PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite monster to play as?

Helldog
2012-02-05, 01:55 PM
I really like the War Troll and Pleasure Devil. Maybe someday I'll have a chance to play a Half-Brachina War Troll.

gkathellar
2012-02-05, 01:57 PM
If I'm chiefly interested in the sheer stupidity factor, Sharn.

Naztharune Rakshasa for fluff.

Manateee
2012-02-05, 02:41 PM
The only non-standard character I've played as was the Paladin's horse. The horse's surprising competence caught most of the group off-guard. I don't know if that counts.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-05, 02:47 PM
I love hobgoblins and I also have a soft spot for Poisondusk Lizardfolks (MM 3)

navar100
2012-02-05, 02:49 PM
Human

Truly the most dangerous race in the multiverse, and they like it that way. They slay dragons, smite demons and devils, unleash great magical power, lead empires, populate faster than most, and shape Nature to their needs.

:smallcool:

hex0
2012-02-05, 02:51 PM
Thri-Kreen hand down. +30 jump, son.

Eldan
2012-02-05, 02:53 PM
I like trickster monsters. Rakshasa, Eladrin, Succubi, the higher Yugoloth, Lillend, fey. All great fun. Also as NPCs.

Otomodachi
2012-02-05, 04:48 PM
Doppelganger, big time. All hail Queen Doppelpopallus!

hisnamehere
2012-02-06, 12:38 AM
I can't say I've had the experience, but revel the chance.

What I'd like to be:
- pureblood yuan-ti ninja, 'cause poison is in my nature; Codename: The Viper.
- wild feral draconic mineral warrior half-minotaur goliath warhulk; 'cause it's the highest consistent Str score I could manage. As an NPC (which is just mean) he's lloth-touched (Str +6 for LA +1, but CE) instead.
- awakened arctic draconic mineral warrior horrid dire badger; 'cause it's the highest consistent Con score I could manage...that's one tough badger.
- tall mouther monk [Monsters of Faerun].
- chameleon creature anything; awesome hide and a ranged touch attack with my tongue equals endless possibilities.
- {illegal} tauric illithid-displacer beast; tentacles aplenty and ranged, reach, and melee might (mind blast, tentacles, and brain extraction, respectively).
- "little dragons"; dragonwrought kobolds with as many dragon feats and dragon grafts, and dragon soulmelds as possible.
- azer monk.
- tauric draegloth giant spider, or dreagloth drider; "<so and so> the Twice-Failed".
- elven starstepper; blue mage or beguiler.
- choker
-

hisnamehere
2012-02-06, 12:40 AM
Edit: Doubled down. Apologies. :smallannoyed:

Curious
2012-02-06, 12:45 AM
I love Linnorms (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/linnorm), and have actually spent quite a bit of time re-arranging their feats and WBL towards more lethal ends. I plan to use a Tor Linnorm with a ring of Accelerate, Imp. and Greater Grapple, and a Dimensional Dervish to utterly destroy some unsuspecting party (in the appropriate game of course). He'll pop in to the middle of the party with his dimension door, full attack some unfortunate bugger, nab someone with his tail attack, teleport back out in the same turn, and continue to constrict him every turn with his extra move action. Devilish to beat, since it never actually stays in the same spot for an entire round, and quite lethal.

Morithias
2012-02-06, 12:55 AM
I really like the War Troll and Pleasure Devil. Maybe someday I'll have a chance to play a Half-Brachina War Troll.

Brachina have level adjustment?

I like the succubus, and the harvester devil. Also the anthropomorphic insects.

Igneel
2012-02-06, 01:50 AM
Any dragons, half-dragon, draconic, etc but lately Pseudodragons have taken up a large number of my characters built. Also Hengeyokai (Sparrow) just for the lolz of being a teenie tiny bird.

Petals [MM3] seem to have a sweet spot for any two-weapon fighting rogue styled characters that gain Dim. Door along with levels in Teflammar Shadowlord for Shadow Pouncing.

Helldog
2012-02-06, 01:51 AM
Brachina have level adjustment?
No, but I play PF so all I need is CR.

BobVosh
2012-02-06, 01:53 AM
Thri-Kreen, Raksasha, and Fairies. So hard to choose a favorite from them.

Raksasha is my least played by far of those three, due to the stupid amounts of LA.

Vknight
2012-02-06, 02:38 AM
Paladins ok but to be serious

I play very often but I have the most fun with my Dragons and other ancient beings. Lots of power but why flaunt it when its the simple fact 1of your servants can destroy that group of adventurers.
So Draconic races and Tieflings are definitely my top 2

Myth
2012-02-06, 08:17 AM
I would play an Unholy Scion if I could find a DM who wouldn't be a complete arse and slam me with steep LA yet allow a Wizard or Cleric to roll just fine in the same group.

Soup
2012-02-06, 08:30 AM
Love Aranea, the whole creepy spider/human hybrid thing speaks to me.

Other than that, werecreatures are a favourite, as are most human/animal hybrid races.

Also, Troglodytes. I've always wanted to play one in a regular game, but the HD/LA is simply redonclulous.

CTrees
2012-02-06, 08:37 AM
Elemental Weirds!

Real answer: Githyanki, with blue goblins as a distant second. Why? Well... I can't really explain it, they're just my favorites.

Other possibles: quicklings, several of the flying fey (grigs, pixies, etc.), wights, beholders, illithids, and lantern archons.

Wings of Peace
2012-02-06, 09:07 AM
I'm fond of sentient and non-hostile (rare I know) Far-Realmers. I didn't play him very long but I once ran a caster named Mr. Owl. Nobody knew if he was from the Far-Realm or just happened to have visited there once. What they did know is that he walked into their establishment and asked if their box had water in it when he wanted to know if they served drinks.

Edit: I also have a weakness for Brownies.

gkathellar
2012-02-06, 09:17 AM
Elemental Weirds!

[watchout]What a fundamentally bizarre choice.[/itsapun]

Curious
2012-02-06, 09:24 AM
[watchout]What a fundamentally bizarre choice.[/itsapun]

Iseewhatyoudidthere. :smallamused:

Acanous
2012-02-06, 09:36 AM
I enjoy Tieflings and Goblins.

big teej
2012-02-06, 10:35 AM
that I've actually had the opportunity to play as?

Ogres.

that I'd like to play as?
a were-bison
a were-boar
a were-bear
a Gulgar
a Tauric creature of my making
a Scorpionfolk

Myth
2012-02-06, 10:49 AM
Wait how are Tieflings a monster race? They are no more monsters than Aasimar or Grey Elves.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-06, 10:50 AM
The best monster I ever played as was a hydra. They were so much fun.

For repeat performances, I like dragon wyrmlings. Nothing says pretentious like being 3 feet tall and thinking you're 30 feet tall.

Solaris
2012-02-06, 10:59 AM

With or without the half-dragon template?

Solaris
2012-02-06, 11:01 AM

WeAreUnity
2012-02-06, 11:31 AM
Gestalt Sorc/Psion Coatl
ironically, the DM let use the paladins horse as a thrall

The Glyphstone
2012-02-06, 11:41 AM

Without. He was only playable as long as his Headband of Intelligence didn't get knocked off.

Alleran
2012-02-06, 12:04 PM
If I'm chiefly interested in the sheer stupidity factor, Sharn.
Why? Is it that create-portal thing they can do?

Me, I like the Illithids. Crafty psionic masterminds, and being one opens up a lovely class that starts with "Illithid" and continues to "Savant" before ending with a DMG to the head.

Telonius
2012-02-06, 12:28 PM
Wait how are Tieflings a monster race? They are no more monsters than Aasimar or Grey Elves.

They're not in the PHB and not a subrace of a PHB race. (Besides that, they have a level adjustment and the Outsider type). I'd consider Aasimar a "monstrous" race, but not Grey Elves since they're a subrace of Elves.

My favorite: Kobolds, with Hobgoblins coming in a close second. I would love doppelgangers if it weren't for the LA + RHD.

FMArthur
2012-02-06, 12:37 PM

How are these not monsters? I think of a monster character as anything that is presented as a monster encounter first in its book and a PC race second. What other definition would you give? Non-humanoids? Tieflings and Aasimar are outsiders just like Succubi and playable devils.

Hbgplayer
2012-02-06, 12:43 PM
Do elves count as monsters? They're in the MM!

gkathellar
2012-02-06, 12:57 PM
Why? Is it that create-portal thing they can do?

When I say "sheer stupidity," I mean "this monster is too powerful to have an LA but for some reason it does." Sharn are Phaerimm on steroids. With an ECL of 9, they get an extra standard action per round and all the abilities of a Cleric 5 (including turn undead and a selection of domains) and a Sorcerer 7 (including a familiar). In addition, for every Hit Die they gain their a +1 increase to either Cleric or Sorcerer spellcasting.

That means a Sharn/Sorcerer 11 has casting somewhere between a Sorcerer 29/Cleric 5 and a Sorcerer 18/Cleric 16. A Sharn/Sorcerer 1/Mystic Theurge 10 gets between Sorcerer 29/Cleric 15 casting and Sorcerer 18/Cleric 26 casting. And of course with LA buyoff, you can reduce your LA from +5 to +4 at 15th level and grab another class level, getting up to Sorcerer 18-31/Cleric 15-28.

Also, since even using them is already in the realm of TO, let's take it a step further: they benefit from continuous haste, have a surplus of caster levels and have good melee abilities, making them a perfect fit for Swiftblade. That brings them up to three standard actions/round. As sorcerers they get to make full use of Arcane Spellsurge and Greater Arcane Fusion, which they can persist easily because of their access to Turn Undead.

Also, they're the only divine spellcasters in the Realms who don't need a god to supply their powers ... although they could worship Mystra and grab her Initiate feat while they were at it, just for good measure.

Metahuman1
2012-02-06, 01:25 PM
When I say "sheer stupidity," I mean "this monster is too powerful to have an LA but for some reason it does." Sharn are Phaerimm on steroids. With an ECL of 9, they get an extra standard action per round and all the abilities of a Cleric 5 (including turn undead and a selection of domains) and a Sorcerer 7 (including a familiar). In addition, for every Hit Die they gain their a +1 increase to either Cleric or Sorcerer spellcasting.

That means a Sharn/Sorcerer 11 has casting somewhere between a Sorcerer 29/Cleric 5 and a Sorcerer 18/Cleric 16. A Sharn/Sorcerer 1/Mystic Theurge 10 gets between Sorcerer 29/Cleric 15 casting and Sorcerer 18/Cleric 26 casting. And of course with LA buyoff, you can reduce your LA from +5 to +4 at 15th level and grab another class level, getting up to Sorcerer 18-31/Cleric 15-28.

Also, since even using them is already in the realm of TO, let's take it a step further: they benefit from continuous haste, have a surplus of caster levels and have good melee abilities, making them a perfect fit for Swiftblade. That brings them up to three standard actions/round. As sorcerers they get to make full use of Arcane Spellsurge and Greater Arcane Fusion, which they can persist easily because of their access to Turn Undead.

Also, they're the only divine spellcasters in the Realms who don't need a god to supply their powers ... although they could worship Mystra and grab her Initiate feat while they were at it, just for good measure.

Is there a way to get Cleric 20/Sorcerer 20 casting on a build for that race?

gkathellar
2012-02-06, 01:53 PM
Is there a way to get Cleric 20/Sorcerer 20 casting on a build for that race?

Yeah, easily. A sharn/sorcerer 5/mystic theurge 6 is sufficient. The casting levels presented for a given build correspond to the maximums you can get if you focus all 11-12 of your increases for extra hit dice on one class, but you can shuffle them around to your will.

Also, note that Sharn get Evasion, which means helps if they want to go for a Fochlucan Lyrist build instead. When I say this race is stupid-powerful, I mean it.

Zeta Kai
2012-02-06, 02:04 PM
When I say this race is stupid-powerful, I mean it.

That's not a race. That's a series of typos.

Gozornplat! See, like that. When you take a million monkeys & put them in front of a million typewriters, a lot of crap comes out. Apparently, the FR department at WotC takes some that output & publishes it. That explains the Sarrukh & the Incantatrix.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2012-02-06, 05:38 PM
Sarrukh & the Incantatrix.The second was atleast not clearly broken in 3.0. Sarrukh: Flavorful and with some minor nerfs, al

Crasical
2012-02-06, 10:27 PM
Goblin, Hengeyokai, Imp.