PDA

View Full Version : The Oracle and his relevance (possible SoD spoilers)

Giddon
2012-02-03, 09:38 PM
I was rereading some of the older comics, plus browising through SoD, and I realized, maybe the Oracle has a bigger part to play in this than we assume.

I do not know if this has been considered before or if there is a thread discussing it, but here go a couple of my ideas.

a) The oracle will have something to do with the ritual. After all we already know he isn't a cleric, and even though its not confirmed he is an arcane caster it would seem so, even though he gets his vision through Tiamat. This also considering that something tells me that a break between RC and Xykon will occur before the ritual is performed (which I think it will be).

b) If not he definitely still has something to do with this conflict and its resolution. Tiamat certainly does and nothing says that he can't be working to help Tiamat's goals, hell maybe he even knows about the IFCC

Nightmarenny
2012-02-03, 10:24 PM
Wasn't it implied the oracle doesn't have class levels?

Ravian
2012-02-03, 10:28 PM
While I believe that the oracle may play a greater part than foreshadowing, I doubt he has PC class levels. After he was raised he said he would have to start working on another level of expert. (most likely he has most of his ranks in use magic device, profession: oracular businessman, and possibly some knowledge skills)

I find it interesting that a non-divine caster is being empowered by Tiamet (a western god) when the sunken valley is in the southern lands. Doesn't this go against the rules the deities established on influencing the world?

ORione
2012-02-03, 10:31 PM
He's an Expert. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html)

Geordnet
2012-02-03, 10:39 PM
I believe he is an Expert (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0571.html). Probably low-level too, since Belkar was able to kill him in one stab.

Nightmarenny
2012-02-03, 10:41 PM
While I believe that the oracle may play a greater part than foreshadowing, I doubt he has PC class levels. After he was raised he said he would have to start working on another level of expert. (most likely he has most of his ranks in use magic device, profession: oracular businessman, and possibly some knowledge skills)

I find it interesting that a non-divine caster is being empowered by Tiamet (a western god) when the sunken valley is in the southern lands. Doesn't this go against the rules the deities established on influencing the world?

Well Thor got kicked out of the South Lands for breaking the rules. So whatever Tiamut does maybe isn't against the rules?

ti'esar
2012-02-04, 12:15 AM

Tiamat is the goddess of (chromatic) dragons, to which kobolds are closely affiliated, no matter where they may live. She quite possibly is the one responsible for creating them in the first place, given what we've seen of the creation. So I'd say it makes sense.

NerfTW
2012-02-04, 12:19 AM
Well Thor got kicked out of the South Lands for breaking the rules. So whatever Tiamut does maybe isn't against the rules?

That was direct interference. He could still grant Durkon spells, obviously, as we're told in SOD. Gods can still aid their followers, but they can't interfere directly, like Thor did in Cliffport.

Tiamat is simply allowing the Oracle to have visions, not directly interfering in things.

factotum
2012-02-04, 02:38 AM
a) The oracle will have something to do with the ritual. After all we already know he isn't a cleric, and even though its not confirmed he is an arcane caster it would seem so, even though he gets his vision through Tiamat.

There's a gap in the logic I'm missing here--why must the Oracle be any sort of caster in order to receive his visions from Tiamat? Evidence in-comic suggests he only has levels in Expert, as already pointed out, and even if he *is* some sort of caster, he must be a very low-level one to die to one stab from Belkar. I seriously doubt he's going to be involved in an epic or near-epic ritual in any way!

Ron Miel
2012-02-04, 09:01 AM
My prediction:

The Oracle has been influencing events since the beginning.

Belkar's (fake?) character growth post MOJ will somehow be instrumental in bringing down Xykon. The Oracle foresaw this and deliberately provoked Belkar into killing him, thus ultimately helping to save the world.

Predicting Belkar's death, and ejecting Roy without the memory charm, is also an attempt by him to manipulate Roy into fulfilling his destiny.

Ron Miel
2012-02-04, 09:03 AM
By the way, I'm not really familiar with D&D, please explain what an expert is, in D&D terms.

qwertyu63
2012-02-04, 09:08 AM
By the way, I'm not really familiar with D&D, please explain what an expert is, in D&D terms.

An NPC class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/expert.htm)

Giddon
2012-02-04, 09:13 AM
Ah, I missed the expert thing. Well thanks for pointing that out. I'll cross of a. I still think the Oracle will have something to do with the ritual (helping it succeed or fail) and with the "endgame".