? I'm not entirely sure how many PCs there are in total, but a lot of them seem to be running shops : D

"Ah, I'm afraid singing and dancing is not for me, not that I don't enjoy it but I see and do it all day anyway. A game of the mind seems more up my alley, and maybe a massage later to put some relaxation in my overextended muscles - one does get tired of breaking iron bars all day. Would you care to join me in a game of chess and lets have some conversation while playing? Don't be afraid to show your best, my ego needs no protection and a powerful mind only enhances a powerful body."

Untrained knowledge chess check: [roll0]