PDA

View Full Version : Spell-to-Power Erudite and 9th Level Spells: What am I missing?

gkathellar
2012-02-04, 09:48 AM
See thread title: can StP Erudites actually learn 9th-level spells?

I was rereading the Erudite's text, and noticed that they can only learn Discipline powers of 1 level lower than their maximum powers. This prompted me to look over Spell-to-Power again, and confirm that "you treat the spell as a discipline power for the basis of learning it," which means an StP Erudite should suffer the same limitations on their converted spells. Is this a correct reading?

If so, is there any way for an StP Erudite to learn 9th-level spells pre-epic?

Also, a related question: can converted spells be imprinted in Power Stones, enabling Expanded Knowledge/Psychic Reformation abuse?

Alleran
2012-02-04, 10:12 AM
AFAIK, you can just get somebody who knows the converted spells to use Psychic Chirugery to put them into your head.

Psyren
2012-02-04, 10:23 AM
Yep. You need another Epic StP Erudite.

For 9th-level powers, this is easy - find a Telepath first, then through a combination of Soul Crystal and Psychic Chirurgery, you can learn all of those pre-epic.

gkathellar
2012-02-04, 10:24 AM
AFAIK, you can just get somebody who knows the converted spells to use Psychic Chirugery to put them into your head.

Failing the help of an epic Erudite somewhere along the line, I'm not sure that would work. Psychic Chirurgery lets you transfer powers, not spells. The only person who could thus impart a 9th-level spell through it would be someone who already knows the spell as a power, which only an epic Erudite seems like they could manage in the first place.