PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Eladrin Slayer Build

Silma
2012-02-05, 05:36 AM
Hey Playgrounders!!
I have an Eladrin Slayer Feycharger Build wielding a Greatspear, and I'd appreciate any sort of advice. Especially on the choice of Paragon Path.

What I have so far

Race: Eladrin
Class: Slayer
Paragon Path: Mythic Slayer
Epic Destiny: Destined Scion

Starting Attributes
STR: 13
CON: 10
DEX: 16
INT: 18
WIS: 13
CHA: 10

Final Ability Scores
STR: 15
CON: 12
DEX: 26
INT: 28
WIS: 15
CHA: 12

Level 1 Stances
Berserker's Charge
BAttle Fury

Level 1 Feat
Blade Initiate (Multiclass Swordmage)

Level 2 Utility
Eldritch Tactics

Level 2 Feat
Intelligent Blademaster

Level 4 Feat
Eladrin Soldier

Level 6 Utility
Eladrin Escape

Level 6 Feat
Eladrin Swordmage Advance

Level 7 Stances
Mobile Blade

Level 8 Feat
Spear Expertise

Level 10 Utility
Another Day

Level 10 Feat
Surprising Charge

Level 11 Feat
Fey Charge
Retrain Surprising Charge to Inpalling Spear

Level 12 Feat
Feywild Protection

Level 14 Feat
Surprising Charge

Level 16 Utility
Spiral DAnce Assault

Level 16 Feat
Polearm Flanker

Level 17 Stances
Unfettered Fury

Level 18 Feat
Superior Reflexes

Level 20 Feat
Powerful Charge

Level 21 Feat
Polearm Gamble

Level 22 Feat
Fey Shift

Level 24 Feat
Power Attack

Level 26 Feat
Mobile Warrior

Level 28 Feat
Superior Will

Level 30 Feat
Superior Fortitude

So, what do u think?

Adoendithas
2012-02-05, 09:45 AM
You might want the Melee Training feat somewhere in there. It's a Heroic feat from Arcane Power that lets you substitute INT for STR.

tenshiakodo
2012-02-05, 01:20 PM
It depends on what level you begin play, or how liberally your DM allows you to retrain. Starting at level 1, you should take an 18-20 Dexterity and the Melee Training Feat, which allows you to use another stat (you'll want Dexterity) to determine your to hit with melee basic attacks. It only grants half of your Dexterity bonus to damage, but then your Slayer feature kicks in, so with a 20 Dex, you'll be doing +7 damage in melee.

Also, as a side benefit, a 20 Dex would give you +10 damage with a ranged weapon- you'd do well to spend level 1 shooting at enemies with a bow!

If you begin play at level 2, or your DM doesn't mind you overhauling your character somewhat, you can take Multiclass Swordmage, which allows you to take the Feat Intelligent Blademaster. This lets you use your Intelligence for basic melee attacks (and I think thrown weapon attacks), without the penalty of Melee Training. So in this case, you could go 18-20 Int/16-18 Dex. Your damage will be a little better overall- but the more important benefit to this build is the Feat Eladrin Swordmage Advance, which gives you a free melee basic attack whenever you use your Fey Step.

A move action attack once per encounter? Sign me up!

MeeposFire
2012-02-05, 01:30 PM
This kills your nova and your defenses. I would say just taking str and dex is a much better option overall and then you can boost your int enough to pick up swordmage and eladrin swordmage advance.

Eladrin makes a much better knight (with their special knight class abilities just for eladrin) if you want an int based warrior.

Silma
2012-02-05, 07:40 PM
You might want the Melee Training feat somewhere in there. It's a Heroic feat from Arcane Power that lets you substitute INT for STR.

I don't need it. I have Intelligent Blademaster at level 2
Intelligent Blademaster allows me to use my INT Mod on attack AND damage rolls with melee basic attacks. Melee training uses my full INT Mod for Attack rolls, but only half of my Int Mod for damage rolls.

It depends on what level you begin play, or how liberally your DM allows you to retrain. Starting at level 1, you should take an 18-20 Dexterity and the Melee Training Feat, which allows you to use another stat (you'll want Dexterity) to determine your to hit with melee basic attacks. It only grants half of your Dexterity bonus to damage, but then your Slayer feature kicks in, so with a 20 Dex, you'll be doing +7 damage in melee.

Also, as a side benefit, a 20 Dex would give you +10 damage with a ranged weapon- you'd do well to spend level 1 shooting at enemies with a bow!

If you begin play at level 2, or your DM doesn't mind you overhauling your character somewhat, you can take Multiclass Swordmage, which allows you to take the Feat Intelligent Blademaster. This lets you use your Intelligence for basic melee attacks (and I think thrown weapon attacks), without the penalty of Melee Training. So in this case, you could go 18-20 Int/16-18 Dex. Your damage will be a little better overall- but the more important benefit to this build is the Feat Eladrin Swordmage Advance, which gives you a free melee basic attack whenever you use your Fey Step.

A move action attack once per encounter? Sign me up!

I have already taken Eladrin Swordmage Advance and Intelligent Blademaster.
And taking Melee training would reduce my damage by 4 at lever 30
Also with Fey Charge, I can use Fey Step (along with the free mba) during a charge, as many times as I want, as long as I keep hitting.

This kills your nova and your defenses. I would say just taking str and dex is a much better option overall and then you can boost your int enough to pick up swordmage and eladrin swordmage advance.

Eladrin makes a much better knight (with their special knight class abilities just for eladrin) if you want an int based warrior.

Yeah, I thought about that...
But I wanted INT so I could start with 18 without spending too many points.
Plus, It's nice to have a better Arcana and History.
It really does kill my defenses though...
But I don't really see any difference in my nova...

malachi
2012-02-05, 07:49 PM
When you use Fey Charge, you are expending your use of Fey Step, not using Fey Step. This means that anything that triggers off of using Fey Step does not trigger on a Fey Charge.

Errata states :

Fey Charge
Page 143: In the first sentence of the Benefit entry, replace “use” with “expend.” This change clarifies that a character who has Fey Charge is not actually using fey step when making the charge and thus does not gain the benefit of features or feats like Eladrin Swordmage Advance or Fey Gambit. Instead, the power is treated as a resource that is traded for the ability to teleport as part of the charge.
Benefit: When you charge, you can expend your fey step racial power as a free action to replace up to 5 squares of your charge movement with teleportation. If the charge attack hits, you do not expend fey step.

Silma
2012-02-05, 07:54 PM
I knew there had to be a catch...
Damn. :smallmad:

Thanks for showing me malachi.

Mando Knight
2012-02-05, 07:59 PM
Looks about in order to me... except that you should note that Fey Charger no longer stacks with Eladrin Swordmage Advance, and that you're taking a lot of feats that require your Fey Step to be available. I'd recommend diversifying your feat selection a little.

For magic items, look for the Eladrin ring (+2 to teleport distance!) and the Cloak of Translocation (my teleport-spam Assault Swordmage uses one for a near-constant +2 untyped bonus to AC and Reflex).

MeeposFire
2012-02-05, 10:24 PM
Your nova is less because you will not have access to an arcane mba (which allows the use of academy master and related awesomeness) or the use of the martial cross training feat which allows the use of powers like rain of blows with your slayer which really changes the dynamic of your nova.

Also if you went str based you could start with an array of

str 18
con 10
dex 16
int 13
wis 10
cha 8

same accuracy and better fort defense (less will but one defense will be low no matter what).

Silma
2012-02-06, 10:11 AM
I'm making a STR based build right now to compare the two.
My question is: does mba count as an at-will attack?
The problem with a STR based build is the fact that I need a higher WIS. I'll try a fullblade build, but the Greatspear was the basis of my current build.

Edit: Added STR Build

Race:Eladrin
Class: Slayer
Paragon Path: Kensei
Epic Destiny: Destined Scion
Weapon Of Choice: Greatspear

Starting Ability Scores

STR: 16
CON: 10
DEX: 18
INT: 13
WIS: 13
CHA: 8

Final Ability Scores

STR: 26
CON: 12
DEX: 28
INT: 15
WIS: 15
CHA: 10

Level 1 Stances
Berserker's Charge
BAttle Fury

Level 1 Feat
Eladrin Soldier

Level 2 Utility
Eldritch Tactics

Level 2 Feat
Blade Initiate (Multiclass Swordmage)

Level 4 Feat
Eladrin Swordmage Advance

Level 6 Utility
Eladrin Escape

Level 6 Feat
Martial Cross Training (Rain Of Blows)

Level 7 Stances
Mobile Blade

Level 8 Feat
Spear Expertise

Level 10 Utility
Another Day

Level 10 Feat
Powerful Charge

Level 11 Feat
Fey Charge
Retrain Powerful Charge to Impalling Spear

Level 12 Feat
Polearm Flanker

Level 13
Retrain: Martial Cross Training (Rain Of Blows) to Martial Cross Training (Storm Of Blows)

Level 14 Feat
Superior Reflexes

Level 16 Utility
Spiral Dance Assault

Level 16 Feat
Surprising Charge

Level 17 Stances
Unfettered Fury

Level 18 Feat
Feywild Protection

Level 20 Feat
Powerful Charge

Level 21 Feat
Spear Mastery
Retrain: Powerful Charge to Polearm Gamble

Level 22 Feat
Mobile Warrior
Retrain: Surprising Charge to Power Attack

Level 24 Feat
Reaching Whirlwind
Retrain: Martial Cross Training (Storm Of Blows) to Martial Cross Training (Vorpal Tornado)

Level 26 Feat
Superior Will

Level 27
Retrain: Martial Cross Training (Vorpal Tornado) to Martial Cross Training (Cruel Reaper)

Level 28 Feat
Superior Fortitude

Level 30 Feat
Resilient Focus

Ashdate
2012-02-07, 01:44 AM
I'm making a STR based build right now to compare the two.
My question is: does mba count as an at-will attack?

Yes, melee basic attacks (and Ranged Basic Attacks) are at-will abilities (PHB, pg 287). There's a similar listing in the Essentials' books too somewhere. As a side note, this also means they're technically powers too, for whenever that matters.