PDA

View Full Version : (PEACH) The Kineticist: Recently Renovated! Blaster/Skillmonkey, 3.5

Decatus
2012-02-05, 10:43 PM
Kineticist
Hit Die: d6
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Energy Lash +1d8, Trapfinding, Primary Energy

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Elemental Flux, Energetic Body

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Energy Lash +2d8, Energy Bolts, Energy Shape 1

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Energetic Weapons

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Energy Lash +3d8, Energy Shape 2

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Elemental Shield, Energetic Effects

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Energy Lash +4d8, Energy Shape 3

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Energetic Travel, Energy Aura

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Energy Lash +5d8, Energy Shape 4

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Greater Energetic Body

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Energy Lash +6d8, Energy Shape 5

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Energetic Builder

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Energy Lash +7d8, Energy Shape 6

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Elemental Death

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Energy Lash +8d8, Energy Shape 7

16th|
+12/+8/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Energy Mastery

17th|
+12/+8/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Energy Lash +9d8, Energy Shape 8

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Energy Admixture

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Energy Lash +10d8, Perfect Energy Shape

20th|
+15+/10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Absolute Energy[/table]

Skill Points per Level: 6 + INT mod (6+ INT mod @ 1st)
Class Skills: Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (psionics), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Psionic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow and short sword. Kineticist's are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Trapfinding At 1st level, the Kineticist gains Trapfinding, as a Rogue.
This is mostly because the class is meant to play as a scout/striker character in game, and a partial skill monkey.

Primary energy
At the beginning of each day, the Kineticist chooses one type of energy from the following list: Acid, Cold, Fire, Electricity. Sonic becomes available at 6th level. This primary energy determines the type of damage that the Kineticist's abilities inflict, as well as the effects of several other class abilities. Lastly, the Kineticist is never hurt or damaged in any way by her own effects.

Energy Lash
A Kineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of energy from unstable ectoplasm as a move-equivalent action. The Kineticist must choose an element from the following list at character creation, and that is the type of energy her lash is made of: Acid, Cold, Fire, Electricity. She takes no damage from an energy lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates.
The lash deals (1d8 + 1 per Kineticist level + Cha Bonus, +1d8 points of damage for every 2 levels above 1st) points of damage to a target within 15 feet on a successful ranged touch attack. This does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity. A Kineticist can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if she otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the energy lash, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip. The whip remains in existence as long as the Kineticist holds it. An elemental Lash sheds light as a torch.

Elemental Flux
At 2nd level, the Kineticist is able to use and blend different types of energy. In addition to her Primary Energy, the Kineticist may also use an addition types of energy to deal damage. She may switch between energy types as a free action, and may choose from the following list: Acid, Cold, Fire, Electricity. Sonic energy becomes available at 6th level.
At 2nd level, the Kineticist may use her primary energy, and one additional type, also chosen during the start of the day. For every 2 levels above 2nd level, the Kineticist may choose and use one additional type of energy, to a total of 5 at 12th level.

Energetic Body
At 2nd level the Kineticist's body begins to resonate with the energies they harness. She gains Energy Resistance equal to (1 + Kineticist Level) to the energies she is currently using (be they from her Primary Energy or Energetic Flux abilities).

Energy Bolts
At 3rd level, in addition to forming a whip, a Kineticist may fire off bolts of energy at his enemies. This is a ranged attack with a range of 60 feet. Each hit deals the same amount of damage as his Elemental Lash. For the purposes of extra attacks, treat this as a thrown weapon attack.

Energy Shape:
Over the course of her career, the Kineticist gains a slew of abilities to destroy her foes. They are all detailed here. The Save DC will always be (10 + Kineticist Level + CHA mod) unless otherwise noted.

Energy Shape 1: The Kineticist may, as a Standard action, fire a 15 ft. Cone of Burst effect. This effect deals damage as her Lash, but creatures may make a Reflex Save to take half damage. The Burst effect must be centered on the Kineticist.

Energy Shape 2: The Kineticist may, as a Standard Action, fire a 30 ft. line of her chosen element. Creatures effected may make a Reflex Save for half damage. In addition, the Kineticist may shape her Cone or Blast to avoid hitting her allies.

Energy Shape 3: The Kineticist's Energetic Bolt becomes a grenade like weapon. She still makes a normal Ranged Attack, but every creature within 5' of the target also takes damage equal to ˝ the Kineticist's level. She may shape this explosion to avoid her allies.

Energy Shape 4: The Kineticist's Burst and Cone effects increase to 30'. Her Line effect increases to 60'. n addition, each enemy affected by the Splash damage must also make a save against the Energetic Effect carried by the Bolt.

Energy Shape 5: The Kineticist's Grenade effect now reaches to every creature within 10' of the targeted enemy. In addition, her Energetic Effects now last for 1d6 rounds, or half that on a successful save.

Energy Shape 6: The Kineticist's Burst and Cone effects increase to 40'. Her Line effect increases to 90'.

Energy Shape 7: The Kineticist may, as a Full Attack Action, make one Lash attack against every enemy that she can reach. She may not attack enemies in any sort of Cover with this action.

Energy Shape 8: The Kineticist's Burst and Cone effects increase to 50'. Her Line effect increases to 120'.

Perfect Energy Shape: At this level, the Kineticist is able to shape her energies to perfection.Her Burst and Cone effects increase to 60', and her Line effect increases to 150'. In addition, her Burst ability no longer needs to be centered on herself. Lastly, her Energetic Effects now last for 2d6 Rounds, or half that on a failed save.

Energy Weapons
At 4th level, the Kineticist gains more control over the energies she channels. She may, instead of using her Lash ability, channel her currently chosen energies into any manufactured weapon she chooses to wield. The weapon deals an additional 1 point of Energy damage per Kineticist level.

Energetic Effects
Energetic Effects: At 6th level, the Kineticist's Lash and Bolt attacks deal additional status effects based upon the energy type used to deal the damage. A creature can only be subjected to one of these effects per round. Each effect allows a Fortitutude Save DC: (10 + Kineticist Level + CHA mod) to negate the effect.
Acid: Save or be Sickened for 1 round.
Cold: Save or be Blinded for 1 round.
Electricity: Save or be Entangled for 1 round.
Fire: Save or be Dazed for 1 round.
Sonic: Save or be Deafened for 1 round.

Elemental Shield
At sixth level, a Kineticist is able to protect themselves with their chosen element. Once per encounter, as an immediate action, the Kineticist may activate this ability. Doing so covers their body in a sheet of their Lash element, granting the Kineticist a +4 Dodge bonus to AC – in addition, any creature striking the Kineticist in melee takes 1 point of damage per Kineticist level. This ability lasts 1 round per Kineticist level.

Energetic Aura
At 8th level, the Kineticist can, with minimal effort, begin to exert control over energies she is not directly in contact with. Twice per day, as a swift action, the Kineticist may activate her aura. Doing so grants all allies (but not the Kineticist herself) additional energy damage equal to (1d6 + ˝ the Kineticist's level). The energy type matches the Kineticist's chosen Primary Energy. The Kineticist may use this ability once a day for every 3 levels she has in the Kineticist class. (Level 9 = 3 uses, for example.)

Energetic Travel
The Kineticist gains additional movement modes dependent upon which energy type they choose. This choice reflects the Primary Energy chosen each day, and can not be changed until the Primary Energy is changed:
Acid: Kineticist gains a burrow speed equal to their movement speed + 20 feet. They leave a useable tunnel behind themselves. She also gains a Circumstance Bonus to her Balance checks equal to ˝ her class level.
Cold: The Kineticist gains a swim speed equal to their movement speed + 20 feet. They also gain the ability to breather under water for a number of minutes equal to their class level. She also gains a Circumstance bonus to any Swim checks equal to ˝ her class level.
Electricity: The Kineticist may, as a swift action, teleport a number of feet equal to their movement speed + 20. They disappear and reappear in a bolt of lightning, and may not do this in stealth. She also gains a Dodge bonus to her Tumble checks equal to ˝ her Kineticist level.
Fire: The Kineticist gains a flight speed equal to their movement speed + 20, with Good maneuverability. They fly encased in a nimbus of fire, and doing so incurs a -20 to any Hide check they make. She gains, however, a Circumstance bonus to her Escape Artist checks equal to ˝ her Kineticist level.
Sonic: The Kineticist gain's Air Walk, as the spell. This effect lasts for 24 hours, however. In addition, she gains a Circumstance bonus on her Move Silently checks equal to ˝ her class level

Greater Energetic Body
At 10th level, the Kineticist's inherent bond to energy intensifies. This ability functions identically to Energetic Body except as noted here. The Kineticist's Energy Resistance becomes equal to (10 + Kineticist's Level). She also becomes Immune to her chosen Primary Element

Energetic Builder
At 12th level, the Kineticist is able to form obstructions out of pure elements. They may create one 10' x 5' x 20' segment of wall per 1d8 of lash damage. Each segment must be connected to another segment, and if they aren't connected (forming a circle or square or whatever) must be anchored onto some sort of existing structure. They may have one wall in existence for every 4 class levels, up to 5 walls at 20th level. Any creature passing through the wall takes ˝ of the Kineticist's normal Lash damage.

Elemental Death
A Kineticist who reaches 14th level can, as a full attack action, attempt to change the fluids of one living creature within 30 feet to a pure element. The target must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 14 + ˝ the Kineticist's level + Kineticist’s Cha modifier) or die horrifically as its blood (or other internal fluid) is turned to pure energy. Even on a successful save, the target takes Lash damage.

Energy Mastery
At 16th level, the Kineticist's mastery of energy is reaching new heights. She may, one per day per 2 class levels, Empower, Maximize, or Widen one Energetic effect of her choosing. These effects work just like the Metamagic feats of the same name, but can only be applied to the Kineticist's abilities.

Energy Admixture
At 18th level, the Kineticist gains some measure of her true elemental self. She no longer needs to eat, sleep, or breathe. In addition, she gains +4 to her Charisma score. She also undergoes some minor cosmetic change associated with her transformation into an elemental creature.

Absolute Energy
At 20th level, the Kineticist fully transforms into a creature of energy. Her type changes to Elemental, and he is immune to stunning, critical hits, and massive damage. She effectively gains the abilities (natural attacks, movement modes, special attacks, and special qualities) of any “pure” (Fire, Earth, Water, Air) elemental of his size. The Kineticist's energetic form matches her chosen Primary Energy each day.

This transformation gives the Kineticist an additional +4 to his charisma score. The DC's of any elemental abilities he uses are (20 + Charisma Mod).

Decatus
2012-02-05, 10:44 PM
Reserved for stuff and things. Thread is open for discussion. Please give honest and critical critique; though keep in mind this is my first try at homebrewing a class. Thank you in advance to everyone who will be helping me with this project. :smallbiggrin:

Kane0
2012-02-05, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the world of homebrewing! Good luck, and I hope you dont get demoralised about replies and views and such.

Anyway, to PEACHing.
This looks like a neat class here. Ill put in my 2 cents.

Saves: Im not usually a fan of having more than one good save without good reason, but many others do. Ill leave that to personal preference.

Skills: All good, but it looks like some of those skills are stepping on other classes toes. Just be careful of what role you want to fill and SADness in case you end up with Kineticists with too much INT and too many skill points. If you want a skillmonkey/blaster mix thats fine too, but you may want to alter your abilities to suit if thats the case.

Trapfinding: Seems a bit out of place, but then again i've seen it on weirder classes.

Energy Lash: All good, seeing as your not applying Warlock-like essences and shapes in the conventional way the damage increase is a good move

Elemental Flux: You might want to work this better. As i looked at it i wondered what the ability itself actually did. You might want to specify what abilities it acts on.

Energy Bolts: As Energy Lash, good stuff

Energetic Form: You have two completely different abilities here, some might say three. You may want to split them into different abilities to scale better, giving a cone and burst at seperate levels, and spreading out that energy resistance (and to what). I think 15 to all energy at level 4 is a bit much. Never harmed by own energy effects should be a given at level 1

Energy Weapons: Neat and useful, might want to give details on duration, action cost and whether you need concentration

Energy Shield: I dont think distraction is a valid form of ac? Anyway its a good ability, damage might be a little low though. Maybe reference fire shield for a comparison.

Energetic Coat: Also a cool ability, but you may want to clean it up a little. Is it permanent? Does it cost you? Does it stack with Energy Weapons? Things like that

Energetic travel: May need touching up thematically, but solid ability.

Greater Energetic Form: Cool, good scaling

Body of Energy: See energetic form, but immunity to your selected element is cool.

Energetic Builder: Nice replication of a wall effect, no complaints

Elemental Death: Excellent. Wait, Psionic focus?

Perfect Elemental Form: Inconsistency in names, and the line effect is probably a little late. The splash from your bolts is getting a but much, you probably dont want more than 10ft. So maybe make this one 10 ft and make Greater Energetic Form 5ft?

Energy Admixture: Good late level benefits, with fluff thrown in for good measure. Not much mechanical benefit, but not really necessary given how well things are going (and it is level 18 after all)

Omnimental: At this point im pretty confused how our switching between Elemental and Energy terminology. Another +4 to cha would probably be a bit much, but then again capstones are hard to i cant advise a better option right now sorry :smalleek:. Immunities are good. May want to fix up wording to specify your elemental form matches the element you chose at level 1, if that was your intention.

If you throw in some custom feats and such just for Kineticists this would surely fit well into a game i reckon. Well id use one anyway :smallwink:.

Overall i like what you've done here. If your aiming for a decent blaster this fits the bill perfectly! Hope I helped. By the way would you be interested in looking over any of my homebrews in turn?

gkathellar
2012-02-05, 11:53 PM
Needs Wild Talent at first level.

Decatus
2012-02-06, 12:19 AM
Kane, thanks for going in depth. Don't worry, in depth commentary won't turn me off. I'll work on getting the abilities cleaned up and straightened out a bit sometime tomorrow, as I'm getting ready for bed now. Just wanted to pop on and say thanks.

Additionally, I am going for a skill monkey/blaster type class. It was requested by my brother, who enjoys playing rogue types, but also likes to light things on fire. I'm starting it up because I've got a bit better familiarity with the game system, and the desire to actually get it done.

Lastly, this class is intended for roughly tier 3 play in D&D 3.5e, with small amounts of home brew and pathfinder thrown in.

Kane0
2012-02-07, 04:47 PM
Very nice improvements, well done!

Decatus
2012-02-07, 09:44 PM
Thanks a lot, Kane. I'm hoping to get it play tested soon, to see how balanced it actually is.