PDA

View Full Version : Changing direction of a charge

Helldog
2012-02-05, 07:22 AM
What ways are there for changing direction of your charge? I know of Swashbucklers class feature, but a couple of levels are too much of an investment.

candycorn
2012-02-05, 07:32 AM
Two to three feats can do it.

Here you go (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicCharge).

Helldog
2012-02-05, 07:50 AM
Is there something without psionics?

What I want to do is jump out of cover and charge the enemy before he can react (in the surprise round) to take advantage of his flat-footedness.

candycorn
2012-02-05, 07:54 AM
Probably, but there's not going to be something without SOME investment. That can honestly be done with a character that has 1pp via race or feat, no psionic levels, two feats, and a bit of concentration. No psionic powers or abilities needed.

Jeff the Green
2012-02-05, 07:55 AM
For that in particular, Travel Devotion (CC) is nice. Swift action to move up to your speed, so you could move from behind cover and then charge.

sonofzeal
2012-02-05, 07:59 AM
Martial Study: Sudden Leap fulfills most of the function of Travel Devotion, except:

1) You can use it once per encounter (or once every 5 minutes)

2) It unlocks Martial Stance, which is often worth taking

3) It avoids Complete Champion. I don't touch that book unless I absolutely have to, it's terribly edited and terribly balanced and terribly written and terribly fluffed. It's just plain terrible. I try to forget it exists.

Helldog
2012-02-05, 07:59 AM
But can you move and then charge? I thought that you can either move or charge, just like you can either make a 5-foot step or move.

sonofzeal
2012-02-05, 08:03 AM
But can you move and then charge? I thought that you can either move or charge, just like you can either make a 5-foot step or move.
"Charging is a special full-round action". You can do anything else you want, as long as you still have a full-round action to spend on the charge.

Helldog
2012-02-05, 08:07 AM
So I can 5-foot step from behind my cover and then charge?

sonofzeal
2012-02-05, 08:10 AM
So I can 5-foot step from behind my cover and then charge?
No. While 5-foot-step doesn't consume an action, it specifically prohibits taking it in a round where you're also moving. It's entirely different from charge in how it's worded.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-02-05, 08:30 AM
I think a few levels in Frenzied Berserker (Complete Warrior) gives you a class feature that lets you change direction, but I'm away from my book and can't check. It's either that or Drunken Master (same book), but they both have the issue of taking quite a level investment (and Frenzied Berserker is a TPK in a PrC if your party doesn't have ways to stop your frenzy).

sonofzeal
2012-02-05, 08:34 AM
I think a few levels in Frenzied Berserker (Complete Warrior) gives you a class feature that lets you change direction, but I'm away from my book and can't check. It's either that or Drunken Master (same book), but they both have the issue of taking quite a level investment (and Frenzied Berserker is a TPK in a PrC if your party doesn't have ways to stop your frenzy).
It's Drunken Master.

JackRackham
2012-02-05, 09:10 AM
I think acrobatic charge, the skill trick from complete scoundrel, would cover you needs for the low, low cost of a couple skill points.

Quietus
2012-02-05, 09:12 AM
I like Sonofzeal's suggestion. A single feat, and you can use a swift action once a combat to make a jump check, moving the appropriate distance. That'd let you literally leap from behind cover, and put you in charging position. I don't think that Tiger Claw has any stances in particular that would be useful here, though, unless you want Scent.

Alternatively, a Warblade dip will get you Sudden Leap and a couple other maneuvers, plus one stance from a much larger list.

Helldog
2012-02-05, 09:30 AM
A single feat
Actually, two feats. Sudden Leap has one maneuver as prerequisite.

JackRackham
2012-02-05, 03:22 PM
*i meant Nimble Charge.

Helldog
2012-02-05, 03:32 PM
*i meant Nimble Charge.
Actually, it's Twisted Charge.

hex0
2012-02-05, 04:03 PM
Alternatively, a Warblade dip will get you Sudden Leap and a couple other maneuvers, plus one stance from a much larger list.

Plus a d12 hit die, 4 skills per level, high bab, a good fort save, a bonus to Reflex saves (if you have int 12 or higher). What's not to love? Sometimes a level burns more profit than a feat.

Curmudgeon
2012-02-06, 03:58 AM
If you're a Barbarian, there are lots of charge enhancements available via the Streetfighter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) ACF. You trade damage reduction for this, and pick up another capability at each level where you would normally improve your DR. Level 10 is where you can make a single turn of up to 90 degrees during your charge.