PDA

View Full Version : Challenge for the Playground

Zanfire
2012-02-03, 07:58 PM
Ok. So I'm AFB & but this idea just hit me & I can't get it out of my head, sooo I'm posing it to the Playground as a challenge. My apologies if this has been done before.

The challenge is to create a single pre-epic character capable of casting 9 th level spells as a wizard, 9 th level spells as a cleric and manifesting 9 th level powers as a psion.

Namfuak
2012-02-03, 08:15 PM
I know there's a build that does that by using Beholder Mage tomfoolery, but I don't have the link on me.

motoko's ghost
2012-02-03, 08:45 PM
It could also be done with illithid savant's steal class ability power.

gkathellar
2012-02-03, 08:55 PM
The challenge is to create a single pre-epic character capable of casting 9 th level spells as a wizard, 9 th level spells as a cleric and manifesting 9 th level powers as a psion.

It's easy enough to get a single character that can cast 9th-level wizard, cleric and psion spells/powers — (Versatile Spellcaster exploits are the simplest method) but getting 9th-level casting as each is more complicated.

kardar233
2012-02-03, 09:11 PM
As a base, you can use Loredrake Spellhoarding Riddled Ultimate Magus shenanigans to get 17th-level Wizard casting by level 11.

Zanfire
2012-02-03, 09:28 PM
I've been giving it some thought in my head and I think I've gotten access to 9th lv wizard and cleric spells by lv 17, but still need another 9 or 11 manifested levels. Again I'm AFB so I'm not sure if it really works or what one of the PrCs is called. I think it's along the lines of the spellhoarding Loredrake green/black/white Dragonspawn Dragonwrought greater draconic rite desert Kobold sorcerer, dragonblooded substitution cleric, erudite, divine cerebremancer & the PrC I can't name off the top of my head.

gkathellar
2012-02-03, 09:40 PM
As a base, you can use Loredrake Spellhoarding Riddled Ultimate Magus shenanigans to get 17th-level Wizard casting by level 11.

If you're using the trick I think you are, this doesn't actually work. Ultimate Magus can't advance one class twice like that, because a prepared casting class that has limited spontaneous casting still doesn't count as a spontaneous casting class, and vice versa.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-03, 09:59 PM
Hatchling Phaerim, Psion 10/ Ur-Priest 2/ Psychic Theurge 8. Phaerims get Sorcerer spellcasting capability equal to their HD, regardless of class or racial.

If you're using the trick I think you are, this doesn't actually work. Ultimate Magus can't advance one class twice like that, because a prepared casting class that has limited spontaneous casting still doesn't count as a spontaneous casting class, and vice versa.

He mentioned Spellhoarding, which converts your Sorcerer spellcasting ability to Wizard casting of equal level. That means with Loredrake a Sorcerer 1/ Wizard 4/ UM 6 has a combined spellcasting capability in Sorcerer + Wizard of 17. Since the Sorcerer contribution to that number gets converted to Wizard, it actually does work as he said it does. It actually goes to 18th with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage.

Zanfire
2012-02-04, 12:48 AM
Where is the Hatchling Phaerim from?

gkathellar
2012-02-04, 01:15 AM
He mentioned Spellhoarding, which converts your Sorcerer spellcasting ability to Wizard casting of equal level. That means with Loredrake a Sorcerer 1/ Wizard 4/ UM 6 has a combined spellcasting capability in Sorcerer + Wizard of 17. Since the Sorcerer contribution to that number gets converted to Wizard, it actually does work as he said it does. It actually goes to 18th with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage.

Holy wow that is a sweet TO trick.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-04, 01:26 AM
Where is the Hatchling Phaerim from?

Monsters of Faerun originally, but that only contained a single age category. The PGtF Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a) gives a 3.5 update to all the 3.0 FR monsters, including a complete entry for the Phaerim at all age categories on the last few pages.

Alleran
2012-02-04, 02:57 AM
It could also be done with illithid savant's steal class ability power.
That's the easy way out, though. Munch on the brain of a 17th level wizard, 17th level cleric and 17th level Psion. Done. Though you can also do the brain-munch trick with the Consume Identity power of a Greater Doppelganger, I believe.