PDA

View Full Version : Pack Tactics (Fighter Alternative Base Class, PEACH)

Kane0
2012-02-05, 09:08 PM
Since there are plenty of really good fighter fixes out there, i thought i'd take a different spin on the front-line, like the barbarian or gladiator. My take was a disciplined 'fighter' with a focus on fighting alongside allies as opposed to being unkillable or the wilderness warrior flavor, while not locking the player into a certain fighting style (like sword and board). He is also a little more skilled than a fighter, because it was just plain lacking.

The Legionnaire

The Legionnaire is a front line warrior. He stands toe to toe with his enemies and trades blows that would kill lesser men in seconds. His fighting ability is derived almost entirely from discipline, training and physical prowess. The Legionnaire is a capable combatant in his own right but his true strength lies in teamwork. A Legionnaire fighting alongside allies fights far more effectively than as an individual, and gains many tricks and talents from his years of training. Although the Legionnaire does not learn feats as fast as the fighter, he does have a bunch of other abilities that he picks up during his career.

Starting Age: As Fighter
Starting Gold: As Fighter
Alignment: Any, but more lawful than chaotic

HD: d10
Skills per level: 4 + int
Class Skills: Acrobatics (3.5= Balance & Jump), Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Know (Engineering, Dungeoneering, Local, History), Perception (3.5= Listen & Spot), Profession, Survival, Swim
Proficiencies: All Simple & Martial weapons, All armor and shields

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1th | +1 |+2 | +0 | +1 | Fighter Bonus Feat, Weapon Aptitude, Coordinated Strike +1d6
2th | +2 |+3 | +0 | +1 | Armor Familiarity, Scathing Blow
3th | +3 |+3 | +0 | +2 | Group Combat, Mettle
4th | +4 |+4 | +1 | +2 | Magical Aid (2nd), Coordinated Strike +2d6
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +3 | Fighter Bonus Feat, Legion Armor Training I
6th | +6/+1 |+5 | +1 | +3 | Legion Representative
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +3| Improved Group Combat, Coordinated Strike +3d6
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +4| Requisition
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +2 | +4 | Fighter Bonus Feat, Legion Armor Training II
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +5 | Tight Fighting, Coordinated Strike +4d6
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +5 | Magical Aid (4th), Cushioned Armor
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +3 | +6 | Improved Armor Familiarity, Improved Mettle
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +6 | Fighter Bonus Feat, Legion Armor Training III
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +6 | Greater Group Combat
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +4 | +7 | Legion Weapon Training
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +7 | Legion's Authority, Coordinated strike +5d6
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +8 | Fighter Bonus Feat, Legion Armor Training IV
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +5 | +8 | Magical Aid (6th), Improved Cushioned Armor
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +9 | Improved scathing blow, Coordinated Strike +6d6
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +9 | Legionnaire Extraordinaire, Fighter Bonus Feat
[/table]

Special Abilities:
Weapon Aptitude:
See the Warblade ability of the same name.

Coordinated Strike:
A Legionnaire can land strikes much better when fighting with allies, dealing extra damage against foes in combat with an ally adjacent to him. This ability improves as he gains levels.

Scathing Blow:
When a Legionnaire of level 2 or higher fails to hit his target's ac with a melee attack by 4 or less he still deals minimum possible damage.

Armor Aptitude:
At level 2 a Legionnaire takes no penalty for extended use of (& sleeping in) medium armor, and lessens his total armor check penalty by 2.

Group Combat:
At level 3 a Legionnaire gains double the normal bonus from flanking as well as the hold the line and set for charge actions.

Mettle:
At level 3 a Legionnaire gains the Mettle special ability, but it only works for fortitude saves.

Magical Aid:
At level 4 a Legionnaire can use pseudo-magical rituals and incantation to mimic a spells that aid him in combat. Each time he gains this ability he chooses two spells of the indicated spell level or lower. He can cast these two spells each twice per day as spell like abilities. This spell must directly enhance the Legionnaire's fighting capability and he can only target himself with these spells. (ie. Self buffs only). These spells do not incur a chance of Arcane Spell failure due to equipment.

Legion Armor Training I:
At level 5 a legionnaire gains greater protection out of his armor than other users. He gains 25% fortification when in heavy armor.

Legion Representative:
At level 6 a Legionnaire gains +2 to diplomacy and gather information checks.

Improved Group Combat:
At level 7 a Legionnaire gains +2 to attack, AC and saves when fighting adjacent to 2 or more allies

Requisition:
At level 8 a Legionnaire negotiates 10% better prices with merchants that deal with the Legion.

Legion Armor Training II:
At level 9 a Legionnaire gains 50% fortification when in heavy armor and 25% fortification in medium armor.

Tight Fighting:
For a level 10 Legionnaire allies count as adjacent when in your space (and vice versa when you are in their space), and you take no penalty for fighting in the same space as allies (but they still do).

Cushioned Armor:
When wearing armor, a level 11 a Legionnaire reduces falling damage by 1 point per two character levels.

Improved Mettle:
At level 12 A Legionnaire gains the Improved Mettle special ability, but with the same restriction as Mettle (only fortitude saves)

Improved Armor Familiarity:
At level 12 a Legionnaire takes no penalty for extended use of (& sleeping in) heavy armor, and lessens his total armor check penalty by another 2.

Legion Armor Training III:
At level 13 a Legionnaire gains 75% fortification when in heavy armor, 50% fortification in medium armor and 25% fortification in light armor.

Greater Group Combat:
At level 14 a Legionnaire grants +2 to attack, ac and saves to allies fighting adjacent to him

Legion Weapon Training:
At level 15 a Legionnaire gains +4 bonus to all combat maneuvers (trip, sunder, etc. Not ToB maneuvers)

Legion's Authority:
At level 16 a Legionnaire gains a +2 bonus to all skill checks regarding the Legion (Knowledge, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Profession, etc regarding Opponents, Allies, Suppliers, etc).

Legion Armor Training IV:
At level 17 a Legionnaire gains 100% fortification when in heavy armor, 75% fortification in medium armor and 50% fortification in Light Armor.

Improved Cushioned Armor:
At level 18 the damage reduced by the Cushioned armor ability now applies to any blunt force damaging the Legionnaire (Bludgeoning weapons, Force attacks, Getting Trampled, etc)

Improved Scathing Blow:
The Legionnaire's Scathing Blow ability improves to any failure to hit due to AC (excluding rolling a 1 on the attack roll), and deals half damage instead of minimum damage.

Legionnaire Extraordinaire:
At level 20 a Legionnaire is the prime example of discipline, determination and coordination. The Legionnaire gains special privileges within the Legion (and probably rank. This is purely fluff and RP). When adjacent to two or more allies in combat, both the Legionnaire and his adjacent allies are immune to being moved by foes (unless willing) and gain +5ft reach with melee weapons. In addition, the Legionnaire can make a full attack as a standard action instead of a full-round action.

So there you have it folks, my obligatory 'Fighter Fix'. PEACH away!

Edit: Altered abilities slightly and reworded a few things.

TuggyNE
2012-02-06, 03:20 AM
This seems fairly solid on the whole, very nicely put together. I do have a few notes, though, and hopefully someone else can more closely examine overall balance.

Class Skills: Acrobatics (3.5= Balance & Jump), Climb, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Know (Engineering, Dungeoneering, Local, History), Perception (3.5= Listen & Spot), Profession, Survival, Swim

I would assume Craft should be in the list, as a legionnaire should be able to at least make simple mundane repairs to their gear. Probably not a big deal though. Other than that it looks reasonable enough.

Coordinated Strike:
A Legionnaire can land strikes much better when fighting with allies, dealing extra damage against foes in combat with an ally adjacent to him. This ability improves as he gains levels.

Not too sure why +5d6 is delayed from level 13 to level 16.[/quote]

Legion Armor Training IV:
At level 17 a Legionnaire gains 100% fortification when in heavy armor, 75% fortification in medium armor, 50% fortification in Light Armor and 25% fortification in clothing.

The clothing bit seems a little excessive (and also, probably, unnecessary), but otherwise this line doesn't seem too bad.

Anyway, good work! This is much more focused than the usual fighter, and pretty much all its abilities (except perhaps magical aid) are entirely justified by its fluff. :smallsmile:

Kane0
2012-02-06, 06:02 AM
Aha craft i knew i was missing a skill, thanks

I delayed 5d6 for two reasons, one being that i didt want to finish the progression with an odd number (7d6) and at level 13 ge already gets two abilities, and he never gets more than two in a level.

Hmm yeah in hindsight clothing is a bit much, ill keep it to armor in that case. I was also consodering giving the option of choosing the armor you want most fortified but that seems largely unnesessary.

The primary reason i game him magical aid was to be a little more self sufficient in terms of buffs without relying on potions. This way he can get his own damn haste, bulls strength, heroism and stoneskin!

Thanks for your input!

Kane0
2012-02-07, 05:25 PM
Update: Balance and abilities. Should be a little more user friendly and capable now. Also skills dont narrow it into combat-only areas.

Kane0
2012-03-22, 08:29 PM
Few more tweaks and a bump for good measure before a friend of mine tests this out (hopefully).

Last minute PEACH welcome!

Tanuki Tales
2012-03-22, 09:08 PM
So...does this class only get Diplomacy when it is reverted to 3.5 or does it get all the skills Diplomacy absorbed as well?

Kane0
2012-03-22, 10:32 PM
Hmm, thats a good question.

If I were reverting it id say just he gets gather information too, but thats just me. Is there any others that became part of Diplomacy?

Tanuki Tales
2012-03-22, 11:24 PM
Hmm, thats a good question.

If I were reverting it id say just he gets gather information too, but thats just me. Is there any others that became part of Diplomacy?

Nevermind, just Gather Info. I sometimes forget which parts are core rules and which parts are my group's injokes. :smalltongue:

Kane0
2012-06-05, 11:30 PM
Tweaked things and added the Scathing Blow and Improved Scathing Blow abilities.

Let me know what you think!