PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting as part of a charge?

Rossebay
2012-02-04, 02:11 AM
Using the Blink Shirt (Magic of Incarnum) is it possible?

HunterOfJello
2012-02-04, 02:16 AM
the Blink shirt takes a standard or move action to use

If you were using an ability as an immediate action, then mayyyyybe. I'm really not sure. However, the blink shirt doesn't pull that off anyway so the point is moot.

Chess435
2012-02-04, 02:18 AM
How about an Abrupt Jaunt Conjurer?

Zaq
2012-02-04, 03:38 AM
Shadowpouncing is probably the closest you're gonna get.

Well, that, or teleport yourself 10 feet above your foe's head, then use Battle Jump.

Rossebay
2012-02-04, 12:00 PM
the Blink shirt takes a standard or move action to use

If you were using an ability as an immediate action, then mayyyyybe. I'm really not sure. However, the blink shirt doesn't pull that off anyway so the point is moot.

I was looking for a feat or something. I know the Blink Shirt is standard or move, but it functions as dimension door, so I can't do anything after teleporting.

Feralventas
2012-02-04, 02:18 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-agility

Followed by Dimensional Assault, use dimension door as part of a charge, and later Dimensional Dervish to be able to cast it as a swift action as part of a full-round-attack.

It's mid to high-level stuff, but I think this would work.

Piggy Knowles
2012-02-04, 03:26 PM
As Zaq mentioned, outside of Pathfinder there's really no way to do it without Shadow Pounce, thanks to the limitations of Dimension Door. That said, Telflammar Shadowlord works quite nicely alongside Blink Shirt.

As I'm fond of promoting, one of my favorite shadowpounce builds is Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Cobra Strike Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cobraStrike) 2/Umbral Disciple 3/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 8

arguskos
2012-02-04, 04:15 PM
Anklets of Translocation plus a normal charge seems to work fine to me (swift action teleport into a charge). It's not much, but it's something. Not sure why no one else suggested this (perhaps I missed something, seems to happen more and more these days).

Curmudgeon
2012-02-04, 05:08 PM
As long as you've got some extra action available, teleporting after a charge special full-round action is fine; the point is to get in there, make your full pounce attack, and get away to avoid a full counterattack. But you definitely need to do this afterward, not "as part of" a charge. Teleporting instead of moving won't enable a charge attack, because that requires actual movement (and isn't satisfied by getting somewhere else without moving).
Movement During a Charge

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent. (Bopping into the Astral Plane hardly counts as "directly toward" your opponent, for that matter.) Blink Shirt offers no exception to this rule.

The Shadow Blink maneuver would work fine for you. The restriction on Dimension Door (or similar) won't hurt you if it's the last action you take on your turn, so getting an extra action to do this after the charge would be nifty. Other ways of avoiding a full counterattack include Travel Devotion (move as a swift action), and a really good Hide skill plus Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight so you can Hide while attacking. If they don't Spot you they can't target you; the best they can do is attack a square and hope you're in it.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-04, 07:06 PM
If you use a Psy Warrior you can quicken a Dimension Slide into a swift action, and so you move 25+ ft. as a swift action before charging.

Piggy Knowles
2012-02-04, 07:16 PM
Not sure why no one else suggested this (perhaps I missed something, seems to happen more and more these days).

I think the main reason it wasn't mentioned was because the OP specifically asked about the Blink Shirt, which is based off of Dimension Door and so comes with some built-in limitations (ie, your turn ends after you use it). But yeah, Anklets of Translocation are quite fun.

Rossebay
2012-02-04, 11:30 PM
As Zaq mentioned, outside of Pathfinder there's really no way to do it without Shadow Pounce, thanks to the limitations of Dimension Door. That said, Telflammar Shadowlord works quite nicely alongside Blink Shirt.

As I'm fond of promoting, one of my favorite shadowpounce builds is Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Cobra Strike Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cobraStrike) 2/Umbral Disciple 3/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 8

Telflammor Shadowlord? Probably 5th time I've heard of it, and I still can't remember which book it's out of.

Curmudgeon
2012-02-05, 12:13 AM
Telflammor Shadowlord? Probably 5th time I've heard of it, and I still can't remember which book it's out of.
Unapproachable East, on pages 36-37.

Rossebay
2012-02-05, 12:26 AM
Unapproachable East, on pages 36-37.

Sweet, thanks! That actually works REALLY well alongside the Blink Shirt. If only it gave me maneuvers or Meldshaper Levels too... :P