PDA

View Full Version : Help with new campaign

StarSwirl
2012-02-04, 01:50 AM
It's been years since I've played D&D, but I can't stop thinking about it. I'll probably start with some core 3.0 to get used to things, but eventually I'd really like to make a more personal campaign set in the Counai Heights region of of the Kalamar setting. I figured this might be a great place to get some advice on house rules and such. What I wanted to ask about first was skills.

Because players don't know what their DM will throw at them, it seems like a good strategy for players minimize their weaknesses as a party before they worry about maximizing their strengths. That and the exponential cost of magic items that grant bonuses to skills make it seem like skill points would largely be spread out over several skills. From what I've seen, however, characters typically max out a few key skills. Both of these approaches seem rather boring. I've been thinking that a better way to define one's character would be to have their total skill modifiers look more like a bell curve. Does this seem like something I should encourage, and if so, what can I do to achieve this? If not, why? I love finding reasons to reconsider any changes, as I usually end up appreciating the core system a lot more.

While I'm on the subject of skills, I was also thinking of limiting advancement to only 4 points (or possibly ranks) per level, so one couldn't suddenly max out a neglected skill. I'm also thinking of messing with Profession to fit better with how much NPCs earn and maybe even getting rid of Spot (though Rangers might get bonuses and you could take a feat like Improved Initiative)