PDA

View Full Version : How best to use the Sohei theme.

IcemanJRC
2012-02-05, 08:13 PM
So I've got to make a character for a heavy RP, level 7, feywild campaign here on the forums and was looking at the character ideas. I'm really liking the Sohei theme, but I can't figure out what to do with it. So I decided I'd ask, what would work best either mechanically or flavorfully.

Surrealistik
2012-02-05, 08:39 PM
Rangers, frost cheese, anything that stacks a lot of damage roll bonuses to fully exploit the extra minor action attack it gives you.

tcrudisi
2012-02-06, 02:30 AM
All melee strikers (Avenger works really well since they have some few non-standard action attacks, Rogue, Ranger, Barbarian), Fighters since it lets them mark another monster, and pretty much anyone who uses a weapon and wants to get a small nova going, although really it works best for melee strikers.

ghost_warlock
2012-02-06, 09:24 AM
My girlfriend is playing a character with the sohei theme for the Spelljammer game we're playing in. She seems to really enjoy the extra bit of smacking monsters around. Here's her current set-up.

Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder
Amoura, level 8
Human, Fighter (Weaponmaster)
Fighter Option: Combat Superiority
Fighter Talents Option: One-handed Weapon Talent
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Ref: 20 Will: 20
HP: 77 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Endurance +8, Heal +11, Intimidate +8, Perception +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +4, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +6, History +4, Insight +8, Nature +6, Religion +4, Stealth +4, Streetwise +3, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sohei Attack: Sohei Flurry
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack 1: Footwork Lure
Fighter Attack 1: Tide of Iron
Fighter Attack 1: Passing Attack
Fighter Attack 1: Comeback Strike
Endurance Utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Fighter Attack 3: Rain of Blows
Fighter Attack 5: Nimble Bladestorm
Fighter Utility 6: Ignore Weakness
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise
Level 1: Battering Shield
Level 2: Encouraging Shield
Level 4: Berserker's Fury
Level 6: Resilient Focus
Level 8: Polearm Momentum

ITEMS
Imposter's Drakescale Armor +2 x1
Collar of Recovery +1 x1
Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (heroic tier) x1
Guardian's Whistle
Potion of Elven Fleetness
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Javelin
Headband of Perception (heroic tier) x1
Instant Campsite
Goblin Totem Spear +2 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Trail Rations
End

She usually uses Sohei Flurry after either Rain of Blows, or after knocking a creature prone with the Footwork Lure + Battering Shield + Polearm Momentum combo. :smallcool:
Also, the extra square of forced movement from Battering Shield is really handy when we're fighting on the deck of our ship and she wants to shove a monster overboard. Pirates of the Astral Sea, y'arr! :smallbiggrin:

IcemanJRC
2012-02-07, 05:29 PM
Hm... Thank you very much everybody. I'll see what I come up with, I'm thinking either a pretty vanilla ranger build or perhaps some polearm shenanigans. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chambers
2012-02-10, 06:58 PM
This may be relevant to your interests. (http://www.robertjschwalb.com/2011/02/sohei-a-go-go-part-532/) Direct Link to pdf here. (http://www.robertjschwalb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Sohei022011.pdf) It's only done through Heroic tier, but that should be enough for some games.