PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Need 1 Level Dip for Scarlet Corsair Build

juicycaboose
2012-02-05, 07:38 AM
Hey guys, i've been planning a build for a 'fearsome pirate' type character i'll be playing.

Already at swashbuckler 2, abilities of note are CHA 14 and DEX 16 (we rolled for stats), feats: wep focus cutlass, TWF.

Current plan from here is

Fighter 1, oversized TWF (want to wield two cutlasses), ACF drow fighter (i'm pretty sure my dm will allow it even though i'm not a drow), Improved Initiative

rogue 3, Daring Outlaw(lvl6feat)

Scarlet Corsair 3, Deadly Precision(lvl9feat)

Fighter 1, improved TWF

Swashbuckler 1, (need level 15 feat here)

Rogue 1

Scarlet Corsair 3, (need level 18 feat here)

So at level 19 i'm SW3/Rogue4/Fighter2/SC10, i've got sneak attack +7d6 and BAB+18

What's a good class to take a single level in?

By the way, i'm not looking for any real optimization or anything here, just a build that matches my roleplaying plans while not being underpowered!

Thank in advance~

T.G. Oskar
2012-02-05, 12:50 PM
Hmm, so going for Int+Dex+SA+TWF for damage?

I'm not sure if your DM will approve Hit-and-Run Tactics (remember, it's for Drow only), so I don't see why you should have Fighter levels. Weapon Focus is a bit bland, unless you're asking for something else in exchange (and IIRC, Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting only requires TWF).

I'd drop the levels in Fighter and go with levels in Dread Pirate (dishonorable). You get TWF for free with them, fits the build (Scarlet Corsair and dishonorable Dread Pirate are both fit for sailor characters), plus you get an extra dice of SA (or if you want to be honorable, a pseudo-IC that grants +1 bonus once per day) and bonuses to Profession (sailor) checks. Dread Pirate is also a full BAB class, which means you get pretty much full BAB (1 less than normal), allows you to fit into Scarlet Corsair pretty easily (the 2nd level class ability is called Fearsome Reputation and you're a Dread Pirate, so you fulfill the special ability just by taking 2 levels in the class), and you get more skill points than you'd get from Fighter. The one big problem is how you're gonna get a ship, but if you're going to make a fearsome reputation as a pirate, you NEED a ship, which means you might have to embezzle someone for it. It makes for a pretty awesome quest, though, and you end up with a nice ship for travel. You also need Quick Draw, which can be used tactically with throwing weapons in case you need to fight in range (or in case you need to shoot with crossbows, as well).

The Imperious Command feat (from Drow of the Underdark) is formidable to exploit the Scourge of the Seas ability, since that means you can cower everyone within 30 ft. and keep them stunned for various rounds (as much as your Charisma allows you, but at least for 1 round); that makes your character a pretty effective debuffer so as long as you don't find enemies immune to fear (which implies you need to get IC as soon as you can).

You might want to check if you can get Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting from the Dread Pirate's TWF ability (it's pretty much the same as with the Ranger), but you can save ITWF merely by getting Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC 105, 8000 gp) which grant Improved TWF if you have TWF, and in any case you're on a heavy load or unable to use the Dread Pirate's TWF, you still have TWF from the gloves.

You may want to consider Ambush feats (Complete Adventurer has Staggering Strike, others are in Complete Scoundrel and Drow of the Underdark), so that your uses of Sneak Attack have some worth as well. Sickening Strike on a shaken creature can definitely be a nice debuff, as sickened and shaken penalties stack, and all you need is to Intimidate them first, then use Sneak Attack later on.

Glimbur
2012-02-05, 12:55 PM
Oskar has good ideas.

If you're attached to your current build, consider a level in Swordsage or Warblade at level 20. Maneuvers are pretty cool.

Randomguy
2012-02-05, 01:11 PM
Don't take any more levels in rogue or swashbuckler, they won't give you anything (Since you've got the SA of a level 7 rogue and that would give you the SA of a level 8 rogue, so it wouldn't improve your sneak attack.

A level in cleric (for whichever deity you've got) or cloistered cleric can get you knowledge and travel devotion, but it doesn't seem to make much sense thematically.

If you like skill tricks, then a level in uncanny trickster wouldn't be too bad.
If you like luck feats, (You've got two open feat slots, you could consider taking some) then a level in fortune's friend wouldn't be too bad.

If you drop a level somewhere, you could take two levels of paladin of freedom and by the pirate paladin of some sort of sea deity. That gets you lay on hands and divine grace. Only if you're chaotic good, of course.

A level in barbarian gets you pounce and frenzy (which you can get instead of rage). This would probably be the best power-wise but also doesn't make too much sense in terms of power.

A level in warblade or swordsage gets you a bunch of maneuvers, and you can even pick the higher level ones. Both kind of fit thematically, too, since warblade is like fighter and swordsage is a bit like rogue.

sreservoir
2012-02-05, 01:54 PM
cleric 1 is always a usable dip. there's even a handbook for it!