PDA

View Full Version : Quick British vernacular question

Muz
2012-02-05, 02:52 PM
Just a quick question for any GitPers from the UK (or those familiar with same):

Do the British generally say "stuff?" As in: "When you said that, all this other stuff just came rushing back to me." I'm writing a bit of dialogue, and that line just strikes me as wrong for a Brit based on my own limited familiarity as an American.

The "stuff" in question is rather valued to the speaker, so I don't want a word that has too negative of a connotation (i.e., I wouldn't want to replace "stuff" with "crap").

Thanks!

Dogmantra
2012-02-05, 02:59 PM
Well, I certainly say "stuff" rather often and last time I checked I'd lived in England all my life. Bearing in mind that my frame of reference here is teenagers, though I'm sure plenty of people from all age groups say it.

Mercenary Pen
2012-02-05, 03:06 PM
Yes, we use stuff in that context, or at least some of us do.

Beyond that, it's just a question of whether the word is in keeping with the character in question- for example, some people have perfectly ordinary words that they would just never use, and this isn't a conscious choice, its just the way that words occur to them, for example, they might never use the word however...

Edit: Ouch, multiple 500 errors posting this- but I've fixed the quintuple post.

Mx.Silver
2012-02-05, 03:13 PM
"Stuff" is a pretty normal word to use over here.

Mikhailangelo
2012-02-05, 03:19 PM
I use it quite regularly. Though, I must admit, I probably use the word '****' in that context more often... I am Scottish though, and Gleswegian to boot, so I think that is acceptable.

Comissar
2012-02-05, 03:20 PM
Speaking as a Brit, I use Stuff fairly often.

Muz
2012-02-05, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies! (Now I feel silly for doubting the word.) :smallsmile:

Juggling Goth
2012-02-05, 04:38 PM
I do remember it being the kind of word my English teachers disliked. But I still use it :smallbiggrin:

Goosefeather
2012-02-05, 05:16 PM
Having lived in Scotland, Wales, and the North and South of England, I can confirm that we use the word all the time. You probably wouldn't use it in an academic essay, but for casual conversation it's fine.

Traab
2012-02-05, 05:47 PM
What does the phrase sixes and sevens mean?

Si-on
2012-02-05, 05:56 PM
Apparently sixes and sevens means a state of confusion. As in "It was all sixes and sevens. I didn't know what was happening."
I am British and I have never used it personally and I don't recall ever hearing anyone else use it.

Objection
2012-02-05, 06:05 PM
I am British and I have never used it personally and I don't recall ever hearing anyone else use it.

This regarding the "sixes and sevens" phrase. As for using stuff in that particular context or a similar context, I can confirm (as if the people above me haven't already) that that does happen.

Traab
2012-02-05, 06:23 PM
Apparently sixes and sevens means a state of confusion. As in "It was all sixes and sevens. I didn't know what was happening."

Maybe its a regional thing? For example, I live in Ct, and im sure there are phrases in texas that ive never used and only barely heard of.

Mx.Silver
2012-02-05, 07:45 PM
Honestly, I think it's probably just fallen out of use in the current generations. I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone use it, outside of referencing to the various songs and albums named after the phrase (which, somewhat counter-intuitively, tend to be made by Americans).

Goosefeather
2012-02-05, 11:16 PM
It's one of those phrases I'm aware of from literature, but have never heard anyone actually use out loud. I agree that it's probably simply fallen out of use - I don't think it's a particularly regional expression, as far as I'm aware.

Juggling Goth
2012-02-06, 02:29 AM
"All at sixes and sevens" is pretty archaic and cliched. It's about as likely as hearing someone actually say it's "raining cats and dogs".

Objection
2012-02-06, 03:34 AM
"All at sixes and sevens" is pretty archaic and cliched. It's about as likely as hearing someone actually say it's "raining cats and dogs".

Actually I do still hear "raining cats and dogs".

Feytalist
2012-02-06, 04:13 AM
Actually I do still hear "raining cats and dogs".

And I hear "at sixes and sevens" on occasion as well. Mostly from older folk, though. Not a Brit, but part of the Commonwealth, so it still counts.

Ashtagon
2012-02-06, 04:28 AM
What does the phrase sixes and sevens mean?

The history of the phrase originates from the tailors guild and the haberdashers guilds of medieval London, who were alternately number 6 and number 7 in the ranking of how wealthy or whatever it was they ranked guilds by bank in the day.

You're really really unlikely to meet anyone under the age of 60 or under the social class of upper class twit using it.

Totally Guy
2012-02-06, 04:31 AM
I haven't heard "Well blow me!" (the shortened form of "Well blow me down with a feather!") in ages.

I must reintroduce it to common usage for trolling purposes.

Heliomance
2012-02-06, 05:36 AM
I would note that "stuff", while in common usage, is certainly very informal. It might carry (very mild) connotations of not valuing whatever he's talking about all that much, but that's the kind of thing that would likely only be picked up on by those annoying reviewers who read far too much into everything and ignore authorial intent entirely.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-02-06, 07:46 AM
If you have questions about British phrases, I can do no better that suggest that you try World Wide Words (http://www.worldwidewords.org/genindex.htm), which covers a huge number of phrases, including:

At Sixes and Sevens (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-six1.htm)
Raining Cats and Dogs (http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rai1.htm)

STsinderman
2012-02-06, 08:40 PM
You are correct to assume that stuff has connotations of a low value, generic and replaceable group of items. It can also come down to dialect, as it is in some areas very informal and considered poor English.

Weezer
2012-02-06, 11:09 PM
I haven't heard "Well blow me!" (the shortened form of "Well blow me down with a feather!") in ages.

I've heard that used recently, but not as a short form of the phrase you mentioned, rather using the more sexual connotation of 'blow'.

Heliomance
2012-02-07, 05:28 AM

I occasionally use the variant "I'll be blowed".

JuanCudz
2012-02-07, 09:43 AM
If you don't like 'stuff' you could try 'bits and bobs' instead

Objection
2012-02-07, 11:14 AM
If you don't like 'stuff' you could try 'bits and bobs' instead

Or 'odds and sods'.

Etcetera
2012-02-07, 11:16 AM

I thought it was "knock me down with a feather"?

Sonza
2012-02-07, 12:53 PM
I assume this would be in the context "keep your hands off my stuff" or "where can I keep my stuff safe".

I wouldn't use 'bits and bobs' in this case, (or 'odds and sods' for that matter), given that the 'stuff' in question was supposed to be important to the speaker. 'Bits and bobs' implies trivial things.

TheThan
2012-02-07, 01:43 PM
I've heard the phrase "well blow me down!". My understanding is that it mean's your shocked and stunned by something.

How about the word "flabbergast" or ("flabbergasted" if past tense)? anyone ever use it?

Mx.Silver
2012-02-07, 02:33 PM
I've heard the phrase "well blow me down!". My understanding is that it mean's your shocked and stunned by something.

How about the word "flabbergast" or ("flabbergasted" if past tense)? anyone ever use it?

I do, but I'm hardly normal when it comes to word usage.

Dr. Bath
2012-02-07, 03:25 PM

It's always flabbergasted. Past present and future.

Goosefeather
2012-02-07, 04:16 PM
It's always flabbergasted. Past present and future.

Nope, 'to flabbergast (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flabbergast)' is a valid active verb. You just usually hear it in the passive, 'to be flabbergasted' - hence as a past participle acting as an adjective.

Yora
2012-02-07, 04:29 PM
Is it a brittish or an american thing to say "ah tall". I always hear people saying "ah tall", and can't remember anyone who actually says "at all".

I love English English (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPH0tYXJrA#t=10s), though. :smallbiggrin:

Muz
2012-02-07, 04:58 PM
Is it a brittish or an american thing to say "ah tall". I always hear people saying "ah tall", and can't remember anyone who actually says "at all".

I love English English (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgPH0tYXJrA#t=10s), though. :smallbiggrin:

Here in Seattle (or elsewhere), I've never heard someone say "ah tall" at all, actually.

Goosefeather
2012-02-07, 06:44 PM

In this context, I pronounce the 'a' of 'at' as a schwa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa), as do most other Brits I know. 'Ah tall' sounds really weird to me.

Weezer
2012-02-07, 06:52 PM

I've never heard anyone speak like that before (New Englander here), people here say it "at all", but perhaps I'm reading your transcription wrong.

Aneurin
2012-02-07, 07:08 PM
"Ah tall" is more common, I think. Enunciation is changing, I think, but to some extent it's still a regional thing, and the change is more pronounced in some places than others.

Xondoure
2012-02-07, 11:36 PM
Just a quick question for any GitPers from the UK (or those familiar with same):

Do the British generally say "stuff?" As in: "When you said that, all this other stuff just came rushing back to me." I'm writing a bit of dialogue, and that line just strikes me as wrong for a Brit based on my own limited familiarity as an American.

The "stuff" in question is rather valued to the speaker, so I don't want a word that has too negative of a connotation (i.e., I wouldn't want to replace "stuff" with "crap").

Thanks!

The thing with dialects is from a non linear non subjective viewpoint language is more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, speaky weaky... stuff.
Yes all of my knowledge about UK dialects comes from BBC.

Yora
2012-02-08, 06:56 AM
"Ah tall" is more common, I think. Enunciation is changing, I think, but to some extent it's still a regional thing, and the change is more pronounced in some places than others.

Maybe this is something you only notice when you're accustomed to a different way of how words should be spoken an written. Fascinating idea.

Aedilred
2012-02-08, 08:46 AM
I think I know what you mean - quite often, the way it's pronounced could make it sound like there's a juncture loss going on. Now that I think about it (though have no observational evidence to demonstrate) that the same thing happens quite a lot when "at" is followed by a vowel; it's just that "all" is particularly common.

It's an ease-of-pronunciation measure, I think, like a verbal ligature. Enunciating the "at" separately from the "all" is rather more difficult and time-consuming, and becomes awkward when you're speaking quickly. So the two run together and the distinction is partially lost, although everyone still knows what you mean (and would always write "at all", at least as far as I know :smalleek:)

The misspelling "alot" (for "a lot") is quite common over here for what I suspect is a similar reason - the two are rarely enunciated separately.