PDA

View Full Version : [SR4]A few questions

RdMarquis
2012-02-05, 05:42 AM
I've rebuilding my adept as a mage, and I had a few thoughts about contacts.

If a contact is personally and steadfastly loyal to a PC, but is absolutely adamant that he make his own way in the world, what would be his or her loyalty rating? To be more specific, I'm talking about my character's guardian and mentor. He watched my mage leave the nest, and would prefer that he stays out.

On the flip side, what about a contact that the PC personally dislikes, in spite of the contact being well connected and overall supportive (estranged father)? Would my mage's opinion factor into the loyalty rating?

On an unrelated note, what is the best way to simulate an adept's killing hands power with spellcasting? I have the shatter spell right now, but I'm thinking of switching that for the elemental blast aura.

Timeras
2012-02-05, 08:31 AM
If a contact is personally and steadfastly loyal to a PC, but is absolutely adamant that he make his own way in the world, what would be his or her loyalty rating? To be more specific, I'm talking about my character's guardian and mentor. He watched my mage leave the nest, and would prefer that he stays out. I would drop the contact's loyalty by one point or maybe not at all. That depends on where he draws the line between acceptable help and making it too easy for the PC.
Loyalty is not only about how much a contact would help you. It als measures what is required to make hin betray you, for example.

On the flip side, what about a contact that the PC personally dislikes, in spite of the contact being well connected and overall supportive (estranged father)? Would my mage's opinion factor into the loyalty rating?
If the contact doesn't know how the runner thinks about him, this shouldn't have an effect. But remember that these NPCs might come to you for help as well. If you refuse, that will have consequences.

TheOOB
2012-02-13, 11:39 PM
I would talk about those Loyalty ratings with your GM, because their interpretations of the rules are the most important. Generally here is how I see loyalty=

1 = Willing to do business with you, but only loyal so long as it is profitable to them.

2 = Is willing to be minor inconvenienced by you (small loan, hold only a not hot package), won't betray you without good reason(like a lot of money)

3 = An ally Is willing to accept notable inconveniences and take minor risks for you. Will be very difficult to buy off

4 = A real friend, will accept major inconveniences and take notable risks for you. Unlikely to betray you without an extremely good reason.

5 = A close friend and confident. Will drop what they are doing to help you, and will risk anything short of their life for you. Will not betray you unless forced to.

6 = Best friend. Will risk their life for you, will not betray you unless you betray them first.

7+ = Will give their life for you.