PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good technomancer or engineer class

ALOR
2012-02-04, 01:58 AM
I've been looking for a good steam punkish technomancer and a engineer class for some time. I've never really found one that fits what I'm looking for. the engineer would be able tomake gadgets and gizmos. The technomancer would have a full subschool of technomancy spells. I've seen some of the Iron Kingdoms stuff but the classes within are not quite what I'm looking for and not many spells to make a good class spell list on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'll take a look at any homebrewed or published suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

edit: found a several good engineer style classes, now I am focusing on the Technomancy portion.

HunterOfJello
2012-02-04, 02:14 AM
Artificer! Artificer! Artificer! Artificer! Artificer! Artificer!

The artificer pulls off this role very well, but is also one of the most complicated classes in 3.5

They create magical items, a nice list of homunculi, and use a type of magic called Infusions to add magical properties to items. Infusions work as buffs, can hold spells, heal constructs, can modify and manipulate magical items, and can create walls of matter. They're very interesting and useful.

Artificers, like a good engineer, are all about preparation. Many of their most powerful abilities require time to cast or use, but once they have set things up, they can do all sorts of fun things.

They're a great class for people who like to create or use magical items, and they are open to a large number of different builds, which makes them quite fun to play.

Heatwizard
2012-02-04, 05:12 AM
Faiths and Pantheons, one of the forgotten realms books, has a prestige class called Techsmith. I haven't looked at it very hard, but it's 10/10 casting progression, so it can't be too bad.

Ossian
2012-02-04, 06:30 AM
Go Artificer. It's like playing Tony Stark. :smallwink:

Gotterdammerung
2012-02-04, 12:03 PM
Faiths and Pantheons, one of the forgotten realms books, has a prestige class called Techsmith. I haven't looked at it very hard, but it's 10/10 casting progression, so it can't be too bad.

yeh I have tried to optimize techsmith before. It is not the easiest pet character to optimize.

So far the best I have been able to do

2 cleric of gond/1 minor bloodline/3 cleric of gond/10 Techsmith/4 legacy champion

Gives you a 17 hit dice construct with all the natural mechanics that goes with that.

and you get 13 improvements
the options for improvements are
str +1
dex+1
Bab+1
1 Save +1
Nat armor +1

You get to pick any combination of 13 improvements.

Overall it just isn't very impressive.

It is worth noting, that it is one of the only ways I can think of to get a creature with a BAB higher than his hit dice.

you can have a 17 hit dice creature with a 25 bab... weirdness.

Madcrafter
2012-02-04, 12:06 PM
As for artificer, though an awesome class, it might not fit with the steampunk aesthetic you're looking for, since they focus heavily on magical items. You could refluff it presumably, but lots of people don't seem to like doing that.

ALOR
2012-02-04, 07:54 PM
As for artificer, though an awesome class, it might not fit with the steampunk aesthetic you're looking for, since they focus heavily on magical items. You could refluff it presumably, but lots of people don't seem to like doing that.

Yeah thats my issue with Artificer, not what I have in mind when I think engineer.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-04, 09:45 PM
Have you tried the Gnome Artificer (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gnome_Artificer)? No, not a Gnome who is an Artificer, but a separate class. Basically, they make mundane items that replicate certain spells. Despite their name, humans from a certain area can also take the prestige class by RAW and many DM are OK with waiving certain fluff requirements.

Mystify
2012-02-05, 01:11 AM
Have you tried the Gnome Artificer (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gnome_Artificer)? No, not a Gnome who is an Artificer, but a separate class. Basically, they make mundane items that replicate certain spells. Despite their name, humans from a certain area can also take the prestige class by RAW and many DM are OK with waiving certain fluff requirements.

stoneblessed should allow anything to enter

MukkTB
2012-02-05, 01:30 AM
There isn't much support in 3.X for creating nonmagical items. The Gnome Artificer sounds decent. The 'core' solution is just to create a rogue with a high intelligence and then stick the skillpoints into crafting and knowledge.

Morithias
2012-02-05, 02:03 AM
There's a feat (Create device) and a prestiege class (I think Sciencetist) in the Ravenloft book "Legacy of blood".

Devices are mundane versions of magical items, but you need to pay a tiny bit extra for a "power source"....still the fact that they're all mundane makes them very powerful if you abuse things like anti-magic field generator kits and such.

hex0
2012-02-05, 02:46 PM

I looked into Gnome Artificer for my steampunk gnome from Lantan character. But it doesn't really...work. The problem is that the 'gadgets' take up a lot of space and weigh too much for a small character with a strength.

I did a Wizard entry into Techsmith and LOVED it. A Spellthief entry or Factotum entry (with DM permission) might be fun though.

Zeta Kai
2012-02-05, 04:33 PM
There is a very cool base class from Lappy9000 called the Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229). It very steampunk, very flavorful, & is a lot of fun to play. It's probably more fitting to your concept than the Artificer, which is a bit too "magitek" for some tastes.

ALOR
2012-02-06, 11:39 PM
There is a very cool base class from Lappy9000 called the Engineer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114229). It very steampunk, very flavorful, & is a lot of fun to play. It's probably more fitting to your concept than the Artificer, which is a bit too "magitek" for some tastes.

now that looks more like what I am lookin for.

What about Technomancy spells? anybody have any ideas as far as that goes?

hex0
2012-02-07, 07:41 PM
now that looks more like what I am lookin for.

What about Technomancy spells? anybody have any ideas as far as that goes?

Animate Object? Minor/Major Creation? Repair Light Wounds etc.?

Spell Thematics to make your fireballs look like giant gears?

Randomguy
2012-02-07, 08:20 PM
Animate Object? Minor/Major Creation? Repair Light Wounds etc.?

Spell Thematics to make your fireballs look like giant gears?

Wall of gears? Fantastic Machine?