PDA

View Full Version : 2 Handed Weapon in 1 hand?

undead hero
2012-02-04, 05:28 PM
So I tried performing a few searches and the search function on this forum is being messed up for me tonight and google only gives me "monkey grip".

What I want to know is if there is a way to equip a 2 handed weapon (falchion)
in 1 hand?

Tengu_temp
2012-02-04, 05:29 PM
In before Monkey Grip.

No such option as far as I know. Monkey Grip let you do that in 3.0, but not anymore in 3.5.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-04, 05:30 PM
Not worth it. If need be, you can buy Strongarm Bracers from MIC and use a large-sized scimitar. Or be a goliath from RoS and use a large-sized scimitar. Monkey Grip sucks, and these two options still aren't as good as just two-handing it.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-02-04, 05:31 PM
You can do it while mounted with a lance.
Note that it's still a 2H weapon, so it (by raw) inflicts double PA altough you wield it with 1 hand.
You can even dual wield it to double the fun.

A Dervish treats a scimitar as a light weapon.
Thus, a Large Scimitar counts as a 1 handed weapon for your character (I'm being rational. RAW, a colossal scimitar is still a light weapon since the prestige class does not mention the size of the weapon).
A large scimitar is the equivalent of a Falchion.

undead hero
2012-02-04, 05:42 PM
Thanks, i figured as much.

Telonius
2012-02-04, 07:12 PM
Well, you could get a falchion one size smaller, I suppose. It gives you a -2 to attack.

Thurbane
2012-02-04, 08:58 PM
Strongarm Bracers will let you wield a 2 handed medium weapon in one hand (assuming you're medium). The text of the Bracers says "You can wield weapons as if you were one size larger". A large creature can wield a medium 2 handed weapon in one hand, with a -2 size penalty.

Snowbluff
2012-02-04, 11:49 PM
RevenantBladeRevenantBladeRevenantBladeRevenantBla deRevenantBladeRevenantBladeRevenantBladeRevenantB ladeRevenantBlade...

Doubles Scimmy (1 less damage than Falch per end) counting as 2h for each end for Power Attack and the like.

Snowbluff
2012-02-04, 11:53 PM
You can do it while mounted with a lance.
Note that it's still a 2H weapon, so it (by raw) inflicts double PA altough you wield it with 1 hand.
You can even dual wield it to double the fun.

A Dervish treats a scimitar as a light weapon.
Thus, a Large Scimitar counts as a 1 handed weapon for your character (I'm being rational. RAW, a colossal scimitar is still a light weapon since the prestige class does not mention the size of the weapon).
A large scimitar is the equivalent of a Falchion.

"If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one- handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls."

Hmmm... nope, If you are using a Two hander or One Hander *stop* wielded in two hands. The statment is ambiguous. English is tricky, but RAI (rather than Ruling-by-me-throwing-books-at-you) says this is wrong.

sonofzeal
2012-02-05, 12:01 AM
"If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one- handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls."

Hmmm... nope, If you are using a Two hander or One Hander *stop* wielded in two hands. The statment is ambiguous. English is tricky, but RAI (rather than Ruling-by-me-throwing-books-at-you) says this is wrong.
Commas make this unambiguous. Compare:

"If you attack with a two-handed weapon or with a one- handed weapon, wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls."

Ivellius
2012-02-05, 12:04 AM

Actually, the English is clear because the commas set off the phrase. So it's "two-handed weapon *stop* or one-handed weapon wielded in two hands. RAI it's probably not meant to work, but a lance is still a two-handed weapon; it's just wielded in a single hand while mounted. Interesting interaction there.

Edit: Swordsaged. Ah well.

Anyway, if you have access to the World of Warcraft RPG book, there's a prestige class in there (Berserker) that allows it. And yes, it specifically changes the "handedness." Unusual for a d20 book, I know.

Coidzor
2012-02-05, 12:31 AM
It's not in your hand, but getting a bite attack and slapping on the Mouthpick weapon property(Lords of Madness) on to a 2-handed weapon will not only let you wield that 2-handed weapon as a 2-handed weapon with one's bite attack, but it'll also confer proficiency, so you can feel free to go for a kaorti resin or heavy version of an exotic weapon.

Snowbluff
2012-02-05, 12:42 AM
Commas make this unambiguous. Compare:

"If you attack with a two-handed weapon or with a one- handed weapon, wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls."

Ah, didn't see the second comma.

Regardless, if I recall correctly, weapons lose a handedness category if they lose a relative size category (PHB 113). Wielding a small zweihander as a human gives you an einhander.

Also, Monkey Grip kicks butt now by RAW. Using a zweihander in one hand with full Power Attack is sweet!

Medic!
2012-02-05, 12:57 AM
It's not even remotely RAW (or RAI for that matter) but when it was vital to a character concept I've allowed a player with a high strength score to wield a Mithril 2h weapon in one hand, negating any and all bonuses for it being a 2h weapon (for opposed checks, PA, +str dmg, etc). Over all it wasn't mechanically any different than using Strongarm Bracers to wield an oversized one-handed weapon but satisfied his flavor. Might bounce it off your DM *shrug* worst he can do is say no.

Doughnut Master
2012-02-05, 02:18 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide has the Balanced weapon enhancement. That works.

Rossebay
2012-02-05, 02:40 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide has the Balanced weapon enhancement. That works.

Or, you could just get a +2 weapon. Negates the size class difference penalty, and gives you +2 on damage as well.

Snowbluff
2012-02-05, 01:34 PM
Or, you could just get a +2 weapon. Negates the size class difference penalty, and gives you +2 on damage as well.

Except that if you wield a size lower 2h it becomes a one-hander.

Rossebay
2012-02-05, 01:39 PM
Except that if you wield a size lower 2h it becomes a one-hander.

Wield a greatsword in two hands. It's correctly sized. Wield it in one hand? That's correctly sized for a Large Creature, not for you.
So you take a -2 size penalty to wielding it, as long as you can hold it. That's how I've always understood it.

So then, you just get a +2 weapon to cover for the -2 penalty. It also grants you +2 damage, where balanced just gives you no penalty on attacks for using it 1-handed.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-05, 01:49 PM
Wield a greatsword in two hands. It's correctly sized. Wield it in one hand? That's correctly sized for a Large Creature, not for you.
So you take a -2 size penalty to wielding it, as long as you can hold it. That's how I've always understood it.
That's never been how it works, unless you use the variant rule in the DMG. A medium sized greatsword is not also a large-sized longsword, because it was created with the intention of being used by medium-sized creatures (thinner hilt, thinner blade, etc.). A large-sized creature can use it at a -2 penalty, but it doesn't count as a large-sized weapon. A medium creature, with Monkey Grip, can wield a large-sized longsword one-handed with a -2 penalty. Without Monkey Grip, they wield it two-handed at a -2 penalty.

So then, you just get a +2 weapon to cover for the -2 penalty. It also grants you +2 damage, where balanced just gives you no penalty on attacks for using it 1-handed.

Except that's still a loss. Your DM isn't going to hand out free +2 weapons, you're still going to be two points behind in attack.

Rossebay
2012-02-05, 01:50 PM
That's never been how it works, unless you use the variant rule in the DMG. A medium sized greatsword is not also a large-sized longsword, because it was created with the intention of being used by medium-sized creatures (thinner hilt, thinner blade, etc.). A large-sized creature can use it at a -2 penalty, but it doesn't count as a large-sized weapon. A medium creature, with Monkey Grip, can wield a large-sized longsword one-handed with a -2 penalty. Without Monkey Grip, they wield it two-handed at a -2 penalty.

Except that's still a loss. Your DM isn't going to hand out free +2 weapons, you're still going to be two points behind in attack.

Ahhhh. And here, I thought you could just switch your Greatsword over to one hand for a -2 penalty.

Snowbluff
2012-02-05, 06:38 PM

It becomes a correctly sized Large einhander. That is how you are holding it in one hand.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-05, 06:46 PM
It becomes a correctly sized Large einhander. That is how you are holding it in one hand.

Nope, see my post on it. I know that somewhere in the DMG, there's a variant rule that works the way you're saying, but by the normal rules, he takes a -2 penalty while wielding a weapon made for creatures one size category smaller.

Snowbluff
2012-02-05, 06:56 PM
Nope, see my post on it. I know that somewhere in the DMG, there's a variant rule that works the way you're saying, but by the normal rules, he takes a -2 penalty while wielding a weapon made for creatures one size category smaller.

PHB 113. If have been reading the thread, you would know I have posted this before. It's not a variant rule, it's written clear as day in the PHB.

Looking at this now, I just realized any sized weapon can be used by any sized character, since any weapon can wielded different size category with a cumulative -2.

Alas, I digress, this is becoming off-topic.

tyckspoon
2012-02-05, 08:48 PM
Looking at this now, I just realized any sized weapon can be used by any sized character, since any weapon can wielded different size category with a cumulative -2.

No. The handedness of the weapon also changes when you mis-size it; if you're wielding a weapon for a smaller race, it moves down toward light one step per size category mismatch. If you're wielding one for a bigger race, it moves up toward two-handed. If those adjustments would move it beyond light or two-handed, you can't wield it at all.

Snowbluff
2012-02-06, 12:21 AM
No. The handedness of the weapon also changes when you mis-size it; if you're wielding a weapon for a smaller race, it moves down toward light one step per size category mismatch. If you're wielding one for a bigger race, it moves up toward two-handed. If those adjustments would move it beyond light or two-handed, you can't wield it at all.

Double checked the last line, and yes! I concur.