PDA

View Full Version : Jaebrin Bard

Mari01
2012-02-05, 01:44 AM
I'm interested in making a debuffer bard. My question for you all is a two-fer. Any optimization tips? Also using spells like Charm Person/Monster, can I convince an enemy to submit to the Jaebrin's Bite effect. If I word it as "I'm going to help you so don't resist," or something, would the enemy willingly fail the save in that scenario?

Acanous
2012-02-05, 02:39 AM
Pretty sure there's a feat in Libris Mortis that turns bard buffs into debuffs.
As for the second, if you can convincingly roleplay the target willing, it works. also putting them to sleep renders them willing. Don't know if that helps, but it's an interesting little loophole I love to exploit.

kulosle
2012-02-05, 03:51 AM
Its too late to remember names but i'm going to throw them at you so that someone else can tell you where to look for them.
There is a spell in frostburn that gives all allies a huge bonus and all enemies a huge debuff. something like +/- 6 to charisma, +/- 4 to attacks saves and skills.
Another spell makes enemies take 50% more sonic damage. there are ways to make DFI sonic damage.
There is hunting melody i believe frightens enemies and it is a stacking fright i believe so you can cower them with it.
If you go sublime chord you can expand your list to more debuffs.

Coidzor
2012-02-05, 04:53 AM
Haunting Melody from LM causes the shaken condition to people who hear your bardic performance, which does penalize saves, and costs an additional use.

Doomspeak from Champions of Ruin uses bardic music to give an enemy -10 to lots of things for 1 round.

Saintheart
2012-02-05, 08:47 AM
First thing: do not switch out Inspire Courage for the ACF of Inspire Awe unless you are making this a fear build. Party effectiveness with +3, +4 or so to their attacks and damage is monumentally better than a chance at giving the enemy -2 on their attacks (Shaken). If you are aiming for a fear build, your intent is to head towards Dirgesinger from Libris Mortis by way of the feat Haunting Melody. The idea is that fear effects stack: make a shaken opponent shaken again and he flips up into frightened. Shake a frightened opponent and he panics.

Second thing: the Libris Mortis feat is called Requiem -- but all it does is allow your music to affect the undead.

Third thing: if your Perform check is high, consider two spells from the SpC: Fugue (Bard 4) and Sirine's Grace (Bard 4). The first does various things to opponents as a sound burst depending on your Perform check; the second boosts CHA, DEX and Perform checks -- the latter by an untyped +8, which is awesome for bards.

If you're avoiding combat, skip the Snowflake Wardance line of gear and feats until later on. Go for stuff that raises your caster level or bardic music effectiveness.