PDA

View Full Version : Long Duration spells that allow you to hide

Master Thrower
2012-02-05, 07:36 PM
Hey playground, I'm playing a 5th level gnome illusionist, under a permanent reduce person, which base gives me a +12 to hide, I'm using the shadow shaper variant which gives me hide as a class skill, and Int to my hide checks,

So my big question now is are there any spells, or items I could use that would allow me to use my hide check, which is around + 28ish.

Edit: Preferably with a long duration, so I can cast it out of combat

dextercorvia
2012-02-05, 07:42 PM
Anything that offers concealment. Clouds, Mist, Fog, etc. Invisibility, and its older brothers. Swiftblade's Haste grants them concealment at a certain point.

I think there is a weapon enhancement that grants concealment -- Smoking, IIRC.

Chronos
2012-02-06, 02:10 AM
Blur is another good option. And there are also feats and items you can pick up that'll work, too.

Dragon Star
2012-02-06, 03:21 AM
Blur is another good option. And there are also feats and items you can pick up that'll work, too.

Blur is the answer. Oddly enough, it lets you hide in plain sight. Don't try to think about how illogical that is, just use it. There is an armor enchantment that either grants permeant blur or 3/day blur, I think in Complete Adventurer. Get that on your armor (or on a piece of clothing if you don't wear armor) and go to town. And/or just get a wand of blur and cast it before every battle. And/or get a ring of invisibility. And/or get the Hide in Plain Sight class feature from somewhere.

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-06, 03:43 AM
Blur is the answer. Oddly enough, it lets you hide in plain sight. Don't try to think about how illogical that is, just use it. There is an armor enchantment that either grants permeant blur or 3/day blur, I think in Complete Adventurer. Get that on your armor (or on a piece of clothing if you don't wear armor) and go to town. And/or just get a wand of blur and cast it before every battle. And/or get a ring of invisibility. And/or get the Hide in Plain Sight class feature from somewhere.

This is incorrect. Cover/concealment is not enough because of this clause from the Hide Skill:

If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide. You can run around a corner or behind cover so that you’re out of sight and then hide, but the others then know at least where you went.

If your observers are momentarily distracted (such as by a Bluff check; see below), though, you can attempt to hide. While the others turn their attention from you, you can attempt a Hide check if you can get to a hiding place of some kind. (As a general guideline, the hiding place has to be within 1 foot per rank you have in Hide.) This check, however, is made at a -10 penalty because you have to move fast.

This is what stops you from standing in front of someone and hiding without Hide in Plain Sight.

@OP: You may want to dip a level of Shadowdancer if you can meet the prerequisites.

Psyren
2012-02-06, 08:30 AM
Blur is the answer. Oddly enough, it lets you hide in plain sight.

Nope - it lets you hide, but not "in plain sight," i.e. if you're being watched.

Thurbane
2012-02-06, 09:34 AM
Maybe not in the spirit of the OP, but Rope Trick.

Ravens_cry
2012-02-06, 11:07 AM
Maybe not in the spirit of the OP, but Rope Trick.

Definitely my thought as well. You are out of sight, you can cast spells and unlike invisibility, can't be invisibility purged. It also lasts long enough to be used as a spell preparatory bolt-hole almost as soon as you get it. The one downside is you can't move to another location while remaining in the cloud, I think.

ericgrau
2012-02-06, 12:38 PM
I think he wants something up all day so he can use it in combat. Climbing the rope is a pain. Twilight mithril shadow armor. +5 hide. A little pricey at level 5 though, but soon it'll be affordable. Then again I dunno how he afforded a permanency.

These are all the spells I could find:
spiderskin (SpC, racial +1, scales to +5), it's a wizard spell
camouflage (SpC, circumstance + 10), but it's a druid spell
chameleon (enhancement +10), but it's a psionic power

You might also consider spells like nondetection to stop scrying and veil for a disguise.

gorfnab
2012-02-06, 05:35 PM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis from Tome of Magic

Chronos
2012-02-06, 06:34 PM
Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis from Tome of MagicThat gives you Hide in Plain Sight, but technically doesn't give you concealment. This might be an oversight on the part of the writers, since everything else that gives HiPS either gives concealment, removes the need for concealment, or has as a prerequisite some other ability that gives or removes the need for concealment.

It's really the concealment (or removal of the need thereof) that's the more important ability, anyway, since if you stay hidden all day, you'll start each encounter hiding, and hence nobody will observe you.

Psyren
2012-02-06, 06:55 PM
You can combine the Collar with just about any other item that grants concealment, however, e.g. continuous item of Blur/Concealing Amorpha.

gorfnab
2012-02-06, 07:52 PM
The Collar can also be combined quite nicely with the feat Darkstalker from Lords of Madness.