PDA

View Full Version : The islands of the elements

stinger201
2012-02-03, 08:03 PM
A long time ago there where the 5 elemental gods, Wind, Water, Earth, Fire, and Time. They where peaceful and all was right on the island of all elements. Then mother nature gave Time a weapon so powerful that it would be able to kill anyone one with a single blow. With this new found weapon he used it and killed thousands of dragons, golems, titans, sphinxes, and hydras. These the children of the other elements. The other 4 gods became so enraged that they banished Time. They where so enraged that they ripped the island of elements into the elemental islands. Each god took their children and went to their own island and placed a barrier around the island of time. Anyone that would try to leave would be instantly engulfed in all 4 elements. As this happened many of the ancient beasts that Time killed began to assault the land of time. To protect himself Time put a barrier around his island that anyone where to enter they would be aged until death.

Thousands of years later Humans and other races seemed to find the islands of the elements but not much was left of the ancient races. There where few left and they hid in fear of the new invaders to these lands. As each god saw this then they spoke to some of them and told them the history of the lands. The islands have had a few wars and disputes but they all fear the lands of time. What people fear they want to destroy. Many have tried to enter and have died on the shores of time.

It is a cool, cloudy morning in the small shipping town of gates crest, in the land of water. There are few buildings but the basics. The town has been moving about since dawn loading a large ship to trade with the nation of wind. the population of the town is only a couple hundred. The town has been naturally barricaded in surrounded by low mountains that have posted look outs and dotted with infinitely deep caves and the harbor on the other side. To the north there is the forest of water elementals, very dangerous place to go, then to the west there is the low plains that go to farms and the delta. To the south out into the sea there is the holy islands.

tarsusc81
2012-02-05, 11:39 PM
Willa glides up the street from the docks; her tree-like form draws more than a few glances as her mind wanders to other concerns. Gates Crest. It's a small town, but sometimes towns like this are the most fruitful with the diverse trading crowds that pass through.

The reality of her journey has been wearying compared with the anticipation. It's hard to believe she's as far away from home as the Water continent. The tales of disappearances and the shadowy sect of mages behind them have consistently led here. She'll ply her trade, loosen tongues with drink and song, and see where the local rumors lead her, as she's done in so many towns. Tavern crowds are usually appreciative of a good minstrel, and often more than happy to engage in some gossip with one. If her labors turn up nothing, she'll set off tomorrow for a bigger city further inland.

Willa pauses outside a well-kept tavern, satisfied with the mild bustle she hears inside, and takes a moment of effort to shift fully to her humanoid nymph form. She enters, drawing new stares from the customers, now for entirely different reasons. A rapt audience is good. She approaches the proprietor, exchanges a few pleasantries, orders a drink. After a few minutes she crosses the room to find a comfortable corner, produces her lyre, and begins to build an audience with a smooth, lyrical tune.

Emongnome777
2012-02-06, 09:16 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn hands a few coins to the farmer and waves goodbye as he heads further into Gates Edge. He was travelling on foot through the farmlands when he managed to hitch a ride with a farmer bringing in some crops for the market.

This looks like a good town to hang out for a while. Too small to support a thieves' guild, even with all the commerce. The merchants would set sail for another port the moment they thought that Gate's Edge wasn't safe for their cargo. No, I expect this place to have a solid port security force.

Kel'Ryn walked around town for an hour, taking note of the features and layout of the quaint town. Thirsty from the walk, he headed into the first tavern he saw. It was a decent establishment (much better than the ones at the port, no doubt). He first notices the soothing melody being played by the lovely creature in the corner, taking the edge off the hard day of walking and riding a rough wagon. Strolling to the bar, he steps up on a barstool (or else he wouldn't be seen) and asks, "one beer, if you would kind sir", and hands over the necessary coins.

Dramesh
2012-02-06, 10:52 AM
On the side of the road, a black hooded man was walking silently. Under the cape where a black set of leather armor and some weapons made for killing. They were use only days ago, when he finally caught up with his target and end his life. Now he was heading to Gates Crest to get out of the region, but before that he earned a brief pause in a tavern to eat and drink.

As he enter the town, he lower his hood to reveal white hair, he was only 22 years old but was born with that color. Unusual for his age, he sometimes believe that his hair color was to make his job harder.

After a walk into town, he enter a tavern. The first thing he notice was the beauty playing in the corner of the tavern. After a quick look of the room, he walk to the counter and call a hot meal and a beer. Eating, he listen to the music.

Lord Noble
2012-02-06, 09:43 PM
Carrin ran from the caravan, his caravan. He ran for days even hiding or guarding other caravans, he ran all the way to the some water continent town of no name worth mentioning , just another stop along the path. He now sits in a small tavern gazing about, and listening to the beautiful music he is compelled to put his own skills in to use. The small hafling jumped on to a table and smiled at the gnome who was the only one close to his size. He then exclaimed in his loudest voice
Come one come all, all of thee who enjoy tricks and subtleties, come and see things with me that you have never seen before come and see ENTERTAINMENT putting special emphasis on the last word
Carrin then began to juggle in intricate patters, under the legs over the head, then out of thin air cam three balls these ones all on fire, up up down they went. Adding ball after ball until he was juggling 10 balls at once all on fire. Finally in an exploding of purple sparks all of balls vanished.
He smiled his jolly smile buy me drink and I'll show you more

Electronic
2012-02-07, 01:46 AM
Derik, Human Swordmage

Derik sat in a tavern in Gates Crest. He smiled at the serving girl as she placed a bowl of soup on his table but grimaced as he tasted what could be only be gruel.

This is pathetic, he thought. I can make a much better soup than this. Maybe I should show them how it's done.

A halfling juggler made a spectacle in the center of the tavern and called for someone to buy him a drink.

"One drink for the halfling," Derik shouted, making his way over to the little guy. Though he didn't consume alcohol himself, the swordmage was happy to keep the entertainment going. Gates Crest wasn't the most exciting town.

"So how much can you juggle?"

stinger201
2012-02-07, 04:15 PM
The bar maiden walks over and give the halfling a large ale and winked at him. Then the as she walked to the back of the bar 4 solders of the dark waters walked in. The bartender called one over and whispered something into his ear. The leader their captain nodded in response to the bartenders words and they sat down at a table near caged in fireplace. The captain looking at the halfling,and in a serious tone said,Fire is dangers. It can easily get out of hand. That is why you snuff it out before it becomes a problem. My grandfather went and traded in the lands of fire, they took his wife, money, goods, and abandoned him on the great mountain keshin where the god of fire lives dormant under the lava. Now lets see this "amazing show" you have for us.

Lord Noble
2012-02-07, 07:20 PM
“Well “friend” perhaps fire is dangerous in the use of an armature”. Carrin stated in a matter of fact tone "and if the bartender wished me gone i would have",But I had no intention of setting the tavern on fire. Are you even sure that was fire. Truly a smart man like your self knows that merely touching fire is quite painful and if you wish to see a true show I suggest we step out side were things will not catch on fire or blow up for that matter. Oh and about your grandfather I am truly sorry but is it really fair to judge my actions with bandits or barbarians who were the most likely to have commit the deeds you have told me. Carrin smiled thankfully at the man who had bought the beer for him and murmured depends, how many do you have. He then stood up and stared right at the soldier you still want a show

Electronic
2012-02-07, 09:47 PM
Derik, Human Swordmage

"Now, now," Derik said as he got between Carrin and the soldiers. "There's no need to get violent."

Lord Noble
2012-02-07, 10:27 PM
Carrin looked puzzled for a moment then he broke out laughing. truly this conversation has gone farther then intended. please let me apologize to both you and the bartender for my rash behavior. if i had the money i would even buy you a drink. i apologize again. Carrin sat back down with a expression that seemed both amused and saddened.
nice sword you got there... Carrin stopped waiting for the man to reveal his name.

tarsusc81
2012-02-08, 09:34 AM
Willa, Hamadryad Bard

Willa had switched to plucking a jauntier tune on her lyre when the halfling had begun his performance. She wouldn't be competing for attention with that kind of bravado anyway.

When the confrontation with soldiers had begun, she'd stopped abruptly, watching carefully. Then she'd hastily pulled a few components from her bag and begun another tune with her lyre, this time chanting a melody softly to herself.

The magic of the ritual complete after only a brief time, she now stood and moved quietly to the halfling's side. "My partner didn't mean any harm, my friends," she said sweetly. "We're a double act, you see. I provide the background for his illusions. They're just simple tricks."

Glib Limerick Ritual: 1 minute to cast, -10 gp. For 10 minutes, Willa rolls twice and chooses either result for Bluff checks.

Bluff check - the higher of these two rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

(Also, someone please let me know in the OOC if I'm using a ritual incorrectly. I'm bred on Essentials, so I don't know much about them!)

Emongnome777
2012-02-08, 09:49 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn is adept at making himself "invisible" when he needs to, and this appears to be one of those situations. He sits at the bar, quietly sipping his beer while the confrontation between the entertainer (who was quite good) and the soldiers takes place. His first instinct is to leave before something happens and more soldiers show up and start questioning everyone, but Kel'Ryn decides to take a chance and stick around. He can always disappear if things get rough.

Dramesh
2012-02-08, 02:27 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

While all the commotion was happening, Zaik turn back on his seat and listen to them, remembering every little details has he could and inspecting their reaction to each other. He doesn't want part of this right now.

stinger201
2012-02-08, 08:28 PM
The solders look at the mysterious woman that was playing the music. " Wow that was a illusion? that would have passed for the real thing. I am sorry for the miss judgments upon you entertainers. We have come upon hard times in these parts there is a group of pirates from the lands of fire that have been attacking our ports recently so we have been assigned with a battalion of men to guard these ports heavily. We have sent a messenger to the land of fire for confirmation that these are rebels and that we have the right to execute them. But as I said, I am sorry here let me buy you a drink. The captain nods to the bartender and brings a bottle of his finest whiskey over to the entertainers.

Emongnome777
2012-02-08, 08:51 PM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn, now on his second beer, settles down when the tension breaks. He's lived in the lands of Water his whole life, and he's heard of very few attacks from other lands, so this is an unusual occurance. His curiosity is piqued and he casually walks over to the soldiers and asks them, "so, how long have these attacks taken place? Do we have any reason to suspect that these are government-sanctioned by the land of Fire?"

Lord Noble
2012-02-08, 09:06 PM
Carrin, hafling sorcerer

Carrin could not help and a small expression of bewilderment to cross his face,. But always a one to take advantage of the situation he smiled at the musician and nodded at the captain saying. Yes her abilities surprise even me. Pirates you say? have you captured them already?

stinger201
2012-02-09, 12:18 AM
The captain looks at the two gentlemen and says "Alas we have not. We only believe that it is because of the burned insignia's that are on what remains of the ships and crews the symbol for the land of fire. We don't believe they would be so out right and bold. My theory is that they are a group of smugglers looking for a reason to increase their prices on goods between our nations.

Then as soon as the captain finishes his drink the door to the tavern opens and a covered figure comes in nods to the bartender and walks and sits at the table in the corner the darkest spot in the tavern. Then the tavern wench brought him a pitcher of mead. He again nodded to the wench and drank a little of the mead. He scanned the room noticing the land of waters solders, a mysterious looking creature in the other corner playing a wonderful melody, a arrogant cheep magician, a warrior sitting clearly not enjoying his food, a gnome, and a man with his back to the tavern and a rapier by his side. He looked at the bunch and then continued to listen to their conversations

Dramesh
2012-02-09, 09:55 AM
Zaik, Human Assassin

After the general end is explanation, Zaik spoke for the first time: "Did you at least get a lead on where they might be ? Maybe they are from the region and only want to pass has Fire Nation. Does anyone or any group in here might fit the description ?"

stinger201
2012-02-09, 07:51 PM
The captain looks at the man and repliesNo there is no description of what they look like just that they claim they are from the land of fire to oversee the transportation of goods to the land of fire. This is why there are small battalions at ever port in the nation of water to protect these merchants. The captain takes a drink and looks on to the weird bunch that has assembled to ask him questions

Dramesh
2012-02-09, 08:36 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

Looking at the man, Zaik replies: "Perhaps if we lay an ambush, we could lure them out of hiding and maybe even capture or kill some of them. If the reward is good, I may even lend you my skills."

Electronic
2012-02-09, 09:41 PM
Derik, Human Swordmage

"Smugglers?" Derik rubbed his chin.

Normally Derik would have declined. Pirates are a dime a dozen, and though subduing them would be just, it would also be boring.

Smugglers on the other hand could have many rare and exotic ingredients.

"I'll also lend you me skills. Free of charge as long as I get to keep some of what the pirates' wares."

tarsusc81
2012-02-09, 10:22 PM
For the moment, Willa stays silent, having stepped back a bit to stand unobtrusively at the edge of the throng. She listens intently. It's a strangely colorful crew of people assembled, and a clearly significant series of events at hand. The local pirate problem seems little relevant to her own quest. But on the other hand, placing herself among the important movers in the area is about the only sound strategy she has. Following her instincts will be important if she actually hopes to find what she seeks …

As she thinks all these things, she also keeps a wary eye on the cloaked stranger who has just entered the room. He certainly seems more than keenly interested in the group's conversation as well. She studies him closely, trying to get a read on the man.

Insight check:
[roll0]
To determine anything she can about the man's demeanor and mannerisms.

Emongnome777
2012-02-10, 08:21 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn rubs his chin. This does seem like an opportunity to do good AND be on the side of law, for once. I've never been out to sea, but why not?, he thinks.

"I'm interested as well. Count me in."

stinger201
2012-02-10, 01:01 PM
Willa's insight on the cloaked figure in the corner is that he seems very comfortable in the bar and is known in these parts.

The captain looks at the 4 that say that they will help and says, "what could a couple of travelers do that we trained solders cant. We decline your offer unless you can bring us proof you can apprehend these smugglers all by yourselves. The captain and his men finishes their drinks pay their tabs and then leave.

The bartender says to the group willing to help that there is a man that could help he lives in a cave up on the mountain side. The cloaked figure walks over to the bartender and whispers something to him. The bartender nods quickly, the man then walks back and continues to watch the conversations taking place in the tavern.

tarsusc81
2012-02-10, 01:29 PM
As the travelers stand around in the wake of the soldiers' departure, Willa sidles up to Carrin. "My name's Willa, by the way," she says, then adds slyly, "You should be more careful who you perform your . . . um . . . act for."

She gives a sidelong glance to the others gathered around. "By the way, if any of you do intend to follow through on investigating these pirates, I wonder if you'd let me join you? I may not look like much" - she taps her lyre - "but you may be surprised at the other talents I have."

Electronic
2012-02-10, 06:30 PM
Derik, Human Swordmage

"The more the merrier," Derik announced. "The name is Derik." He held out his hand.

"I think I'm going to get the pirates anyway. We don't really need their permission do we?"

Dramesh
2012-02-10, 06:48 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

Looking at the other people around, Zaik said in an calm voice: "So if we all join our effort into this "job" maybe we'll suceed. Anyone need something before we derpart? I suggest we depart as soon as possible".

stinger201
2012-02-12, 12:24 PM
The hooded figure watches the conversation then as the last comment is made he stands nods to the bartender then leaves. The bartender looks to the group and says "If you you want to take care of the smuggling bandit problem then you will need to see the head merchant in this town. His name is carl and he is the one that I was talking about. Also that was one of his spys that was just in here. He knows that if you are to succeed in your fight against these smugglers you need to have his help. Mainly because he has a few extra boats laying around that you can use." after the bartender finishes he walks into the back room to grab something.

Emongnome777
2012-02-13, 09:28 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn looks at the rest of the 'volunteers', wondering how well he would work with this group. Shrugging, he sticks he hand out toward the rest but nobody in particular. "The name's Kel'Ryn. I'd be happy to join in with the rest of you."

Dramesh
2012-02-13, 10:07 AM
Zaik, Human Assassin

"I'm Zaik, hope we can succeed in this mission, we are already on the tail of the race with his spy already ahead of us." He tend shake hand with Kel'Ryn.

tarsusc81
2012-02-13, 10:19 AM
Willa casts an anxious glance toward the door. "Presuming this bartender knows what he's talking about … Do we attempt to follow this 'spy' then, or see who in town knows where to find this merchant? We don't have much info to go on. And our chance at following the man is waning every second."

Electronic
2012-02-13, 09:19 PM
Derik, Human Swordmage

At first, Derik was about to follow the spy. But after Willa's words, he decided to be cautious.

Insight Check vs the Bartender

[roll0]

Emongnome777
2012-02-13, 09:30 PM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn rubs his chin. "Probably best to let him go. We've nothing to hide and assuming he's going back to his employer, then we'll be there soon enough."

stinger201
2012-02-13, 10:53 PM
Derik finds that the spy was more for of a messenger then a fighter.

The bartender walks back in with a chest."here take this map it will lead you to the location carl wants to meet with you. He is the head merchant for a reason its because he knows how to connect with people and everyone he meets end up owing him a little favor in the end. Dont get the wrong idea these favors are minuscule and wont cost you much for your troubles. He helped me out when I was trying to get this place running, and now I help am his watcher and listener. Who you saw was his messenger and most other simple merchants in this town would equate to his spys. All we do is report to him what is going on at the docks and who is trading what to where and so forth. He is quite a nice fellow just dont underestimate him. He is not one to be trifled with.

Emongnome777
2012-02-14, 01:39 PM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn takes the map and looks it over. "Hmm, seems easy enough. Not sure I like the 'favor' thing much, but it won't hurt to ask. Everyone ready?"

Dramesh
2012-02-14, 02:10 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

Looking at the people around him: "So, if everyone is ready I suggest we depart right now to visit the man itself."

tarsusc81
2012-02-14, 06:06 PM
Willa, Hamadryad Bard

Willa leans close over Kel'Ryn and examines the map. Then, with a shrug and a smile, she slips her lyre into her travel sack and hefts the spear she carried with her from her corner. "Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I travel light." With a spring, she heads out the door.

Willa heads straight for the location marked on the map. Assuming it's within a distance that doesn't require stopping to rest, barring any further details about its contents.

Emongnome777
2012-02-15, 11:59 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn takes off, following Willa as quickly as his short legs can take him.

Dramesh
2012-02-15, 01:23 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

Zaik then leave too and join the others outside.

stinger201
2012-02-15, 08:55 PM
As you all leave the bar you notice the cloaked figure making his way out of the small town and up the mountain path. He does not seem in much of a hurry but his walking cute briskly in the waning afternoon as the chill of the bay is settling into the town. As you follow the cloaked man he stops turns looks at you all then turns and keeps walking at the same pace as before. He then ducks into a small hidden cave off to the left behind a set of pine trees covering the entrance well.

Dramesh
2012-02-15, 09:25 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

As Zaik saw the man entering the cave, Zaik look at the others: "Do we follow him in there or are we gonna take the road ? I suggest we follow him in there".

tarsusc81
2012-02-16, 08:49 PM
Willa barely breaks stride. "Didn't the map lead in that general direction?" she muses as she heads directly toward the cave entrance.

Emongnome777
2012-02-18, 03:09 PM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn continues walking, trying to keep up with Willa. "Aye, he seems to want us to follow him. I say we head into the cave, but watch out for an ambush." He removes the crystal orb from his pouch and heads in.

tarsusc81
2012-02-18, 05:38 PM
Willa clutches her spear a bit tighter. "Yes, I suppose you're right." She breathes in and out slowly, then steps into the mouth of the cave.

"Hello? Anyone there?"

stinger201
2012-02-18, 09:50 PM
You hear the echo of your voice and some muffled tuds and clangs. Then as the echo dies out you see a vampire charge to the mouth of the cave and pounce at Willa but jumping into the sunlight instantly turned her to ashes.

tarsusc81
2012-02-18, 10:54 PM
Willa's uncannily graceful footing is the only thing that keeps her from falling as she jumps back from the unexpected onslaught. She stares, wide-eyed and horrified, at what remains of the creature that was here only a moment ago. After a tentative glance toward her companions, she takes one more cautious step forward, peering intently at the contents of the cave.

Perception check: [roll0]
Willa has low-light vision.

stinger201
2012-02-19, 12:35 AM
Willa sees only a few feet into the cave

Emongnome777
2012-02-19, 09:12 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

"Let's shed a little light onto this situation." With a wave of his hand and a muttered incantation, Kel'Ryn's crystal orb starts shining brightly, able to see about twenty feet ahead. Carefully, he eases deeper into the cave.

Light
At-Will Arcane
Minor Action Ranged 5
Target: One object or unoccupied square
Effect: The target sheds bright light until the end of the encounter or until you use this power again. The light fills the target’s space and all squares within 4 squares of it. Putting out the light is a free action.

stinger201
2012-02-19, 11:36 AM
The light reveal a small little camp inside the cave and at the camp you see about 30 vampires fighting something in the shadows. As you watch you see 5 of the vampires turn to dust out of no where.

Dramesh
2012-02-19, 11:27 PM
Zaik, Human Assassin

I think it's our cue to go in there and kill these no-dier. Zaik draws his rapier and dagger then jump into the cave.

tarsusc81
2012-02-19, 11:44 PM
Willa, Hamadryad Bard

Willa fights a sinking feeling. Never did she expect to be in a fight, hopelessly outnumbered by unnatural monsters, merely by entering this cave. She raises her spear and says in a shaky voice, "Get back, foul creatures!"

Initiative: [roll0]
(If we need to roll it ourselves, and if it's relevant at this point.)

Emongnome777
2012-02-20, 08:04 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

This is unexpected, Kel'Ryn thought as he takes a few steps forward and tries to see better what is going on, fully prepared to follow his new associates into the battle.

stinger201
2012-02-20, 08:38 PM
The moment you all enter the cave fully you see the black cloaked figure run up to you and quickly say, "Well Carl apologizes for this, someone must have fed the vampires too much blood and they broke their restraints and well we could use a hand". Just as the figure finishes a vampire runs up and he pulls out a silver blade and slices the vampires throat.

Emongnome777
2012-02-21, 10:37 AM
Kel'Ryn, Gnome Arcanist

Kel'Ryn mutters a brief incantation and the light formerly on his orb is now illuminating the center of the cave.

Are we in combat now? I'll have to wait around 10 hours or so to post my combat action (can't access character details at work).

Dramesh
2012-02-29, 05:45 PM
OOC
Since the slow paced post, I'll have to withdraw my character for this game. Sorry.