PDA

View Full Version : Spell Expertise [DnD 3.5 Feat]

Ammutseba
2012-02-04, 11:26 PM
This was an idea that came to me as a result of a thought on alternate metamagic systems, although it applies to far more than just metamagic. I'm 100% certain that I have much of the wording for this wrong, so I would appreciate a hand with that. This was also mentioned on other forums, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to also post it here.

Spell Expertise
You are so familiar with one of your spells that it becomes a skill for you.
Prerequisites: Able to cast spells, Concentration 4 ranks
Benefit: Choose a spell you know and can cast. If you have multiple classes from which you can cast that spell, choose one of them for the purposes of this feat. You permanently lose one spell slot of the chosen spell's level. Whenever you cast the chosen spell, you can choose to make a Concentration check. Instead of using your Constitution score as the key ability for this check, use the ability score which is used to determine the maximum spell level of spells you can cast in the class that provides the spell for this feat. If the check succeeds, you cast the spell without expending any spell slots. If the check fails, the spell is lost.

By voluntarily increasing the DC of the check for this feat, you can achieve a wide variety of effects for the spell you cast, at the time that you choose to cast the spell. You can choose to apply these effects at the time of the spell's casting even if you normally prepare your spells in advance. The effects that you can provide to a spell in this way, and their commensurate increases in check DC are as follows:

Cast the spell without expending spell slots 5 + caster level + spell level + 4 for each time
you successfully cast the spell this day
Apply a metamagic feat you know to the spell +5 per spell level adjustment of the metamagic
feat
Cast the spell as an immediate action +5, +15 or +20
Cast the spell as a move action +5 or +10
Cast the spell as a standard action +5
Cast the spell as a swift action +10 or +15
Cast the spell without somatic components +10
Cast the spell without verbal components +10
Increase the damage inflicted by the spell +4 per die
Increase the duration of the spell +2 per 1 round or 1 additional increment
Increase the healing provided by the spell +4 per die
Increase the range of the spell +2 per 5 feet or 1 additional increment
Increase the spell's caster level +4 per caster level

If you have this feat for two different spells that share a domain or school, and you have at least 5 ranks of Concentration, you gain a +2 synergy bonus to Concentration checks made when casting those spells and using this feat. Additionally, Concentration is always a class skill for you.

Cast without expending slots: This is the standard use for this skill via the Spell Expertise feat. To apply any other use of the skill and feat to your spell, you will voluntary increase the DC of this use as indicated.

Apply metamagic: You can apply any number of metamagic feat you know to the spell as it is being cast. This does not increase the casting time of the spell and can the metamagic feat can be applied to the spell even you if you normally must apply metamagic feats to your spells when preparing them in advance. You must increase the DC of the check for each metamagic feat you choose to apply to the spell at the time that it is cast.

Cast as an immediate action: If the spell you're casting normally has a casting time of 1 swift action, you can choose to cast the spell as an immediate action by adding 5 to the DC of the Concentration check to cast the spell. If the spell normally has a casting time of 1 standard action, you can reduce its casting time to an immediate action by increasing the DC by 15. If the spell normally has a casting time of 1 round, you can reduce its casting time to an immediate action by increasing the DC by 20. You still can't cast more than 1 spell per round in this way.

Cast as a move action: If the spell you're casting normally has a casting time of 1 standard action, you can choose to cast the spell as a move action by adding 5 to the DC of the Concentration check to cast the spell. If the spell normally has a casting time of 1 round, you can reduce its casting time to a move action by increasing the DC by 10. You still can't cast more than 1 spell per round in this way.

Cast as a standard action: If the spell you're casting normally has a casting time of 1 round, you can instead cast the spell as a standard action by adding 5 to the DC of the Concentration check to cast the spell. You still can't cast more than 1 spell per round in this way.

Cast as a swift action: If the spell you're casting normally has a casting time of 1 standard action, you can choose to cast the spell as a swift action by adding 10 to the DC of the Concentration check to cast the spell. If the spell normally has a casting time of 1 round, you can reduce its casting time to a swift action by increasing the DC by 15. You still can't cast more than 1 spell per round in this way.

Increase damage dealt: If the spell you're casting normally deals hit point damage and the number of dice of damage it deals has reached its maximum (whether this number normally does not change, or is capped based on your caster level), you can add dice of damage to the spell beyond its normal maximum by increasing the check's DC by 4 for each die of damage you wish to add. If a spell does not use dice to determine damage dealt, each increment of 4 you increase the DC by increases the damage dealt by the spell by 1.

Increase spell duration: If the spell you're casting normally has a duration that is not instantaneous, you can increase its duration by 1 round by increasing the check's DC by 2 for each extra round of duration you wish to add. If the spell's duration is described in measurements other than rounds, each increment of 2 you increase the DC by adds one of those measurements, instead (1 hour if the duration is measured in hours, 1 day if the duration is measured in days, and so on).

Increase healing provided: If the spell you're casting normally heals hit points and the number of dice of healing it provides has reached its maximum (whether this number normally does not change, or is capped based on your caster level), you can add dice of healing to the spell beyond its normal maximum by increasing the check's DC by 4 for each die of healing you wish to add. If a spell does not use dice to determine healing provided, each increment of 4 you increase the DC by increases the healing provided by the spell by 1.

Increase spell range: If the spell you're casting normally has a range greater than personal and touch, you can increase its range by 5 feet by increasing the check's DC by 2 for 5 extra feet of range you wish to add. If the spell's range is described in measurements other than feet, each increment of 2 you increase the DC by adds one of those measurements, instead (1 square if the range is measured in squares, 1 mile if the range is measured in miles, and so on).

Increase caster level: You can provide yourself with a +1 bonus to caster level by increasing the check DC by 4 for every bonus caster level you wish to provide yourself in this way. For example, if you are a level 10 wizard and you had Spell Expertise (lightning bolt), you could cast the lightning bolt at an effective caster level of 13 by succeeding on a DC 30 Concentration check, without expending any spell slots (5 + 3 + 10, + 3 extra caster levels). To perform the same trick again, a round later, you would need to succeed on a DC 34 Concentration check, since you had already cast lightning bolt via your Spell Expertise feat once that day.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you do, it applies to a different spell.

It doesn't have to be named Spell Expertise. I would name it something else, but I'm drawing a blank as to another good name for it.

Seharvepernfan
2012-02-05, 03:16 AM
Hmmm.

Giving concentration as a class skill is a bit much. I don't think you'd need to do that.

Under "Cast as an immediate action", you wrote, "You still can't cast more than 1 spell per round in this way." Did you mean this particular spell, by using this feat? That would make sense, but stopping all other spellcasting for the round wouldn't.

I think this is a nice idea, and a fair feat.

Ammutseba
2012-02-05, 06:10 AM
Hmmm.

Giving concentration as a class skill is a bit much. I don't think you'd need to do that.
You really think so? I didn't think it would be a big deal.

Under "Cast as an immediate action", you wrote, "You still can't cast more than 1 spell per round in this way." Did you mean this particular spell, by using this feat? That would make sense, but stopping all other spellcasting for the round wouldn't.

I think this is a nice idea, and a fair feat.
D&D is not my home system, so I'm not familiar with quite all of its details. If it is normal for immediate spells to not hinder other spellcasting in a given round, then I certainly wouldn't want to impose that limitation on top of the feat's other costs. Thank you.

Seharvepernfan
2012-02-05, 06:42 AM
D&D is not my home system, so I'm not familiar with quite all of its details. If it is normal for immediate spells to not hinder other spellcasting in a given round, then I certainly wouldn't want to impose that limitation on top of the feat's other costs. Thank you.

Hmmm, yes you might be right about that. I think I was thinking swift spells.

Studoku
2012-02-05, 07:08 AM
Interesting. Was the increasing DC inspired by Truenaming?

The different casting times system needs work. To start with, virtually no spells have a move action as their casting time. Reducing the casting time to a move action is somewhat OP- allowing you to cast potentially 3 spells per round (standard, move, quickened/swift).

If you keep the casting time reductions, bear in mind that it just becomes a better or worse form of quicken. The same applies to the silent and still spell effects which you've included (though for twice the cost of using the actual feats).

I'll let the regulars here who are better with numbers work out what the numbers should be.

Ammutseba
2012-02-05, 07:21 AM
Hmmm, yes you might be right about that. I think I was thinking swift spells.

I'll need to know whether it's swift or immediate spells that are normally allowed to be cast alongside other spells in a round. After I know, I'll make the appropriate change.

Interesting. Was the increasing DC inspired by Truenaming?
It was, but not via me. It was a suggestion from another person whom I first showed the feat to. He recognized the inherent similarities between the function of Spell Expertise and Truenaming, and recommended that I make the feat work in a way similar to the Law of Resistance.

The different casting times system needs work. To start with, virtually no spells have a move action as their casting time.
I can eliminate that part, then. Easy.

Reducing the casting time to a move action is somewhat OP- allowing you to cast potentially 3 spells per round (standard, move, quickened/swift).
Even though each reduction entry states that it doesn't mean you can cast more than 1 spell per round? (Which, itself, apparently needs work.)

If you keep the casting time reductions, bear in mind that it just becomes a better or worse form of quicken. The same applies to the silent and still spell effects which you've included (though for twice the cost of using the actual feats).
All of these things were intentional.

I'll let the regulars here who are better with numbers work out what the numbers should be.
You've been a great help already. Thank you.

TuggyNE
2012-02-05, 04:44 PM
I'll need to know whether it's swift or immediate spells that are normally allowed to be cast alongside other spells in a round. After I know, I'll make the appropriate change.

Note that immediate actions take up next turn's swift action. Either can be cast alongside other spells; it's common to use Quicken Spell to cast two spells per round (one with a swift action, one with a standard).

Ammutseba
2012-02-05, 05:27 PM
So... is there not actually a rule about how many spells can be cast in a turn? Are the limits soft, and apply only due to there being a limit on the number actions a character can use in one turn?

TuggyNE
2012-02-05, 05:44 PM
So... is there not actually a rule about how many spells can be cast in a turn? Are the limits soft, and apply only due to there being a limit on the number actions a character can use in one turn?

Indeed. Also, there are various high-optimization* ways to get around the soft limits (Planar Shephard with a flowing time plane for ten turns/round, Beholder Mage, Shapechange into a Chronotryn for an extra standard action every round), but it's probably preferable to avoid adding more ways. Being able to quicken spells with a heightened DC as well as casting a spell with the regular standard action should be fine, though.

*If by "high-optimization" you mean "cheese many DMs will ban on sight". :smallwink:

Yitzi
2012-02-05, 05:47 PM
I would very strongly advise against making any sort of skill-based casting without heavy limitations on how the skill can be boosted for the purpose. (This is a large portion of why epic spellcasting is so broken.)

Also, wouldn't Spellcraft make more sense than Concentration?

Ammutseba
2012-02-05, 08:48 PM
Indeed. Also, there are various high-optimization* ways to get around the soft limits (Planar Shephard with a flowing time plane for ten turns/round, Beholder Mage, Shapechange into a Chronotryn for an extra standard action every round), but it's probably preferable to avoid adding more ways. Being able to quicken spells with a heightened DC as well as casting a spell with the regular standard action should be fine, though.

Hmm. It looks like I should just remove the option to cast a move action, then. Spell Haste already has that territory covered. By no means is this a problem, I thought it cluttered it up a bit. Since immediate and swift actions appear to share a unique relationship, should I fold them into a single function of the feat?

I would very strongly advise against making any sort of skill-based casting without heavy limitations on how the skill can be boosted for the purpose. (This is a large portion of why epic spellcasting is so broken.)

Also, wouldn't Spellcraft make more sense than Concentration?

Yeah, but epic casting is also broken because it's stupid-easy to get high checks at epic levels, right? Herein, you could beef the heck out of your Concentration checks, but you can still only ever apply it to the spells you've chosen for your Spell Expertise feats. Also, I hear that costing permanent spell slots is kind of a big deal.

I guess you could build a character around the concept of casting one spell near infinitely, but then you'd be robbing your build of some serious versatility. Perhaps, to this end, I should limit the feat so that you cannot choose spells that can reproduce the effects of other spells? I know the concept can be broken, but then again... so can almost everything. That shouldn't stop material from being created.

Are you sure that paying a feat, losing a spell slot, applying the benefit only to one spell (per feat paid), the ever-increasing checks and the possibility of failing to cast your spells and thus wasting your round do not, as a total, make up for the fact that it's skill-based casting?

Oh, and about Concentration > Spellcraft...

Spellcraft gets used only to identify spells and magic effects, not for holding onto spells through focus, as Concentration does. An effect such as Spell Expertise would require focusing on the spell to apply your aptitude with it, thus Concentration is the skill of choice. Additionally, this choice adds a dimension of usefulness to a skill that is all but an absolute requirement for nearly every spellcaster in the first place. A caster can get by without Spellcraft, but the same trick would be nearly impossible without Concentration. This also makes Arcane Focus and its kin more attractive and thematically appropriate feats, which is nice.