PDA

View Full Version : BURN! BURN! BURN!!! [3.5, PrC]

TheGeckoKing
2012-02-04, 08:40 PM
Apostle of the All-Destroyer

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/067/4/6/Flaming_Dragon_by_xbiarcex.jpg
[Picture Source (http://xbiarcex.deviantart.com/art/Flaming-Dragon-156642105)]

By Garyx I am empowered! By fire I am glorious! BY MY TALONS, YOU SHALL BURN! - Ixenssissth, High Priest of Garyx

Garyx the Firelord, Cleanser of Worlds and Draconic God of Fire, Destruction and Renewal is a paragon of the fury and power embodied in dragons, his worshippers consist mainly of pyromaniacs and destructive dragons. The Apostles of the All-Destroyer are the greatest of these pious wyrms, and embody all of Garyx's qualities.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Alignment: Any Chaotic or Evil
Race: Dragon type or Dragonblood subtype.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana or Nature or Religion) 9 ranks.
Feats: Blistering Spell (PHII), Searing Spell (Sandstorm).
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd or higher level spells with the [Fire] descriptor.
Patron: Garyx.

Class Skills
The Apostle of the All-Destroyer's class skills are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Survival (Wis).
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Mod.

Hit Dice: d8

The Apostle of the All-Destroyer
{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Burning Eye|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Overwhelming Fire +1|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Talons of Fire|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Domain of the Firelord (Domain Power)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Searing Eye|
---

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Overwhelming Fire +2|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Spreading Flames|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Domain of the Firelord (Domain Spells)|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Conflagration of Renewal|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th|
+7|
+6|
+3|
+7|Incinerating Eye, Overwhelming Fire +3|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

Proficiencies: The Apostle of the All-Destroyer gains no new proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At every level except 5th, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer gains new spells per day and spells known as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class they belonged to prior to taking this prestige class. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that level would have gained (turn undead, improved familiar abilities, etc). If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an Apostle of the All-Destroyer, they must decide to which class they add the new levels for purposes of determining spells per day.

Burning Eye (Su): At 1st level, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer gains a sign of the the Firelord's approval, something few worshippers of the Firelord ever get. The Apostle of the All-Destroyer's eyes flare up with a burning glow, lighting the surrounding area like that of a torch. Additionally, as a standard action the Apostle of the All-Destroyer may fire a stream of flames from their eyes as a ranged touch attack at one creature within 60ft of the Apostle of the All-Destroyer, dealing 4d4 points of fire damage if it hits.

Overwhelming Fire (Su): At 2nd level, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer gains a +1 sacred (if good) or profane (if neutral or evil) bonus on their Caster Level when casting when casting spells or using Spell-like abilities with the [Fire] descriptor that deal damage. At 6th and 10th level, this bonus becomes +2 and +3, respectively.

Talons of Fire (Su): At 3rd level, the mere touch of an the Apostle of the All-Destroyer brings fire. Dismissed/reactivated as a swift action, anything the Apostle of the All-Destroyer touches that is flammable catches on fire (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Environment#Catching_on_Fire).

Domain of the Firelord: At 4th level, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer gains power from their devotion, and gains the granted domainq of any one of Garyx's cleric domains they do not already possess. At 8th level, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer also gains the domain spells of the same domain.

Searing Eye: At 5th level, when the Apostle of the All-Destroyer successfully uses their Burning Eye ability on a creature, three times per day they may elect to use this ability. The creature damaged by the Apostle is also Dazed for one round.

Spreading Flames: At 7th level, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer truly can swathe the world in flames. All Fire spells that deal damage the Apostle of the All-Destroyer casts are automatically affected by the Widen Spell feat without an increase in spell level or casting time.

Conflagration of Renewal (Su): Something most incinerated commoners forget is that Garyx is not all about mindless destruction - he is also the god of renewal and new beginnings, something that the Apostles of the All-Destroyer also epitomize. At 9th level, once per day when the Apostle of the All-Destroyer would be killed, 1d4 rounds after death, a tower of fire falls from the sky at the Apostle's place of death, and the Apostle emerges from the conflagration, alive and fully healed in a colossal plume of flames. This explosion deals 10d4 points of fire damage to all enemies within 100ft (No Save), and Dazes them for 1 round (DC 10+class level+the Apostle's casting modifier Will Save to negate).

Incinerating Eye: At 10th level, the Apostle of the All-Destroyer's gaze can reduce the observed to ash. Once per day, when the Apostle would successfully damage a creature with their Burning Eye, they may force the creature to make a Fortitude Save (DC 10+class level+the Apostle's casting modifier) or be killed as they are reduced to smouldering ash. On a successful save, the creature still takes an extra 2d4 points of fire damage.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-04, 11:27 PM
Nice picture.

Prerequisites: You open this class up to clerics and wiz/sorc, but not druids, for some odd reason. Druids are much more fire-based than clerics. (Seriously). Why not offer Know (Nature) 9 ranks as well?

Also, you should change the spellcasting prerequisite to 3rd or higher level spells, since there's no reason to ban someone if he's dropping fire shield or orb of fire instead of fireball. Finally, when it's attached to a spell, it's called the [fire] descriptor, not the [fire] subtype (that's when it's attached to a creature)

Skills: Dragons are by far most closely linked to sorcerers, and based on the prerequisites, I believe sorcerers are the most likely to take this class (clerics don't get that many fire spells, wizards have better classes to take than blast). So I think you should offer Bluff as a class skill as well, since that's something both sorcerers and dragons are well-known for. Also if you open it up to druids you should obviously add Knowledge (Nature) in as well.

Burning Eye: Useful. Flavorful. Not too powerful. However, it's definitely not a melee touch attack. A ranged touch attack would make much more sense.

Overwhelming Fire: Epic, awesome, nice. Problem: If you are evil, you get profane bonuses, not sacred bonuses. I would change it to say "You receive a sacred (if you are good or neutral) or profane (if you are evil) bonus to DCs equal to etc etc"

Domain of the Firelord: Very nice. However, it's called a "granted power", not a "domain power".

Spreading Flames: Wow, that's some real bad-ass power there. Perfect flavor and mechanics for a pyromaniac bent on torching the world. Very balanced, good level to have it arrive.

Conflagration of Renewal: This is an odd DC formula. Generally the DC to resist is 10+class level+chosen ability score modifier. That way, it represents both a character's progression over the course of the class as well as showing off his perfected ability score (otherwise, an extremely tough or charismatic epic-level Apostle would have the same DC as a normal level 16 character with max ranks in Apostle)

I would change it to 10+class level+the Apostle's casting modifier.

Incinerating Eye: This is a pitiful save DC. At 10th level, it's DC is capped at 20. That's about the same DC you can expect from a 4th level spell. I would make it 20+casting modifier, to really represent the power of the capstone.

Class looks great! Hope your PEACHing goes well!

TheGeckoKing
2012-02-05, 09:34 AM
Nice picture.

Prerequisites: You open this class up to clerics and wiz/sorc, but not druids, for some odd reason. Druids are much more fire-based than clerics. (Seriously). Why not offer Know (Nature) 9 ranks as well?

Because druids didn't occur to me, even though they're mentioned in Garyx's writeup. :smallredface:

Also, you should change the spellcasting prerequisite to 3rd or higher level spells, since there's no reason to ban someone if he's dropping fire shield or orb of fire instead of fireball. Finally, when it's attached to a spell, it's called the [fire] descriptor, not the [fire] subtype (that's when it's attached to a creature)

Oh, shows how two words can bugger over a character.

Skills: Dragons are by far most closely linked to sorcerers, and based on the prerequisites, I believe sorcerers are the most likely to take this class (clerics don't get that many fire spells, wizards have better classes to take than blast). So I think you should offer Bluff as a class skill as well, since that's something both sorcerers and dragons are well-known for. Also if you open it up to druids you should obviously add Knowledge (Nature) in as well.

Bluff and Know:Nature added.

Burning Eye: Useful. Flavorful. Not too powerful. However, it's definitely not a melee touch attack. A ranged touch attack would make much more sense.

Melee touch attack? I couldn't possibly know what you mean. :smallbiggrin:

Overwhelming Fire: Epic, awesome, nice. Problem: If you are evil, you get profane bonuses, not sacred bonuses. I would change it to say "You receive a sacred (if you are good or neutral) or profane (if you are evil) bonus to DCs equal to etc etc"

Domain of the Firelord: Very nice. However, it's called a "granted power", not a "domain power".

Gotcha.

Spreading Flames: Wow, that's some real bad-ass power there. Perfect flavor and mechanics for a pyromaniac bent on torching the world. Very balanced, good level to have it arrive.

Glad you like it.

Conflagration of Renewal: This is an odd DC formula. Generally the DC to resist is 10+class level+chosen ability score modifier. That way, it represents both a character's progression over the course of the class as well as showing off his perfected ability score (otherwise, an extremely tough or charismatic epic-level Apostle would have the same DC as a normal level 16 character with max ranks in Apostle)

I would change it to 10+class level+the Apostle's casting modifier.

See, I wanted to the DC to be a bit less clunky, but I guess it's for the best.

Incinerating Eye: This is a pitiful save DC. At 10th level, it's DC is capped at 20. That's about the same DC you can expect from a 4th level spell. I would make it 20+casting modifier, to really represent the power of the capstone.

Again, Smooth DC < Scaling DC it seems.

Class looks great! Hope your PEACHing goes well!

Glad you like it.

Melayl
2012-02-06, 04:44 PM
By Garyx I am empowered! By fire I am glorious! BY MY TALONS, YOU SHALL BURN! - Ixenssissth, High Priest of Garyx

When I first skimmed this, I thought it said Gygax instead of Garyx. I was kind of disappointed to find out I read it wrong...

For Burning Eye, you should list what specific type of action it is: standard, full-round, move, etc. A minor thing, but still.

TheGeckoKing
2012-02-06, 06:44 PM
When I first skimmed this, I thought it said Gygax instead of Garyx. I was kind of disappointed to find out I read it wrong...

Mmmm. You'll need the Dungeon Master Lord PrC in Dungeonscape.

For Burning Eye, you should list what specific type of action it is: standard, full-round, move, etc. A minor thing, but still.

Your nit shall be picked post-haste!

Mulletmanalive
2012-02-07, 07:37 PM
I'm just wondering how come this is a dragon specific class when the Bahamut and Tiamat analogues accept desciples of all races?

Cool class btw, it just seems more attrative an option to humanoids than dragons

TheGeckoKing
2012-02-07, 07:47 PM
I'm just wondering how come this is a dragon specific class when the Bahamut and Tiamat analogues accept desciples of all races?

Cool class btw, it just seems more attrative an option to humanoids than dragons

Eh, Dragontouched is only one feat, and dragons do the nasty with EVERYTHING. I just thought that since it's a Dragon God, his exemplars should be dragon-y people.