PDA

View Full Version : Something I just remembered (SOD Spoiler)

Dante2001
2012-02-03, 09:17 PM
If RC betrays Xykon, MitD has been commanded to devour him and spit the philactery. Do you think RC's might be aware or suspicious bout that? Cuz am sure RC can't possibly beat MitD.. right?

rman
2012-02-03, 10:38 PM
If RC gives his god control of the snarl he will die happy and have a wonderful after life.

Possible death is not a barrier. Death before the objective is.

dtilque
2012-02-04, 12:48 AM
It doesn't say what spell Xykon used on the monster in SoD, but if Red Cloak has the same spell, he could win a battle with MitD by casting it himself. That is, assuming MitD doesn't get a surprise attack and swallow RC (he's supposed to swallow RC whole) before RC has a chance to cast the spell.

However I think it's likely that MitD will have difficulty recognizing that RC is betraying X in the first place. Chances are he'll just dither like he did here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html)

Sith_Happens
2012-02-04, 03:47 AM
However I think it's likely that MitD will have difficulty recognizing that RC is betraying X in the first place. Chances are he'll just dither like he did here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html)

:xykon: Interesting, it seems as if REDCLOAK IS BETRAYING ME.
:mitd: Wait, could you repeat that?
:xykon: Redcloak! Betraying me!
:mitd: ...So hungry all of a sudden. For something green, too.
:redcloak: Crap.

Jay R
2012-02-04, 09:22 AM
The brute fact remains. He was ordered to eat the Order of the Stick, and we see how well that worked.

Belkar was able to outsmart him. I think Redcloak will be okay.

Psyren
2012-02-04, 12:34 PM
It doesn't say what spell Xykon used on the monster in SoD, but if Red Cloak has the same spell, he could win a battle with MitD by casting it himself.

Even if RC does know that spell, it's pretty unlikely that he would be able to beat an epic sorcerer lich at an opposed Charisma check. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#combiningMagicalEffects) It would be like beating Rage-Thog at arm-wrestling.

Dante2001
2012-02-07, 11:18 PM
Ālso I just noticed RC smiled... he didnt smile since ages

Cazaril
2012-02-07, 11:33 PM
The brute fact remains. He was ordered to eat the Order of the Stick, and we see how well that worked.

Belkar was able to outsmart him. I think Redcloak will be okay.

On the other hand, I don't think that he was ever magically commanded to eat the Order of the Stick, Xykon just told him that he was supposed to do that. Whereas with Redcloak, the enchantment will cause him to take that course of action without him needing to figure out for himself that that's what he's supposed to do.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-08, 12:28 AM
:xykon: Interesting, it seems as if REDCLOAK IS BETRAYING ME.
:mitd: Wait, could you repeat that?
:xykon: Redcloak! Betraying me!
:mitd: ...So hungry all of a sudden. For something green, too.
:redcloak: Crap.

On the other hand, I don't think that he was ever magically commanded to eat the Order of the Stick, Xykon just told him that he was supposed to do that. Whereas with Redcloak, the enchantment will cause him to take that course of action without him needing to figure out for himself that that's what he's supposed to do.

I hope this happens. As in, I hope the MitD doesn't instantly recognize RC is betraying Xykon and as such doesn't activate the spell. The momentary lapse before the truly fires will give RC enough time to get the upper hand, however he chooses to do so. And I'm thoroughly convinced RC can beat Xykon right now (as long as he is fully loaded in the spell area). No one knows Xykon, his attitude, strategies, abilities, defences and weaknesses than RC and I bet he's clever enough to know how to circumvent any counter attack from X. But I digress.

Fish
2012-02-08, 02:22 PM
Someone once calculated that Xykon would have to be 40,000th level for that one spell to have lasted until now. Were Xykon that powerful he wouldn't need backup. Chances are good that it has no relevance except in the plot of Start of Darkness. It showed Xykon was prepared for betrayal; and indeed, Redcloak nearly did.

Until I see evidence it's an ongoing effect, I won't assume it is.

Peelee
2012-02-09, 11:45 AM
Someone once calculated that Xykon would have to be 40,000th level for that one spell to have lasted until now. Were Xykon that powerful he wouldn't need backup. Chances are good that it has no relevance except in the plot of Start of Darkness. It showed Xykon was prepared for betrayal; and indeed, Redcloak nearly did.

Until I see evidence it's an ongoing effect, I won't assume it is.

Yes, because the Giant is well-known for his strict, unyielding adherence to D&D rules in the narrative.

D&D Rules and Explanations -
Rules Accuracy In The Comic (http://ow.ly/68ITx): "If you are looking for moment-to-moment rules accuracy from this comic, you probably should stop reading."

Unless I see evidence that it has been negated, I won't assume it is.

Gandariel
2012-02-09, 02:22 PM
It would be like beating Rage-Thog at arm-wrestling.

you mean like This? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html)